What is wrong with the offensve line?

Jetsbb

7 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Seriously they were much much better last year. QB cant do a play action pass without three guys in his face and defenders running free with no one blocking. They are paying Osemele 11 mill and Ryan Kalil 8 mill that's a lot of money for such horrendous performances.

No hyperbole, it’s about the worst unit I’ve seen in a very, very long time.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Seriously they were much much better last year. QB cant do a play action pass without three guys in his face and defenders running free with no one blocking. They are paying Osemele 11 mill and Ryan Kalil 8 mill that's a lot of money for such horrendous performances.

Overweight

Over rated

Overpaid

Uncoach-able

Other than that they are the future.

• Upvote 1

It’s been a combination of things. Poor play, poor communication, poor recognition by all, and poor game planning. Beachum is a mediocre OT who doesn’t matchup against the top tier pass rushers. To leave him out on an island is absurd. All QB’s have missed pre-snap adjustments. Numerous times I’ve seen Kalil and Winters hand gesturing back and forth pre-snap, a sign of confusion. Up until today Shell was the only one playing somewhat decently, but it seems he had a bad day today. 

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Osemele is WASHED and the Jets took the bait on him. Kalil should have stayed on the couch. If Edoga isn’t playing next week, he can’t play ever 

Edoga is legit, trust me on this one. And as much as I dislike Harrison he's a better player than Kalil right now. Watching Kalil trying to block someone with his back today was the icing on the cake.

Unfortunately we can't make the coaching staff make the necessary changes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The talent is awful. The two guys we brought in as upgrades (Osemele and Kalil) have been dreadful and Beachum and Winters seem like they've regressed.

The scheme also seems to be making things worse -- I can't tell if the players just aren't communicating/executing or what but there are often blown assignments and free rushers. I can't remember seeing a worse Jets o-line and I remember Adrian Clarke and Anthony Clement.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The offensive line is my biggest concern right now.

we're down a starting QB, they played the defending champs, bad things are gonna happen. Fine. But the complete lack of protection, the broken assignments or lack of communication or both, is beyond the pale awful. The Jets receivers aren't exactly elite, but they and the QB are given no chance by an offensive line that seems to be out schemed at every turn. They cant develop any time for plays beyond 5 yards because the QB has no time.

It's sad watching an edge rusher beat Beachum badly or all the interior lineman stuck blocking ONE defender somehow. The Kicker killed their chance of being at least 1-2 but it's the O-line's baffling awful play that's killing the Jets offense. They shouldn't look this bad without Sam, and honestly it wasn't much better with him either. He and Bell (and maybe Herndon) cant do much with this.

I really am starting to think kalil was a mistake in hindsight.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I just don’t get how they actually got worse! Looks like the worst line in the league. Had me fooled. Shell looks ok but the rest look like a bunch victims. If your fantasy league gives points for sacks take which team is playing the Jets and your rack up. But seriously next game they should swap guys out or move them around this isn’t working 

Oline play is a function of many things, including the ability of a qb to read and set the protection packages. 

Right now from what i've seen that they aren't doing well against exotic blitzes, particularly up the center.  Collins and Hightower were destroying us up the middle.  The Bills did something similar.  That's likely communication issues and a failure to get presnap reads.

Against Cleveland it was primarily a 1-1 talent mismatch between Myles Garret and Shell/Beachum

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

At the very least, they must replace the O-line coach. Most of the O-line players are NFL caliber talent, so it's either the scheme or the coaches. Actually it all falls on the coaches if the scheme doesn't fit with what the players strengths are. The truly good coaches adopt their schemes to their players strengths rather than try to fit them into their own schemes. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I was assured by the brain trust that benching Harrison and implementing a ZONE BLOCKING SCHEME was going to fix everything.

Funny thing is he may be our best lineman. They should at least play him at Guard. Although if it was up to me he’d be in at center next game 

Just now, jetsjets said:

Funny thing is he may be our best lineman. They should at least play him at Guard. Although if it was up to me he’d be in at center next game 

No. The funny thing is that what we're watching now is the predictable, logical, and inevitable result of all the stuff everybody was giving the team the ol' slurpy derp over for the entire summer. My cassandra complex has a cassandra complex.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I'd have no problem spending every pick on OL this off-season

We have to make sure we take a tackle and wr with our first two picks because that is the strength of the draft. Always draft to the strength of the draft....only fools think they can deal with scraps after the inevitable run on the strongest positions.  

We still have free agency to get another guard. 

• Sympathy 1