Is McCarthy reinventing himself?

JA33

Wonder what he realized about the Jets to say it wasn't the right fit?

I know the easy joke to make is about the roster(and is accurate) but he could have figured that out without interviewing.

Ownership?  Maccagnan? Maybe family related reasons?  Wish they would have expanded on that.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I know the easy joke to make is about the roster(and is accurate) but he could have figured that out without interviewing.

Ownership?  Maccagnan? Maybe family related reasons?  Wish they would have expanded on that.

I think the Jets were locked in on Greg Williams - forcing him on any coach.  Not a great way to recruit top flight HC’s.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Unemployed People do that all the time. 

Is that what Baker is doing? Reinventing himself? lol

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

449689072_ScreenShot2019-12-09at2_41_28PM.png.ed29163f755bba998d971713772757d6.png

Why does Baker look and dress like an unemployed alcoholic?

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/149064-do-the-browns-have-an-osemele-problem-with-obj/?do=findComment&comment=4314788

• Haha 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, just look at how the Packers crumbled when he left....

Just look at how awful Ryan Tannehill looks after getting away from Gase.

Tannehil looked promising before gase, went totally downhill with gase and now looks great.

Darnold does not look as good with Gase.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tannehil looked promising before gase, went totally downhill with gase and now looks great.

Look at Aaron Rodgers. Despite being an all time great QB, he hasn't won more than 10 games since 2014. 

Fire McCarthy. 

2019 record so far: 10-3. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Huh? 

He publicly and shamelessly threw himself at the Jets, announcing "take me!, I'm yours" and the jets were like nah, I'm good. 

You think there's one iota of truth to him now saying he knew it wasnt the right fit? This is about as transparent face saving as you get 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Tannehill has thrown for 15 TDs in nine games and averages 220 yards passing on a team built around a back that already has 1,250 yards rushing. He’s managing the game, which is nice. He had QB ratings of 93.5 and 92.7 under Gase his last two years on a depleted Dolphins team when he wasn’t injured. 

• Upvote 3

Interesting article and as far as the Jets are concerned its too little too late.
I was hoping McCarthy was doing this "re-evaluation" of his offense last year
after he got fired.  If he did he would've been a layup hire.  The article also
proves that the rumors of McCarthy's "offensive staleness" was true

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Huh? 

He publicly and shamelessly threw himself at the Jets, announcing "take me!, I'm yours" and the jets were like nah, I'm good. 

You think there's one iota of truth to him now saying he knew it wasnt the right fit? This is about as transparent face saving as you get 

See the thing is, I don't remember any of that.  I couldn't even remember if he interviewed before I read the article.  Thanks for clarifying

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

See the thing is, I don't remember any of that.  I couldn't even remember if he interviewed before I read the article.  

It was widely reported that he wanted to be the HC here. It was also reported that his interview sucked and the Jets weren’t impressed.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Interesting article and as far as the Jets are concerned its too little too late.
I was hoping McCarthy was doing this "re-evaluation" of his offense last year
after he got fired.  If he did he would've been a layup hire.  The article also
proves that the rumors of McCarthy's "offensive staleness" was true

This is exactly what it is.  Had the jets hired him he would not have changed a thing.  People I know even said that he was staunchley in the camp of keeping his same offense and hiring joe philbin as his OC again (there were also rumors of kevin gilbride).  The fact that he's "re-evaluating the current offenses in the league"  shows that this was true at the time.  I'm not sure how he would have been as a coach here, but one thing is for sure, he wouldnt have been changing anything he did from GB had we hired him, and his leash would be wayyyyy longer than Gase'

I don't know if McCarthy would have been the better hire but I found this interesting...

"And the Packers were constantly evolving in other areas, whether McCarthy was shuffling the roles of his assistant coaches (and occasionally regretting it, such as when he handed over offensive play-calling to Tom Clements in 2015, only to take it back by season's end) or overhauling their weekly practice schedule to take care of players' bodies."

With all the injuries this year, I'm not sure if it is just bad luck or the way Gase runs his practices, but I like that McCarthy adapted. 

Adam Gase since 2015, as a Head Coach primarily in change of play-calling and offense, has put up offenses ranked 21, 24, 25, 31 & now 31 in 2019.

There are and endless number of excuses/reasons people use to defend Gase's performance.  

But at some point the old adage, "you are what your record says you are" is true.

For most of these years Gase had a final say in who played, and a material say in who stayed, and who got moved off the team.

At what point do the excuses run out, and the record hes accumulated stick to him?

We're going to likely finish dead last in Offense in 2019, barring last minute great games.

Gase will be back in 2020.  What offensive ranking does he need to make to show he isn't just a guy who can produce bottom 5 and bottom 10 offenses?

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

LOL 

As I told crusher yesterday when he posted that, I love Mayfield, but that just isn’t a good look for him... grow back the beard Baker!!!

Him and the Browns are going to finish the year either 6-2 or 7-1 though to end up at or above .500 though, so maybe he’s just superstitious?

As far as McCarthy, I didnt watch the video, because I have no interest in him. I gather though he said we “weren’t a good fit?” Ha Ha, no it was more like the Jets thought HE wasn’t a fit at all.

I think they were right. Gase has done a great job, all things considered. We have 5 wins with a terrible, injury depleted roster.

He has also done a great job with Darnold. He’s simplified the offense, has limited the mistakes Darnold can make by going with a lot of quick, short passes, mixing in a deep ball or two to Robbie, even though he knows Darnold struggles with that.

Sam’s numbers look decent as a result, hopefully his confidence is up, and we’ve won 5 games. Gase is smart enough to realize when you keep it simple, and limit Sam’s mistakes we are still good enough to beat any mediocre or bad team.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think they were right. Gase has done a great job, all things considered. We have 5 wins with a terrible, injury depleted roster.

He has also done a great job with Darnold. He’s simplified the offense, has limited the mistakes Darnold can make by going with a lot of quick, short passes, mixing in a deep ball or two to Robbie, even though he knows Darnold struggles with that.

Bingo.

We have a good head coach, finally.  Winning games with a patchwork roster in the face of ludicrous fan behavior.  Let's celebrate that.  We have a franchise quarterback, finally.  Winning games with the 31st rushing attack and arguably one of the weakest receiving corps in the NFL.  Let's celebrate that.

With those two pieces in place, plus an outstanding defensive coordinator, the 2019 season is not a loss.  It sets us up for a very competitive 2020.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bingo.

We have a good head coach, finally.  Winning games with a patchwork roster in the face of ludicrous fan behavior.  Let's celebrate that.  We have a franchise quarterback, finally.  Winning games with the 31st rushing attack and arguably one of the weakest receiving corps in the NFL.  Let's celebrate that.

With those two pieces in place, plus an outstanding defensive coordinator, the 2019 season is not a loss.  It sets us up for a very competitive 2020.

SAR I

I don’t understand the people here who are critical of Gase.

Look in the game threads, it’s ridiculous. Every time a play doesn’t work, he’s an idiot and should be fired for either

a. calling too many run plays

b. not calling enough run plays

The guy is doing a great job. The problem is nobody looks at the big picture. They refuse to admit he kept this team together, wouldn’t let them quit, and as a result, we got to see a nice winning streak.

I don’t know what else Jet fans could’ve wanted from him this year.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He was injured under Gase.  

Won when he was healthy.

You can find the dark side no matter the comment.

But do go on or come back because you can then explain how the difference in talent between the Titans and the Dolphins has no bearing on how the QB plays. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was injured under Gase.  

Won when he was healthy.

You can find the dark side no matter the comment.

But do go on or come back because you can then explain how the difference in talent between the Titans and the Dolphins has no bearing on how the QB plays. 

Injury riddled team wins 4-5 games.

Jets fans: “our HC sucks, fire him!!!”

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure if he was the best choice but he was a far better choice than Gase.

I was banking on the Mccarthy hire as well as him re-inventing himself. This further proves that he would of done what’s right and changed his playbook up.

I’m a fan and I definitely don’t always know what I’m talkin about but McCarthy would of been far better than Gase. You’re getting a super bowl winner, a guy who developed two HOF QB’s, one a top 10 QB of all time and the other a top 5 QB of all time. He would of came in and demanded respect immediately. Well . . . It’s too late now.

13 hours ago, JA33 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001084451/article/expackers-coach-mike-mccarthy-eyes-nfl-return-in-2020

I thought this was rather interesting piece. I know a lot of people on this board don’t like him and didn’t want him. Personally I think he would’ve been a great match for Darnold. I think he is trying to reinvent himself. I think he is going to do well next year. And we will be stuck with the genius! 

What does it tell you when an unemployed former head coach has to "re-invent" himself? 

Answer: He was not the answer to our, or any other team's, coaching needs last year. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I was banking on the Mccarthy hire as well as him re-inventing himself. This further proves that he would of done what’s right and changed his playbook up.

I’m a fan and I definitely don’t always know what I’m talkin about but McCarthy would of been far better than Gase. You’re getting a super bowl winner, a guy who developed two HOF QB’s, one a top 10 QB of all time and the other a top 5 QB of all time. He would of came in and demanded respect immediately. Well . . . It’s too late now.

Thank goodness it’s “too late now”...

I wasn’t on board with the Gase hire last offseason, and I still had my doubts after the way he handled those games when Darnold was out with mono.

I’ve watched what he’s done here since, and become very impressed by his leadership and his belief in himself and what he’s doing.

I’m willing to admit I was wrong about him, I think we chose the right guy. Now if Joe Douglas can do what was advertised, the Jets will have a young HC, GM combo that can bring stability and credibility to this organization for the first time in ages.