Sam

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Throwing to practice squad guys is a great reason why we're not competitive with the best teams in the NFL.  It's not a reason for ill advised throws.

Overall how do you think he played today?  

That int was absolutely brutal.  I've gotten to the point where I'm waiting for that play or a similar play to happen every game and I don't like that feeling one bit .

Outside of that, he played better than I was expecting against that D.  

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Fkc It I would really consider Tua If i was JD.

Yeah...draft an ALA QB coming off 2 ankle surgeries in the past 2 years...that'll work.

Starr, Namath and Stabler have been the ONLY quality NFL QBs to come out of Alabama, and at least I am old enough to have seen each of them play football...but I'm 60 now and that was a LONG time ago.

• Upvote 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

That int was absolutely brutal.  I've gotten to the point where I'm waiting for that play or a similar play to happen every game and I don't like that feeling one bit .

Good Fair Post.  That INT was bad I don’t deny it.  Whether it  was miscommunication or not it was a bad decision.  Overall I liked what he did tonight.  Needs better oline desperately  

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

Yeah...draft an ALA QB coming off 2 ankle surgeries in the past 2 years...that'll work.

Starr, Namath and Stabler have been the ONLY quality NFL QBs to come out of Alabama, and at least I am old enough to have seen each of them play football...but I'm 60 now and that was a LONG time ago.

What qbs came out of USC? See how that works

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

And how about Le'Veon Bell?  I suppose he has an excuse too for not being over 1,000 yards yet this season?

(Hopefully people understand sarcasm around here.)

That’s just concurring evidence how horrific the OL has been virtually all season.  Darnold usually with zero time to throw and Hall Of Fame back fails to run for 1,000 yds...first season....you get 63 yards a game...you’re got 1,000 yards.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Theyre blaming Darnold for an INT where his backup TE ran the wrong route.

A fumble where he was overrun by the DL

He has no time to throw to WRs who cant get open quick enough

All things considering who we're playing and who he's playing with, hes played well tonight.  

You want patience?

Perfectly said. I don't get it. It's like the haters don't realize there are 10 other guys on the field. When Green Bay stunk last year, it must have been because Aaron Rodgers is terrible and couldnt make others around him better, correct?

I mean if you can't see Sam has talent unlike anything we've seen with Sanchez, Geno, or the long list of bums we've had recently, you're lost. When you have a guy with talent, you build around him and give him a chance to grow. Not chase him away after every bad throw

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

That’s just concurring evidence how horrific the OL has been virtually all season.  Darnold usually with zero time to throw and Hall Of Fame back fails to run for 1,000 yds...first season....you get 63 yards a game...you’re got 1,000 yards.

So if Bell is performing at roughly 60-70% of what he usually does because of the OLine are we saying that Sam's 2TD, 1 INT performance should be graded similarly?  Or do we hold the second year QB to a higher standard than Le'Veon Bell and expect more out of him?

Serious question.

• Post of the Week 1

I don’t care if Sam throws 5 interceptions per game. He has no offensive line, no running game, no tight end, and no consistent receiver. 

If you think he’s the issue, then you’re completely wrong. I am not saying he’s the perfect QB but give the guy at least a couple seconds to throw. Get him some consistent playmakers. Sam is NOT the issue. Our lack of playmakers and our lack of protection are the issues. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Overall, he played okay.  Better than I expected too, but I expected Gase to limit him significantly.  But, also not good enough to make a game of it.

He made a number of nice plays, but missed a number of them as well.  He's good at what everyone sees him do well.  Roll out, limit his options and the defenders in his view, and find the guy who's open.  Ask him to routinely make smart decisions with the full field in play, and you consistently see that he's not there yet.  The ridiculously bad decisions happen way too often, and you can't just keep excusing them away.

• Upvote 2

The “sloppy magic” that Orlovsky raves about is dazzling, until it turns into recklessness. And it too often does. As someone already mentioned, it’s gotten to the point where I hold my breath when he throws the ball because I know the boneheaded play is eventually coming.  Tonight was the classic example. He looked great, was moving the team, making smart throws. Then, just when he lulls you into thinking he’s turned a corner, poof!, a mind-boggling interception that leaves you wondering what the hell he was thinking. This is how it plays out over and over and over again and it’s seriously deflating. It knocks the wind out of fans, but more importantly his teammates. Whether he’s able to clean up this weakness in his game is anybody’s guess. But he will definitely fail if he doesn’t. 

The Jets are not good enough to win with Sam being OK. To get to the next level, he  has to sometimes make something out of nothing, like all great qb's do. That means running once in a while for a third down. We have a lot of nothing, and we need someone who can take that nothing, and turn it into something, sometimes.  Didn't know Sam Darnold was Kenny Obrien.  All clutch qb's do it. That is what makes Fitz servicable, because he can run  for those first downs when there is nothing else. I remember in the days of Geno, the OC  told Geno that you will have to make at least 2 run plays this game, in order for us to win. And it was true.  When overmatched, a qb will run a lot because it's off script and it's a great way to keep things going. Even Brady ran last week. And Eli. Our young stud can't get some gravy yardage once in a while?

I'm as frustrated with Darnold as anyone but until you get him a OL you really cant give him a fair evaluation. You got a career  backup center  who helped get Andrew Luck killed and a shot LT who should be gone 2 back up Guards look at Bell behind the line he looks like a third string RB. Add in the lack of having no decent #1 WR and you see why this team is so bad. What people should be mad at is how Mac left the state of this team, the defense with all its injuries looks decent the offense is a disaster. Until the offense is completely rebuilt there is no way you can give Darnold a real evaluation the guy is getting killed behind that makeshift line.

• Post of the Week 1

One thing I think is he did really well despite lack of communication with his second and third string receivers.  Darnold not having Griffin this game was huge.  He's been Sam's go to all year.  So Anderson went 6/90.  Robbie 4/66 and even Vyncint Smith had three catches.  That's pretty good against a team that might win the SB this year.  Sam was spreading it around.  Even if they weren't getting as many first downs as they should.

2 thoughts.

1) Watching the Ravens yesterday, it was night and day the difference in protection for Jackson vs. Darnold. I'm actually somewhat encouraged by watching that Baltimore OL because Joe Douglas and some others in the front office came from Baltimore, so hopefully the Jets OL can look as good in 2 seasons. 

2) For as much of a genius as Gase allegedly is, you rarely see Darnold throwing to wide open guys. Jackson had a ton of easy reads and guys that were wide open to throw to. You have to give a lot of credit to Greg Roman. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Huge supporter here.

sh*tty INT.

sh*tty fumble.

Just saying...

Probably a sh*tty INT but I don't really blame him on the fumble.  Overall he was trying to make things happen despite a large disparity in talent.  I thought Sam's play was very encouraging last night.  I don't know what people were expecting from him.  I'm not saying he's above criticism but the score easily could've been 21-17 at halftime had his teammates not screwed up (especially on that long throw down the right sidelines where our WR slowed up).  I'm as optimistic as I've ever been on Sam.

• Sympathy 1

At this point, I think he is who he is.  He will get better as he hasn’t been a qb for that long, but I think he is always going to make some great plays and some big mistakes.  Overall it averages out to be mediocre, and that is okay.  They can win with that.  You just need better coaching and a better team around him.  

8 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Perfectly said. I don't get it. It's like the haters don't realize there are 10 other guys on the field. When Green Bay stunk last year, it must have been because Aaron Rodgers is terrible and couldnt make others around him better, correct?

I mean if you can't see Sam has talent unlike anything we've seen with Sanchez, Geno, or the long list of bums we've had recently, you're lost. When you have a guy with talent, you build around him and give him a chance to grow. Not chase him away after every bad throw

I completely agree.

I think sometimes players like Sam take the brunt of the fans anger over the fact that the team has been bad for so long. Fans are just frustrated and become irrational because of that. It's not Sam's fault the teams bad, it's not even Joe Douglas' fault. But the fans have to witness it year after year and many are going to blame the people they have to see everyday.

Sam can clearly play. He's growing as a QB. There's some things in his game he needs to improve on, but he went up against a really good defense in a primetime game and did not play bad. I was worried Sam and the Jets offense were going to get destroyed last night by the Ravens on defense similar to what the Pats did and it didn't happen. The team around Sam needs to get better, that's JD's job.

• Sympathy 1

In his last 7 games , playing with no talent, he has been pretty good.

151 of 244 (63%); 1800 yards; 12 TDS  (plus 2 more rushing) 4 int, 1 FL, 7.4 YPA

Over 16 games that’s 4100 yards, 27 TDS (4 more rushing) 9 Int 2 FL

Imagine if he had an OL, a running game, and talented WRs

Post of the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk