AJ Green

I was talking with my friend about him yesterday, and  I think this is a player who the Jets may look at for next year, but is it a good idea?

The injury scares me, as well as his age that is creeping up there(hard to believe he's been around as long as he has already!), but if healthy, he could be exactly the type of player to help Sam continue to grow.

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

they already have AJ Green next year in Demaryus Thomas. 

Agreed.  I would rather keep Thomas around for another year if we want a veteran presence at WR -- at least he has been healthy this season and has established some chemistry with Darnold.  No need for two 30+ WRs taking up roster spots.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

The Jets will most likely draft 2 WRs and they need to start developing their youth. With Crowder already on the books and possibly Enunwa coming back (unlikely) I highly doubt the Jets will be signing the likes of AJ Green.  

Enunwa is headed for retirement 

Agree the jets have to draft a WR.  No more defensive players RD 1 

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If Enunwa retires he leaves a ton of money on the table b/c he has injury guarantee money and a lot of it. There's really no reason for him to do that when he can AT WORST sit on IR and get paid. If the Jets cut him, again, they owe him a ton of money and there will be a ton of dead $$$. Him coming back healthy is the best thing for both parties. 

The Jets aren't at the point where getting the last year or two out of talented, but often injured player is what they need.  We need guys for Sam to build chemistry with, not really one-and-done type guys.

There will be upgrades at WR simply because there has to be.  But, I'd try to keep several of the guys who Sam has worked with.  Obviously Crowder is under contract and stays.  I think D. Thomas might not be a bad idea for another year or so.  Robby is a wild card....I'd like to keep him but we can't break the bank to do so.  He's a WR2/3.  Vyncint Smith continues to be an intriguing guy and I'd like to see the Jets continue to develop him.  The Jets have to Draft a WR, hopefully very early.  Putting a new guy at the top of the depth chart (be it Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Shenault, Higgins, etc.) would be great and would move everyone down a rung on the ladder.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Not while he's got an injury guarantee on his contract.

However I'd agree that's more a cap situation than a real availability scenario. Even if we have to keep him due to a guarantee, and even if he's finally deemed healthy after his guarantee has kicked in, he can't be relied upon to suit up all season long. They'd be better off cutting him once he's healthy just to avoid the following year's guarantee also getting guaranteed. 

What a mess. 

Remember how $20MM in guarantees wasn't a real guarantee and don't worry the way Big Macc structured it he can be cut after just 1 year? Yeah, well if this most recent neck injury is a career-ending one, it's going to be $20MM for part of 1 game this year. $9MM signing bonus while he was on IR in December 2018, plus $1MM officially categorized as salary for 2019, plus $6MM injury-guaranteed salary in 2020, plus another $4MM injury-guaranteed salary in 2021. 

If he kinda-retires due to injury I don't know the process. He may have to hold off on the announcement, and be retired in practice but not in name, unless the team just agrees to pay it all up front as an injury settlement that gets refunded if he gets medically cleared to play elsewhere between now and the first week of March, 2021. @jason423 would have to chime in on that before I know if that's totally right, but I don't need him to tell me what a stupid contract that was for such an injury-prone player. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PepPep said:

If Enunwa retires he leaves a ton of money on the table b/c he has injury guarantee money and a lot of it. There's really no reason for him to do that when he can AT WORST sit on IR and get paid. If the Jets cut him, again, they owe him a ton of money and there will be a ton of dead $$$. Him coming back healthy is the best thing for both parties. 

Enunwa is done

so is AJ Green

• Upvote 2

Just now, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

You think Winston is the answer there? You know what he is by now and that's a qb that will win you some games and also lose you a ton. If they were to sign him to a long term extension they would be stuck in mediocrity for however long the contract is.

Winston isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

You can’t really depend on rookie WRs... I would sign AJ Green in a heart beat

That’s the problem with our philosophy u have to develop rookie WRs at some point this franchise keeps thinking it can sign free agents no one else wants and find the next superstar

• Upvote 1