As an absolute surprise to no one, Gase has lost the locker room

Ohhthepain

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Don’t know if Gase has lost team or not but I do think he gets another year. We all know that the team is injury riddled but to make the argument that the Offense has a bunch of street free agents and that is the reason why the Offense is playing particularly poorly one can just look across the hall so to speak at our defense and what is universally agreed upon on this board what a great job that Greg Williams is doing with just as many street free agents he has on defense. For that reason and many others I don’t think Gase survives a full season next year. I believe Gase will be fired by midway point of next season    Williams will be named interim head coach then eventually given the permanent title of head coach. 

I think there’s a good chance Williams takes another gig this offseason, perhaps even as a head coach somewhere. I can’t see him wanting to do another interim job, and the Jets, post-Gase, should set their heights a lot higher.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The team has won 4 of 6. They haven’t quit, despite how bad the talent level and injuries have been. You started a thread yesterday about Darnold, where you claimed he’s improved this year, which was with Gase as HC, and playing in his offense.

Youre losing me here. The team is finishing the year on an upswing, you think the QB is better, and yet you think the HC sucks and you want him fired because Bell isn’t getting enough passes in the flat?

Read what I said and you wouldn’t be lost, 14. I said any progress Sam has made has been mostly due to having a little more experience under his belt and probably whatever work he did in the offseason. I never claimed yesterday that there was a big jump in progression. I said there WAS progression, because statistically, there was. 77.6 to 84.3. 

Not enough to say Gase has been good enough in his developing of our QB that he should stay despite the overall view of the season. The QB can look better and we still have plenty of issues a good HC wouldn’t be having. 

Edit: screw the passes into the flat, that’s the most basic example of how to get Bell the ball...pretty much the only time you've seen Bell start the play off in space. He needs to be in the slot, on the wheel...anywhere on the perimeter.

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

You do realize beating those teams means nothing.  They are in worse shape than we are.  C'mon...have some common sense.  The teams were freakin terrible by any measure.

Back in August, most who saw the Jets schedule had us opening 2-4.

We opened 1-5.

Back in August, most had the Jets ceiling at 8-8.

We are likely to finish 7-9.

WTF is the problem?  What exactly is happening this season except for the fact that we have 18 players on IR and are still, remarkably, going to finish within a hair of the 8-8 ceiling everyone expected?

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

So now the criteria for being kept around is that the team hasn't quit.  Jeez.  Talk about having low, to essentially no, expectations.

Expect more BM.  Expect a winner.  You're actually happy with what you're seeing.  Whew...

You lost your leg in an aardvark attack.

You finish dead last in the NYC Marathon.

A. You are a complete disappointment, a huge embarrassing loser.
B. You are to be commended for your effort and an example of resilience.

Answer?

SAR I

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Drums said:

Shouting “take me with you” to the other team—I think it was the Steelers, and if it was, that’s even worse. 

It was “come get me”... that they were yelling. The meaning of which was completely misconstrued in the story we read here in a thread about it.

The Browns players were incensed at what they thought were cheap shots by the Arizona defense. They were calling them out, the way a boxer will shake his head at his opponent after taking a punch, and say something like, ‘yeah, that’s all you got?”...

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not pro-Gase to say that firing him after one season without having his replacement in hand is bad business

There are GOBS of replacements for fired coaches every year.  That is a non factor.

I can see people not wanting to move on after just one year even though  I disagree but there are many better replacements.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not pro-Gase to say that firing him after one season without having his replacement in hand is bad business

+1

And it's not pro-Gase to say that jury is still out.  Two things a head coach has to prove:

1.  Fight through adversity, motivate, and succeed against big obstacles.

2.  In-game strategy, halftime adjustments, clock management.

For #1, it's an A+.

For #2, it's an INC.

Let's get healthy in 2020 and see if we've got half a head coach or the real thing.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think there’s a good chance Williams takes another gig this offseason, perhaps even as a head coach somewhere. I can’t see him wanting to do another interim job, and the Jets, post-Gase, should set their heights a lot higher.

TOm. I may not have conveyed the meaning of the post clearly. As stated I don’t think Gase survives the full season next year. Williams takes over the reins for the remainder of the season then gets offered the head coaching job at the end of the season. But first the Jets according to league rules must interview minority head coaching candidates to fill the vacancy. I totally agree with you that Williams would not accept interim job without assurances that he would be offered the Head Coach job on a permanent basis after the protocol has been fulfilled

42 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The only thing I disagree with (and I don’t want him fired) is the idea that if we did, no qualified candidate would want his job. There are 32 HC positions, 5 to 7 become available each year. At the minimum, these guys are given 4 year deals for millions of dollars.

I wouldn’t want a person who turned down one of these opportunities because of the way his predecessor was let go. I’d want the guy who has enough confidence in his own ability that he’d take it thinking he’d be the one who turns things around and stays here as long as he wants to.

Hypothetical: You are a 48 year old assistant coach. You started out coaching a poorly funded high school team for eight years, making $26,000 per, driving around on school buses to every mud pit field in, like, Mississippi. Then you got a shot at interning for a small college for a few years, for $18k, but you had to work part-time at Lowe’s to pay the bills. You work your way up to RB coach, then a season as OC before you got swept out with everyone else when the HC was let go. You spend the next ten years of your life bouncing around college football before that HC you were the OC for gets a job coaching RBs for a pro team and he finagles a way to get you another internship with his NFL squad, where you’re making $18k again. But you work, and you cut up tape until 4am every night, and you climb the ladder. You don’t sleep. You live on a couch in the office. You get fired again along with the staff. You get another job and start over. Finally, you land on a team that’s peaking at the exact right time, and you become a “hot” coordinator and a prospective head coach. You’ve spent thirty-plus years in the mud, sleeping on couches, ruining your life for the chance to coach an NFL team. And now you’re an elite head coaching prospect and you can pick your job. Perfect timing. The Jets job opens up.  Chris Johnson fires Adam Gase one year in. Woody Johnson is on his way back from destroying England. The team just scraped its way to 6-10, the talent is generally awful, but you have enough free agent money for two big starters, and you have the ninth overall pick in the draft. Your GM just gave the strong safety a four-year, $82 million dollar contract, so now you only have room for one big free agent. You need four new offensive linemen and two new receivers. And an EDGE. And a CB1. Manish Mehta is churning out multiple articles per day advocating the re-hiring of Rex Ryan. He starts writing articles about how you’re secretly awful and abrasive. The Cowboys call to interview you and Jerry offers you the moon. The Giants, too, offer a similar deal. The Jaguars call you, with their talented roster and zero state income. The Browns call. The Chargers. Chris Johnson calls you again and tries to sell you on all the lovely three-bedroom ranch houses going for $3.6 million in Alpine, NJ. Sam Darnold’s contract is effectively up in six months. Tell me again why you’d risk a lifetime of ladder-climbing to come work for this franchise unless it was your only option.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are GOBS of replacements for fired coaches every year.  That is a non factor.

I can see people not wanting to move on after just one year even though  I disagree but there are many better replacements.

Are there better replacements that you’d guarantee four years to?

12 minutes ago, CSNY said:

TOm. I may not have conveyed the meaning of the post clearly. As stated I don’t think Gase survives the full season next year. Williams takes over the reins for the remainder of the season then gets offered the head coaching job at the end of the season. But first the Jets according to league rules must interview minority head coaching candidates to fill the vacancy. I totally agree with you that Williams would not accept interim job without assurances that he would be offered the Head Coach job on a permanent basis after the protocol has been fulfilled

Yeah, but, why would you give that kind of guarantee to Gregg Williams? 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The team fired the worst general manager in the history of the sport in May. You want to fire the new coach for not coaching up the abysmally bad team that historically bad GM left behind to hire a different coach you cannot name who will get four years to prove he can coach a football team. Because you *know* Adam Gase can’t coach. But you *know* the new head coach probably could have done a better job with Chuma Edoga and Luke Falk

And don’t forget the generational talent Q. Was probably the only player Saban ever helped pack.?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hypothetical: You are a 48 year old assistant coach. You started out coaching a poorly funded high school team for eight years, making $26,000 per, driving around on school buses to every mud pit field in, like, Mississippi. Then you got a shot at interning for a small college for a few years, for $18k, but you had to work part-time at Lowe’s to pay the bills. You work your way up to RB coach, then a season as OC before you got swept out with everyone else when the HC was let go. You spend the next ten years of your life bouncing around college football before that HC you were the OC for gets a job coaching RBs for a pro team and he finagles a way to get you another internship with his NFL squad, where you’re making $18k again. But you work, and you cut up tape until 4am every night, and you climb the ladder. You don’t sleep. You live on a couch in the office. You get fired again along with the staff. You get another job and start over. Finally, you land on a team that’s peaking at the exact right time, and you become a “hot” coordinator and a prospective head coach. You’ve spent thirty-plus years in the mud, sleeping on couches, ruining your life for the chance to coach an NFL team. And now you’re an elite head coaching prospect and you can pick your job. Perfect timing. The Jets job opens up.  Chris Johnson fires Adam Gase one year in. Woody Johnson is on his way back from destroying England. The team just scraped its way to 6-10, the talent is generally awful, but you have enough free agent money for two big starters, and you have the ninth overall pick in the draft. Your GM just gave the strong safety a four-year, $82 million dollar contract, so now you only have room for one big free agent. You need four new offensive linemen and two new receivers. And an EDGE. And a CB1. Manish Mehta is churning out multiple articles per day advocating the re-hiring of Rex Ryan. He starts writing articles about how you’re secretly awful and abrasive. The Cowboys call to interview you and Jerry offers you the moon. The Giants, too, offer a similar deal. The Jaguars call you, with their talented roster and zero state income. The Browns call. The Chargers. Chris Johnson calls you again and tries to sell you on all the lovely three-bedroom ranch houses going for $3.6 million in Alpine, NJ. Sam Darnold’s contract is effectively up in six months. Tell me again why you’d risk a lifetime of ladder-climbing to come work for this franchise unless it was your only option.

Money only reason we all take sh*t jobs.

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You lost your leg in an aardvark attack.

You finish dead last in the NYC Marathon.

A. You are a complete disappointment, a huge embarrassing loser.
B. You are to be commended for your effort and an example of resilience.

Answer?

SAR I

Aardvark Attack. That's a coffee spitter. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SAR I said:

injuries.jpg

Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi wouldn't be better than 5-5 since Darnold's return.

This team is below expansion-level.  It is a miracle that we are doing this well.  Gase is coaching his ass off.  Probably the best coaching job we've seen since Parcells '97.

SAR I

Holy crap man lol. You just need to go back to making up catchy names for me.

31 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

It was “come get me”... that they were yelling. The meaning of which was completely misconstrued in the story we read here in a thread about it.

The Browns players were incensed at what they thought were cheap shots by the Arizona defense. They were calling them out, the way a boxer will shake his head at his opponent after taking a punch, and say something like, ‘yeah, that’s all you got?”...

Well then I was way off. But I still thunk the Jets have held it together well this year given all of the losing. And Cleveland is still a huge mess. 

Because it really doesn’t matter whether you think he’s a redeemable leader or not. The time for that assessment was back in January. You hired him to fix this sh*thole team and no man alive was going to do that in seven months time, and if you fire him for not being able to do what nobody could have done, you’re going to be standing here in March with your dick i your hand trying to coax Rob Ryan into taking this job because only a dead-ender like that would agree to take a job with an organization as demonstrably poorly run as this one is. 

No. we’re not doing the sunken cost crap if I’m in charge. We’ve seen enough to know there’s no long term mileage here. 

thankfully there’s a limited number of teams and vacancies that we’ll always be able to entertain candidates... tho you’re right - we become less attractive. Not so much so that begs waiting a year bc sunken cost said so 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

In that case, there is no issue. 

Because if players are motivated to play hard to keep their jobs then their rhetoric about head coaches and this "losing the lockeroom" thing is nothing but a myth.

SAR I

Your agenda has always been one of benign mystery. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Before the season started i talked about Gase, the man, believing that is more harmful to the team, than his questionable coaching abilities. It only took him one game to prove me right. Question for you. How did you feel about Gase, calling out his wide receivers publicly, after the first game of the year. Key word being Publicly?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Even the average fan watching on TV can see Gase has NO idea how to orchestrate a running game.  It's a bit of a handicap when the other team knows you're putting it all on Darnold.

Gase is awful, they shouldn't wait another year to fire him.  One and done. 

I think you’re right about just how he approaches the running attack. 

Let’s hope he changes his ways next year.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Ok, this makes sense, but thanks for ruing a lot of people’s Holiday, Mr. Scrooge...

?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Good post with one caveat...I don’t believe he gets a free pass on the injury situation.  It’s way too endemic to be bad luck. Something is wrong here and needs to be addressed.

IF you go back to his Miami days the team had a lot of injuries too... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

We opened 1-5.

WTF is the problem?  What exactly is happening this season except for the fact that we have 18 players on IR and are still, remarkably, going to finish within a hair of the 8-8 ceiling everyone expected?

SAR I

We are not finishing 7-9. WE will be lucky to be competitive in the next two games let alone win them.  

• Upvote 1

If this came from Glazer or Cimini I wouldn't question it, but this is Bleacher Report.  I'd like more than a one quote with no context about when or who said.  Gase is going nowhere for one more season.  You can jump up and down and scream until the cows come home.  That's not going to change.   I'm behind Johnson firing if Williams walks into that office at the end of th he season and says "I'm gone unless you change things immediately."  But I just don't see that happening.

Yeah, but, why would you give that kind of guarantee to Gregg Williams? 

TOm I personally would give that guarantee because as I have opined on other threads that his philosophy of winning football is the same as mine which is having a Top 5 defense and strong running game is the key to sustained winning football for many years. It has worked ever since the league has been in existence and continues to work. Having both these things you wear down your opponent and control the game which greatly improves the chance of winning. Admittedly an old fashioned philosophy which is not as exciting in today’s pass happy league but it works 

7 hours ago, CTM said:

No question the schedule got very favorable. However it's hard to say the team quit on him when they've been playing hard and winning games.

I'm not a Gase fan really, I didn't like the hire and don't like his resume. I do think we owe him a huge debt of gratitude for excising Mac so that alone almost buys him year 2 from me.  But I also believe the team has performed within the realm of reasonable expectations for it, given the lack of talent and injuries.

I think the reaction to him has been way over the top and I really don't get it. The billboard cretins have re-emerged 10 games into his career after years of silence on Mac who was unquestionably worse at his job than Gase is at his. I don't get it.

I agree with you.  I also don't understand how Gase's job could be in jeopardy when the last GM left the offensive line in shambles, then on top of that we lose our Tight end and our best wide receiver for the entire year (Enunwa).  Not to mention the mononucleosis and those missed games.  

The one thing I blame Gase for is the lousy backup QB's we had.  After Simeon got hurt (I don't like him), we have nothing even remotely good as backups.

Give Gase some better players on offense and then judge him.  Don't judge him on this crappy offense and offensive line.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes Darnold was always going to catch mono and Jamal Adams was always going to insult public school teachers on twitter. Scientifically inevitable. I believe Nostradamus even called this season at some point in his life.

(Starting at 7:40 in case the link I sent doesn't automatically jump there)

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

We opened 1-5.

SAR I

T0m pointed out that our preseason O/U was 6.5.  There's a good chance we go 5-11.

• Upvote 1