Don't dismiss the significance of this Jets surge

joewilly12

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Don’t dismiss the significance of this Jets surge

December 25, 2019 | 1:02pm

Skeptics step aside please: The arrow is pointed up for the Jets.

Merry Christmas, Jets fans, even to those of you who prefer to poke holes in the team’s second-half resurgence — 5-2 since the 1-7 start wrecked their playoff hopes.

Skepticism is a perfectly understandable emotion. After all, exactly what have the Jets done in the franchise’s frustrating history to earn your trust?

So, you’re free to turn your nose up at five wins in the past seven games entering Sunday’s season finale in Buffalo with a chance to finish a respectable (for the Jets, who we grade on a curve) 7-9 because:

•  The surge is too little, too late, having come in garbage time, after all hope of making the playoffs was extinguished.
  •  The five wins have come against a bunch of tomato cans — the Giants (4-11), Redskins (3-12), Dolphins (4-11), Raiders (7-8) and even the now-flailing Steelers (8-7) — teams with a combined current record of 26-49.
  •  The unacceptable 22-6 loss to then 0-11 Bengals. Enough said there.

Still, though, it’s important to recognize that the Jets won those five games, some of which you expected them to lose (such as last Sunday when that Devlin Hodges pass hung in their air for an eternity before Jets safety Marcus Maye batted it away from Steelers receiver James Washington in the end zone at the end of the game).

When the Patriots were going 8-0 to start the season, the talk was not about the terrible teams they were beating, it was about whether they might be able to go undefeated.

OK, maybe a bad analogy, comparing the Jets and Patriots in the same sentence. But you get the point: Teams can only play the opponent in front of them. image.gif.267c922a8f32daa303ee2e6ad4b719a7.gif

And, if the Jets had started the season winning five of the first seven games, their fans wouldn’t have been so quick to poke holes in that 5-2 start by bellyaching about lack of style points and the weak opponents.

If the Jets are able to beat the Bills, who won’t play their starters the entire game since they cannot alter their playoff seeding, they’ll finish 7-9. If Jets fans were told at the start of the season that’s the record they’d finish with, what would the perception of the team be with Adam Gase in his first year as the coach, implementing entirely new offensive and defensive systems?

Obviously, 7-9 isn’t good enough. But remember, we’re grading the Jets on a curve considering that they’re in the process of a finishing a fourth consecutive losing season and haven’t been to the playoffs since 2010.

It’s important to consider, too:

•  The Jets lost quarterback Sam Darnold for three games (Weeks 2, 3 and 4) to mononucleosis.
  •  They lost linebacker C.J. Mosley, the marquee offseason free-agent acquisition and a dynamic playmaker, essentially for the year in the season opener.
  •  Ten different players have started on the offensive line, which has had eight different five-man combinations in 15 games.

Excuses?

Sure they are. But facts, too.

And remember: The Jets never have been the most stable of franchises in the league, so when you throw those complications into the pot, the stew can start to go bad pretty quickly.

So, if nothing else, the Jets deserve some modicum of credit for not turning 1-7 into 3-13. For whatever that’s worth.

The Jets have some young, ascending, talented players on the roster and, if they don’t screw it up this offseason by trading safety Jamal Adams or letting linebacker Jordan Jenkins walk or giving away running back Le’Veon Bell for a bag of used golf balls, they have a pretty good chance to end the nine-year postseason drought in 2020.

“This team has more wins than in my rookie year when we had (Darrell) Revis, Sheldon (Richardson), Leo (Williams), (Matt) Forte, Fitz (Ryan Fitzpatrick), Brandon Marshall,” Jenkins told The Post, referring to the 2016 team that went 5-11. “That was a star-loaded team, and right now we’ve got more wins than we had that year. We’ve had half the team hurt, with new faces everywhere. image.gif.70836b783ada201530e849f0ca435d11.gif

“This team has overcome adversity. The second game in, you got the (Darnold) mono and before the first game (starting linebacker) Avery (Williamson) is out, and the first game C.J. goes down. I go down in the second game. Injuries on top of injuries, and we somehow managed to fight through it and keep stacking wins.”

What would 7-9 mean?

“It would show that this team didn’t quit,” Jenkins said. “Some teams, if they start out the season 1-7, they would have been done right there.”

What does it mean for 2020 and beyond?

“Win or lose (in Buffalo), one thing we did do when we were 1-7 was stay together as a group,” veteran receiver and team captain Demaryius Thomas said. “Me and Jamal are always talking about changing the culture and the core around here and stop being OK with what the Jets have been the last couple of years (translation: losers).

“I think you should be excited for next year that this is going in the right direction.”

Arrow pointed up.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

I agree with all of this. But ultimately if the Jets are going to make a second year jump to playoff team the DRAFTING must get better. Make no mistake drafting had always been the Jets biggest problem. They are actually "GIFTED" in that they can always maneuver through and pick the very worst players in a seemingly talent loaded draft? John Idzik and Mike Macagnan? They were probably equally BAD at drafting. Honestly, any Jets fans that's telling the truth knows the last time the Jets actually drafted WELL was about 2007. So for 12 straight years the Jets have been relying on Free Agency EXCLUSIVELY to get talent in the door. That's got to change.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

How can you not be impressed by this 5-2 finish?

When a winless Cincinnati team destroys your team, its unimpressive. When a winless Miami team (who a certain HC should know better than anybody) gets their first win, its unimpressive. When your offensive genius has a 32nd ranked offense, its unimpressive. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

When a winless Cincinnati team destroys your team, its unimpressive. When a winless Miami team (who a certain HC should know better than anybody) gets their first win, its unimpressive. When your offensive genius has a 32nd ranked offense, its unimpressive. 

injury

in-juh-ree ]
noun,  plural in·ju·ries.
harm or damage that is done or sustained.

• Thumb Down 1

Do you guys realize this will be the 1st time in years that the NY Jets go into the 2nd year of a new coaching staff with a young ascending QB? That's the first & foremost reason for optimism. 

And that optimism isn't from the fans, that optimism comes directly from the players that are busting their azzes on the field every week. It's really easy to give up in your mind if your QB sucks azz. These players see the same things coaches like WR coach Jefferson see when they watch Sam Darnold run the offense. They KNOW Sam has skills, and they see that growth & leadership taking over. That was a damn good defense Sam just faced, and he had the 2 mistakes, the throw into triple coverage that could have been picked, and the strip sack to a guy vying for DPOY in TJ Watt abusing Shell. 

So instead of heading into a new season with a loser like Geno Smith that no one had confidence in, this Jet team goes into 2020 with their leader at QB, in his 2nd season in this offense, with what would have been the best TE in the AFC East in Chris Herndon, their defensive leader back in CJ Mosely, a 2nd year QW with an offseason to quiet his critics, Bless Austin actually having an offseason HEALTHY & a full training camp. 

So far that's 2 positives. A good leading QB, and returning VERY GOOD injured players. 

The 3rd positive is the young guys who stepped up big time on defense. All those young boys up front, Fat Foley, Shepard, Phillips, ect, and for the NY Jets to be ranked 2nd against the run with the myriad of injuries at LB is a testament to how good & deep the Dline in. Then you start looking at guys that will be backups & bit players next year, Bashum, Burgess, Cashman, Hewitt, maybe Hairston, Maulet, Canada? These are guys that solidify depth & contribute on making special teams too notch with Boyer. 

The Jets have a good foundation of youthful depth, now we need JD to start upgrading these starters on the Oline, CB, Pass Rush, WR & RB. I rewatched that Steelers game, and what was clearly apparent was the NY Jets, our NY Jets matched the physicality that the Steelers bring. This current team has toughness. And I'm sure JDs plan is to bring that same toughness to the offense starting with a revamped Oline. Not quitting for me is huge. And this wasn't a lose 5, win the last game because a team sat starters type of season. We also had a very good home record with Sam missing games. Win division games, win home games next year, steal a couple as underdogs & win against teams as favorites. Can't wait to watch Joe Douglas work Free Agency & the draft. We ARE PICKING FOR NEED. You won't have to worry about another Dlineman being drafted. 

• Sympathy 1

He correctly listed two reasons to dismiss the “strong “ finish - much easier schedule and giving the hapless bengals their first win. He then does not refute them. Preemptively stating your opponent ‘s argument before they can, does not dismiss the argument 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, freestater said:

Yet still 5-2. Anything else boomer? 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm just not so confident the o-line is going to be fixed overnight or is as you say "very solvable". The current disaster is a result of many years of neglect. Turning it around in a single off-season seems like a reach to me especially considering there are other needs on the team.

I will praise Douglas for eternity if he fixes the o-line in one off-season.

The Oline hasn't been a disaster the last few weeks, it certainly hasn't been good, but replacing Kalil and winters has made a big difference. 

This draft has more OT talent then any in the past 5+ years, has 2 starting centers, and then some interior lineman who may get pushed down to Day 3 simply due to the depth.  I think we can come away with a young LT and another lineman who can either start at center (if we can somehow get Humphrey) or a G/C who can push Harrison next year. 

The issue Joe D has to navigate is RT.  Shell is gonna get $8 million per year somewhere and JD needs to gauge if he is worth that to the team or if Egoda can step into that role.  There are also mid tier FAs who could be cheaper options.  

I do think the OL is fixable in one year, we just have to make the right choices.   

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

6 or 7 wins against an incredibly easy schedule.  Next years sched is much tougher.  Any big improvements player wise will be via the draft and rookies.

Adam Gase is still head coach.

We will be lucky to be .500 next year.

I agree. Our wins are against trash teams or a severely injured/mediocre Dallas which put them on our playing level. With a normal strength of schedule, this team will be very lucky to be .500 but that’s ok considering how behind our roster is. I just want to see progress.

Wins over easy opponents doesn’t really make me feel better this year. Gase hasn’t show enough at all and 2019 has become a giant questions mark/waste of a season. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree. Our wins are against trash teams or a severely injured/mediocre Dallas which put them on our playing level. With a normal strength of schedule, this team will be very lucky to be .500 but that’s ok considering how behind our roster is. I just want to see progress.

Wins over easy opponents doesn’t really make me feel better this year. Gase hasn’t show enough at all and 2019 has become a giant questions mark/waste of a season. 

So Dallas gets injury excuses against us but we don't get them?  No team has had more injuries along with Sam's illness.  If we are closed to healthy we are a playoff team this year.

Next year's schedule looks tough but things change quickly in this league.  No one was worried about Baltimore when the schedule came out this year and it turned out they were the best team we played.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

People get way too caught up in how a team finishes and the whole “carrying over momentum” thing.  With the amount of roster turnover there is, and the week to week nature of this league,  it means little to how they start the season next year.  

I think for veteran teams it doesn't mean much but for younger teams and younger QBs it can mean something.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Just interesting.

most people talk about the jets, and specifically Gase, like they were expected to go 12-4 this year. 

Not by me? I had them going 7-9 before all the injuries. So the idea that they may still go 7-9 despite the disgusting rash of injuries and no OL is some kind of impressive IMO.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

So Dallas gets injury excuses against us but we don't get them?  No team has had more injuries along with Sam's illness.  If we are closed to healthy we are a playoff team this year.

Next year's schedule looks tough but things change quickly in this league.  No one was worried about Baltimore when the schedule came out this year and it turned out they were the best team we played.  

I don't even think Sam was 100% all season long.  Mono takes a long time to fully recover.  Just because he was cleared to play, doesn't mean he ever returned to 100%.  His strength and stamina had to be way down for the full season.  Everybody watch and see what an improved Sam we will see next year!  I have no doubt.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, k-met57 said:

brand new OL

mosley / williamson back

another playmaker at receiver

full year of Sam and Gase system

=

9 wins or better next year

Talk to me when this franchise stops making itself the league wide joke losing to winless teams, and getting embarrassed on National TV every time the NFL and networks are foolish enough to put them on. I am sorry and hate to be so negative, but I saw nothing this season that was any different from 4 years of Bowles, the last few years of Rex, or the Mangini and Herm years. Same $hit, different regime, players, it never changes. Mediocrity rules the NY Jets organization and they not only like it, they reward it.

The jets are 6-6 with darnold.  That’s about right, what we all expected, heading into this season - before the mono, before all the season-ending injuries, before the season essentially ended in early October.  I really don’t see why everyone is so pissed off.  We all knew the offensive line sucked.  We all knew they needed more weapons and that was before herndon was out all year.  We all knew the new gm had no chance to fix anything.  But when darnold plays well the jets are actually better than the bad teams and can hang with some of the good teams.  I’m excited heading into the offseason.  I’m just curious to see how aggressively Douglas tries to trade Adams. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I never said that about Dallas. Everyone hyped the victory as we beat a playoff team etc. We ended up beating a mediocre at best team, at the perfect time when they had multiple key injuries. We didn’t beat any good teams this year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets are 6-6 with darnold.  That’s about right, what we all expected, heading into this season - before the mono, before all the season-ending injuries, before the season essentially ended in early October.  I really don’t see why everyone is so pissed off.  We all knew the offensive line sucked.  We all knew they needed more weapons and that was before herndon was out all year.  We all knew the new gm had no chance to fix anything.  But when darnold plays well the jets are actually better than the bad teams and can hang with some of the good teams.  I’m excited heading into the offseason.  I’m just curious to see how aggressively Douglas tries to trade Adams. 

I think this trading Adams thing is a farce.  I just don’t see it happening.  I don’t see a team willing to trade what it will take for Douglas to give him up.  The ONE team anyone has mentioned was the Cowboys, and given that they will have a new HC and have to sign Dak to a new contract, decide to pay Cooper and other O line decisions, I find it hard to believe they will give up valuable draft assets to trade for a safety that they will need to pay big money to in a year.  It would make zero sense for them to do that.  

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I don't think he will have to be aggressive at all, the market will come to him. The suitors are the one's who will have to be aggressive.

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think this trading Adams thing is a farce.  I just don’t see it happening.  I don’t see a team willing to trade what it will take for Douglas to give him up.  The ONE team anyone has mentioned was the Cowboys, and given that they will have a new HC and have to sign Dak to a new contract, decide to pay Cooper and other O line decisions, I find it hard to believe they will give up valuable draft assets to trade for a safety that they will need to pay big money to in a year.  It would make zero sense for them to do that.  

All it takes is one team.  The raiders have a lot of picks, they may be a suitor.  Who knows what other teams will have new guys in front offices who want to make splashy moves.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Just interesting.

most people talk about the jets, and specifically Gase, like they were expected to go 12-4 this year. 

Yes, I remember being called a SOJF loser by those people at the beginning of the season. Can’t wait to do it all over again next season when I am likely to predict we miss playoffs again. Lot can change between now and then, though. JD better have the goods or it’s going to be a long five years.

56 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Not by me? I had them going 7-9 before all the injuries. So the idea that they may still go 7-9 despite the disgusting rash of injuries and no OL is some kind of impressive IMO.

Injuries are inevitable and the Jets’ well-known lack of depth should have informed all predictions.

16 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm just not so confident the o-line is going to be fixed overnight or is as you say "very solvable". The current disaster is a result of many years of neglect. Turning it around in a single off-season seems like a reach to me especially considering there are other needs on the team.

I will praise Douglas for eternity if he fixes the o-line in one off-season.

Hence why we need to trade Jamal then pray for a repeat of the 2006 draft.  

Now I'll prepare myself emotionally for the raining down of buttfumbles and neg reps from the fanboy crew.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, k-met57 said:

assuming we draft a LT, kick Beachum/Edoga to the RT....center and guard are very solvable issues. I think as long as the focus is there, we should be in good shape.

From what I see of Beachum, he would make a fair starting RT.  Edoga, I dont think is going to work out on the outside of the line.  Not on the left side, or right side.  Either he will adjust to playing inside or he'll be out of the league.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

The Ravens reportedly showed interest too.  And with more time to make another deal there likely will be more teams that get involved.  No, that doesn't mean Douglas will get back his original asking price.  But that doesn't rule out a deal happening.  

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gase is an offensive coach and we have the 32nd ranked offense.

We have a body of work of his in miami where he did go get 'his' guys and his offense sucked there too.

Douglas will get his chance, it is a great pity the dumb owner let mac have one last disastrous draft and off season to put the team behind the 8 ball.

i haven't done it but take away the 3 lost games when the offense did next to nothing and then see where they stack up.  they're probably in the low 20's with that correction.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Either way he'd want to be paid like a LT, so it wouldn't make sense to kick him over.

I'm ignorant about any language coming from Beachum regarding compensation.  If he wants to be paid like a starting LT, he can walk.  He is capable, but not what you want at LT.  

Like most fans, I think the blue chip priority during the off season is to build a top tier offensive line.  That all important task does not include paying a marginal player money that should be spent on a bona fied top tier LT. 

What I'd like to see happen... (Given that Andrew Thomas is drafted before the Jets pick... and he will be.  Probably by the Giants)

Jets spend a bundle to land Costanzo.  He starts at LT.

Jets draft Tristan Wirfs and make him the starting RT.

If they can pull off a deal for Costanzo, they can transform the line to having the two best bookends in the league.

For the interior of the line, I like Harrison as the starting center.  He's not Mangold, but from what I see, I'd give him a B+ as a starting NFL center... 

For the guards, look to rounds 5, 6, 7 in the draft to add talent and depth.  Have a bunch of them enter camp and let nature takes its course.  Keep the men, send the boys home... 

not to rain on the parade but back in the 70's the jets closed out a season with a 6-1 or 7-0 run and finished 7-7.  the next season they finished 4-10 so it's not like these strong finishes carry over that well to the next season.  this second half does feel much different because the whole injury aspect in the first half gives it a different feel.  we'll see.  i certainly hope it carries over and both darnold and gase have learned from this.

• Upvote 1