Lions cut Snacks; DT wants to continue playing

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102609/article/detroit-lions-release-dt-damon-snacks-harrison

The latest weight-cut has transpired ahead of the 2020 offseason.

The Detroit Lions are releasing defensive tackle Damon "Snacks" Harrison, sources tell NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

Harrison signed a one-year extension with Detroit before this past season, which had the potential to keep him through 2021. In 15 games this season with Detroit, Harrison recorded 49 total tackles and two sacks for a defense that underperformed after an expensive offseason that spent money on their defense.

According to Pelissero, Harrison wants to continue his playing career.

Midway through the 2018 season, Harrison was traded from the New York Giants for a conditional 2019 fifth-round draft pick and proceeded to finish that year with a rare 17-game campaign. Before playing for Big Blue, Harrison played four years for the New York Jets after going undrafted in 2012 out of William Penn University.

Harrison, 31, offers a unique skillset that not all defenses require but his reliable play could still be sought for a team looking for an added push at the line of scrimmage.

• Upvote 1

I would love to add Snacks back and put him into the space eater role moving Q Williams to more of the disruptive rusher he can be in the backfield.  When Snacks was here, everyone else around him played better including Mo Wilkerson, Richardson and L. Williams.  Snacks in the guy who deserved the extension at the time.

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’d love to get this guy back. Just not sure we need him.

Me too actually. I wouldn't want to pay a premium for him, but it is abundantly clear that he was the guy to put the chips on back in the day. I would love to get him back at a decent price. I do like the young guys we have though. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I would love to add Snacks back and put him into the space eater role moving Q Williams to more of the disruptive rusher he can be in the backfield.  When Snacks was here, everyone else around him played better including Mo Wilkerson, Richardson and L. Williams.  Snacks in the guy who deserved the extension at the time.

It's the only time those guys ever really played well.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Wilkerson over Snacks was almost as bad as Holmes over Edwards 

So so true. Two of the biggest head scratchers ever. Most 10 year old Jets fans could have told you signing Mo was dumb, and Rex could never get over that Holmes played with his kids. Man we are just routinely subjected to stupidity by this team and its decisions. 

• Sympathy 1