Why free agents might not want to come to the Jets: MERGED

NJ is in the top 3 highest combined taxed states in the country. Property, income & sales tax. Wealthy residents are fleeing the state in mass and a middling team with little talent. I have the eeriest feeling that we will be “settling” for 3rd tier talent that’s way overpriced hurting our future ability to retain our young players. There are more attractive places to play on many levels. Although the last 10 years of drafting have been wasted, I don’t see the appeal of spending on Defense in FA. Forget Clowney and sign Jenkins or let him walk and take the 3rd rd. pick in 2021. Protect Sam at all costs with solid short term OL contracts and build a solid nucleus of young cheap talent through the draft before Sam’s 5th year ends. 

What a waste the Idzik and MacDaddy years were. Hoping Douglas can be the guy similar to Ozzie and be here for the next 20 years. 

Since the NFL shares revenue it's imperative the tax free, or tax light states DO NOT hold an advantage over teams in states withe high cost & taxes. 

Just look to the Miami Dolphins & Dallas Cowboys success over the last 20 years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

NY is the largest market in the league. If you become a big time players, you can make so much in endorsements, your salary will becone secondary. Look at Eli, the guy was all over TV and advertisements at one time so I don't  think taxes are a deterrent.  The other points are valid 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

NY is the largest market in the league. If you become a big time players, you can make so much in endorsements, your salary will becone secondary. Look at Eli, the guy was all over TV and advertisements at one time so I don't  think taxes are a deterrent.  The other points are valid 

look at bart scott or strahan.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

NJ is in the top 3 highest combined taxed states in the country. Property, income & sales tax. Wealthy residents are fleeing the state in mass and a middling team with little talent. I have the eeriest feeling that we will be “settling” for 3rd tier talent that’s way overpriced hurting our future ability to retain our young players. There are more attractive places to play on many levels. Although the last 10 years of drafting have been wasted, I don’t see the appeal of spending on Defense in FA. Forget Clowney and sign Jenkins or let him walk and take the 3rd rd. pick in 2021. Protect Sam at all costs with solid short term OL contracts and build a solid nucleus of young cheap talent through the draft before Sam’s 5th year ends. 

What a waste the Idzik and MacDaddy years were. Hoping Douglas can be the guy similar to Ozzie and be here for the next 20 years. 

I've never understood how the salary cap didn't figure out a way to factor in taxes and cost-of-living.  Isn't the idea to keep things fair?  It's sort of like how presidential candidates consider $250K and up to be rich enough to pay even more taxes.  In NYC, that's not rich.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not sure this applies anymore in the Internet era.  Look at Peyton.  He played in Indianapolis but is arguably the biggest NFL TV commercial star ever.

• Upvote 1

The perennial winners in the NFL view free agency as a way to round out the roster so they have draft flexibility   The good teams are letting players walk and drafting a replacement  

You can’t build a franchise with free agents 

it will actually be a good thing if JD only signs 1 day 1 player and then spends carefully 

Anyone expecting 5+ starters in free agency will be disappointed 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

New York, New Jersey, California and Illinois are the top tax states.  I wish I could move to Florida.  

Virginia, NC, MA, WI, MN, among others, have relatively high taxes. 

NY, NJ and CA alone have 6 teams, or over 20% of the NFL teams.  

So if I am an NFL player I would prefer to play for a low/no tax team, but it is hard to avoid the state taxes.  It is definitely a competitive disadvantage that should have been addressed in the CBA.

• Upvote 1

I think the state tax issue is a bit overblown and applies mostly to the mega-contracts.  I believe that athletes have to pay state income taxes in the states they play in as well as their home state.  Therefore, if you play for the Dolphins in 2020 you will be paying state taxes on 1/16 of your salary to NJ, MA, NY, CA, AR and CO.  Also, if they don't live in Florida all year round, they may be subject to state taxes where they have other homes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not sure this applies anymore in the Internet era.  Look at Peyton.  He played in Indianapolis but is arguably the biggest NFL TV commercial star ever.

Peyton was a special case. He was a marketing dream come true. Super talented, had that southern twang in his voice and very likeable to everyone. 

I would say last season Baker was the guy that saturated ads. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Peyton was a special case. He was a marketing dream come true. Super talented, had that southern twang in his voice and very likeable to everyone. 

I would say last season Baker was the guy that saturated ads. 

Baker and JJ Watt is another.  I really don't think being a NY player is such an advantage anymore.  

Btw, who knows if Eli would've been such a big star had it not been for Peyton.

52 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Btw, who knows if Eli would've been such a big star had it not been for Peyton.

I think we all know...not nearly as big.

I think Eli in the HoF is really a watering down of the HoF. NO WAY he gets in if it's baseball.

On career stats, no way. On post-season stats, sure. But that's two of however many seasons. Mostly, he was blah, blown up by NYC media.

if I were a prime-time player, my free agent priorities for teams would be,

1. Can the team win? (1) (0) (2)
  2. Are they going to pay? (2) (2) (1)
  3. Is the organization stable? (0) (0) (2)
  4. Do they take care of their players (physically)? (1) (1) (2)
  5. What is the tradition? (0) (1) (2)
  6. What is the fan base like? (1) (2) (2)
  7. Is it likely to be fun? (0) (0) (2)

Jets score five (5). Compare that to the Redskins, for example. They, a worse, team, actually score better, six (6).

Now compare those two teams to a glamour team, the Cowboys. Cowboys score is THIRTEEN (13).

All the Jets have going for them is they can pay, which is substantial thank God.

25 minutes ago, phill1c said:

if I were a prime-time player, my free agent priorities for teams would be,

1. Can the team win? (1) (0) (2)
  2. Are they going to pay? (2) (2) (1)
  3. Is the organization stable? (0) (0) (2)
  4. Do they take care of their players (physically)? (1) (1) (2)
  5. What is the tradition? (0) (1) (2)
  6. What is the fan base like? (1) (2) (2)
  7. Is it likely to be fun? (0) (0) (2)

Jets score five (5). Compare that to the Redskins, for example. They, a worse, team, actually score better, six (6).

Now compare those two teams to a glamour team, the Cowboys. Cowboys score is THIRTEEN (13).

All the Jets have going for them is they can pay, which is substantial thank God.

Why the 3 sets of numbers? Not sure how you’re calculating the attractiveness of a team. Does red, blue & green represent redskins, cowboys and jets?

With regards to the NFL, yes NJ is at a disadvantage. 

In general, it’s not that straight forward though. It depends on your career. I work in Finance and my wife is a teacher. We moved from NJ to Texas and our disposable income went down. Not by lot but just putting that out there. In certain fields like finance, NY metro pays materially more than other areas. Life has been greener for other reasons though. Namely weather. In the NY metro you also have options. You can work in a high rate (NYC)  place and live in a modest cost location (Jersey City). It’s not as easy to do that in other places. 

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The other side of that is if a big name FA signs in NY and doesn't play well the vultures in the press will make their life miserable. While if they sign in a low market city for less money they'll basically get a pass for mediocre level play.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

The other side of that is if a big name FA signs in NY and doesn't play well the vultures in the press will make their life miserable. While if they sign in a low market city for less money they'll basically get a pass for mediocre level play.

Really?  Is anyone giving Mariota  a pass?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, varjet said:

I wish I could move to Florida.  

No you don’t.

The cost of living is raising faster the a priest’s winkie at a little league game, trying to find affordable housing in a good area is impossible and getting worse, traffic sucks and is getting worse, the weather sucks, english is a second language for 1/2 the population and half of them don’t speak any English, unless you’re rich you’re either surrounded by ghetto hood rats or inbred sister ****ers and the public school system is a joke. 

The stripclubs are really good

2 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Gase, the petty fines, the mishandling of the Osemele injury, the reputation of the owners

It all adds up to an embarassment.  We have a premium young QB and still nobody wants to be here.

The Knicks of the nfl

• Haha 1

There's a lot of speculation and disappointment going around so far.

But let's consider a few things;

Thuney and Costanzo did not hit the market. 

Nothing we can do about that. 

Conklin is overrated and got paaaaaaiiiiid. He's a better run-blocker than pass-blocker and has an injury history.

Vaitai I liked, but he got paaaaaiiiid as well. 5 years 50 million for a guy that hasn't started many games is a lot.

Those two I can understand why we didn't sign them. 

Glasgow I'm pissed about. He can play G or C and his price tag, while definitely the premium we expected for free agents, isn't more than I was willing to pay. Pass-blocking is his strength too. 

We'll see how things go, but maybe Wagner, Van Roten are opportunities now. Or an offensive-line heavy draft. 

The sky isn't falling; but we are definitely not in a good position. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1