Our Wide Receiver Corps

Perriman replaces Anderson and Mims replaces Thomas.  If Mims is legit, this unit is improved. If Doctson can find lightning in a bottle and Berrios and Smith take a leap from last year, this unit has been decently upgraded from last year. Lot's of question marks still.  It's all contingent on Mims being legit.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, greengeek said:

I disagree. He chose to burn bridges saying that he would only come back for Denver. I’d rather have a WR shed by another team who has something to prove, instead of one who has something to walk back.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

What?

How in the world is him saying he wants to retire in Denver “burning bridges”?!? He played 8 years there. He’s allowed to have an emotional connection to them. I wish more former Jets would have the same sort of love.

He also has said he would consider playing elsewhere, just that he would prefer Denver. How there’s anything wrong with that for someone is beyond me.

This is a big if group..  someone said not even close to being good.   I disagree about it not being close but a lot of ifs:

IF Enunwa and Doctson can stay healthy - Enunwa when healthy is an above average WR.  Doctson is a solid contributor that adds good depth when healthy.

IF Perriman finally put it together and can be consistent

IF Mims lives up to his potential

Crowder is gonna Crowder..

So we got 4 players with 4 big ifs..... If 1 of those if  goes our way we got work to do.  If 2 of those ifs go our way,  We are good.   IF 3 of them go our way we are great. IF all 4 go our way, watch out.

Ideally if Mims can have a year like DK Metcalf and Perriman can be consistent everything else is gravy.... Not really counting on Enunwa that is an injury that is too much to ask for him to come back from.   Doctson just needs to stay healthy and focused on learning and growing as an NFL WR.

LOTS OF IFs.    I do think Perriman can fill Robby's role.    It's all about Mims and how he develops

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, lounap23 said:

This is a big if group..  someone said not even close to being good.   I disagree about it not being close but a lot of ifs:

IF Enunwa and Doctson can stay healthy - Enunwa when healthy is an above average WR.  Doctson is a solid contributor that adds good depth when healthy.

IF Perriman finally put it together and can be consistent

IF Mims lives up to his potential

Crowder is gonna Crowder..

So we got 4 players with 4 big ifs..... If 1 of those if  goes our way we got work to do.  If 2 of those ifs go our way,  We are good.   IF 3 of them go our way we are great. IF all 4 go our way, watch out.

Ideally if Mims can have a year like DK Metcalf and Perriman can be consistent everything else is gravy.... Not really counting on Enunwa that is an injury that is too much to ask for him to come back from.   Doctson just needs to stay healthy and focused on learning and growing as an NFL WR.

LOTS OF IFs.    I do think Perriman can fill Robby's role.    It's all about Mims and how he develops

The reality is that no matter what Douglas did in this draft, after taking Mims, this was going to be a big IF group. It's not like adding a 5th round WR would have guaranteed us much. 

With that said, the WRs have plenty of talent, Herndon is back, Leveon Bell is an elite pass catcher (perine is also a very good pass catcher) so Darnold is way ahead of what he was dealing with last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Irish- I'm good with betting 50 to 100 bucks on which of the two WRs  has more of 2 of the 3 categories:  yards, completions and TDs.  We can either pay each other or contribute to a charity that the winner picks.  Let me know your thoughts.  

It’s your idea so you can set the terms but yeah I’d happily bet that Anderson will beat him in yards and TD’s at the very least.

Significant injuries to either should be a disqualifier. That would be some bullsh*t.

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s your idea so you can set the terms but yeah I’d happily bet that Anderson will beat him in yards and TD’s at the very least.

Significant injuries to either should be a disqualifier. That would be some bullsh*t.

I thought about that but I dont know whats significant.  A guy could play hurt and be less than his usual self or not play.  I think Anderson has been pretty good health wise and Perriman has had a history of getting nicked so that might be to your benefit.  If either was injured and out for the year prior to the season Id be good with cancelling the bet, but I think once the season starts we should play it out regardless.   Im open to suggestions but those are my thoughts.   

At the very least, the WRs are starting to look like a Gase type of group.  Using the 2014 Broncos and the 2016/2017 Dolphins as the template for the Jets possible depth chart.

Team Z X Slot
2014 Broncos Thomas Sanders Welker
2016/17 Dolphins Parker Stills Landry
2020 Jets Mims Perriman Crowder
  Enunwa Smith Berrios
  Cager Doctson  
    Campbell

Perriman could actually play the Z too. 

Vyncint Smith showed some flashes last year.  I am not sure if people realize but over the last 3 games (small sample size) Vyncint Smith played in 134 snaps, caught 9 passes for 108 yards.  This was against two playoff teams (Ravens and Bills) and a team still trying to get into the playoff (Steelers).  By comparison, during those last three games, Robby Anderson caught 9 passes, 116 yards and a TD in 182 snaps.  Over the last 6 games, Smith went 13 catches on 20 targets, for 190 yards.  If you gave Anderson's targets from 2019 to Smith, those last 6 games translates to approximately 62 catches for 768 yards.  Perhaps the front office want to develop Smith and give him more opportunities.  Even as a backup and limited role, when given the opportunity, he was productive.

The Jets return their #1 WR next year with Crowder and look to replace Demaryius Thomas with Mims (who by the way compares favorably to Thomas when he was coming into the league).  They hope to have a replacement for Anderson with Perriman and possibly Smith.

The upside is that this group is still fairly young, Perriman is 26, Crowder is 26, Enunwa is 27, Smith is 23, Berrios is 24, Doctson is 27.  The key is for Darnold to start building chemistry with these guys as this could be the WR core for the next couple years.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It’s not, there is a significant drop off from Anderson, and Perriman.

Based on stats provided, the MAXIMUM dropoff would be 3.1 catches and 46 yards per game.

Do you not think Perriman is even going to get on the field?

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

Based on stats provided, the MAXIMUM dropoff would be 3.1 catches and 46 yards per game.

Do you not think Perriman is even going to get on the field?

Well considering he only got on the field for 5 games in 4 years, and that took for the #1, and #2 WR to be absent, maybe he won’t ever get on the field ?‍♂️

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Perriman replaces Anderson and Mims replaces Thomas.  If Mims is legit, this unit is improved. If Doctson can find lightning in a bottle and Berrios and Smith take a leap from last year, this unit has been decently upgraded from last year. Lot's of question marks still.  It's all contingent on Mims being legit.

It’s galore.  Robbie isn’t an IF.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

It’s galore.  Robbie isn’t an IF.

Well, we would be wondering IF he'd provide more than 3.1 catches and 46 yards per game.

I'm another one of those "actually liked the guy, but don't think he'll be that missed" fans.

Guess time will tell . . . 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Plenty of guys would come here on a 1 year deal if they got cut. Why wouldn't they? Mims isn't the only guy who would be catching passes in our offense.

So you’d prefer to have a guy that couldn’t make another team, come here and start over Mims and Perriman.

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So you’d prefer to have a guy that couldn’t make another team, come here and start over Mims and Perriman.

I want Mims and Perriman to start but they need to earn the jobs. Guys get cut for more reasons than they just weren't good enough to make the team they were on. 

Some players are cut because they aren't starting and don't play special teams.

Some players are cut for salary reasons. 

Some players just want their release and the team grants it. Doesn't mean they can't still play.

54 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I want Mims and Perriman to start but they need to earn the jobs. Guys get cut for more reasons than they just weren't good enough to make the team they were on. 

Some players are cut because they aren't starting and don't play special teams.

Some players are cut for salary reasons. 

Some players just want their release and the team grants it. Doesn't mean they can't still play.

My guess is that they will go into training camp with this group and assess Perriman and Mims' play.  If they find them lacking in some way, thats when you'll see them trade for someone or pick up a cut veteran.  If these guys meet expectations, theres no reason to bring in more guys, especially before we find out the situation with Enunwa.

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

The problem last year wasn't Robbie. The problem was the jets quarterbacks couldn't find him because they were inept or because they didn't have time.

I get that his price was too high but he is still a big loss.

The problem was we had no OL and no Sam for 25% of the season

If the Jets could pry JuJu away from the Steelers for a conditional 3rd next year that can become a 2nd based on incentives, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Darnold is reunited with a guy who is still only 23 and has shown plenty of flashes of being a #1, or at the very least, a top shelf #2.

Smith-Schuster

Mims

Crowder

Perriman

Smith

Berrios

That’s a pretty damn formidable WR corps. Couple that with an improved OL, what should be an improved Bell, and Darnold going into his 3rd year and we’re potentially talking playoffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They have YouTube highlights his last 6 weeks in Tampa

I’ve seen highlights.  He got open and made plays when they threw him the ball.  The way this guy was talking it seemed he watched the tape of all his play and thought his 5 game Excellent stretch was despite being a sh*t receiver that ran bad routes.  The guy he’s replacing never had a stretch of 5 games that good

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets could pry JuJu away from the Steelers for a conditional 3rd next year that can become a 2nd based on incentives, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Darnold is reunited with a guy who is still only 23 and has shown plenty of flashes of being a #1, or at the very least, a top shelf #2.

Smith-Schuster

Mims

Crowder

Perriman

Smith

Berrios

That’s a pretty damn formidable WR corps. Couple that with an improved OL, what should be an improved Bell, and Darnold going into his 3rd year and we’re potentially talking playoffs.

Why would the Steelers trade their best receiver?

Robby had 52 catches, 779 yards, and 5 TD's on 96 targets for 1402 air yards. Average target depth was 14.6 yards. 

Thomas had 36 catches, 433 yards, and 1 TD on 58 targets for 558 air yards. Average target depth was 9 yards.

Perriman had 36 catches for 645 yards and 6 TD's on 69 targets for 1128 air yards. Average target depth was 16.3 yards.

So Perriman was targeted farther down the field than Anderson, caught a slightly lower percentage of his targets (52% vs. 54%), and averaged more receiving yards per target (9.3 vs. 8.1). So overall did more with his targets. His receiving yardage was more than half of the total receiving yardage production lost between Thomas and Anderson on less than half of their total targets and he matched their TD's.

What's going out the door and needs to be replaced by Mims and Perriman in the WR room is 88 catches for 1212 yards and 6 TD's. So 5.5 catches for 76 yards and .375 touchdowns per game on ten targets. There are individual two players who matched or exceeded that last year and a third who was two catches away from doing so (on 33 less targets).

Incidentally - a player is being talked about as being pushed out the door elsewhere and a potential trade target. Here are his stats from last year. Little different from Anderson but not dramatically.

54 catches, 627 yards, and 6 TD's on 105 targets for 1608 air yards. Average target depth was 15.3 yards. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Why would the Steelers trade their best receiver?

There isn’t a team in the league better at drafting and developing WR’s than the Steelers.

They probably don’t want to pay him.

They can stick Claypool and Washington on the outside and odds are, they’d be just fine.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They have YouTube highlights his last 6 weeks in Tampa

I was just watching this Perriman highlight reel (not just TB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckiuA83NkHY

The one thing that immediately jumped out at me is that he is a HANDS catcher. Just about every catch his hands are away from his body and he snatches the ball before it gets to him. I LOVE when a WR catches that way. Most of the great ones do. Very encouraging if he can stay healthy

• Upvote 1

perriman and mims is an upgrade over anderson.  they'll add a vet in TC b/c they will shake loose.  next draft the jets will get another stud wr b/c it's a very good wr class, and teams that took wrs in the first round this year will probably not want to do it again.  then we'll look at the jet wrs and see mims, the new 2021 draftee and we'll say the jets have a core of stud weapons.  

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

There isn’t a team in the league better at drafting and developing WR’s than the Steelers.

They probably don’t want to pay him.

Reuniting JuJu with Darnold would be awesome,  Would give us a legit #1, and also take some pressure of Mims -- and allow him some time to develop.  

You could do a lot worse than Juju, Mims, Crowder, Perriman as top 4.

Doubt it will happen, but we can hope.

• Upvote 3

On 4/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, Jetlife33 said:

I mean we added Perriman and Mims and lost Anderson. Potential for this group is off the charts better. Let’s see if they can perform and stay healthy. 

Exactly. I think Perriman will have a better year than Robby this year. If Anderson was on the Bucs last year he wouldn't have seen as many targets either. The last 5 games of the season Perriman played like a #1 receiver. That's not just one or two games. He was given the chance and he excelled. I think Anderson made a big mistake for his career by leaving. His QB isn't as well suited to his strengths and he'll have fewer targets. Plus, the money was very similar.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Hilarious that this much real estate is being spent on Perriman & friends.

Mims is the most promising WR we've drafted since K.J.... so that's huge.

Behind him?

0e2d165fe641180ed308a1a3aefa5040.jpg

Smith-Schuster, Gallup, Kirk, Samuel...if I was Douglas I’d be calling about every one of them.

I think our WR group is going to continue to evolve over the next 2 seasons. I think the first step will be for the team to see what they really have in guys like Breshad Perriman, Denzel Mims, and Vyncint Smith. If they're satisfied with their development, they may just decide to extend Perriman and continue to build the group through the draft. 

The more likely scenario: they will add a big contract to the receiver group next year. 

I think Perriman will have a solid season and could be re-signed, but I think ideally the Jets will look to upgrade. The foundation of the line cost-controlled for a while and most of our money will be allocated on the defensive side, allowing them to use whatever available money we have in 2021 at WR to balance the payroll (plus they could be moving on from Bell).

My hunch as far as what next offseasons priorities will be: 

• Continue to add playmakers via free agency and draft
  • Emphasize pass rushers and pass protectors in the draft (remember, create a pipeline) 
  • Add a corner in free agency or early in the draft if their young guys don't take proper steps forward. 

2021 OFFSEASON: WIDE RECEIVERS 

• UFA: Chris Godwin, Allen Robinson, Keenan Allen, Kenny Golladay, JuJu Smith-Schuster
  • Trade: Curtis Samuel

2021 is a long ways away, but if the Jets could build a skill position group like this with the way the offensive line is being built, I feel like they would be an offense to watch in the AFC: 

Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 12.46.26 PM.png