Does 6-10 get Gase fired?

6-10 = Adios Gase?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Will falling one game short of last year's record be the end of Gase?

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Nope.

The world can't exclaim that the Jets have the NFL's toughest schedule and will be lucky to go 6-10 and then fire the head coach for going 6-10.

Christopher Johnson is in this for the long haul.  Successful franchises don't entertain the thought of firing their head coach unless they lose the locker room.  That's not going to happen.

SAR I

Fires me up. I love thinking that a 15 year playoff drought awaits us, just for the sake of continuity.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I think we need to give him more of a chance to succeed. The injuries last year were unbelievable. Hopefully the Jets luck evens out with that this year.

The main reason though is I think he and Douglas are really looking long term with this roster, and rebuild the right way. No flashy signings, lots of guys on short term deals while we draft the core of our roster.

I know Gase's history, and I wasn't happy we hired him, but I liked the way this team stuck together after the horrible start. I think Gase deserves credit for that. There's no reason for a second year ultimatum in my opinion..

Doesn't matter, they win the division and he gets extended. This team isn't going 6 and 10.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Nope.

The world can't exclaim that the Jets have the NFL's toughest schedule and will be lucky to go 6-10 and then fire the head coach for going 6-10.

Christopher Johnson is in this for the long haul.  Successful franchises don't entertain the thought of firing their head coach unless they lose the locker room.  That's not going to happen.

SAR I

If this team goes 6 and 10 they will lose the locker room.

Joe Douglas is in it for the long haul. Adam Gase won't survive 6 and 10. 

Think about it. No fans at games in 2020. Jets go 6 and 10. Owners hurting $ wise. 

Need a huge sales campaign for 2021.  The team would social distance themselves and take Gase off of the ticket advertisement.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

If this team goes 6 and 10 they will lose the locker room.

Joe Douglas is in it for the long haul. Adam Gase won't survive 6 and 10. 

Think about it. No fans at games in 2020. Jets go 6 and 10. Owners hurting $ wise. 

Need a huge sales campaign for 2021.  The team would social distance themselves and take Gase off of the ticket advertisement.

Christopher Johnson announced a rebuild in 2017 here we are barely 3 years later and we are talking about a legitimate AFCE playoff contender.  We are ahead of schedule.  Hell, the Dolphins have been rebuilding for 30 years.  Like my Yankees and Rangers, my Jets are getting there faster than imagined.

Adam Gase won't get punished if the Jets play hard, fight hard, and come up short.  And if Gase didn't lose the locker room at 1-7 he's not going to lose it so long as the team is competitive.  It's a lot of new/young players.  It's a coronavirus constrained camp.  It's a tough schedule.  And while I believe that 10-6 and the division title is a possibility I'm expecting, if we go 8-8 or 7-9 because we just weren't good enough to beat the likes of the Chiefs, Seahawks, 49ers, and go no less than 5-1 in the division, that won't be on Gase.  It would be a function of a rebuild ahead of schedule.  Which would normally be a good thing.  But you have crazy fans who think that just because we've missed the playoffs for 10 years that we're entitled to it this year.  No, we're not.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Johnson’s are in so deep on Gase that I think they’re willing to throw away a couple more seasons in hopes of the light coming on for him.

It would take three wins or less to get him fired IMO.  

Darnold is going to play well enough to keep Gase around longer than he deserves to be.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No and record is not everything.  After Rexs big 8-8 year he for sure should have been fired.

For Gase it is how the offense performs, if they win 6 games and are top half in the league offense he gets another year.  If he is anything less than 20th in the league in offense next year he should be gone even if he went 8-8

Yeah this is pretty much it. I expect another great season from Gregg and the D.

It’s time Gase lives up to his end of the bargain. 

I seriously doubt Douglas is going to let his own success hinge on a coach he didn’t hire.

Yeah I know they were “friends” in Chicago for 6 months, 5 years ago lol. That’s why Joe demanded a 6 year deal. Gase is going to have to overachieve offensively and with wins to stay here.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers were once an NFL joke.  The Patriots were the Jets in blue uniforms for 30 years.  All it takes is the right owner making the right front office hires and a couple of drafts to set a team on a successful path.  We get no hats and t-shirts, but a successful rebuild with a franchise quarterback in 3 years is a hell of an accomplishment.  Christopher Johnson is the man.  He's our Bob Kraft.  He's our Jerry Jones.  You'll see.

SAR I  

i wouldn't exactly say that about the patsies.  they did pretty well in the old afl and also in the 70's under fairbanks, 80's under berry, 90's under parcells, and now nearly two decades of success.  they did have some low moments in the late 60's early 70's, early 80's, and early 90's.  and they had some success with a true clown, billy sullivan, as owner.

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No and record is not everything.  After Rexs big 8-8 year he for sure should have been fired.

For Gase it is how the offense performs, if they win 6 games and are top half in the league offense he gets another year.  If he is anything less than 20th in the league in offense next year he should be gone even if he went 8-8

I have pretty much the same opinion.

The O has to look better than last year or I'm pulling my backing of Gase. We have a couple weapons to use this year and the line should be better. Let's see some offense this year.

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the offense is an inconsistent mess AND the team wins less than 6 games Gase MAY get fired. 

Agreed.  Add in if there's some kind of locker room fallout.  The teams quits type thing.

But if theyre in games, with the schedule, 6-10 could still leave us looking at a better team, playing better than last year, but coming up short of .500

• Upvote 1

I voted yes based on the assumption that Johnson and not Douglas is making the call.

You are looking to see some tangible signs of improvement and if the 3rd year of Adam Gase brings a season of treading water or even taking a step backwards then no progress is being made.  There is zero sugar coating such an outcome if it happens.

I think Gase needs to be 8-8 or better otherwise we should show him the door and give Douglas a free hand to find his own head coach and stop this HC inheriting GM and GM inheriting HC cycle that we have been in. 

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

In the past nine years, the Jets have only ranked above 22nd in yards or points offensively once each, and that was in Fitzpatrick's miracle against cupcakes season. Otherwise, they've generally been closer to 30th. They're overhauling at least 4/5 of the starting OL, 2/3 of the starting WRs, and their starting TE is back after essentially missing all of last season. Two of those new offensive starters will be rookies. They intend to employ a new wide-split zone blocking scheme this year and put all these moving parts into place with no OTAs and a still to be determined training camp/pre-season schedule. It would be a tall order to expect to get this offense from 32nd to 20th overall in a normal year, but the state of the planet this year makes it that much harder. 

All of that said, I think it would be very difficult for Gase to keep his job if the Jets finish 6-10. The team is doing more of a make-over than most, but everyone has to deal with the virus-imposed limitations and I expect some very sloppy NFL football for the first month of the season. Really, that should allow Gregg Williams' defense some early chances to steal a couple wins. 

The Jets offense could easily start very slow. A couple really tough defenses in Buffalo and SF to start the season. I think if Gase is going to keep his job despite any end of season totals (be it wins or offensive rankings), it would be if the team once again finishes strong and Sam Darnold looks like a genuine, consistent franchise QB over the last half of the season. A finish like that, and Gase gets another year to see if he can do it for a full season, IMHO. Of course, I also think that if Darnold is looking like a FQB for at least half the season, the Jets should be at least 8-8 and their total offensive rankings should be no worse than low 20's. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, yvj said:

The schedule is out and it seems on paper to be one of the hardest in the league. How much do you think the schedule will be factored in retaining Gase?

Did it get Todd Bowles fired? Buckle in...it's Todd Bowles the Sequel: Offensive Version