Happy Mac is fired day!

New York Jets defensive end Leonard Williams (92) on the field after the Jets' win. The New York Jets host the Indianapolis Colts in Week 6 on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in East Rutherford.Buy Photo

New York Jets defensive end Leonard Williams (92) on the field after the Jets' win. The New York Jets host the Indianapolis Colts in Week 6 on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in East Rutherford. (Photo: Danielle Parhizkaran/NorthJersey.com)

First round: DE Leonard Williams (sixth overall)

Second round: WR Devin Smith (37th)

Third round: OLB Lorenzo Mauldin (82nd)

Fourth round: QB Bryce Petty (103rd)

Fifth round: G Jarvis Harrison (152nd) 

Seventh round: NT Deon Simon (223rd)

Analysis: Williams has turned into a very good player, but has yet to become the superstar the Jets were hoping for when they picked him that high. Bryce Petty is the only other player in this draft class to play an NFL snap after 2016. To have only one player in the league less than four years after a draft is … bad. Williams is the only thing that saves this class from total disaster.

Grade: D

Sep 10, 2018; Detroit, MI, USA; New York Jets linebacker Darron Lee (58) celebrates his touchdown during the third quarter against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports

Sep 10, 2018; Detroit, MI, USA; New York Jets linebacker Darron Lee (58) celebrates his touchdown during the third quarter against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. Mandatory Credit: Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports (Photo: Tim Fuller, Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports)

First round: LB Darron Lee (20th)

Second round: QB Christian Hackenberg (51st)

Third round: OLB Jordan Jenkins (83rd)

Fourth round: CB Juston Burris (118th)

Fifth round: T Brandon Shell (158th)

Seventh round:  P Lachlan Edwards (235th overall) and WR Charone Peake (241st) 

Analysis: It took until Year 3, but Lee has turned into one of the better players on the defense. The Hackenberg pick was a disaster. He never played a snap for the Jets and will probably never play in the league. Jenkins has been a solid starter since his rookie year. Burris has struggled (the Jets cut him and put him on their practice squad last week), but Maccagnan got good value at the bottom of the draft: Shell is a competent starter, Edwards is one of the better punters in the league and Peake is a key special teams contributor. The best move of the draft came after it, when Maccagnan signed undrafted free agent receiver Robby Anderson who has turned into the team’s most dangerous offensive weapon. 

Grade: C

New York Jets safety Jamal Adams (33) celebrates a turnover in the second half. The New York Jets host the Indianapolis Colts in Week 6 on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in East Rutherford.Buy Photo

New York Jets safety Jamal Adams (33) celebrates a turnover in the second half. The New York Jets host the Indianapolis Colts in Week 6 on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in East Rutherford. (Photo: Danielle Parhizkaran/NorthJersey.com)

First round: S Jamal Adams (6th)

Second round: S Marcus Maye (39th)

Third round: WR ArDarius Stewart (79th)

Fourth round: WR Chad Hansen (141st)

Fifth round: TE Jordan Leggett (150th), OLB Dylan Donahue (181st)

Sixth round: RB Eli Mcguire (188th), CB Jeremy Clark (197th), CB Derrick Jones (204th)

Analysis: With two picks, Maccagnan transformed the defense perhaps for years to come. Midway through his second season, Adams is likely the best player on the defense. Maye was a ready-made starter as a rookie and has continued to impress, despite injury concerns, in year two. But outside of Adams and Maye, four of the other seven players drafted are already gone less than 18 months later. The mid-round whiffs on Stewart and Hansen are particularly painful, given the Jets’ current lack of depth at receiver. Donahue and Clark are gone, too. Leggett and Jones remain, but have yet to contribute. McGuire has the chance to be a sixth-round steal, but it will depend on how he looks after missing the first half of the season with an injury.

Grade: C+

New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (14) talks with wide receiver Jermaine Kearse, left, during the second half. The Jets defeat the Indianapolis Colts 42-34 in Week 6 on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in East Rutherford.Buy Photo

New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (14) talks with wide receiver Jermaine Kearse, left, during the second half. The Jets defeat the Indianapolis Colts 42-34 in Week 6 on Sunday, Oct. 14, 2018, in East Rutherford. (Photo: Danielle Parhizkaran/NorthJersey.com)

First round: QB Sam Darnold (3rd)

Third round: DT Nathan Shepherd (72nd)

Fourth round: TE Chris Herndon (107th)

Sixth round: CB Parry Nickerson (179th), DT Folorunso Fatukasi (180th), RB Trenton Cannon (204th)

Analysis: It’s still way too early to know exactly what the Jets have, here. But this draft class is off to a promising start. Darnold was the Day One starter and could be the franchise quarterback the Jets have long been seeking. Years from now, this draft will be judged solely on him. But four of the other five players drafted have made an impact as rookies. Shepherd is a defensive line starter, Herndon is the best pass catching tight end on the team (he has three touchdowns already), Nickerson and Cannon have filled in capably during injury problems. It’s still way too early to properly evaluate this class, but it’s on track to be Maccagnan’s best yet. 

Grade: TBD

Overall: Maccagnan has done a nice job with the first-round picks, there’s no denying that. The mistakes in the middle rounds have been painful and costly. But he made a bold move to trade up and land Darnold this spring. And if Darnold turns into a star, he’s shown a lot of early promise, the other mistakes will be forgotten and forgiven. 

Email: vasqueza@northjersey.com

More NY Jets news

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am just hoping that some day we look back upon "Douglas is Hired" day (June 7) with greater joy than "Macc is Fired" day.

yep.  i look back on mac's draft picks and except for douglas picking becton in the first round they aren't much different at least to the casual fan.  i don't go digging into these college players much so i don't know much about the second tier guys. in hindsight mac was a complete disaster.  it's hard to say why guys like stewart and hansen, who came from decent schools, failed so badly.  from all accounts, hack was a disaster at just about any draft level and petty wasn't that much better.  and these picks were made by a guy who allegedly was a decent scout.

right now i think people want douglas to succeed so this first group of draft picks and free agents are getting good reviews.  our desire for him to succeed my be blinding our objectivity a bit.

I feel pretty confident that we have a real GM now. Not everything he does will be perfect but at least we have some hope again because I didn’t have much when last season ended knowing Gase was still our HC. 

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Prefer to just forget he was ever a part of this team

It was a year ago when you went on your "Johnsons' handing the reins 100% to Gase... OMG!!" rant.  Fun times.  I told you it wouldn't be so and it's not. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Prefer to just forget he was ever a part of this team

I was thinking this too but hopefully it’s a reminder that being patient for that abomination who didn’t have a plan, should allow us to be patient with a GM who has shown signs of potentially having a plan.

We’ve had a horrible decade of GMs and can’t be impatient and rushing bad decisions or having unrealistic expectations as fans. He was left with a roster that was good in all the wrong positions and terrible in all the important ones that support a young QB. Let’s let JD do his job and if he turns out horrible after 3 To 4 years, start calling for his head. 

24 minutes ago, Icer said:

Even if Gase sucks, I will always appreciate him for this. Mac was truly the worst

Even if Gase fails as a coach, maybe he can become a Bullsheet GM Detector Consultant?  Come to a team, evaluate the GM, give a thumbs up or down, then off to the next franchise...

:-)

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

It was a year ago when you went on your "Johnsons' handing the reins 100% to Gase... OMG!!" rant.  Fun times.  I told you it wouldn't be so and it's not. 

So far it has worked out in the sense the draft went the way most fans had hoped but we don't  know the degree of involvement  Gase has really. 

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

One year ago today, while sipping on a pint of Guiness in Dublin as I played tour guide to some family members, I saw a tweet saying Mike Mac was fired.  My initial reaction was to ask why the hell you fire a guy after letting him run a draft and spend a boatload of money.  My next reaction was, "If they can get Joe Douglas, it's worth it"

It was worth it.

Might have a pint of Guiness later.

@Pac

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

First round: DE Leonard Williams (sixth overall)

Second round: WR Devin Smith (37th)

Third round: OLB Lorenzo Mauldin (82nd)

Fourth round: QB Bryce Petty (103rd)

Fifth round: G Jarvis Harrison (152nd) 

Seventh round: NT Deon Simon (223rd)

Grade: D

First round: LB Darron Lee (20th)

Second round: QB Christian Hackenberg (51st)

Third round: OLB Jordan Jenkins (83rd)

Fourth round: CB Juston Burris (118th)

Fifth round: T Brandon Shell (158th)

Seventh round:  P Lachlan Edwards (235th overall) and WR Charone Peake (241st) 

Grade: C

Buy Photo

First round: S Jamal Adams (6th)

Second round: S Marcus Maye (39th)

Third round: WR ArDarius Stewart (79th)

Fourth round: WR Chad Hansen (141st)

Fifth round: TE Jordan Leggett (150th), OLB Dylan Donahue (181st)

Sixth round: RB Eli Mcguire (188th), CB Jeremy Clark (197th), CB Derrick Jones (204th)

Analysis: With two picks, Maccagnan transformed the defense perhaps for years 

Grade: C+

First round: QB Sam Darnold (3rd)

Third round: DT Nathan Shepherd (72nd)

Fourth round: TE Chris Herndon (107th)

Sixth round: CB Parry Nickerson (179th), DT Folorunso Fatukasi (180th), RB Trenton Cannon (204th)

Grade: TBD

Those are highly generous grades, even for when this article was written (looks like late 2018 or early 2019?)

2015 was an F, straight up.  It required zero intelligence to take Williams, and Macc deserves neither praise nor vitriol:  It was a weak top of the draft that year.  But with Leo failing to pan out and ending up getting moved for a 3rd and 5th, the pick was a dud.  And the rest of that draft class was brutal.  F.

2016 was an F as well, though I suppose you could MAYBE justify a D for the Jordan Jenkins pick.  Maybe.  Lee was later flipped for a 6th, and Hackenberg was a 5th/6th round prospect who couldn't even cut it in the AAF.  F.  

2017 was an F.  Only Jamal Adams has "worked out" from this draft class, and the sheer amount of talent passed on to take Adams still made it a bad pick.  This has been discussed ad nauseum so no need to expand on that.  The rest of the draft was an abortion.  Maye isn't getting a 2nd contract here, and we passed on so much quality talent at positions of need in that round to take him (Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Juju Smith-Schuster, Joe Mixon, Chris Godwin, Cooper Kupp, Kenny Golladay).  Stewart, Hansen, Leggett, Donahue, McGuire, Clark and Jones are all out of the league already.  F.  

2018, enough time has passed to assign an initial grade, which can certainly change if Darnold puts up a monster 2020 season.  This one is a C.  Yes, I am certainly happy we landed Darnold, as he was my top QB prospect that year.  But this could have easily been Mayfield, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen had the Browns and/or Giants gone in a different direction.  Herndon and Fatukasi were nice picks, and Cannon wasn't bad either.  This is Macc's best draft.  And it still only merits a C.

Amazingly, as bad as Macc was at drafting, he was even worse in free agency.  Amazing.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those are highly generous grades, even for when this article was written (looks like late 2018 or early 2019?)

2015 was an F, straight up.  It required zero intelligence to take Williams, and Macc deserves neither praise nor vitriol:  It was a weak top of the draft that year.  But with Leo failing to pan out and ending up getting moved for a 3rd and 5th, the pick was a dud.  And the rest of that draft class was brutal.  F.

2016 was an F as well, though I suppose you could MAYBE justify a D for the Jordan Jenkins pick.  Maybe.  Lee was later flipped for a 6th, and Hackenberg was a 5th/6th round prospect who couldn't even cut it in the AAF.  F.  

2017 was an F.  Only Jamal Adams has "worked out" from this draft class, and the sheer amount of talent passed on to take Adams still made it a bad pick.  This has been discussed ad nauseum so no need to expand on that.  The rest of the draft was an abortion.  Maye isn't getting a 2nd contract here, and we passed on so much quality talent at positions of need in that round to take him (Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Juju Smith-Schuster, Joe Mixon, Chris Godwin, Cooper Kupp, Kenny Golladay).  Stewart, Hansen, Leggett, Donahue, McGuire, Clark and Jones are all out of the league already.  F.  

2018, enough time has passed to assign an initial grade, which can certainly change if Darnold puts up a monster 2020 season.  This one is a C.  Yes, I am certainly happy we landed Darnold, as he was my top QB prospect that year.  But this could have easily been Mayfield, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen had the Browns and/or Giants gone in a different direction.  Herndon and Fatukasi were nice picks, and Cannon wasn't bad either.  This is Macc's best draft.  And it still only merits a C.

Amazingly, as bad as Macc was at drafting, he was even worse in free agency.  Amazing.  

My thoughts entirely, those grades must be done by Eric Allen.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

it's hard to say why guys like stewart and hansen, who came from decent schools, failed so badly. 

A complete disregard for analytics by Macc certainly didn't help.  Every single pick was made based on his "eye test" and by all accounts, he often overrode his scouts.  

ardarius-stewart-ras-13218.png?resize=80

chad-hansen-ras-13405.png?w=1100&ssl=1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A complete disregard for analytics by Macc certainly didn't help.  Every single pick was made based on his "eye test" and by all accounts, he often overrode his scouts.  

ardarius-stewart-ras-13218.png?resize=80

chad-hansen-ras-13405.png?w=1100&ssl=1

Some other Macc picks which should establish a stark difference between how much Macc valued analytics/measuarables and how much JD demonstrated he has thus far in his tenure.

Even some of Macc's best picks (Jenkins, Austin) were guys with average athleticism.  

lorenzo-mauldin-ras-12058.png?w=1100&ssl

jordan-jenkins-ras-12703.png?w=1100&ssl=

jamal-adams-ras-14027.png?w=1100&ssl=1

marcus-maye-ras-14497.png?w=1100&ssl=1

dylan-donahue-ras-13802.png?w=1100&ssl=1

christopher-herndon-ras-15567.png?resize

parry-nickerson-ras-16829.png?w=1100&ssl

jachai-polite-ras-16487.png?w=1100&ssl=1

trevon-wesco-ras-19851.png?resize=806,52

blessuan-austin-ras-18681.png?resize=806

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some other Macc picks which should establish a stark difference between how much Macc valued analytics/measuarables and how much JD demonstrated he has thus far in his tenure.

Even some of Macc's best picks (Jenkins, Austin) were guys with average athleticism.  

lorenzo-mauldin-ras-12058.png?w=1100&ssl

jordan-jenkins-ras-12703.png?w=1100&ssl=

jamal-adams-ras-14027.png?w=1100&ssl=1

marcus-maye-ras-14497.png?w=1100&ssl=1

dylan-donahue-ras-13802.png?w=1100&ssl=1

christopher-herndon-ras-15567.png?resize

parry-nickerson-ras-16829.png?w=1100&ssl

jachai-polite-ras-16487.png?w=1100&ssl=1

trevon-wesco-ras-19851.png?resize=806,52

blessuan-austin-ras-18681.png?resize=806

I lobe these cards.  Who ever thought so much failure could bring on so much nostalgia for colorful past collections?!

• Haha 1