Another Baldy Breakdown -- He Loves Becton

Lith

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Watching Sam Darnold play qb is like watching the monkeys at the zoo throwing feces

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

You are pretty plugged in to Philly stuff, and college FB in general. Back when we were interviewing guys to replace Bowles, both Kingsbury and Rhule passed. The Jets spun it in different ways, most notably that Rhule said no because the Jets would not let him pick his coaches. Any shot both these guys passed because deep down they didn't believe that Sam is a FQB, and they didn't want to start their NFL careers with him?

38 minutes ago, section314 said:

You are pretty plugged in to Philly stuff, and college FB in general. Back when we were interviewing guys to replace Bowles, both Kingsbury and Rhule passed. The Jets spun it in different ways, most notably that Rhule said no because the Jets would not let him pick his coaches. Any shot both these guys passed because deep down they didn't believe that Sam is a FQB, and they didn't want to start their NFL careers with him?

If that was the case, why would they even interview for the job? Did they really think the franchise would move on from Darnold after 1 year the way he closed out his rookie season? I can't imagine that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

at the time of the jets hire, Matt Rhule required an 8 million dollar buyout from Baylor. That's money to the college for the right to pay Rhule ANOTHER 8 mil per year (coaches salaries are often estimates, but this number leaked). 

KK I suspect wanted to build a program around Murray and 1.1 and the Jets were not exactly rolling out the red carpet either. We don't know what KK makes but it's probably more than Gase. 

It comes down to money. Gase and Bowles are 3 or 4 milllion dollar types. Bottom of the barrel

I never understood the high expectations on these guys. It's like expecting your Hyundai Genesis to be a Bentley. It's not, really. And you get what you pay for.  

Coach spend is uncapped and even worse for the Johnsons, fully vested. Meaning if they fire Gase they have to pay him to sit at home. Ditto Bowles, but they scratched some of that back with an offset due to Bowles salary as a DC in TB.

all of this is to say it is always about money. Everything is always about money. 

That story about Rhule and the coaches might actually be true but it's like the 4th or 5th reason it wasn't going to work. The primary one is that the Johnsons are not interested in pay for a Belly/Reid/Gruden 10 Mil plus guy, or even a Matt Rhule/KK exciting first timer at 6-8 mil (aka the Tomlin/Vrabel tier).

side note Rhule got a new contract after the Jets flirtation and the Baylor/Carolina buyout was rumored to be among the top 5 in CFB history. above 10 mil? 15 mil? who can say? 

again that's before paying the actual HC salary

the one constant in all of the HC hires, dating back to Rex Ryan, Mangini, Herm etc is that they've all been cheap. Joe Douglas is the first above average spend the johnsons have put into the front office or coaching since the Mike Westoff years.  Will they let JD pick his guy on a 6 year contract sure but watch how cheap he is. It's not going to be a more recognizable name than Douglas.

contrary to all the "cap space is awesome" crowd, building a successful program costs money. Signing everyone to 1 year deals and letting 33 mil in cap space just sit there and "live off the interest" is not a winning formula. Hiring cheap dudes that no one else wants like Adam Gase at rock bottom prices shouldn't surprise anyone when he can't call plays to save his life. 

the team doesn't have a QB coach. more Cheapness. 

I think they honestly lured Jeremy Bates out of the woods with some beef jerky. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

NFL Rookie Rankings: 10 highest-graded rookies through Week 1

5. T MEKHI BECTON, NEW YORK JETS

Becton was the only Jets offensive lineman who wasn't a liability on Sunday. He was a people-mover in the run game and made several impressive blocks, which helped him to a 77.4 run-blocking grade for the game.

However, it was Becton's pass protection that was perhaps the biggest surprise of the week. We were worried about how he would fare on NFL true pass sets after seeing very few of those reps at Louisville, but he ended up earning the third-highest grade on true pass sets on Sunday. All told, he allowed just two pressures from 41 pass-blocking snaps and ended the game with a 77.2 overall grade, the 11th-best grade of the week.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rookie-rankings-highest-graded-rookies-through-week-1-2020

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

These replays make Sam look really bad. 

He was really bad.  Nice to see that the guy hired to coach him is going such a good job.  Darnold is regressing.  Gase is responsible.

Joe Douglas... DO YOUR JOB.  FIRE ADAM GASE.

Do it while there is still something left of Darnod's career with the Jets...

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

He was really bad.  Nice to see that the guy hired to coach him is going such a good job.  Darnold is regressing.  Gase is responsible.

Joe Douglas... DO YOUR JOB.  FIRE ADAM GASE.

Do it while there is still something left of Darnod's career with the Jets...

Why fire Gase now? Keep him lose as much as possible get hopefully top pick.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:14 PM, Saul Goodman said:

I was waiting for this. Had to watch the game at a bar yesterday so I didn’t get a chance to focus on Becton. Baldy compliments his hands, but his feet looked good on those plays as well. Sky’s the limit for this kid. Sure wish we had an Alan Faneca to play next to him though...

He does. He's just injured at then moment. Becton and Clark will be the left side of our line for the next 5 years min. 

But Baldy is right man. Where is the excitement? I can't say it enough. The whole team looked uninspired in this game. It was from the first play.  I just don't get it.  I really don't. What is more exciting than opening day of the NFL?  WHAT IS THIS????   Particularly on offense. 

The missed throws, drops, missed blocks, missed tackles.  I can take all of it, but uninspired football is unacceptable to me.  Thank Joe Douglas for Becton. May he be contagious. 

12 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

Trevor Lawrence.  I'd trade Darnold for TL in a heartbeat.  It would be worth losing every single game in order to get TL in the 2021 draft.  Darnold looks like he does not even want to pay football...

• Upvote 1

Finally, a 1st round pick where we can say "We might just have nailed that one." 

When is the last time you could possibly say that for this franchise?

The Jets have “nailed” a lot actually. They have somehow managed to draft some pretty good players over the years, develop them then they leave - Keyshawn, John Abraham, Farrior, Hugh Douglas, Johnny Mitchell, Randy Thomas, Jamal Adams, Revis etc. It is usually over money or new coach/GM wanting to go a new direction. Becton looks as advertised, hopefully he sticks around for a long time.

16 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

I think it's sad that after 1 game, albeit a loss, you're wanting to be the worst team in the league. Its 1 loss so far not 10, l for one hope we turn this season around this season and make the playoffs. That would give me much more joy than the 1st pick on the next Blake Bortles.

2 hours ago, HtownJet said:

The Jets have “nailed” a lot actually. They have somehow managed to draft some pretty good players over the years, develop them then they leave - Keyshawn, John Abraham, Farrior, Hugh Douglas, Johnny Mitchell, Randy Thomas, Jamal Adams, Revis etc. It is usually over money or new coach/GM wanting to go a new direction. Becton looks as advertised, hopefully he sticks around for a long time.

So the last time you can say it was 2007.  Got it.