McCarthy

McCarty has had Dak and Elliot out for substantial time this year. By all accounts Dak was looking good under the few games he played under McCarthy.

I didn’t want McCarthy...he was my second to last choice from our candidate pool, (Gase being dead last).

The one thing I did say about McCarthy back then was that he would be the easy and safe choice, and that he would develop Sam into a pro bowl caliber quarterback. He would not have won a super bowl here, or been the long term answer. But he would have had Sam in the right direction for 2-3 years with 8-8/9-7 meh seasons each year. That was my guess, and my expectation about what CJ would have done.

McCarthy’s time as a top coach is up in this league. But I do believe Sam would have developed well under him.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Yes the cowboys only won 1 game before Dak got hurt but lost to the Rams in week 1 by a FG, then beat the Falcons 40-39, lost to the Seahawks 38-31, Lost to the Browns 49-38, and beat the Giants 37-34 (Dak injured this game) .. then having to play a combination of Dalton and some guy i have never heard of haven't' looked good on offense. That being said their Defense is atrocious worse in the league at points against and defense has been an issue for the cowboys.

Different teams and different scenarios but  Kellen Moore is calling plays and McCarthy has said he doesn't plan on taking over play calling. Up until the Dak injury I wouldn't say offense is an issue there.

I would say that I wanted McCarthy over Gase. At the time and based on how McCarthy worked and developed Rogers, changing his throwing angles, footwork, getting him to throw with power and vastly improving his deep ball  - it seemed like the obvious choice to benefit Sam if we weren't going to hire Kingsbury.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

A lot of guys here wanted him over Gase.   He is now 2-6 despite Prescott and Elliott and a host of receivers.   Not defending Gase at all, but do the guys that wanted him still think he would have been a better choice?  Or just another sh*tty choice?

Dak is out.   Dalton is out.   Zeke looks half done and uninterested.   The o-line is a shadow of what it was.

Dallas is a poor team talent wise, however the players also apparently hate the coaching staff, so there's that.

They also have some huge contracts theyvalready gave out, and the cap is going down, so that'll be fun.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

they had the 4th best offense in the league before Dak got hurt. 

Yeah because the opponents are boat racing their defense , So they have no choice but to try and catch-up . The difference between us and them is they have much better talent on offense and until this year a much better Oline. 

22 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

A lot of guys here wanted him over Gase.   He is now 2-6 despite Prescott and Elliott and a host of receivers.   Not defending Gase at all, but do the guys that wanted him still think he would have been a better choice?  Or just another sh*tty choice?

Despite Prescott?  I recall him losing Prescott for the season when he was 2-3

12 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Dak is out.   Dalton is out.   Zeke looks half done and uninterested.   The o-line is a shadow of what it was.

Dallas is a poor team talent wise, however the players also apparently hate the coaching staff, so there's that.

They also have some huge contracts theyvalready gave out, and the cap is going down, so that'll be fun.

Yeah I’m not getting how Dallas is this dream team of talent and McCarthy is wasting.  I guess some posters still think it’s 3 years ago

And see what the cowboys want for Amari Cooper in the offseason.  No doubt they will be shopping him

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

McCarty has had Dak and Elliot out for substantial time this year. By all accounts Dak was looking good under the few games he played under McCarthy.

I didn’t want McCarthy...he was my second to last choice from our candidate pool, (Gase being dead last).

The one thing I did say about McCarthy back then was that he would be the easy and safe choice, and that he would develop Sam into a pro bowl caliber quarterback. He would not have won a super bowl here, or been the long term answer. But he would have had Sam in the right direction for 2-3 years with 8-8/9-7 meh seasons each year. That was my guess, and my expectation about what CJ would have done.

McCarthy’s time as a top coach is up in this league. But I do believe Sam would have developed well under him.

My exact take and arguement in January 2019.

But it's all water under the bridge, now. We brought in the Quarterback killer and his trash offense and unprofessional "staff" and burned it to the ground. 

• Post of the Week 2

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

they had the 4th best offense in the league before Dak got hurt. 

True, but that’s mostly because they retained Kellen Moore as OC and let him continue running the same offense that he was running under Garrett.

They were the top ranked offense in the league in 2019.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

hard to say if mccarthy couldve done much better given the talent level and injuries.  but dallas also has a pretty poor record for a stacked team, with or without dak.  some teams are like that. they can score a bunch but give up even more.  the troubling thing is dak got injured and dalton got clocked.  something is going on with the oline blocking at the moment.

one last point, early season games don't mean much as far as determining team strength.  it takes 4 or so games for the teams to come together.  at that point they can be assessed fairly.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

True, but that’s mostly because they retained Kellen Moore as OC and let him continue running the same offense that he was running under Garrett.

They were the top ranked offense in the league in 2019.

And you would be destroying McCarthy if that offense put up Gase numbers prior to Dak’s injury

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah I’m not getting how Dallas is this dream team of talent and McCarthy is wasting.  I guess some posters still think it’s 3 years ago

And see what the cowboys want for Amari Cooper in the offseason.  No doubt they will be shopping him

That's tough for them.  They gave up 2 first rounders, and then resigned him.   Trading him may create a huge cap hit, making him un tradeable for a year or 2.

I looked it up.   According to overthecap.com hed have a 28 million dead cap hit.

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

And you would be destroying McCarthy if that offense put up Gase numbers prior to Dak’s injury

Well, yeah.

Who wouldn’t?

McCarthy is a mediocre coach who has rode the coattails of not one, but two HOF QB’s his entire career.

Just because he’s better than Gase doesn’t mean that I would want him. I don’t know who in their right minds would hitch their wagons to either of those dickbrains longterm.

Dallas has the cache and prestige to hire basically any coach that they want. Yet Jerry chose that fat goof who was just about the least imaginative hire possible.

Gase will be gone in 8 weeks and McCarthy will most likely be gone within 60 weeks.

They both suck

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

You should be defending Gase.

Look at McCarthy.  Look at Belichick.  Look at Zimmer.  Look at Lynn.  

Some of the top names in head coaching the last 2-3 years.

It's about the players, not the coaches.  When Belichick makes Gase look good, you know this to be true.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

46 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah because the opponents are boat racing their defense , So they have no choice but to try and catch-up . The difference between us and them is they have much better talent on offense and until this year a much better Oline. 

I hate Dallas, so I'm not trying to make excuses for them.

3rd string qb.  Zeke is already on the downside, poor offensive line.  They aren't a good team.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Elliot hasn't missed a game. 

In games Dak played the Cowboys were 2-3 having only beaten the awful Falcons and Giants. 

McCarthy has been an umitigated disaster this year and the Packers are doing much better since he left. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You should be defending Gase.

Look at McCarthy.  Look at Belichick.  Look at Zimmer.  Look at Lynn.  

Some of the top names in head coaching the last 2-3 years.

It's about the players, not the coaches.  When Belichick makes Gase look good, you know this to be true.

SAR I

Gase looks terrific this year.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Hiring Mike Nolan as DC has really hurt Dallas, he is the most uncreative DC in the game.  He has only had success when coaching elite defenders.   Huge blunder by McCarthy.

• Upvote 2

When there was still a modicum of reasonable hope for Darnold as Jets’ future, McCarthy was unquestionably a better choice than Gase. But at this point, McCarthy would probably win a game or two and screw up the tank. If this season ends in Trevor, then I guess Gase wasn’t the hero we wanted but the one we needed right now.

• Upvote 2

I think Gase and McCarthy were the last two guys I wanted.  Gase has never been any good and McCarthy was let go in GB for mailing it in.

It should've been Rhule or Monken all along.

Ruhle is gone.  Go get Monken.

• Upvote 2

He is 2 and 6. Gase is 0 and 8.

The math proves it, he would have been a much better choice.  :)

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

That's tough for them.  They gave up 2 first rounders, and then resigned him.   Trading him may create a huge cap hit, making him un tradeable for a year or 2.

I looked it up.   According to overthecap.com hed have a 28 million dead cap hit.

Cooper is expendable.  Cowboys have Lamb and Gallup for way cheaper

48 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Elliot hasn't missed a game. 

In games Dak played the Cowboys were 2-3 having only beaten the awful Falcons and Giants. 

McCarthy has been an umitigated disaster this year and the Packers are doing much better since he left. 

Falcons would have a winning record and probably on their way to the playoffs if they didn’t accidentally blow leads late in 3 games this year.  They don’t stink

• Upvote 1