Former Jets Interviewee McShay says"Don't Give Up on Darnold"

I mean now that Mayock is GM'ing the Raiders, McShay is the best there is.

Sam Darnold, QB, New York Jets

Expectations are always sky high for a quarterback taken in the top five picks of a draft. And when Darnold led the Jets to a 48-17 win in his NFL debut back in 2018, just a few months after going No. 3 in the draft, it looked like New York had found its sure-fire QB of the future. But Darnold has gotten a lot of criticism for his play over 31 starts since that rookie opener. 

The USC product dealt with injuries over his first three seasons, even sitting out three games in 2019 with mononucleosis. And when he has been on the field and healthy, he has played behind a makeshift offensive line. Only four QBs have faced more pressure than Darnold (34.9% of dropbacks) since the beginning of 2018. And according to ESPN Stats & Information metrics, only the Giants have sustained their blocks for at least 2.5 seconds at a lower rate than the Jets' 45.6% this season.

Then there are the skill positions. Jamison Crowder and Robby Anderson have been his most productive targets in the passing game over Darnold's career, but Crowder's 833 yards in 2019 is the best season for a Jets receiver since he was drafted in 2015. Crowder has missed four of eight games this year, and Anderson signed with the Panthers during the offseason. Running back Le'Veon Bell came to the Jets with a lot of hype but was cut in October after gaining just 1,363 yards from scrimmage over 17 games. So you get the point: Darnold needs help.

Whether that help comes in New York or with another team is still up in the air. If the Jets land the No. 1 pick in the 2021 draft and Trevor Lawrence is available -- or even if they slide to No. 2 and Justin Fields is there -- Darnold could be on the trade market. Or perhaps the Jets trade down for more first-round picks to build more around Darnold. The team already has four of them over the next two drafts, thanks to the Jamal Adams deal.

If Darnold is moved by the Jets, the other 31 teams should know he is a confident passer with great pocket presence and an ability to extend plays. He has above-average accuracy, as well. He just needs to find some help to reach his potential.

The 23-year-old has a 59.7% completion percentage and 39 touchdowns to 34 interceptions over his career. And his 2020 campaign has seen an ugly 40.2 Total QBR and just three touchdowns to six picks. He has also taken 19 sacks over those six games. But again, I want to see how he performs with a better supporting cast before I close the door on his upside as an NFL starting quarterback.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

If Darnold is moved by the Jets, the other 31 teams should know he is a confident passer with great pocket presence and an ability to extend plays. He has above-average accuracy, as well. He just needs to find some help to reach his potential.

About the only thing true in there is he can extend plays...

• Post of the Week 1

I agree, the league should not give up on Darnold. He deserves a legit shot with a legit team. 

With that said, any team in position to draft 1/2 in this coming draft would be foolish to pass on Lawrence and Fields unless they already have a proven franchise QB. 

Even teams with a franchise QB like the falcons and lions would likely take Lawrence if they had #1 overall. 

So mcshay is right, just not as it applies to having a chance with the jets.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Kevin L said:

IDK, if Geno can survive this long then it's possible Sam has a nice Kellen Clemens type career.

Good QB2's are consistent but unspectacular.  No one wants a QB2 who makes a couple nice backyard plays a game but can't manage the game.  This was a big reason why Sanchez never made it as a QB2.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good QB2's are consistent but unspectacular.  No one wants a QB2 who makes a couple nice backyard plays a game but can't manage the game.  This was a big reason why Sanchez never made it as a QB2.

True enough. I think his draft position almost guarantees him another 3-4 years.

• Upvote 1

He needs to go to a QB whisperer who can build him from the ground up.  Pep Hamilton would be perfect.  But Hamilton's coaching Justin Herbert and that's not going to end soon.  Joe Brady might be a good pairing if we can get a 2nd from Panthers.  I could see Tampa Bay taking a chance on him as a backup to Shady.

I agree with the article, but if the Jets have the 1st or 2nd pick, they've got to take one of the QBs, trade Darnold for the best offer, and then use at least the next two picks on offense (a C and either a WR or TE).  Edge and CB need to wait until round 3 and beyond. 

Also, in free agency sign a quality OL (RT or G). No more JAG FA OL!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

I mean now that Mayock is GM'ing the Raiders, McShay is the best there is.

Sam Darnold, QB, New York Jets

Expectations are always sky high for a quarterback taken in the top five picks of a draft. And when Darnold led the Jets to a 48-17 win in his NFL debut back in 2018, just a few months after going No. 3 in the draft, it looked like New York had found its sure-fire QB of the future. But Darnold has gotten a lot of criticism for his play over 31 starts since that rookie opener. 

The USC product dealt with injuries over his first three seasons, even sitting out three games in 2019 with mononucleosis. And when he has been on the field and healthy, he has played behind a makeshift offensive line. Only four QBs have faced more pressure than Darnold (34.9% of dropbacks) since the beginning of 2018. And according to ESPN Stats & Information metrics, only the Giants have sustained their blocks for at least 2.5 seconds at a lower rate than the Jets' 45.6% this season.

Then there are the skill positions. Jamison Crowder and Robby Anderson have been his most productive targets in the passing game over Darnold's career, but Crowder's 833 yards in 2019 is the best season for a Jets receiver since he was drafted in 2015. Crowder has missed four of eight games this year, and Anderson signed with the Panthers during the offseason. Running back Le'Veon Bell came to the Jets with a lot of hype but was cut in October after gaining just 1,363 yards from scrimmage over 17 games. So you get the point: Darnold needs help.

Whether that help comes in New York or with another team is still up in the air. If the Jets land the No. 1 pick in the 2021 draft and Trevor Lawrence is available -- or even if they slide to No. 2 and Justin Fields is there -- Darnold could be on the trade market. Or perhaps the Jets trade down for more first-round picks to build more around Darnold. The team already has four of them over the next two drafts, thanks to the Jamal Adams deal.

The 23-year-old has a 59.7% completion percentage and 39 touchdowns to 34 interceptions over his career. And his 2020 campaign has seen an ugly 40.2 Total QBR and just three touchdowns to six picks. He has also taken 19 sacks over those six games. But again, I want to see how he performs with a better supporting cast before I close the door on his upside as an NFL starting quarterback.

Obviously McShay had only seen Sam’s highlight package. I drank the green koolaid for 2.5 years. And I’ve had the antidote. Darnold is done in NY. JD will pick a QB with his 1st pick, wherever that will be, in 2021 draft. 

• Upvote 1