Jump to content
THE BARON

For Those That Prefer Fields Over Trevor Lawrence

Recommended Posts

For Those That Prefer Fields Over Trevor Lawrence...

Go watch the Hoosiers game.... 

Let me know if he is still 1B to Lawrence 1A

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fields has a low sample size. Kinda like Mark Sanchez IIRC. In that case, you ignore the stats to a certain extent and go by mechanics (decision making etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't everyone killing Lawerence for his one game performance vs LSU?

 

 

imo, Fields biggest detriment is his lack of starts.  I'd feel a lot better about him if he got a full 13 starts this year. 

He might have to sit his rookie year, but I think all quarterbacks should. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Isn't everyone killing Lawerence for his one game performance vs LSU?

 

 

imo, Fields biggest detriment is his lack of starts.  I'd feel a lot better about him if he got a full 13 starts this year. 

He might have to sit his rookie year, but I think all quarterbacks should. 

Lawrence didn't have a good game but he definitely didn't throw any INT's. 

Still to this day it took Joe Burrow having the greatest NCAA quarterbacking single season of All-Time (as a 5th year student) to give Trevor Lawrence as a Sophomore his first and only loss (35-1, not bad). And extending back to HS 76-1 throughout his last 77 football games (I'll take my chances). Greatest prospect since Elway/Manning and it's not even close. 

Trevor Lawrence became the 1st and only True Freshman to ever win an NCAA Championship Game dating back to 35 years ago of 1985 (the year I was born) and absolutely destroyed an ALABAMA DEFENSE and I'm sorry but I'm confident Fields would look like dog crap against an ALABAMA DEFENSE!

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Wilson will be the 2nd QB drafted this spring 

Very bold take.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lawrence has looked rough plenty of times before.

Not really though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Not really though.

You might not have watched enough of him then because he has absolutely had SEVERAL rough games.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JiF said:

He put up 400 total yards of offense and 3 TDs in a win vs a top 10 team with a very good D.  

2 picks were him trying to do too much and way out of character.  It’s not like was getting fooled or reading wrong or throwing bad balls, he was getting dragged to the ground and instead of throwing it away or taking the sack, he did something stupid.  It happens.  Doesn’t change my opinion one bit.  

Come on man, three terrible picks, we went through this before.  it should give you pause for thought.  becasue he will be going to a team in the nfl that faces good D all the time.

He just did the thing we totally kill our qb for all the time.

In any case it will be interesting to see what happens in the college playoff.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not going to go nuts over one game but Lawrence is clearly the top prospect. I pray the March towards 0-16 continues tomorrow....9

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

13/23 168 yards and 2 picks vs lousy GA Tech

Two pick games against lousy Louisville and Lousy Syracuse. 56% completion vs Syracuse(lots of yards though)

Not very good in either playoff game last year, particularly bad against LSU.

Lawrence has had some stinkers in his career. He's not some spotless prospect.  I don't know why people refuse to acknowledge that.  Especially if they watch him a lot.  He's certainly very good no doubt.

 

Ok. And Peyton Manning had a couple of bad games @ Tennessee too but this still doesn't change the fact that Trevor Lawrence is by far the greatest overall and highest rated QB prospect coming in and coming out since dating back to John Elway/Peyton Manning; one of the highest rated QB recruits of All-Time and it's not even a question. 

This kid (STRAIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL) became the first and only TRUE FRESHMAN to ever win a National Championship Game dating back to 35 years ago of 1985 (the year I was born); and he did it against ALABAMA too. 

That. Does not. Happen. Often. 

Chances are he'll have 3 National Championship Game appearances within his only 3 NCAA seasons of play and his career statistical production and dominance on the Football field is truly 2nd to none. 

He just almost broke Russell Wilson's All-Time NCAA record for most consecutive passing attempts without a single INT thrown. 

This kid is special. 

Dan Marino (Pittsburgh).

Donovan McNabb (Syracuse).

Michael Vick (VT)..

Philip Rivers (NC State).  

Jameis Winston (FSU). 

Deshaun Watson (Clemson).

Lamar Jackson (Louisville). 

When it's all said and done Trevor Lawrence goes down as the greatest ACC QB of All-Time and you can even compare his statistical dominance to that of Peyton Manning of the SEC and Trevor Lawrence eats him alive. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not necessarily that people think Fields is better then Lawrence, it’s some people would rather have Fields or Wilson and a bunch of top picks they’ll get in the trade instead of just Lawrence. 

Lawrence isn’t enough to turn this franchise around by himself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Come on man, three terrible picks, we went through this before.  it should give you pause for thought.  becasue he will be going to a team in the nfl that faces good D all the time.

He just did the thing we totally kill our qb for all the time.

In any case it will be interesting to see what happens in the college playoff.

 

No like really, I’m not concerned one bit. It was one uncharacteristic game.  

If his team lost and he didn’t put up 400 yards and 3 TDs, ok, let’s talk.   If this becomes a trend ok, let’s talk.  Otherwise, he made 2 boneheaded plays that that I’ve never seen him do in any other game and I’d be shocked if you see him do stuff like that again.  If you noticed in the 2nd half, he had a couple of similar situations but this time, threw the ball away or covered it up and went down.   
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s not necessarily that people think Fields is better the Lawrence, it’s more people would rather have Fields or Wilson and a bunch of top picks they’ll get in the trade instead of just Lawrence. 

Lawrence isn’t enough to turn this franchise around by himself.  

Peyton Manning didn't turn Indy around by himself either. He had Edge and Harrison as a young pup. 

No one is asking TL to do it by himself neither; but he's a blue chip A++ prospect (something Sam a converted HS LINEBACKER never was). 

Have you ever taken the time to compare Trevor's HS & NCAA numbers to Sam's HS & NCAA numbers? Trevor EMBARRASSES Sam in both regards lol. 

Sam isn't even ranked as an All Time prospect coming out of HS in comparison to TL who's the 6th highest rated prospect EVER. 

It's absolutely stupid to trade out of the #1 pick because the last time we did that we ran away from a future SB winning & HOF Franchise LT in Orlando Pace. 

And if the gap is so big between TL and JF to the point where Jax would trade up from #2 to #1 lol and give up 1st round picks and draft capital galore wtf does that say about Justin Fields? What, you just want to make JAX draft day winners?!?!? No thnx. 

Trade away BOTH of our Seattle first round picks and our 2nd round picks Heck and even and our two 3rd round picks for "more picks" but to trade away the #1 is absolutely stupid. 

Did Indy run away from Manning? Did Cincy just run away from Joe Burrow? Did Arizona just run away from Kyler Murray? Nope. They didn't. Because it would be been stupid. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Peyton Manning didn't turn Indy around by himself either. He had Edge and Harrison as a young pup. 

No one is asking TL to do it by himself neither; but he's a blue chip A++ prospect (something Sam a converted HS LINEBACKER never was). 

Have you ever taken the time to compare Trevor's HS & NCAA numbers to Sam's HS & NCAA numbers? Trevor EMBARRASSES Sam in both regards lol. 

Sam isn't even ranked as an All Time prospect coming out of HS in comparison to TL who's the 6th highest rated prospect EVER. 

It's absolutely stupid to trade out of the #1 pick because the last time we did that we ran away from a future SB winning & HOF Franchise LT in Orlando Pace. 

And if the gap is so big between TL and JF to the point where Jax would trade up from #2 to #1 lol and give up 1st round picks and draft capital galore wtf does that say about Justin Fields? What, you just want to make JAX draft day winners?!?!? No thnx. 

Trade away BOTH of our Seattle first round picks and our 2nd round picks Heck and even and our two 3rd round picks for "more picks" but to trade away the #1 is absolutely stupid. 

Did Indy run away from Manning? Did Cincy just run away from Joe Burrow? Did Arizona just run away from Kyler Murray? Nope. They didn't. Because it would be been stupid. 

That’s your opinion. Nothing the Jets have done in the past 50 years has worked out. I’d rather them trade down with a team like Washington and get a ton of picks plus Wilson then just take Lawrence so we can watch his career get destroyed and have the same debates every three to four years. 
Get a new coaching staff, a sh*t ton of high picks and see what happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

We have 4 first round picks over the next 2 years + A+ available salary cap space in order to build around Trevor Lawrence. 

And you'd rather trade out and run away from Trevor Lawrence and instead draft more busts instead, just like we've always done? No thnx. 

Trade away Seattle's 1st round pick(s) for more potential bust picks. And also trade away our 2022 1st round pick all for "more picks" 

But you trade away and run away from Trevor Lawrence?!? We'd then as a Franchise deserve to be traded away to Alabama, Iowa or Oklahoma!

Like I said it’s your opinion. I have mine, 40 years of watching the same crap over and over again makes you want to try different things. 
I’ll be happy either way. If they draft Lawrence ok fine let’s hope it works out. If they trade him and get a lot more picks good there’s more chances of something working out. Chances are no matter what they do we’ll still be having the same debate 3 or 4 years from now on who is a definite pick that will change this team and bring us to the promise land.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not just that Justin Fields made several horrible plays today, but he was clearly the second best QB in the game today. When your sample size is so small and you have a game where you make QB 101 mistakes repeatedly, then it is a cause for concern. He certainly doesn’t have the arm that Darnold has. I would take TL if we can, but I would have to think long and hard before I gave away Sam for Fields.  The Indiana QB had 500 yards passing and fewer mistakes and less time to throw.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jgb said:

I’m not gonna fault anyone for their opinion but if you’re changing your opinion about any player based on 1 game I do fault your methodology.

I agree.

Going into this game I was not convinced Fields was a "no-brainer take him at #2 and get rid of Sam" decision.

After today I am still not convinced.

I think he is talented and I love his strength and escapability in the pocket - but I will need to see a lot more to think he is worthy of hitting the reset button on QB.  Hopefully we will see him perform against decent competition in the Big Ten championship game and the Playoff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Ok. And Peyton Manning had a couple of bad games @ Tennessee too but this still doesn't change the fact that Trevor Lawrence is by far the greatest overall and highest rated QB prospect coming in and coming out since dating back to John Elway/Peyton Manning; one of the highest rated QB recruits of All-Time and it's not even a question. 

This kid (STRAIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL) became the first and only TRUE FRESHMAN to ever win a National Championship Game dating back to 35 years ago of 1985 (the year I was born); and he did it against ALABAMA too. 

That. Does not. Happen. Often. 

Chances are he'll have 3 National Championship Game appearances within his only 3 NCAA seasons of play and his career statistical production and dominance on the Football field is truly 2nd to none. 

He just almost broke Russell Wilson's All-Time NCAA record for most consecutive passing attempts without a single INT thrown. 

This kid is special. 

Dan Marino (Pittsburgh).

Donovan McNabb (Syracuse).

Michael Vick (VT)..

Philip Rivers (NC State).  

Jameis Winston (FSU). 

Deshaun Watson (Clemson).

Lamar Jackson (Louisville). 

When it's all said and done Trevor Lawrence goes down as the greatest ACC QB of All-Time and you can even compare his statistical dominance to that of Peyton Manning of the SEC and Trevor Lawrence eats him alive. 

When Marino was at Pitt they weren’t in the ACC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I agree.

Going into this game I was not convinced Fields was a "no-brainer take him at #2 and get rid of Sam" decision.

After today I am still not convinced.

I think he is talented and I love his strength and escapability in the pocket - but I will need to see a lot more to think he is worthy of hitting the reset button on QB.  Hopefully we will see him perform against decent competition in the Big Ten championship game and the Playoff.

If we are picking top 2, I think we take QB. If were to fall further than that then maybe the conversation creeps up about keeping Sam but I think it's more about his contract and regression than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Lawrence isn’t there, stick with Sam. Please. The kid played with shale this year. Deshawn Watson is going in the other direction and he has Cooks and Fuller to throw to. Look up Cook’s career numbers

Sam has Cager and Hogan. Not one game with competent WRs


Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway it’s useless to argue this. I don’t think Douglas is going to act like a fan in this spot. Changing QBs because everybody wants a new guy. Sure he would draft Lawrence. Not so sure he about Fields and instead choose to build around Sam


Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we miss out on the number one pick and TL, I would have to think long and hard about trying to resurrect Sam’s career here.
My opinion is that TL is the only prospect worth moving on from Sam, other wise we build a solid Oline and continue to develop him.
No TL, trade down for more picks and continue to add young talent to this team. I believe Sam is salvageable with the right coaching staff in place. He looked much better under the last coaching staff with almost equal talent, then he does this year.
He reminds me of Carr and has happy feet because he has been running for his life most of his Jets career.
So, no Trevor, we keep Sam and hope he comes around, we fill as many holes over the next two years with all the first and second rounders we will have and finally become a competitive team again.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you evaluate college players based on ONE game you're being
silly.  Fields was bad today as he threw 3 INTs and yet:

- He led his team to a win
- They scored 42 points
- And he was 18/30 for 300 yards and 2 TD while being "bad"

I've seen Peyton Manning throw 4 INTs in a game, it happens.
Nothing that happened today "soured" me on Fields, his talents
are still there

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Big East but nonetheless they merged into the ACC

Syracuse and Pitt joined the ACC in 2013 so neither Marino or McNabb were ACC QBs. Marino was in the 1983 draft class and McNabb 1998.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...