Future 2021 HC and QB

Jets4realz

4 minutes ago, Jets4realz said:

What would you think about a Brian schottenhiemer and Trevor Lawrence tandem look like for the Jets 2021. Brian former Jet has been a solid play caller every where he goes. He now with the Seahawks and Russel playing his best football. Put him with Trev who know probably can change this franchise around. My only concern with brian is can players buy into him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Trolling or serious?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jets4realz said:

What would you think about a Brian schottenhiemer and Trevor Lawrence tandem look like for the Jets 2021. Brian former Jet has been a solid play caller every where he goes. He now with the Seahawks and Russel playing his best football. Put him with Trev who know probably can change this franchise around. My only concern with brian is can players buy into him.

This is simply not true.  His career is much like that of Gaze in that “his” success has been with a great QB and having nothing to do with him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Schotty was not great under Ryan.  Haven't we had enough of the top assistant lottery system for hiring a new coach?  Harbaugh is the answer - he is a proven winning NFL coach.  That is all that matters.  Take the known quantity, especially when he has a history of great success - and without a top QB.  Gase and Schotty were successful only with Manning and Wilson.  Bienemy has Mahomes and Reed's system and Reed's play calling.  Harbaugh built SF from nothing and went to 3 NFC title games and a SB with Smith and Kaepernick.  When. he left, SF went back in the toilet, which is where they were before he got there.

College and NFL coaching are not comparable in any way.  College coaching is all about recruiting and spotting talented 17 year olds, convincing 20 a year to come to State U, and then turning 40-45 of these 80 into successful college players.  Alabama wins because they have more talent than anyone else, not because Saban outreaches his opponents. He out recruits them.  The NFL coaching annals are littered with failed college coaches.  It is rare for a successful college coach go have success in the NFL.  The odds are that Daboll falls flat in the NFL, with or without Lawrence.  

8 hours ago, Jets4realz said:

You mean hire the guy who needs hall of famer qb skill set to make his efficiency driven offense work here with a rookie QB? Probably not smart. Erieally similar to Gase who also needed a HOF QB to make his crap work. 

No thanks

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

920x920.jpg.27beb90e9dda4738c45b274a8734ed2f.jpgs-gatorade.jpg.56d234665d088fb33474fbddd15f8d4e.jpg

137013875_8.jpg.20491136b2924bf96cf621b8818ff5b6.jpg

3fe4e12f8090d0944922d2b00bf118e1.jpg.c88e115f62e26a1670be40ad93e954ce.jpg

20200101-214428-phpdV75AP.thumb.jpg.0fad6bd8b09850ef353e24c74d6b5e43.jpg

I don't want a "college coach" I want an NFL QB driven and offensive minded Head Coach for Trevor; and one in Jim Harbaugh who has an NFL Top-5 All-Time head coaching winning percentage (.695) along with 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB Appearance throughout a 4 year (dominant) NFL run (with 0 losing seasons). 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Want Joe Brady or Matt Campbell would not be totally crushed with Daboll

Do not want any part of Harbaugh or Bienamy or Roman or Caldwell thus it ill probably be one of these guys I do not want.

Why not Harbaugh? I can understand the next 3 (though, I think Caldwell would bring stability back if nothing else)

3 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Why not Harbaugh? I can understand the next 3 (though, I think Caldwell would bring stability back if nothing else)

Harbaugh is a divisive figure with fans.  It’s wierd.  The same guys who pine away for Mangini and his nonsense somehow at the same time view Harbaugh as too abrasive 

Meanwhile Harbaugh’s record as a NFL HC is way better

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

920x920.jpg.27beb90e9dda4738c45b274a8734ed2f.jpgs-gatorade.jpg.56d234665d088fb33474fbddd15f8d4e.jpg

I don't want a "college coach" I want an NFL QB driven and offensive minded Head Coach for Trevor; and one in Jim Harbaugh who has an NFL Top-5 All-Time head coaching winning percentage (.695) along with 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB Appearance throughout a 4 year (dominant) NFL run (with 0 losing seasons). 

Harbaugh would be a franchise transformative move like hiring Bill Parcells in 1997

this franchise needs a coach to rebuild it. 

Matt Campbell of Iowa State has done a great job of building that program.  While they haven't won any championships, he's turning that team into a perennial winner, with so-so recruiting classes in a real tough conference.

Harbaugh could be looked at as a guy that could rebuild the franchise.  I don't like what he's done at Michigan but his performance as the HC of the 9ers was pretty good.

• Upvote 3

The next HC needs to be someone with a proven track record of succeeding because of his own effort and skills. Not someone working under a great HC or gifted a great QB or great team built by someone else. 

Matt Campbell fits the bill. He should be the #1 target. He built Toledo into a winner and in a few years he has Iowa State at #12 in the country with a shot at the Big 12 title. Note: Iowa State has not won a conference title since 1912. That’s 108 years ago. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

*Despite Kapernick

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The next HC needs to be someone with a proven track record of succeeding because of his own effort snd skills. Not someone working under a great HC or gifted a great QB or great team built by someone else. 

Matt Campbell fits the bill. He should be the #1 target. He built Toledo into a winner and in a few years he has Iowa State at #12 in the country with a shot at the Big 12 title. Note: Iowa State has not won a conference title since 1912. That’s 108 years ago. 

Spot-On....   We need someone who can build a winner, not the hot position coach. I'm sure if that candidate is available, then they will know where to find a good OC and DC.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

i think one thing is pretty sure after yesterday's game.  the hc won't be gase and the qb won't be darnold.  the only issue with darnold is if the team gets lawrence.  even there darnold is doubtful as the future jets qb.

as for who the next hc should be, i'm not sold on a college coach unless they have some good credentials and have built successful programs.  former nfl head coaches would be preferred but the really good ones stay with their teams and the ones that are launched are usually let go for good reason.  gase was kind of a tweener.  not bad enough to get launched in miami but probably shouldn't have taken the jets job until he re-established his credentials with a successful coordinator's job.  another thing is the next coach will need to be compatible with douglas.  i certainly hope the johnson's give douglas some good sway in the hiring input.

Trevor Lawrence OR BUST.  No other alternatives will be considered.  From where I am sitting now, HC possibilities look to be Greg Roman (and dont blame him because his QB is a flash in the pan), and possibly Dabol

I also want long term stability, which means I want NOTHING to do with Harbaugh.  He is too much of a nozzle to be a long term NFL HC.   Bieniemy is liked and respected, but may very well be nothing more than a clipboard caddie for Andy. Let's not take that chance, please...

22 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Trevor Lawrence OR BUST.  No other alternatives will be considered.  From where I am sitting now, HC possibilities look to be Greg Roman (and dont blame him because his QB is a flash in the pan), and possibly Dabol

I also want long term stability, which means I want NOTHING to do with Harbaugh.  He is too much of a nozzle to be a long term NFL HC.   Bieniemy is liked and respected, but may very well be nothing more than a clipboard caddie for Andy. Let's not take that chance, please...

Roman or Daboll would make me give up my tickets for good

10 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Harbaughh has been out of the league for how many years now?  7 or 8?

the league has changed a lot since then and his offenses in michgan look like they are still in the dark ages compared to modern offenses.

He totally  failed to achive success at michigan and no winning 10 games a year is not success for one of the richest and most powerful programs with huge recruiting advantages.

He failed to develop any qbs at michigan during his time there, that is concerning.

I just think he is a good candidate 7 years ago kind of guy.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If the Jets finish with the 1st pick, then all Head Coaching candidates are going to know that they will get the opportunity to work with, and develop Trevor Lawrence. Trevor will also know he will be going to the Jets.

I would talk to Trevor Lawrence's agent in that scenario and work with them to find someone who he is comfortable with. 

I've heard people say it's dumb to let a rookie pick the HC, but honestly, I'd rather Trevor Lawrence pick the next Head Coach of the Jets instead of Christopher Johnson. 

No way do I want a rookie QB to have anything to do with selecting the staff.  Not a chance in the bloody pit of hell.  I *REALLY* want Trevor Lawrence, but no way in hell do you give a player any idea that he has anything to do with who will coach him.  Draft him, pay him and develop him under a strong coach that the GM and only the GM picks.  

I dont know who the next HC will be, but I think we have the right guy in Joe Douglas to get us a good one.

17 hours ago, Jets4realz said:

image.jpeg.38ead942515ff32a701d77b743726c8d.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Harbaughh has been out of the league for how many years now?  7 or 8?

the league has changed a lot since then and his offenses in michgan look like they are still in the dark ages compared to modern offenses.

He totally  failed to achive success at michigan and no winning 10 games a year is not success for one of the richest and most powerful programs with huge recruiting advantages.

He failed to develop any qbs at michigan during his time there, that is concerning.

I just thunk he is a good candidate 7 years ago kind of guy.

With that said...

Welcome your new Head Coach of the N.Y. Jets!!

• Upvote 1

This is how I feel: there is no set formula, set predictor or guarantee of "what a good NFL coach looks like".  It's plain and simple. Some coordinators, some college coaches, some retreads.

There is no trend one way or the other.

With that being said, I am open to anything.  Literally, anything.  We wanted Mike McCarthy, look at him.  We didn't want Matt Rhule.  Look at him.

I am open to anything.

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I feel like Ralphie in Christmas Story wanting Trevor Lawrence and Jim Harbaugh.

santa claus christmas GIF

Merry Christmas Santa GIF by Johnny Slicks

"You're a Jets fan, Kid."

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

How come ??? Can you expand on that ??? 

I can. Roman to me is more of a three tight end, ground and pound OC with very little creativity. Now I know the response will be look at his offense with Jackson, its not ground and pound. But if you look closer, it is and teams have figured out Jackson this year.  They have 327 rushing attempts with Jackson as the leader in attempts and yards gained. They have 279 passing attempts. 

Daboll to me is not a head coach, he's a decent OC at best. 

The Jets need a real type A personality with HC experience to flip this mess. Neither one of these guys would do that.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I can. Roman to me is more of a three tight end, ground and pound OC with very little creativity. Now I know the response will be look at his offense with Jackson, its not ground and pound. But if you look closer, it is and teams have figured out Jackson this year.  They have 327 rushing attempts with Jackson as the leader in attempts and yards gained. They have 279 passing attempts. 

Daboll to me is not a head coach, he's a decent OC at best. 

The Jets need a real type A personality with HC experience to flip this mess. Neither one of these guys would do that.

All good points.  Agree on Dabol.  He may not be suited for the big chair.  Not so sure I agree with Roman.  I think he can adapt.  He did with Jackson, but smart coaches no how to defend him now.  I remember how badly I got flamed for posting last year that "Jackson had more holes in his game than a piece of Swiss cheese".  Not saying that Jackson is not a good QB.  You can win with him, but he is limited as a passer.  If plan "A" does not work out, and a defense can contain him, it will be hard for an OC to generate a lot of yardage through the air with him.  And it will be very hard to play from behind.   Right now, the fall off we see in the Ravens offense is not on Roman.  It is more of an issue with Roman working with a limited passer.  

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

All good points.  Agree on Dabol.  He may not be suited for the big chair.  Not so sure I agree with Roman.  I think he can adapt.  He did with Jackson, but smart coaches no how to defend him now.  I remember how badly I got flamed for posting last year that "Jackson had more holes in his game than a piece of Swiss cheese".  Not saying that Jackson is not a good QB.  You can win with him, but he is limited as a passer.  If plan "A" does not work out, and a defense can contain him, it will be hard for an OC to generate a lot of yardage through the air with him.  And it will be very hard to play from behind.   Right now, the fall off we see in the Ravens offense is not on Roman.  It is more of an issue with Roman working with a limited passer.  

Fair enough on Roman and agreed on Jackson. Roman to me is not the guy for this particular job.  It will not surprise me though if he's at the top of the list assuming the connection with Douglas.