So, Marvin Lewis.

T0mShane

5 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Marvin's record in the playoffs is a combination of bad luck with injury, poor team discipline and poor in-game management.

Like I said, he wouldn't be my first choice off the board but he would not be the worst. Lewis did a lot of good for that franchise, brought them a level of structure and professionalism they had not had before(or since, to be honest).

The players didn't even have water or Gatorade on the sidelines before Marvin was there. This is the level of ineptitude you are asking someone to be successful with.

lol, holy sh*t that's hilarious.

I can see how anybody who walks in to an organization and gives players bottled water, Gatorade, and new jock straps for the first time, while suggesting that they should be ready to play on any given Sunday deserves praise for bringing professional changes like that, but that's a pretty low bar. Heck, half of JetNation could've made those changes.

I'd still rather shoot higher than somebody who "wouldn't be the worst choice".

• Upvote 1

Often times we get these guys that have been around success. Coaching the Jets is a different beast. You have to know how to work with incompetence. The Bengals are like the Jets in that sense. They have like 4 scout for crying out loud.

Marvin Lewis became coach of the Bengals when they were at the bottom and had not had a winning season in over a decade. They were the Jets. Well the Jets were the Jets in the 90’s also. He had success with Cincinnati.

Im not against this hiring. He’s been through what it would take to bring the Jets to being in contention to make the playoff annually.

He’s not a sexy hire. But i think it would be solid. Ideally he’s bring a creative offensive coordinator with him and brings in a d coordinator who can call plays.

Matt Campbell is still my top guy though.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Marvin Lewis was a solid NFL head coach that can not be taken away from him and he earned great respect. But he is a very safe hire. We have seen his peak and its not where the jets want to go. He can provide some stability to the franchise but the fans do not want 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 etc... Its time to see a superbowl and we will not get there with Marvin lewis 

While I can’t really argue with your take, a key difference would be he’ll likely have TLaw. QBs take good coaches to that top level. A safe hire is a good description though. 

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I most certainly wouldn't want him as our head coach because he's 0-7 in the playoffs; but it still amazes me despite coaching for two absolute crap Franchises (Cleveland/Cincinnati) how he's managed to have an above .500 record of 131-122 throughout 16 years with both of those teams. 0-7 throughout the playoffs is enough for me to say no thnx. 

Could you imagine him coming to coach the Jets, never winning a playoff game, and finishing something like a 20 year NFL career with a winning record in 3 of the historically worst NFL franchises in the modern era?  It would be the strangest career for sure of a guy who most people would categorize as fairly successful due to a .500+ record.  Crazy.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ToonforPrez said:

Cowher is too old and hasn't been in football for a long time hey Marvin Lewis now that's a man i get behind to be the next jet coach lol

Pete Caroll is 69, Bill Belichick is 68, Bill Cowher is 63, Andy Reid is 62, Vic Fangio is 62, etc.  Not worried about the ages of these guys.  The duration out of the league is a legitimate concern.  BUT, Cowher is a more managerial HC, a motivator, a culture and tone setter, he instills discipline and direction more than running X's and O's.  I'd be fine with Cowher if he assembled a good team of coordinators similar to what Bill Parcells did when he came here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Pete Caroll is 69, Bill Belichick is 68, Bill Cowher is 63, Andy Reid is 62, Vic Fangio is 62, etc.  Not worried about the ages of these guys.  The duration out of the league is a legitimate concern.  BUT, Cowher is a more managerial HC, a motivator, a culture and tone setter, he instills discipline and direction more than running X's and O's.  I'd be fine with Cowher if he assembled a good team of coordinators similar to what Bill Parcells did when he came here.

You would think Cowher, with all the connections and friends he has in the NFL could put together one hell of a staff.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Lewis deserves more credit. He basically dragged the Bengals kicking and screaming into the 21st century in terms of their scouting and development methods.

That being said, game day he's an awful manager and his teams were historically undisciplined.

He's probably a better DC than a HC. That Bengals team from 2011-2014 was one of the best rosters 1-53 in the league.

I fixed it for you.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I would love Cowher over Lewis it's not even close!!. I'm meh on Harbaugh but even him is better then what we have at this very moment in time.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Well, if the Johnson's let him pick his own guys. 

Gsse/Williams was an arranged marriage.

Once we hire a coach we need @CTM to send a virus, computer one not from his bloodstream, to the Johnson so the Zooms is ruined on their PC’s. This way they will never talk to the coach and Joe Douglas can generally manage the team. Ok, maybe one from his bloodstream too, but a conversation for another time. 

• Sympathy 1

I know everyone wants to rip on the playoff record.  But he coached one of the most dysfunctional organizations for 16 years.  He had more success than failure again with one of the more dysfunctional franchises.  
It wouldn’t be a sexy hire, but he’s someone that brings credibility as soon as he walks into the building.  To coach as long as he did in one place, while having success, and really his message was never lost on his players (until the end) is impressive.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Well, if the Johnson's let him pick his own guys. 

Gsse/Williams was an arranged marriage.

Think this would be different.  Plus I dont know how arranged was the Gase/Williams marriage.  Was it forced on Gase or was it a solid suggestion that Gase could have override if he wasnt on board.  I dont know, Gase came in with NFL exp. but did he have a DC in mind and the Jets forced Williams on him, I dont know.  Again, I would think Cowher comes to the table you know hes picking his own staff.

11 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yes he did, however, Lewis was hired by Cowher to be the Steelers linebacker coach in 1992, and they ran 3-4. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but he ran a 4-3 with the Bucs, then ran a 4-3 for 15ish years on the Bengals.

He ran the LB in a 3-4 for a year or 2 in Pitt, 28 years ago.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Once we hire a coach we need @CTM to send a virus, computer one not from his bloodstream, to the Johnson so the Zooms is ruined on their PC’s. This way they will never talk to the coach and Joe Douglas can generally manage the team. Ok, maybe one from his bloodstream too, but a conversation for another time. 

His bloodstream and the lines of code are one and the same.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Lewis deserves more credit. He basically dragged the Bengals kicking and screaming into the 21st century in terms of their scouting and development methods.

That being said, game day he's an awful manager and his teams were historically undisciplined.

He's probably a better GM than a HC. That Bengals team from 2011-2014 was one of the best rosters 1-53 in the league.

These 2 things went hand-in-hand under Lewis.  He constantly went after tremendous athletes who were high-risk character guys.  You can have 1-3 sociopaths on your team and win a title.  But you can only have so many before the potential for disaster strikes.

Given Douglas' propensity to prioritize high character guys, I don't see how these two approaches would mesh well.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but he ran a 4-3 with the Bucs, then ran a 4-3 for 15ish years on the Bengals.

He ran the LB in a 3-4 for a year or 2 in Pitt, 28 years ago.

I made the comment in jest about Lewis being a candidate to be Cowher's DC, then you asked a rhetorical question afterwards, but the bottom line Marvin Lewis is from the Bill Cowher coaching tree. To suggest they could never work together falls flat.