Just for fun - If you HAD to hire a former Jets HC to come back who would you take?

Just for fun: If you HAD to hire one of these former Jets HC's again as HC, who would you take?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. You are forced to hire a former Jets HC to come back and coach the Jets. Who do you want?

• Adam Gase
    • Todd Bowles
    • Rex Ryan
    • Eric Mangini
    • Herm Edwards

18 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Mangini was the best coach. He wore out his welcome with his mini-Belichick style, but he was a good football coach.

Never won a playoff game had Chad and Farve as his QB's and the QB he let go won the east taking a 1-15 team to 11-5 and the playoffs in a Brady less year.. He also got rid of Abe,Mawae and Pete Kendall.. Best thing he did was a cameo on the Sopranos where they should have put a hit on him.. They also hated him in his 2 losing seasons with the Browns..:eek:

No votes for Charley Winner?  A Jersey guy with ties to the Weeb, Shula, and George Allen coaching trees.  He was instrumental in the development of Jim Hart and was de facto GM Miami when they selected Marino.  Lifetime 44-44-5, he has got to be itching to get back on the sideline.  Not quite 97 years old, I think he has some good years left.

The Mangini love-fest around here is so laughable.  It has no basis in reality, and only exists because he didn't have as many years to gain our hatred as most others (Gase obviously excluded, but he was just the most efficient at it).  That led to some fans later playing a game of make-believe, crediting him for the work of others and the future success that was in fact completely dependent on his firing.  It's not some coincidence that these claims of hidden greatness only first appeared years after he was gone from the Jets, and completely out of the league, but fan hatred had grown stronger for Rex and Tanny than him.

Meanwhile, in the real life world of his coaching, after a first regular season that gave a glimmer of hope, it was a complete unmitigated disaster from that wild card blowout on forward, capped off by the 2008 implosion that saw him do nothing as the season spiraled, besides personally take over the defense, which performed even worse as a direct result.

I'd begrudgingly go with Bowles simply because he's the only one of the group who isn't a completely intolerable douchebag, so while sure to be a failure, at least I wouldn't have the same level of disgust for him getting paid a cent of our money.  But really, I'd rather see the team completely decommissioned before anything like this would ever be allowed to be considered for any of them.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Mangini love-fest around here is so laughable.  It has no basis in reality, and only exists because he didn't have as many years to gain our hatred as most others (Gase obviously excluded, but he was just the most efficient at it).  That led to some fans later playing a game of make-believe, crediting him for the work of others and the future success that was in fact completely dependent on his firing.  It's not some coincidence that these claims of hidden greatness only first appeared years after he was gone from the Jets, and completely out of the league, but fan hatred had grown stronger for Rex and Tanny than him.

Meanwhile, in the real life world of his coaching, after a first regular season that gave a glimmer of hope, it was a complete unmitigated disaster from that wild card blowout on forward, capped off by the 2008 implosion that saw him do nothing as the season spiraled, besides personally take over the defense, which performed even worse as a direct result.

I'd begrudgingly go with Bowles simply because he's the only one of the group who isn't a completely intolerable douchebag, so while sure to be a failure, at least I wouldn't have the same level of disgust for him getting paid a cent of our money.  But really, I'd rather see the team completely decommissioned before anything like this would ever be allowed to be considered for any of them.

Say what you want, but under Mangini, the Jets obtained talent and played decently hard. Rex took that talent to another world, but was exposed once that talent eroded. Not perfect, but from that list, it's Mangini for sure. 

Mangini (23-25, .479) over Rex (46-50, .479)? 

Hmmmm.

Rex had two AFCCG appearances and 6 for 6 Top 10 Defenses and was sorta fun at times.

Mangini.....um.....He had Brett Favre and our last Top 10 Scoring Offense, so that is something.

Yeah, tough choice. 

I went Rex.  Suppose I could see Mangini too, although Mangini was awful in Cleveland (5 wins and 5 wins), whereas Rex was meh average in Buffalo (8 wins and 7 wins).

Prefer neither, would take Rex if forced.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Say what you want, but under Mangini, the Jets obtained talent and played decently hard. Rex took that talent to another world, but was exposed once that talent eroded. Not perfect, but from that list, it's Mangini for sure. 

So basically, Mangini the head coach was terrible at the actual coaching thing he was hired and paid to do, but it somehow helps if we just pretend he was actually doing other people's jobs instead of his own?

His miserable failure with the most talented of Jets' rosters is far more of an indictment than a defense.  Even if the baseless double-secret-GM claims held any water, it would only prove he's an incompetent coach who should really get a front office job, but it would seem no one outside of JN-fan-fictioneers would agree with that assessment either.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

So basically, Mangini the head coach was terrible at the actual coaching thing he was hired and paid to do, but it somehow helps if we just pretend he was actually doing other people's jobs instead of his own?

His miserable failure with the most talented of Jets' rosters is far more of an indictment than a defense.  Even if the baseless double-secret-GM claims held any water, it would only prove he's an incompetent coach who should really get a front office job, but it would seem no one outside of JN-fan-fictioneers would agree with that assessment either.

Absolutely. Outside of 11 games with a healthy Favre, his teams were trash and/or the most boring football I’ve ever seen. He was horrendous, and the entire football world agrees - as evidenced by his continuing lack of employment. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Mangini should have been given more time.  He helped build the teams that rex had success with.

Was just going to say the same thing... I liked Rex, but he did it with Mangini's picks. I'd like to see what Mangini and JD could do.

44 minutes ago, Drums said:

Didn’t everyone hate Mangini because he couldn’t make halftime adjustments? Might still be the best of the bunch but I went with Rex because it was the most fun watching those teams

I posted about the Jets pendulum swinging back and forth for years on the Jets HC style preferences.  Herm and his BBQs were too player-friendly and the Jets didn't want a "players coach" anymore.  Enter Eric Mangini the hardass, "it's a process," players shouldn't do interviews, discipline, etc.  The team got too tight....enter Rex Ryan the fun-loving, snack-eating, Super Bowl promising HC who all the players loved and danced around when Woody extended him.  Rex's loose ship, loose lips and too big personality then gave way to Todd Bowles....the single most boring, uninspiring statue I've ever seen on a sideline.  We needed to do a pulse check to make sure he hadn't died standing up on the sideline at times.  So after a string of too many defensive head coaches we went to Adam Gase, got a googley eyed press conference, a ton of losses....and the rest is history.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1