Grade the Potential Hire - Marvin Lewis

Marvin Lewis?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets hire Marvin Lewis, I would give it a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

9 minutes ago, peebag said:

Who would be better?

Just about the entire list of guys we have asked to interview.  The list would be very very long.

I did not like the makeup of the cincy teams he coached, he never won a big game.  Out of the league for a couple of years.

Is he better than Adam Gase?  For sure.  We can do better.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Depends on who he brings in as OC, DC on down.  

Hes a CEO type, which is good but he has to have lieutenants under him worth a damn

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe three of his coordinators in Cinci ended up with head coaching jobs. They were the Brian Dabolls and Arthur Smiths of their time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just about the entire list of guys we have asked to interview.  The list would be very very long.

I did not like the makeup of the cincy teams he coached, he never won a big game.  Out of the league for a couple of years.

Is he better than Adam Gase?  For sure.  We can do better.

But its not like he's been home sitting on the couch. He's been working in Football as an assistant for Herm at ASU. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Someone else said it (might be you) but I like that he worked with herm. It showed an addiction to football. Humble move to mess with asu. He didn't have to take that job 

It wasn't me, but that is another good point. He's a lifer and would probably love the challenge of coming here. 

• Upvote 2

No thanks. The Jets hold enough of their own records for incompetence, they don't need to be adding the single worst postseason coach in league history. I'd rather gamble with an unknown than double down on a proven failure.

The one attraction to giving a former HC their second chance is the learning and growth they could've gone through since their first run at the job. Him being out of the league since then gives little reason to believe that has occurred.

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

C+  Would fix the culture but wouldn't win anything big.

So a guy who let Vontez Burficit and Pacman Jones run wild in a playoff game would "change the culture". Right. 

Lewis is a typical retread that the Johnsons would sell as an improvement over Gase. A high school or Pop Warner coach would be better than Gase, so that's not saying much.

Is this some kind of joke? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

The reality is he as a HC is much better than Bowles and Gase put together, it seems that there are other good candidates. He was able to get his players that had talent the ball and used them correctly while they had them - AJ Green, and he made Dalton look decent - he was trash.

It would be a A grade signing reletive to what we had as far as coaching goes but I would not be excited about it, I think fan base deserves to be excted about the new coach and they should pick someone else, but that being said. ANyone that is not trying to bash, has to admit he would be a good hire for us, all the while there are other good people to hire as well. 

Lewis is not Bowles or gase and that in itself it an A.

Which animal poop is preferable to clean off the bottom of your shoes? PATHETIC. 

37 minutes ago, Bugg said:

So a guy who let Vontez Burficit and Pacman Jones run wild in a playoff game would "change the culture". Right. 

Lewis is a typical retread that the Johnsons would sell as an improvement over Gase. A high school or Pop Warner coach would be better than Gase, so that's not saying much.

The Johnsons have hired one retread in 20+ years.  One, and this one interviewed, hasn’t even been hired.  I can’t figure out what’s typical about i, other than saying it’s typical makes it sound worse. 

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Serious question, with all the teams he took to the playoffs, which one was a team that you thought would make a deep run and then his coaching cost them their shot?  Which memorable play?  

The two losses I think were the worst were the two vs Houston. Those were brutal losses(one with TJ Yates at QB.)

• Upvote 1

Pretty much feel the same as most: wouldnt hate it nor would i love it.

but heres the funny part. If a jeanie came to jets fans  and said that he would give us the best HC the jets have had in 35 years, minus parcells, every mfer in this forum would say THANK YOU jeanie and offer a bj.

well, lewis is just that.

• Post of the Week 2

45 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Culture of losing isn't culture of accountability.  It's the losing part that we should probably work on first.  And IDK if it's a joke.  Maybe watch some Marx Brothers movies and familiarize yourself with the concept.  If it's so difficult for you.

49 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Good point have we forgotten the Bungles were an infamous thug factory during Marvin's time there

21 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The two losses I think were the worst were the two vs Houston. Those were brutal losses(one with TJ Yates at QB.)

Yeah, but in fairness in 2012 it was a 10-6 Cincy team facing a 12-4 Texans team in Houston and the other was a 9-6 Cincy team.  I understand but my red flag would come out even more if he was playing a weaker team and got blown out.  Each loss was a score or less.  But yeah, they stand out.  

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good point have we forgotten the Bungles were an infamous thug factory during Marvin's time there

If youre cheap and struggle to bring in talent, taking players that others let fall on the cheap could be the reason 

• Upvote 3

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I would be quite happy with this hire.  A known quantity that will carry weight with other coaches and teams.

A very competent coach, successful HC experience in the NFL - proven he can get to the playoffs, in a very tough division.

I'm sure he's learned.  Get better QB play and he can start winning some of those games.

The more I think about it - this would be one of the better hires we can find.

Also proven he can lose every playoff game he has coached. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Depends on who he brings in as OC, DC on down.  

Hes a CEO type, which is good but he has to have lieutenants under him worth a damn

I think hes a long shot.

I would not pick him, but remember in Cincy, he was given zero $$$ to sign free agents etc. i think he can draw good coordinators...

• Upvote 3