Jump to content

So are you still comfortable with Fields or Wilson?


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fields is far from garbage

he's just not worth 2 overall

this is the highest draft pick this team has had for decades 

they can't just reach out of need

I agree, but there seems to be a overreaction to not wanting Fields calling him Haskins 2.0/Cardale Jones/JT Barrett or whatever. If the QB's aren't worth the #2 selection they shouldn't force the issue

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes to both. Not taking a QB is just shockingly dumb.

I'm comfortable with Fields.  Don't want any part of Wilson.

Fields in a heartbeat.  He's the smartest QB in the draft.  He's a physical freak with a brain.  You can't teach smart.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i still say there will be a great debate within the jets between keeping darnold, trading back and getting picks and taking wilson.  i think wilson is going to be an instant hit, a star.  

Of course there will and I'd expect nothing less. This is a huge decision for the HC, the GM and the New York Jets. Its not often that teams choose to part with a #3 draft pick that many lauded as the next FQB.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Of course there will and I'd expect nothing less. This is a huge decision for the HC, the GM and the New York Jets. Its not often that teams choose to part with a #3 draft pick that many lauded as the next FQB.  

i can't see douglas trading darnold and drafting fields.  so i think the debate will be, keep darnold, trade out and get even more picks, or take wilson and trade darnold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Icer said:

I agree, but there seems to be a overreaction to not wanting Fields calling him Haskins 2.0/Cardale Jones/JT Barrett or whatever. If the QB's aren't worth the #2 selection they shouldn't force the issue

We're saying the same thing

the Haskins etc stuff is why JD would be reaching. It's not enough to believe in something. It's also important to pay what it's worth

I believe in the US Dollar but I don't shortchange myself when I go to the kiosk in the foreign airport or whatever. 

I like chocolate, I won't pay 100 dollars for a Cadbury cream egg. there is a difference between saying a guy isn't good and saying he's not worth 2. The dude could have an amazing NFL career, he could be awesome but JD has to read the room  - and the room is not internet folks like @QB1

it's 32 establishment dudes wearing docker khakis to their zoom meeting at the dining room table

 put it another way if JD passes on Sewell how far does that guy drop? 5 maybe is his absolute floor

if JD passes on Fields or Wilson how far do they drop? maybe to the Jamal Adams pick, or close enough to it that they can jump up and snag him. 

i don't hate Fields, in fact there's a universe where they get both Sewell and Fields. It's unlikely but it's the correct way to play the board. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If you truly believe this I have some ocean front property in Nebraska I'd like to sell you. :dohslap:

Sam did not become this bad on his own. He was better as a rookie. Gase destroyed him. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How dense am I . How many starting QB's are there in the NFL ? Its a once in a lifetime opportunity that requires full mental and physical preparation , sure he hasn't had the best supporting cast or HC but he has to put in the work to overcome the mental aspect of that game that everything else is built upon. This isn't USC he can't rely on off script plays and improvisation for all his success. 

You're quite incredibly dense. Since success is not just predicated on how hard you work but the support system and your environment just like most jobs in America. Jordan Palmer has talked about how Darnold has gone in along with Josh Allen and worked everyday with him the last off-season. Everyone in the organization talks about how Darnold is a hard worker and that's probably why they haven't just given up on him. The Jets organization has been an absolute failure in having any structure or pieces the last few years to properly develop a young quarterback and that is why you've seen Darnold regress the last year. Can you honestly say you weren't excited about Darnold's potential the last few games of his rookie year and look at where the organization has led him to now.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We're saying the same thing

the Haskins etc stuff is why JD would be reaching. It's not enough to believe in something. It's also important to pay what it's worth

I believe in the US Dollar but I don't shortchange myself when I go to the kiosk in the foreign airport or whatever. 

I like chocolate, I won't pay 100 dollars for a Cadbury cream egg. there is a difference between saying a guy isn't good and saying he's not worth 2. The dude could have an amazing NFL career, he could be awesome but JD has to read the room  - and the room is not internet folks like @QB1

it's 32 establishment dudes wearing docker khakis to their zoom meeting at the dining room table

 put it another way if JD passes on Sewell how far does that guy drop? 5 maybe is his absolute floor

if JD passes on Fields or Wilson how far do they drop? maybe to the Jamal Adams pick, or close enough to it that they can jump up and snag him. 

i don't hate Fields, in fact there's a universe where they get both Sewell and Fields. It's unlikely but it's the correct way to play the board. 

Agree.... Sewell is not falling past Cincy, and Atlanta is the only one I think that will bite on Fields that soon. Not saying Fields won't go in say the top 10, but unless Atlanta is already sold on Fields I think he drops way more than Sewell.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rayzor said:

Yes, we need a QB.  I'm ok with either.  I'll cut Fields a little slack on last nights game because he definitely couldn't play his normal game due to injuries.  He didn't have Devonta Smith on his team either.  

Also lost his starting RB Sermon on the 1st play, and the D had lost a starting great DT and they couldn't stop a nose bleed last night. Fields is still worth the risk at #2 and try and get a 2nd rounder for Darnold preferably in this years draft so we still have a 1, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, and 4 to draft WR/OL/RB/CB/Edge. And from before the draft if we can get 1 of the strong WR FA class members and a G like Thuney and we will be fine if we have a HC with at least half a brain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still comfortable with Fields.....Wilson too but to a far lesser extent..

 

The pendulum swings here are nuts.....Fields wasn't the 2nd coming of Elway after torching Clemson, and hes not the 2nd coming of Jamarcus Russell after a lackluster performance against Bama....he's the 2nd rated QB in this class going back to HS and has a whole body of work to be evaluated on...

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 68JET11 said:

Agree.... Sewell is not falling past Cincy, and Atlanta is the only one I think that will bite on Fields that soon. Not saying Fields won't go in say the top 10, but unless Atlanta is already sold on Fields I think he drops way more than Sewell.

the Jets have 23, 34 and whatever Sam's worth (probably a 2nd) and they can use that ammo to go get Fields at 15 or wherever if they want him so badly 

the people who advocate taking him at 2 "no matter what" are the types of people who go to the grocery store with their mom's 100 and don't bring back change  - it's like whatever dude not my money

JD will get fired if this 2 pick bombs. He has to put his house on the market and pull his kids out of school. It is not play around time and hope for the best. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If we had a competent OL, someone like Carson or Akers as our RB, at least one competent  cover DB, and a #1 WR, o would be be im total agreement,  but we have none of these.  We can take a lot of pressure off the QN just by giving him a solid OL so the next guy doesn't  need to be a hero.

If it was that easy to get "the next guy" why doesn't every NFL team have a top QB?  The chance to grab a top QB in the draft doesn't come around often.  And if the Jets rebuild successfully without a QB, we become the Bears with a ceiling of an occasional playoff loss and a floor that is to high to draft the "next guy"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Also lost his starting RB Sermon on the 1st play, and the D had lost a starting great DT and they couldn't stop a nose bleed last night. Fields is still worth the risk at #2 and try and get a 2nd rounder for Darnold preferably in this years draft so we still have a 1, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, and 4 to draft WR/OL/RB/CB/Edge. And from before the draft if we can get 1 of the strong WR FA class members and a G like Thuney and we will be fine if we have a HC with at least half a brain.

Sorry, Sermon and the DT weren't going to change the outcome of that game. I forget the guys name, but the other RB for OSU wasn't all that bad. The DT probably could have caused more pressure on Bama, but it was clear, Bama's OL did one hell of a job on what was supposed to be a good OSU DL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I do not care what the big boards say pre workouts 

At this point last year Becton was a Rd 1 cusp players 

And you think Wilson/ Fields/ Lance are gonna drop after their workouts? When Wilson comes in at 6’2 1/2” and 218lbs, does that make him any better than he is now? Sewell is gonna be great in workouts he probably won’t be greater than Wirfs or Becton. 

And again the value of QB vs the value of a LT when a team already has a LT has no comparison.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sam did not become this bad on his own. He was better as a rookie. Gase destroyed him. 

A better rookie when teams had less film on him. NFL DC's adjust to players tendencies and shortcomings and Belicheck wrote the book on that during the "seeing ghosts" game. Gase did him no favors but if anybody is destroying Sam - its Sam himself. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Welp said:

You're quite incredibly dense. Since success is not just predicated on how hard you work but the support system and your environment just like most jobs in America. Jordan Palmer has talked about how Darnold has gone in along with Josh Allen and worked everyday with him the last off-season. Everyone in the organization talks about how Darnold is a hard worker and that's probably why they haven't just given up on him. The Jets organization has been an absolute failure in having any structure or pieces the last few years to properly develop a young quarterback and that is why you've seen Darnold regress the last year. Can you honestly say you weren't excited about Darnold's potential the last few games of his rookie year and look at where the organization has led him to now.

Again read and digest what I am saying instead of just calling me names because you don't agree with me.  I know lots of guys who go to work everyday , work crazy hours , work OT and weekends but they just can't learn the job and try to make up for it by playing the good soldier. That only goes so far and eventually they either burnout or get exposed for what they really are - mediocre.

Sam hasn't learned how to diagnose defenses , he locks in on receivers , he can't identify a blitz . How many times were there issues pointed out on TV game broadcasts by former players and QB's.  Trust me I wanted Sam to be the FQB we so sorely need , I made excuses for him for the better part of 3 years. No HC who's job is on the line is going to want to take on this reclamation project . Sam needs to be stripped down and rebuilt from the ground up and at his point in time that 's too much of a burden for an entirely new staff to take on.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again read and digest what I am saying instead of just calling me names because you don't agree with me.  I know lots of guys who go to work everyday , work crazy hours , work OT and weekends but they just can't learn the job and try to make up for it by playing the good soldier. That only goes so far and eventually they either burnout or get exposed for what they really are - mediocre.

Sam hasn't learned how to diagnose defenses , he locks in on receivers , he can't identify a blitz . How many times were there issues pointed out on TV game broadcasts by former players and QB's.  Trust me I wanted Sam to be the FQB we so sorely need , I made excuses for him for the better part of 3 years. No HC who's job is on the line is going to want to take on this reclamation project . Sam needs to be stripped down and rebuilt from the ground up and at his point in time that 's too much of a burden for an entirely new staff to take on.   

yes, and i think what will tip the scales towards a new qb is not wanting to take on the additional burden of trying to fix darnold while inheriting one of the worst teams in the nfl.  it's much easier to draft a new qb and train that guy in the one system you want him to run.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Put Fields on Alabama and Jones on OSU do you think you would feel the same way?  Lets not get carried away here.  Remember Lawrence had a terrible championship game against LSU and a subpar one against OSU this year but yet his still considered the top quarterback.   Fields is going to be a star for some team that doesn't get caught up in "overthinking it".     Fields played with a hip pointer and Alabama is much better team then OSU.   

Yes I think Wilson on OSU or ALA would have put up much better numbers than Fields. He is a BETTER QB. Period.

If we switched Fields and Jones I am not sure Fields outplays Jones at all. Jones is being seriously underrated because he is a slow moderately athletic white guy when everyone seems to want super athletic QBs that run the RPO because somehow that is "better"

Jones demonstrated much better poise and awareness than Fields last night, regardless of injury. When ALA top receiver went out the offense did not really look different. When Jones got banged up the offense did not look different.

I just do not believe Fields will be a good NFL QB

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msena88 said:

Completely agree, but if you look at most of the high end QBs in the league they have elite skill sets. To me, I'd rather roll the dice on the guy with the highest ceiling vs a "safer" option like Wilson or Fields. We see it time and again that the "safe" options fall short long term of the guys who are raw but have ability that just can't be taught. Aaron Rodgers said it earlier this year on one of his Mcafee interviews, to him the first thing he would look for in a QB prospect is their arm strength bc that can fix so many things. Of course there have been countless busts who are just big armed guys, but to me if theres a group like this I think you go for the guy with the highest potential.

Um, have you seen Wilsons arm strength or skill set? He is not safe. He may have the biggest arm in the draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

 Sewell is gonna be great in workouts he probably won’t be greater than Wirfs or Becton.

Would you like to build a snowman? Bet you Sewell has better workouts than both 

 

Wilson has medical questions. Fields has Ohio state questions. Lance has played no one. Yes they could all fall. Aaron Rodgers fell. Lamar Jackson fell. It happens every year. 

Sewell is not getting out of the top 5 no matter what 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I do not care what the big boards say pre workouts 

At this point last year Becton was a Rd 1 cusp players 

You expect Wilson to drop after workouts? Only way he drops is medical

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Welp said:

You're quite incredibly dense. Since success is not just predicated on how hard you work but the support system and your environment just like most jobs in America. Jordan Palmer has talked about how Darnold has gone in along with Josh Allen and worked everyday with him the last off-season. Everyone in the organization talks about how Darnold is a hard worker and that's probably why they haven't just given up on him. The Jets organization has been an absolute failure in having any structure or pieces the last few years to properly develop a young quarterback and that is why you've seen Darnold regress the last year. Can you honestly say you weren't excited about Darnold's potential the last few games of his rookie year and look at where the organization has led him to now.

I agree Darnold is a very hard worker.  Nice kid.  He doesn't have the right stuff at this level.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, johnnysd said:

You expect Wilson to drop after workouts? Only way he drops is medical

You said it 

He's going to drop due to medical and also a lack of tape vs quality opponents 

A guy like Wilson really needed a senior bowl to prove he can play with the big boys. That tape vs Utah and San Diego state isn't the same as tape vs power 5 factory 

But even that could be overlooked if he was healthy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

both will be done with pro ball once their rookie contracts run out.  possibly even before that. 

there was always one clear choice at qb in this draft and the jets blew it straight out their asses... 

fields and wilson are table scaps... 

 

Seriously, I thought you left. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You said it 

He's going to drop due to medical and also a lack of tape vs quality opponents 

A guy like Wilson really needed a senior bowl to prove he can play with the big boys. That tape vs Utah and San Diego state isn't the same as tape vs power 5 factory 

But even that could be overlooked if he was healthy. 

A bunch of first round rated QBs will be there at 23

 

Trey Lance reminds me of Colin Kaepernick (just talking football, not politics)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bitonti said:

You said it 

He's going to drop due to medical and also a lack of tape vs quality opponents 

A guy like Wilson really needed a senior bowl to prove he can play with the big boys. That tape vs Utah and San Diego state isn't the same as tape vs power 5 factory 

But even that could be overlooked if he was healthy. 

We can agree to disagee. I think his medical will be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...