Texans Interview Josh McCown for HC position

choon328

I like McCown and seems like exactly the kind of player with a future in coaching, but to go from absolutely no experience to head coach?  That's absolutely insane.  It's not only a ton to ask of him, while players may dig it, I'm not so sure how much assistant coaches will be on board with that.  I'd have to imagine he'd have to fill out a staff based heavily on other former players, as I'm sure there's a number of long-time coaches who wouldn't really love the idea.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, static14 said:

I was thinking he might be ready to be a QB coach. Head coach? 

I think he could be a good one but what a sh*t show he is walking into if he's the guy.  Not to mention the fans will hate the hire as well because it will be anther reason for a Watson divorce.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

A pastor named Jack Easterby has set himself up as Rasputin: Lone Star, and is generally thought to be leading the franchise right now. Caldwell and--in particular, McCown--are both strongly and vocally religious. You can connect the dots.

I see. Makes more sense now that I know Easterby is a pastor.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

If a team is willing to go though the growing pains of developing a head coach, McCown is probably that guy. He'll be a fine head coach someday, but I can't see him being successful for a few years at the least. I don't see Watson going for this, especially with Bieniemy being available. 

I know I reading way to much into this, but.........................................

After Watson's demands, I honestly thought there would be some kind of response aftert the Bieniemy interview.  Nothing from either the Texans, or Watson.   IMO the McCown interview is very strange all things considered.

I guess I'd like to think that perhaps they would bring McCown in to get an opinion on Darnold from a guy who has worked with him.  Great question: 'If you were to get the HC job here, would you want to stake your job on Darnold?"  Bet McCown would answer honestly 

If McCown (White) with no experience as even a QB coach/Coordinator gets hired over Jim Caldwell (Black) with generally well respected experience as a head coach twice, you will NOT hear the end of the diversity argument on ESPN. 

Bienemy isnt the answer, Caldwell could be the answer for them for stability reasons, but McCown swooping in like that for the position will raise some serious questions. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, morny said:

Probably doesn’t go down well with Watson this one (understandably). 

Well, it actually could be exactly what Watson wants.  A former QB, recognized as a good guy by all.  Smart, long career.  Understands players etc.n. Does Watson know him?

We really don't know the motivations of even bringing him in.

These are some crazy scenarios being thrown around.  Wild implications for the Jets and Darnold.

McCown and someone like Marvin Lewis?  Very interesting for the Texans and yes, that would likely increase the probability of a Darnold trade, especially if Marvin Lewis came in here to interview with the Jets and heard a view from JD that he believes Darnold can succeed.  You'd now have two guys in Lewis and McCown who likely think positively of Sam Darnold, enabling a trade.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

These are some crazy scenarios being thrown around.  Wild implications for the Jets and Darnold.

McCown and someone like Marvin Lewis?  Very interesting for the Texans and yes, that would likely increase the probability of a Darnold trade, especially if Marvin Lewis came in here to interview with the Jets and heard a view from JD that he believes Darnold can succeed.  You'd now have two guys in Lewis and McCown who likely think positively of Sam Darnold, enabling a trade.

360_F_206224834_VfIYAblOFs7Zdj9fo7voKsox

• Haha 3