2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Would be a nice pick up for us. Are we even interested?

Haven’t seen anything about Jets and centers. Seems they’re fine with McGovern but we’ll see! Not sure who else needs a center the team I kept reading about with andrews was indeed Miami 

I’ll be honest, as a fan I have no feel for where the line between JuJu being a TikTok headache who motivates the Browns and a good teammate and high character guy (which seems to be Douglas’ focus) is.

As someone who’s speculated on the offense the Jets are going to run, the 49ers and Packers were 2 wide as much as 3 wide if not more. Someone like Samuel who added more of a speed element, a run action element, could line up in the backfield, and fit the archetype they were looking for in the draft made more sense to me.

I can’t imagine they would now avoid a Waddle/Moore/Darden type in the draft but if they do that and they’re running a lot of 2/3 wide that gets crowded even if they cut Crowder. Kind of an indictment of Mims who I did like. Or maybe the OC’s wrinkle is more three wide looks in this style of offense. Would be a bit of a surprise.

Good counter argument there might be that they tried the bridge and draft a guy and none of it worked out so they don’t want unknowns in Mims and a draft pick competing for a starring role.

I do think the scenario that JuJu makes the most sense is a one year prove it deal. Mims is quality depth and three wide and the rookie can play a gadget WR4 role. I would suspect he comes in right around where Crowder does cap wise and is similar from a productivity standpoint but a better shot he has a good year on a prove it deal than Crowder on the last year of his and they get a shot at a comp pick.

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It wouldn’t be just Mims/Davis/JuJu, potentially you could add Pitts and maybe Rondale to that group, maybe Carter or Javonte running the ball.   It’s a very tempting situation. 

Pitts rounding out that group is kind of ideal because I don’t think there’s a true mismatch that scares defenses, just solid guys...until you add him into the mix. And everyone is big and physical. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

This post (no offense my good buddy) is clinical in its diagnosis of a Jet-fan's lack of weaponz perspective...

Crowder is not REALLY good. he's a little better than average-run-of-the-mill NFL slot WR. He's good at what he does, and on a team like the 2020 jets who had dick-dick Maclean lining up at X and Z - he looked like Wolverine. 

10/10 times you trade him in for Juju, who is more dynamic in the slot - particularly inside the 10, where crowder fades into nothingness.

??

SIDENOTE -- am I the only one who thinks Juju moves the needle to keep Sam, just a bit?... just a bit?.... I'd be lying if curiosity didn't rear it's head thinking of a zone-blocking scheme with Darnold throwing to Mims/Davis/Juju 

Eh, idk, I think he’s pretty damn good. He’s been able to produce and put up 6 TDs the last two years with the likes of Jeff Smith, Chad Hansen, Cager, Perriman and Mims interchanging on the outside with Darnold and Flacco throwing in a Gase offense. 
The fact that there’s been talks of just having Berrios take his place is absolutely insulting. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I mean - they released both of their starting tackles and replaced them with a guard to the largest contract in history and a guy thats been retired. Wouldn't spike the football here just yet

At least they're trying.

NFL rumors: Jets, Steelers competing for WR JuJu Smith-Schuster

Updated 12:43 PM; Today 11:42 AM 

Former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (19) might sign with the New York Jets.AP

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

This could get interesting.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports there’s an “Interesting development in the WR market: The #Jets have been having conversations with #Steelers FA WR JuJu Smith-Schuster, sources say, a potential target in their offense. Despite having signed Corey Davis, NYJ may not be done adding playmakers. Smith-Schuster is one to watch.”

However, NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports “While @RapSheet says the #Jets have conversations with JuJu Smith-Schuster, the #Steelers haven’t closed the door on a return and have remain engaged in the situation the last few days. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion ...”

Smith-Schuster is one of the top wide receivers available in free agency.

The 24-year-old wideout had 97 receptions for 831 yards and a career-high nine touchdowns last season.

In 2018, Smith-Schuster set career bests with 111 receptions and 1,426 yards.

The Jets already signed free-agent wide receiver Corey Davisthis week, giving him a three-year, $37.5 million deal that includes $27 million guaranteed. But general manager Joe Douglas is armed with cap space, and the Jets clearly need upgrades on offense, so signing a second free-agent wide receiver isn’t out of the question.

What Smith-Schuster has to decide is if he wants to take a chance with the Jets, who might trade quarterback Sam Darnold and select a new franchise quarterback with the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

If he returns to Pittsburgh, Smith-Schuster will get at least one more season with two-time Super Bowl champion and future Hall of Famer Ben Roethlisberger.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I’m surprised at the lack of smoke around David Andrews. The guy was team captain and anchored the Pats line for years. I’m pretty sure he’s only 28 too

It sounds like he priced himself out with Miami and they went in another direction, he might me asking for too much. Pure speculation. 

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Pitts rounding out that group is kind of ideal because I don’t think there’s a true mismatch that scares defenses, just solid guys...until you add him into the mix. And everyone is big and physical. 

True, plus the addition of Rondale Moore gives them the speed that would need to be accounted for as well.  You can attack every level of the defense with that group.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Wow.

A guy I've been picking in the 4th-5th round in just about every mock draft I've done. 

Would love to see him as a Jet.

Same.  With a time like that he just made himself a lot of money.  EVEN if it wasn't a regulated combine.  He might be a fringe 2/3 rounder now. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

True, plus the addition of Rondale Moore gives them the speed that would need to be accounted for as well.  You can attack every level of the defense with that group.  

If we can't get Pitts, I'd like Brevin Jordan from Miami. Possibly drops to 3rd round. I'd trade up for him if he's there in late 2nd and you think another team will grab him. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I’m surprised at the lack of smoke around David Andrews. The guy was team captain and anchored the Pats line for years. I’m pretty sure he’s only 28 too

My guess is teams probably think Pats will match whatever teams offer him. He's already stated he wants to remain with the Pats, so unless some team gives him a crazy contract, Bill will just match it.

• Upvote 1