Watson: Uphill battle getting him

Be_a_Jet

I know I know. Another thread on Watson but this is more about the situation than about us. A lot of this was commented on from the Play like a Jet podcast I believe. 

Working Against Us:

A) Nick Caserio: former NE Patriot for a long time, I think this adds to his motivations not to send us a top 5 QB, his relationship to Bill Belichick is extremely strong and although I think he will do what's best for the Texans, I think it adds motivation to find anyone BUT the Jets to send Watson too

B). Brian Flores: Another former NE guy and the only other destination really that Watson can end up at. I'm sure given the history Nick Caserio is more likely to work something out with his former colleague than Joe Douglas and the Jets - which sort of goes back to Caserio's Bill Belichick relationship

C) Screw the man who Screwed You: Probably the most compelling reason, its natural that when someone screws you over,  the last thing you are going to do is send that guy to the exact place he wants. Its just human nature. With reports that NY is his primary destination preference I'm sure owner Cal McNair and Caserio will try to avoid this. 

D) Staying in the Conference: I'm sure their preference is to trade him to a NFC team for obvious reasons - we're fortunate there isn't really an NFC team that has the draft capital to make this happen but still possibility. 

Working For Us:

A) Watson has to OK: No trade clause allows Watson to have to clear where he wants to go. Problem is Miami is also very high on his list. 

B). Saleh: He likes and believes in Saleh - that helps

C). Money: We have the money for this. 

D) Not a lot of other teams who can create a deal we can

So naturally the New England Patriots play another role in our future but I do think Caserio will pick the best deal available, I just think the reasons I cited will give him motivation to find any place but NY with the Jets. 

Thoughts....

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I know I know. Another thread on Watson but this is more about the situation than about us. A lot of this was commented on from the Play like a Jet podcast I believe. 

Working Against Us:

A) Nick Caserio: former NE Patriot for a long time, I think this adds to his motivations not to send us a top 5 QB, his relationship to Bill Belichick is extremely strong and although I think he will do what's best for the Texans, I think it adds motivation to find anyone BUT the Jets to send Watson too

B). Brian Flores: Another former NE guy and the only other destination really that Watson can end up at. I'm sure given the history Nick Caserio is more likely to work something out with his former colleague than Joe Douglas and the Jets - which sort of goes back to Caserio's Bill Belichick relationship

C) Screw the man who Screwed You: Probably the most compelling reason, its natural that when someone screws you over,  the last thing you are going to do is send that guy to the exact place he wants. Its just human nature. With reports that NY is his primary destination preference I'm sure owner Cal McNair and Caserio will try to avoid this. 

D) Staying in the Conference: I'm sure their preference is to trade him to a NFC team for obvious reasons - we're fortunate there isn't really an NFC team that has the draft capital to make this happen but still possibility. 

Working For Us:

A) Watson has to OK: No trade clause allows Watson to have to clear where he wants to go. Problem is Miami is also very high on his list. 

So naturally the New England Patriots play another role in our future but I do think Caserio will pick the best deal available, I just think the reasons I cited will give him motivation to find any place but NY with the Jets. 

Thoughts....

Except it's not up to Nick Caserio, but the owner. 

Also, BB isn't going to stay with the Patriots for very much longer it seems. I doubt he'll be around for most of Watson's years if he did get traded here.

It's either he stays with the Texans somehow, or it's Jets or Dolphins. With perhaps an outside shot at Carolina getting involved in the mix. 

11 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

11 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Again, Watson has a no trade clause, if he wants to pick a team to go to, thats the team he will go to, not to a team some kind of Kevin Bacon relationship 

Sucks but they gave him the right to pick his team and if he picks us its all too bad for anyone who may have a dumb as shlt vendetta against the Jets 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

This might play our way.  MIA could be perceived to have screwed HOU over with the Tunsil trade.

The optics of trading Watson just to get back the picks they used to get Tunsil?  Effectively trading Watson for Tunsil and a few beans?  Bad.  And you know that will be the narrative for weeks after any trade to MIA for the #3. 

Thanks for bringing that up. No trade to Miami should be mentioned without that information. It would be egg on their face to trade Watson to Miami for essentially what should have been their own pick if they hadn't been schooled by Miami. They would be a laughing stock in Houston with the fans, press, etc.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, section314 said:

If they do in fact trade him, the owner has the final say, and I'd doubt he would give two sh*ts if it's to the Jets if they give him the best deal.

But there in lies the “you screwed me im going to screw you” human nature. Watsons camp did let out that comment I assume through reporters of “Cal McNair would have to fire himself for Watson to want to stay”. 

im sure Cal McNair also wants him to end up anywhere except where he wants 

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

Disagree with points A & C.

Caserio shoudl be making decisions strictly based on what is best for the Texans.  He should not be worried about what Belichick would think.  And it should not be his goal to screw Watson.  If the Jets make the best offer, the one that is expected to improve the Texans the most, that is where he should go,  

I agree with your point on the NFC, but I don't see any NFC teams with the draft capital to compete with us or Miami.

Da Bears. Nagy may be the biggest Watson fan not named Dabo on the planet. Supposedly, they may commit organizational suicide to try to get him. Heard it on both ESPN and NFL network Sirius from real plugged in people.

47 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This might play our way.  MIA could be perceived to have screwed HOU over with the Tunsil trade.

The optics of trading Watson just to get back the picks they used to get Tunsil?  Effectively trading Watson for Tunsil and a few beans?  Bad.  And you know that will be the narrative for weeks after any trade to MIA for the #3. 

This is very true and a point I hadn’t thought about. Add that to the “Working for us” section 

57 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Caserio isn't making the biggest decision of his life based on Bill Belichick. His objective should be purely, 100% to get the absolute maximum value back on Watson regardless of where he goes. He's gonna need to rebuild this team from scratch, doing favors for his old boss means nothing.

1 minute ago, football guy said:

As I've said countless times, Jet fans are setting themselves up to be let down

I'll live if Watson doesn't end up here, lol. Either way, Jets win. They either get Watson at a fair cost, or they keep their draft picks (along with maybe trading Darnold for another high pick) and start rebuilding the team. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

As I've said countless times, Jet fans are setting themselves up to be let down

I'm leaning that way too. Feels increasingly like the "he prefers the Jets" talk was bluster put out their by the Texans brass or agents with agendas -- not to mention I don't get the feeling the Jets are all in on giving away the farm for Watson at this point anyway.

52 minutes ago, Lith said:

Disagree with points A & C.

Caserio shoudl be making decisions strictly based on what is best for the Texans.  He should not be worried about what Belichick would think.  And it should not be his goal to screw Watson.  If the Jets make the best offer, the one that is expected to improve the Texans the most, that is where he should go,  

I agree with your point on the NFC, but I don't see any NFC teams with the draft capital to compete with us or Miami.

I agree that they will pick the best deal possible with exception to the whole NFC vs AFC argument but I just don’t think any NFC team can offer anything close. 

my main point is more so that there are motivations to look for better deals elsewhere which may not make a difference if we’re the only ones coming to the table with something worthwhile. It’s something that other teams don’t have to deal with. 

but someone made the good point about the bad optics of Houston trading with Miami just to get their own pick back so there’s that too

I think at some point the Texans don't have to pay Watson if he refuses to play.    In the NFL, the players do not hold the cards.

If there is any team stupid enough to tell a player to play or not be paid, its the Texans. 

The story with the Jets being Watson's preferred destination could be a diversion or not true.

Miami is in better roster shape, has a HC of color (words used carefully), is a lot warmer and closer to Watson's home, is a nicer city for an athlete to live in, and HAS NO INCOME TAX.  For the Jets to have to face Watson and Allen 4x/year would truly stink.  

I would also think that the Texans are ambivalent as to the 2 or 3 pick-it just has to be one of them.  

Watson was the 12th pick.  Do the Jets use the 2 pick on an undersized, injury prone QB in Wilson to compete against two monsters in Watson and Allen 4x/year?  This is a tough one.  The option could be Fields or Prescott.  

The Jets will be in a bidding war with Miami.  The question is whether Miami tries to underbid knowing Watson wants to play for them.  

5 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

But there in lies the “you screwed me im going to screw you” human nature. Watsons camp did let out that comment I assume through reporters of “Cal McNair would have to fire himself for Watson to want to stay”. 

im sure Cal McNair also wants him to end up anywhere except where he wants 

That's the reason why guys like McNair who have made their fortunes are generally successful.....they don't let anything get in the way of doing what is ultimately best for the business. The guys who can't let their ego get out of the way get chewed up and spit out, not become billionaires.

Just now, section314 said:

That's the reason why guys like McNair who have made their fortunes are generally successful.....they don't let anything get in the way of doing what is ultimately best for the business. The guys who can't let their ego get out of the way get chewed up and spit out, not become billionaires.

Good point but Cal McNair inherited the team from his father. He is not his father, he’s actually a dufus as per Houston texan fans 

1 hour ago, Be_a_Jet said:

If this guy is making moves in the NFL to please his old boss and not his new boss, he will have a job for about 3 weeks. That wouldn't be a smart approach. You take the best deal and stop worry about what Belly thinks.

1 hour ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Working Against Us:

Working For Us:

Thoughts....

Why would the owner not maximize their ROI on Watson?  Because that's all your post points too. 

Your 2nd D is the only thing that matters. 

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think at some point the Texans don't have to pay Watson if he refuses to play.    In the NFL, the players do not hold the cards.

If there is any team stupid enough to tell a player to play or not be paid, its the Texans. 

The story with the Jets being Watson's preferred destination could be a diversion or not true.

Miami is in better roster shape, has a HC of color (words used carefully), is a lot warmer and closer to Watson's home, is a nicer city for an athlete to live in, and HAS NO INCOME TAX.  For the Jets to have to face Watson and Allen 4x/year would truly stink.  

I would also think that the Texans are ambivalent as to the 2 or 3 pick-it just has to be one of them.  

Watson was the 12th pick.  Do the Jets use the 2 pick on an undersized, injury prone QB in Wilson to compete against two monsters in Watson and Allen 4x/year?  This is a tough one.  The option could be Fields or Prescott.  

The Jets will be in a bidding war with Miami.  The question is whether Miami tries to underbid knowing Watson wants to play for them.  

They'd have to give up on Tua, who was drafted to be their franchise QB. Seems a little premature.

But then, Watson is a superior QB. 

It's really on the jets to make this happen. It's like a reversal of the Jamaal Adams situation, as Watson tries to run himself out of town. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've been let down, collectively, for 50 years.  So what else is new.  Let us have this hope.  

lol Seriously. I'm more convinced he'll be traded then actually end up on the Jets. 

Don't see how you sit out on getting the extra draft capital, gambling you get the same type of offer next year. Miami won't have that extra capital anymore. 

• Upvote 2

The Houston aren't doing anything for BB or anyone else for that matter. isn't 

Literally none of those points.  Zero will have ANYTHING to do with their decisions.

They're going to do what's best for the Houston Texans.  It's absurd to think otherwise.

No one cares about he conference either.  Division for sure, but not the conference.  

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

They'd have to give up on Tua, who was drafted to be their franchise QB. Seems a little premature.

But then, Watson is a superior QB. 

It's really on the jets to make this happen. It's like a reversal of the Jamaal Adams situation, as Watson tries to run himself out of town. 

Based on that logic I think the Jets would have to offer the 2, plus the Jamal Picks.  From a spite/principle perspective, that is what the Texans would need.

In any event, if Miami is going to end up with Watson, the Jets need to make that as expensive as possible for Miami.  

To me, a big question is, what is more valuable:

1. Darnold and the second pick
2. Tua and the third pick

If Houston likes Tua, they have no reason to trade with the Jets. They get the QB they like and a blue chip draft pick. Can probably draft a premier WR for Tua to grow with, giving them a blue chip QB, WR, and LT.

If Houston doesn't like Tua, they probably need to trade with the Jets. If you trade with the Dolphins you are behind two teams that are probably taking QBs. If you have a strong preference between Fields and Wilson, you cant really risk trading to three. The Jets can trade Darnold, and basically forward the return to Houston.

2 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Working Against Us:

Working For Us:

Thoughts....

For Working Against us 
E) The conflict of interest trio aka: Sam Darnold / Joe Douglas and Jimmy Sexton