Mac Jones at 23

Philc1

Killed it at the senior bowl.  Senior Bowl is a good predictor (Cutler, Wentz, Allen, Herbert) of pro success

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/platform/amp/2021/1/28/22254314/jumbo-package-saban-finishes-filling-out-his-staff-mac-jones-shines-at-senior-bowl

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Killed it at the senior bowl.  Senior Bowl is a good predictor (Cutler, Wentz, Allen, Herbert) of pro success

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/platform/amp/2021/1/28/22254314/jumbo-package-saban-finishes-filling-out-his-staff-mac-jones-shines-at-senior-bowl

I am not that opposed to this. He is a pretty good fit for the Shanahan offense. I doubt he is there at 23. If we want him we likely need to trade down from #2 and try and get him around 10 but even then he might be taken. QBs skyrocket up draft boards. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, mrcoops said:

Mac Jones looks very impressive.

His lack of experience is a concern, but his 2020 season was exceptionally good.

Looks like a guy who can be a very good pro QB - accurate, decent arm, gets the ball out quickly.

I'm curious why you would think he would be a good qb.  He's never really been tested at all.

• Upvote 1

Mac Jones goes top 10, maybe even top 5 in 2000.... he's underrated as a plug and play option. 

He won't take your broken roster to the promised land, but he's significantly underappreciated as a plug play, run your offense, and get the best out of your playmakers - QB

• Sympathy 1

Just now, rangerous said:

All seriousness, Mac Jones looks like he might not be so bad.  He’s just not worth the 2 pick and may not even stay in the first round.

He’s a fine prospect. He’s a lesser prospect than 4 other QBs in this draft. I don’t think he’ll fail but I think he has a less tools to rely upon while he learns to understand the game better.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s a fine prospect. He’s a lesser prospect than 4 other QBs in this draft. I don’t think he’ll fail but I think he has a less tools to rely upon while he learns to understand the game better.

There are some good points here. One of the dangers of drafting a lot of highly skilled players is that they rely on those skills too much and never develop the whole package.  I’d rather have a QBs that knows how play the game than one who has a rocket for an arm, especially if the guy can’t spell cat given the c and t.  And maybe Jones has great leadership skills.  These can’t be discounted.

On 1/28/2021 at 5:27 PM, Philc1 said:

We would have to trade back to #10 at least for a shot at him. He won't make it to our #23. If I'm drafting a rookie, has to be Zac Wilson, a high risk/reward pic at this given moment.

2 minutes ago, Bronx said:

We would have to trade back to #10 at least for a shot at him. He won't make it to our #23. If I'm drafting a rookie, has to be Zac Wilson, a high risk/reward pic at this given moment.

I’m seeing mock drafts having him go to the patriots at 15.  

I think if the pats don’t take him he could realistically fall to 23.  He’s not mobile, his workouts won’t be great.  His interviews are going to be good tho he’s the smartest qb in this draft class