Kyle Pitts 4.46 40 yard dash

The Dolphins sitting at 3 is really a sweet spot to be in. If we don’t draft a QB they can take Wilson/Fields or trade the pick. If we do draft a QB they have their choice of Sewell, Chase, Pitts. They just sit back and wait on us (hopefully to not **** up the pick). Which I will reserve judgment. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

The Dolphins sitting at 3 is really a sweet spot to be in. If we don’t draft a QB they can take Wilson/Fields or trade the pick. If we do draft a QB they have their choice of Sewell, Chase, Pitts. They just sit back and wait on us (hopefully to not **** up the pick). Which I will reserve judgment. 

If the Dolphins had the top pick in the draft I could see them drafting Trevor Lawrence and eventually trading Tua. After Trevor goes to Jacksonville I don't think they draft a quarterback at 3 overall. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I don't see Tua getting Rosened for Wilson or Fields.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

If the Dolphins had the top pick in the draft I could see them drafting Trevor Lawrence and eventually trading Tua. After Trevor goes to Jacksonville I don't think they draft a quarterback at 3 overall. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I don't see Tua getting Rosened for Wilson or Fields.

Hopefully that’s the case. They still can possibly benefit even more depending on what we do, which l hate to see. 

13 hours ago, New York Mick said:

That’s a pro day time not combine and there’s no chance of the Jets drafting a TE at 2. The team has too many needs. 

Not at 2 but I could see them dropping back to 8 and picking up more picks, then taking him there.  I do think he will be a pro bowl tight end in 2 yrs

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Not at 2 but I could see them dropping back to 8 and picking up more picks, then taking him there.  I do think he will be a pro bowl tight end in 2 yrs

He's not getting past this group: Miami, Atlanta, Cinci, Philly, Detroit. Any one of them would be thrilled to draft him before 8.  And one of them will.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He's not getting past this group: Miami, Atlanta, Cinci, Philly, Detroit. Any one of them would be thrilled to draft him before 8.  And one of them will.  

All those teams have many other needs.  Ive seen mocks with him going in the teens.  Guess it depends on how teams view him vs their other needs

8 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

All those teams have many other needs.  Ive seen mocks with him going in the teens.  Guess it depends on how teams view him vs their other needs

They all have dire needs, true.  Bengals will probably go for the best OT still there.  That OL may have killed their shiny new QB's career last year.  Bad look for that team.  Not unlike what happened under Maccagnan on the Jets...   young QB has no chance with terrible OL. 

But out of that collection of teams, I consider it is a done deal that he is gone.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, genot said:

Your drafting a 6'6' 245lb TE with soft hands, who's faster than a lot of wide receivers already starting in the NFL. He's unstoppable one on one. Might be the best player in the draft.

If success is all about the size-speed mismatches, then why not just draft Claypool last year? Far less investment than #2 in the whole draft? 6'4"/240, an even faster 40 time, and a very willing & capable blocker. 

But we traded down instead, "still got Mims anyway" plus bonus we got two guys who never once saw the active gameday roster on a team with bleh starters and backups and injuries at their respective positions.

Their careers aren't all set in stone already or anything, let alone after a covid-hampered rookie year with poor coaching to boot, but so far it looks like a misjudgment. Even more so if we use the #2 pick on a TE to make up for it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If success is all about the size-speed mismatches, then why not just draft Claypool last year? Far less investment than #2 in the whole draft? 6'4"/240, an even faster 40 time, and a very willing & capable blocker. 

But we traded down instead, "still got Mims anyway" plus bonus we got two guys who never once saw the active gameday roster on a team with bleh starters and backups and injuries at their respective positions.

Their careers aren't all set in stone already or anything, let alone after a covid-hampered rookie year with poor coaching to boot, but so far it looks like a misjudgment. Even more so if we use the #2 pick on a TE to make up for it. 

The issue to me is, who else makes more sense at #2. Excluding QB's. Sewell. Maybe. Other than him. Nobody else to me makes sense at #2. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, football guy said:

If the organization didn't believe in Sam Darnold they wouldn't consider it, but the thing is they do believe in him even if every fan thinks they shouldn't, and they have had and will continue to have these conversations.

So looking at it through their lens: they view the current QB as a 23-year-old with gifted traits that has the ability to be a good if not great QB once surrounded with some more talent and better coaching. By bypassing the QB and trading down from #2, they can potentially landing an all-time tight end/playmaker + additional draft capital + a future 1st round pick. If incumbent doesn't maximize potential, have the cap and draft flexibility to add a QB via FA, trade, or draft in 2022.

Is that so crazy?

Keeping Sam is a chess move.

Reaching for a QB at #2 that you are not pounding the table for seems like playing checkers.

The three best tight ends in football were taken in the third (Kelce) and fifth rounds (Kittle, Waller). Gronk was a second rounder. Hernandez went in the fourth. I will lose my sh*t if we pick a tight end at 2 with a glaring need at QB. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

It's a decent strategy but here's my thinking. It all depends on how the Jets feel about Zach Wilson. If they think he's the real deal with the right coaching, you gotta take him. There are no positions in the world more important than quarterback. They have to think that Darnold and Wilson are really close for them to considering the kicking down option. Wilson not only provides a quarterback with more potential (if they decide to pick him) but allows the rest of the team to build with more flexibility because of his contract (compared to Darnold's). If Darnold plays well, you risk of extending him to a big ass contract that he may or may not live up to. And that could hamper the team in the long run. I think we'll know after Friday what the Jets will decide.

That's the crux of the matter. 

I'm sure JD-Saleh-CS are conflicted...more so then I am...over which path to choose.  On the one hand is their belief they can still win with Darnold.  And therefore trading down for more premium picks will speed up the rebuild.  And give Darnold a more quality OL and playmakers to work with through the draft..  Or on the other hand...if they see Wilson as a special talent.  Then you would expect them to take him.  Because it's the QB position.  A special player at that position should be taken. 

Is Wilson's Pro Day going to help them...one way or the other...to make that decision?   Or are their minds pretty much made up already?

I'm impressed in how successful they've been to play this poker game close to the vest..  As Saleh might put it...

No leaks...all smoke!

• Upvote 1

Of course, Jets luck, there’s no defensive blue chip homerun prospects the year we’re going offense in the top 10. The kind of players the Jets are typically bamboozled by... (point being less talent for other teams to choose from) 

because obviously we’re gonna take Pitts. But now we have to stress about falling to us in a trade back because basically he becomes an option for everyone at 3 and down. Funny. 2? Nooo way! Cocaine gif! But at 3?; oh yea. Yea yea. Totally possible. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The three best tight ends in football were taken in the third (Kelce) and fifth rounds (Kittle, Waller). Gronk was a second rounder. Hernandez went in the fourth. I will lose my sh*t if we pick a tight end at 2 with a glaring need at QB. 

I don't see it happening. Not at 2. I really don't. 

15 hours ago, football guy said:

PHI at 6 is more possible so lets play out

Ultimately, I think Pitts goes between 6-9 whether it's to the Jets or someone else. 

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

It’s the NFL so you never know, but I can’t fathom PHI or DET.  The latter just took Hockenson in the top 10 in 2019. No way in space they take Pitts. I’m the only one with stones that big.... PHI has a top 5 TE in Goedert already and a rash of needs under new leadership. They’ve also spend a lot the last 2 years on offensive in the draft. 

someone trading up a few spots seems more likely. ATL is legit concern. Regardless Jets have to trade back. Have to...

plus Everyone behind us at 8 will know we’re gonna take him. Detroit would happily trade back with a Pitts usurper. 

12 hours ago, David Harris said:

Lol this conversation is really happening?

rhetorical question, it is but it shouldn’t be. We have the second overall pick and a question mark at QB. Give it up boys.

Would you rather have the Calvin Johnson of tight ends or a shot at Aaron Rodgers? Also a rhetorical question.

(*Note: Calvin Johnson only played in 2 playoff games in his career - lost them both but not his fault....because he didn’t have a QB).

I feel like most who want Wilson, want him for the wrong reasons. You love the idea of him... and I loathe the blind presumption of his selection this year tbh. I want nothing more than to disappoint that crowd. 

Anyway back to Pitts, Calvin Johnson is not a good parallel for your argument. Stafford was selected shortly after and that didn’t save the lions anymore than assuming Wilson will save the Jets. 

pitts>>>Wilson 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't see it happening. Not at 2. I really don't. 

Agree, the only way we take Pitts is in a trade back. But I don’t want to trade back. I’ll say it again for emphasis: Teams with a glaring QB need don’t trade out of the second pick. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Agree, the only way we take Pitts is in a trade back. But I don’t want to trade back. I’ll say it again for emphasis: Teams with a glaring QB need don’t trade out of the second pick. 

You're preaching to the choir, but I grow increasingly worried that we are actually going to see year 4 of Sam. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I feel like most who want Wilson, want him for the wrong reasons. You love the idea of him... and I loathe the blind presumption of his selection this year tbh. I want nothing more than to disappoint that crowd. 

Anyway back to Pitts, Calvin Johnson is not a good parallel for your argument. Stafford was selected shortly after and that didn’t save the lions anymore than assuming Wilson will save the Jets. 

pitts>>>Wilson 

Guilty.  I love the idea of Zach Wilson, I don't watch film like you do and if you're the poster who projected Pitts to the Jets a year ago in the draft forum and I shot you down then I was wrong.  But I do trust Chris Simm's evaluation and I want a top tier QB as the oversimplification of it being the most important position in sports is absolutely true. 

You'd really rather have Pitts over a highly rated rookie QB, you'd prefer Darnold (in a contract year) and Pitts to Zach Wilson and a 2nd round pick for Sam?  I get you're pissed at the reckless endorsements of Zach Wilson, and football guy is endorsing that keeping Sam is a real possibility and being legitimately considered by the FO, but is that what you really want?  Maybe the best TE prospect ever over a potential top QB?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

An unpopular view, but I think it's quite possible Mims (and all the "Wow, JD traded down and still got his guy, so much win!) are both in hindsight going to look much worse than many Jets Fans think.

I wasn't that impressed with Mims when he was on the field (with the caveat of Darnold, yes), and definitely wasn't impressed with how much time he spent off it.  Fans hyped the hell out of what ultimately was a barely 350 yard, 0 TD, 8 game rookie season.  Sorry, not as impressed by that as some.

He was a rookie, in a COVID season, he could still bounce back, play regularly, and not miss time in the future and show a whole lot more, no doubt.  If he's a 1,000+ yard, 8 TD+ guy in 2021, consider me duly chasted for my doubts.  But IMO he has ALOT to prove going into 2021.

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

An unpopular view, but I think it's quite possible Mims (and all the "Wow, JD traded down and still got his guy, so much win!) are both in hindsight going to look much worse than many Jets Fans think.

I wasn't that impressed with Mims when he was on the field (with the caveat of Darnold, yes), and definitely wasn't impressed with how much time he spent off it.  Fans hyped the hell out of what ultimately was a barely 350 yard, 0 TD, 8 game rookie season.  Sorry, not as impressed by that as some.

He was a rookie, in a COVID season, he could still bounce back, play regularly, and not miss time in the future and show a whole lot more, no doubt.  If he's a 1,000+ yard, 8 TD+ guy in 2021, consider me duly chasted for my doubts.  But IMO he has ALOT to prove going into 2021.

Pretty much agree with everything here, I always thought it was odd that we fall over ourselves to say what a brilliant move it was to trade back, get an extra pick and we ‘still got our guy’, and in hindsight it was, but that kind of ignores the elephant in the room that Joe Douglas wasn’t so utterly in love with him as a prospect that he wasn’t prepared to lose him for the sake of an extra draft pick...the fact he was still there is all well and good and if he turns out to be a great player for us then that will be fantastic, but we passed on him ...we didn’t love him enough to say ‘oh wow, can’t believe this guy made it to No 48...what a steal’

• Upvote 1

What keeps getting lost in this is how good Pitts can be. If you are sure he will be Ozzie Newsome then you dont risk trading back. Its what I keep saying about Jamal. If you could have lined him up all over the defense like Ronnie Lott could then you pick him in the top 5. If not then you dont. Same could be said for Pitts and it boils down to how sure JD is. I think that the other first rounder allows JD to gamble a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Guilty.  I love the idea of Zach Wilson, I don't watch film like you do and if you're the poster who projected Pitts to the Jets a year ago in the draft forum and I shot you down then I was wrong.  But I do trust Chris Simm's evaluation and I want a top tier QB as the oversimplification of it being the most important position in sports is absolutely true. 

You'd really rather have Pitts over a highly rated rookie QB, you'd prefer Darnold (in a contract year) and Pitts to Zach Wilson and a 2nd round pick for Sam?  I get you're pissed at the reckless endorsements of Zach Wilson, and football guy is endorsing that keeping Sam is a real possibility and being legitimately considered by the FO, but is that what you really want?  Maybe the best TE prospect ever over a potential top QB?

Fair question, and I appreciate the logic.

If we took Fields I would be excited in the sense you described; new leader, untainted optimism etc. I think he’s going to be a gamer. Clutch city. 

I have said since January however that I think there’s a lot “business sense” or prudence in leveraging this position we’re in at #2 to maximize our roster rebuild. You set yourself up for success by getting 5-6 first rnd picks in 2021-2022. The team will be in a better position to support a new QB, so why start the rookie contract early? There’s nothing “special” about these QBs. They’ll be more next year. The risk minimal and the reward is significant. ..not to mention in the same chance Sam rehabs, you don’t have to worry about it at all. 

Pitts is just icing. Super amazing I’ll do anything icing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

When JD sent #48 to Seattle with Mims and Claypool sitting right there, I nearly threw up.  When the Steelers took Claypool with the very next pick (49), I got the chills and went numb.  Mims dropping to 59 was just chance.  Color me less than impressed with that trade and I don't care what anyone says after the fact... that trade was mind boggling considering the team's needs at WR it was flat out dumb.

Couldnt agree more. Pure luck. Not by design. Zero credit to jd it was dumb af he loves getting picks over 100

• Upvote 1

Pitts is a nice player but he is not so far ahead of other 'weaponzz' that we or any team should go over board in pursuing him.
Trade down and take the best weapon that falls to us (Pitts, Smith, Chase)

I am ok with that logic too. But in order to trade down you need a dumbass like Mac who wants to unnecessarily trade up.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app