Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If your pup of a QB cant take being #2 hist first season, hes not your QB.  Sitting behind a starter never hurt QBs before.  All of a sudden its a detriment.  

As far as taking snaps, theres going to be 3-4 QBs in camp, doesnt make a difference if one is named Darnold or has a different name.  

I have nothing wrong with him being a back-up in year one, in fact I would prefer it.  It's another young QB that will create a QB controversy that I would like to avoid.

It's just not helpful.  I never said he can't handle it I said it's not helpful...and everything they do should be about helping him.

Bringing in a vet that knows the organizations goal is to develop this kid and while he's being paid to start he understand the big picture and that's what he signed up for.

Keeping Sam is a different situation.  If you don't see the difference in Sam from an older vet brought in for that purpose - then I don't know what to tell you. 

Lastly, yes.  Sam will be pulling coaching and reps from Zach.  Whatever Vet we bring in won't.  

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Why is it an overplay?  Why not let Darnold and Wilson go to camp? If we don’t get the compensation JD wants, then we have two bonafide starters on the team for next year.  This Darnold vs. Wilson stuff is a bit overplayed to me.  SF is keeping Garropolo;  Atlanta would keep Ryan if they drafted Lance or Jones;  why wouldn’t the Jets keep Darnold for a year.  Darnold could do worse than learning the Shanahan/LaFleur system for a year before free agency.  He’s not walking into a starting position anywhere.

Or we trade Sam when a starter gets injured during the season 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Keeping Sam is a different situation.  If you don't see the difference in Sam from an older vet brought in for that purpose - then I don't know what to tell you. 

Lastly, yes.  Sam will be pulling coaching and reps from Zach.  Whatever Vet we bring in won't.  

Yeah, try all you want its not a different situation.  Its happened before and will happen again.  Montana played with his replacement traded for.  Woodley played with his replacement sitting for a year.  Favre played with his replacement on the roster.  Just a couple of examples but theyre not hard to find.

And no, there isnt a QB alive who takes every snap in camp, you're just making shlt up when you complain that Sam would be taking reps away from whoever we draft

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Poor processing speed is what made Sanchez terrible and has ruined Darnold's early years.

If this is truly an issue, then I want no part of Fields.  We've been there and done that with both Sanchez and Darnold.  NO MORE SLOW DECISION MAKERS OUT THERE FOR JETS FANS!!!!  PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!

This is a great, great point.

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Fields is not nearly as good of a prospect as the media makes him out to be, and it's not totally his fault either. He plays in a system where the QB doesn't have much responsibilities, and there are real concerns with his processing speed

Could you elaborate on what exactly in the OSU system Fields(or any of their QBs) don't do that say a Clemson or BYU QB is asked to do? 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

For whatever it’s worth, Northwestern had the best defense in the country by FO’s stats

And it isn't because they outdude people.  I hate him, but Fitzgerald is about as gifted and defensive mind you will find at any level. 

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Could you elaborate on what exactly in the OSU system Fields(or any if their QBs) don't do that day a Clemson or BYU QB is asked to do? 

Don't the OSU receivers basically decide the routes they run? TL and Wilson can basically throw the ball to get their receivers open, seems like OSU QB's have to wait for that to happen? Just a guess.

Just now, section314 said:

Don't the OSU receivers basically decide the routes they run? TL and Wilson can basically throw the ball to get their receivers open, seems like OSU QB's have to wait for that to happen? Just a guess.

OSU offense is heavy on choice routes, that is true.  That isn't something I think is a negative though.  That can be difficult to navigate. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The Northwestern game really hurt him.

What about the Iowa game? The national championship? The point is, it's a combination of games where Fields showed he was NOT  a top QB in college. My belief is he should start playing another position.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

OSU offense is heavy on choice routes, that is true.  That isn't something I think is a negative though.  That can be difficult to navigate. 

I remember watching the BYU bowl game vs UCF, who, by the way, has a CB and S who are going to be drafted by the end of rd 3. The thing that so impressed me with Wilson was how he constantly threw his receivers open. The one TD pass right before the half when he led his guy into the end zone was incredible.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

What about the Iowa game? The national championship? The point is, it's a combination of games where Fields showed he was NOT  a top QB in college. My belief is he should start playing another position.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. Each of the top prospects have played poorly at times, even the defacto #1 pick in TL. Having watched each of TL, JF, and ZW worst games I came to the conclusion that each of these games weren't as bad as what is being said, or how it looked live. I think each has a chance to be very good. Curious to know what position you think he should play?

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

They don't ask the QB to make checks at the line, and all the reads are predetermined. The QB isn't reading the defense pre-snap; the coaches are, then the QB and players look to the sideline and is signaled what the defense is doing, what the QB should do, and what routes to run. No protection calls, very little recall required, and minimal responsibilities as it pertains to the cerebral aspect of the QB position/control at the LOS. That's why I say that it's not Fields' fault, but teams can't accurately evaluate him because they really don't know where he is developed mentally. It's not to say he's not smart either, but he just hasn't been asked to do things that NFL offenses require their QBs to do.

Fields is a really talented athlete who can very well star in the NFL if he were to land in the right spot, but he needs to be in a situation like Lamar landed in with a coach who is going to use his legs in order to keep defenses on their heals/utilize the RPO to hesitate the defense and give Fields wide-open reads. We know he can run, we know he can throw. We know he has a good head on his shoulders. That said, he hasn't been asked to be a quarterback in the traditional sense, and the fact that recent QBs who came from that system have burned out horrifically has left its mark on NFL front offices. It's entirely possible that Fields comes in and surprises everyone and picks up the NFL game quicker than people anticipate, but can you bank on that? It's up to a team to do one of two things: (1) give him an opportunity to sit, develop, and learn at his own pace; or (2) embrace the Greg Roman-style RPO offense. What he has going for him is that he's a really good kid, and given that plus his talent, someone will take a chance on him early, but it's hard to say who. 

I could see Atlanta potentially taking him if Arthur Blank wants to make it about business... Fields is a Georgia kid and a star in that state, they have a HC who has shown an ability to work with QBs and develop them, and they have an incumbent who can hold down the fort for 2-3 years if they chose to go that route. Otherwise, it's hard to pick a landing spot for him. Maybe Carolina for similar reasons, maybe New England who reportedly "loves him" and is open to implementing an RPO-driven offense? Should be fascinating to monitor. 

Isn't that what Clemson does with the sideline emojis? I honestly have no idea. 

15 minutes ago, football guy said:

They don't ask the QB to make checks at the line, and all the reads are predetermined. The QB isn't reading the defense pre-snap; the coaches are, then the QB and players look to the sideline and is signaled what the defense is doing, what the QB should do, and what routes to run. No protection calls, very little recall required, and minimal responsibilities as it pertains to the cerebral aspect of the QB position/control at the LOS. That's why I say that it's not Fields' fault, but teams can't accurately evaluate him because they really don't know where he is developed mentally. It's not to say he's not smart either, but he just hasn't been asked to do things that NFL offenses require their QBs to do.

Fields is a really talented athlete who can very well star in the NFL if he were to land in the right spot, but he needs to be in a situation like Lamar landed in with a coach who is going to use his legs in order to keep defenses on their heals/utilize the RPO to hesitate the defense and give Fields wide-open reads. We know he can run, we know he can throw. We know he has a good head on his shoulders. That said, he hasn't been asked to be a quarterback in the traditional sense, and the fact that recent QBs who came from that system have burned out horrifically has left its mark on NFL front offices. It's entirely possible that Fields comes in and surprises everyone and picks up the NFL game quicker than people anticipate, but can you bank on that? It's up to a team to do one of two things: (1) give him an opportunity to sit, develop, and learn at his own pace; or (2) embrace the Greg Roman-style RPO offense. What he has going for him is that he's a really good kid, and given that plus his talent, someone will take a chance on him early, but it's hard to say who. 

I could see Atlanta potentially taking him if Arthur Blank wants to make it about business... Fields is a Georgia kid and a star in that state, they have a HC who has shown an ability to work with QBs and develop them, and they have an incumbent who can hold down the fort for 2-3 years if they chose to go that route. Otherwise, it's hard to pick a landing spot for him. Maybe Carolina for similar reasons, maybe New England who reportedly "loves him" and is open to implementing an RPO-driven offense? Should be fascinating to monitor. 

I get Fields hasn't been asked/allowed to make checks & calls at the line, but it is my understanding that OSU does utilize option routes which is not common in college football. I don't know if Clemson & BYU do as well. Do you know (if Clemson & BYU do)?

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

Is it possible for the Falcons to trade Matt Ryan after reworking his contract recently? Just curious. I've seen a proposal where the Falcons trade their 4th overall pick in 2021, a first in 2022, and Matt Ryan to the Jets for the 2nd overall pick. 

23 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I get Fields hasn't been asked/allowed to make checks & calls at the line, but it is my understanding that OSU does utilize option routes which is not common in college football. I don't know if Clemson & BYU do as well. Do you know (if Clemson & BYU do)?

Lots of college QBs don't make presnap checks.  Iowa QBs have a lot more responsibility than most and they are only allowed to check to different run plays.  Aren't allowed to change from run to pass or vice versa.

Presnap reads are usually coming from the sidelines on most college programs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, football guy said:

I can't disagree with any of what you say here. That being said, its up to these front offices to really vet these prospects and try to project them. I can't knock a guy for not being able to do things he wasn't asked to do. And I think all rookie QBs need their "offenses" dumbed down for them (obviously some more than others). We saw this with both Sanchez and Darnold. 

At the end of the day, it is an individual choice about what a person prefers: the prospect that is more likely to be better at the end of year 1 or the prospect that is more likely to be better at the end of their third year. 

• Upvote 1

If I'm a QB with such talent as Fields has then I would Ohio state if that's how they choose to run their offense.  Its great exposure to be on a powerhouse squad but I want to be at a school where the coaches are helping me to develop into an NFL QB.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I'm not understanding the fading of Fields in the NFL compared to Wilson, Lance and Jones.  Not getting it at all.  Very strange.

Seems like this year’s order could be Trevor, Wilson, Jones, Lance, Fields.

I don’t know if that is the order they should be taken or not. But whatever order they go in I can almost guarantee it will be wrong. Looking back at 2018, a somewhat similar five quarterback draft, it shows us that despite all the money, analysis, investment of time and resources by these multi billion dollar entities, they still don’t always get it right in how they rank quarterbacks and draft them.

it will be fun and interesting to look back on this three or four years from now similar to how we look at the Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Lamar draft.

The sad part is that the Jets will be a participant in both of those events, likely the only team to do so.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, prime21 said:

If I'm a QB with such talent as Fields has then I would Ohio state if that's how they choose to run their offense.  Its great exposure to be on a powerhouse squad but I want to be at a school where the coaches are helping me to develop into an NFL QB.  

I was just thinking about this today. Imagine being a 5 star QB with dreams of playing in the NFL. Then you look at Justin Fields, another 5 star recruit who played very well at Ohio State, but you now have to deal with many criticisms that are out of your control. because of the way Ohio State runs their offense. Is that a school you want to go to? I'm not so sure. As far as being able to recruit big time QB prospects, Ohio State has some skin in the game as well tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll just be curious to see if this thread gets as many posts as the Zach Wilson Pro Day thread.  The Fields guys know this is a contest, right? 

Don't let the Zach Wilson thread go more pages than the Justin Fields thread. :P

Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIF

More importantly will Daniel Jeremiah bust a nut and tell us about it after every throw like he did at Wilson’s pro day? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

The biggest test of his season was the Clemson game, and he stood on his head.... Anyone who tries to drag him through the mud based on the natty game is taking themselves out of the conversation... He couldn't even step into his throws. 

I think processing speed concern with fields might be the most overblown concern i can recall in a while. It may not be his calling card, but we've seen multiple people come forward talk about how the OSU offense asks the QB to do things that helps cultivate this narrative

If you can win playoff games with Lamar and Allen - I think you can do just that and then some with Fields.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

SF didn’t trade all of that capital for #3 without a contingency plan.  They have to be settled on more than 1 QB. 

I don’t buy that Joe Douglas informed them of any absolutes before the pro day or medicals. 

He didn't. He confirmed it after Wilson was measured.

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

I kind of like Fields better than Wilson.. but that's just an eyeball test.  I'm surprised that Fields is not up there with Wilson, Mac Jones and Lance.  What am I missing here?

Brandt said that teams view him as an average QB surrounded by great talent. Also remember we know nothing of interviews so he might not be doing well there either. Wilson sounds like Peyton talking about footballl.

• Upvote 2