All Page 1 Zach Wilson Threads: MERGED

AFJF

11 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

There’s a long list of good QBs from small schools.

And a longer list of stat padding QB's from small schools who never made it in the NFL.

To be clear:  He could be good, as a doubter I must be honest about that.  It's not impossible, just unlikely.

If we draft him, we'll see soon enough how this undersized, small school QB transitions to legitimate competition.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And a longer list of stat padding QB's from small schools who never made it in the NFL.

To be clear:  He could be good, as a doubter I must be honest about that.  It's not impossible, just unlikely.

If we draft him, we'll see soon enough how this undersized, small school QB transition to legitimate competition.

You getting psyched for Jake vs Max in a couple? Give us a night off from this stuff.?

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans talking themselves into the greatness of a QB prospect who was on the verge of being a college backup six months ago is priceless

Please don’t start with the daily troll job. Lot’s of posters here are impacted by daily messaging lol

We don’t need to pick sides and have cute “ologist “ team nicknames before he is even drafted 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Kind of a silly post.  Both players have historic performances vs power house programs.  And sure maybe the teams they played weren’t as good as them each week but they were playing guys we are talking about in the draft forum who will be playing on Sunday. 
Honest question, did Wilson face a single player who going to be drafted?

How many players on his team will be drafted other then him??

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Kind of a silly post.  Both players have historic performances vs power house programs.  And sure maybe the teams they played weren’t as good as them each week but they were playing guys we are talking about in the draft forum who will be playing on Sunday. 

Both CB from UCF, both safeties from San Diego St, and a CB from Boise State all carry draft grades. I didn’t check DL, LB, or edge but I’m guessing that there are some there too.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Other than one of those guys dominating the SEC and the other guy getting throttled by Coastal Carolina, this would be a good comparison 

Coastal Carolina was a pretty good football team last season. Not to mention that Zach Wilson didn't get throttled.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Exactly!  It’s not talked about enough. There is no market tougher to play in than the NY market because of the media. 

You can trash Darnold and his results all you want but he couldn’t have handled himself  any better than the past 3 years especially during this past seasons disaster. Unlike Gase and Adams the past couple of years he fulfilled his media responsibilities every week. 

Just because you can handle yourself with the media, doesn’t mean sh!t if you can’t handle yourself on the field.

Just now, JiF said:

Who did Fields play that’s gonna get drafted? Greg Newsome?  Derrion Kendrick? Jayson Oweh/ Shaka Toney? Pretty sure that’s it. I can’t actually think of anyone else unless you include Alabama. Fields played those guys with 2 first round receivers, 2 high draft pick OL, and a tight end that will probably go in round 2. Fields played tougher competition but relatively it wasn’t that different to what Wilson was doing. 

Wilson faced two late round edge rushers in Coastal Carolina, Payton Turner at Houston, the Darren Hall from San Diego State is a late round guy as is Tariq Thompson. Not a murderers row but those are players. Wilson faced those guys with his 1 late round receiver and 2 late round offensive lineman. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

Just because you can handle yourself with the media, doesn’t mean sh!t if you can’t handle yourself on the field.

No sh*t. I said that. But if you can’t handle yourself in NY and in front of the NY media you won’t last long here either. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Other than one of those guys dominating the SEC and the other guy getting throttled by Coastal Carolina, this would be a good comparison 

behold the QBs of the SEC:

Heath Shuler
Tim Couch
Rex Grossman
Jason Campbell
Jay Cutler
JaMarcus Russell
Tim Tebow
Cam Newton
Johnny ManzieL

Joe Burrow 
Tua Tagovailoa 

Removing Tua and Burrow, you have 9 first-round picks, with five of them failing spectacularly. Others, such as Grossman and Cutler, may not have put together legendary careers, but they were still  NFL quarterbacks. That’s a shoddy  success rate  if you take an SEC quarterback in the first round.

All of them had “pro arms”. Most never developed “pro brains” good enough to process the NFL game.

Same thing can be concluded with Wilson. The arm is definitely there but we’ll have to see about his brain.

His success has nothing to do with the competition he went up against in college. It wasn’t his fault if they all sucked. But last year, he excelled. Take the time and watch the game film ( not just the highlights). They guy was playing at a different speed. 
Oh and by the way, he’s more talented than Sam.

25 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Both CB from UCF, both safeties from San Diego St, and a CB from Boise State all carry draft grades. I didn’t check DL, LB, or edge but I’m guessing that there are some there too.

To be fair, Robinson and Grant did not play in the bowl game.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Well, at least we've identified your evaluation problem.

Be assured, you WILL care about who he's playing against at the NFL level.

Because NFL DB's can actually cover.

The future Amazon delivery truck drivers at DB for North Alabama.....not so much.

Even a casual perusal shows that Wilsons receivers were often 3-5 or more yards open vs. their pathetic opponents DB's

That simply isn't going to happen at the NFL level.

I'd say that no QB prospect in this draft will have a biggest challenge to overcome that Wilson does going from North Alabama DB's or NFL DB's.

Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post.  Wow NFL Dbs can cover? Really?    Is he the first quarterback from a small school playing against "inferior" dbs?  I mean seriously, you gotta stop.   Of course he will need to make an adjustment, that should go with out having to be stated.  I mean I am talking to a group of seasoned football fans, at least I thought I was.   The overall point is with his arm talent and throwing NFL RECEIVERS he will be fine.    He has an NFL arm and then some, that is bottom line.  It would be good if folks could stop looking for reasons for him to fail.   Damn, you must be real fun at parties. 

• Upvote 1

The same people citing BYU's supporting cast as the reason for Wilson's success want to draft Mac Jones or Kyle Trask, whose entire supporting cast is made up of soon-to-be early draft picks.

Or they want to keep Darnold, who was the most overhyped college QB that I've ever seen. Not to dredge up the past, but I was very vocal pre-draft in 2018 that Sam was going to be a garbage player. Wilson is nowhere near as overhyped as Sam was. Not even close.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Who did Fields play that’s gonna get drafted? Greg Newsome?  Derrion Kendrick? Jayson Oweh/ Shaka Toney? Pretty sure that’s it. I can’t actually think of anyone else unless you include Alabama. Fields played those guys with 2 first round receivers, 2 high draft pick OL, and a tight end that will probably go in round 2. Fields played tougher competition but relatively it wasn’t that different to what Wilson was doing. 

Wilson faced two late round edge rushers in Coastal Carolina, Payton Turner at Houston, the Darren Hall from San Diego State is a late round guy as is Tariq Thompson. Not a murderers row but those are players. Wilson faced those guys with his 1 late round receiver and 2 late round offensive lineman. 

Right on.  Didn’t know he faced NFL talent this year.  Fields has faced much more NFL talent the you’re sharing here but it’s cool.  
This is probably the dumbest of all the dumb arguments for or against both players 

• Upvote 2

The “he played crap competition and had receivers running wild and open” is funny considering his own players were crap and Fields and Burrow were surrounded by NFL talent mostly overwhelming their opponents with talent.

And you want to see wide open receivers? 

Go watch an OSU or LSU game. 

WIDE open. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Right on.  Didn’t know he faced NFL talent this year.  Fields has faced much more NFL talent the you’re sharing here but it’s cool.  
This is probably the dumbest of all the dumb arguments for or against both players 

Oh it’s a terrible argument. If people wanna bring it up then I’ll argue stupid. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

With BYU? The game wouldn’t be watchable and you would learn literally nothing about Wilson’s ability. Now Ask yourself this, how do you think Wilson would look if he was QB on one of those teams? 

To answer my own question, I think Wilson Lawrence would be a serious debate for #1 pick. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans talking themselves into the greatness of a QB prospect who was on the verge of being a college backup six months ago is priceless

And Tom Brady was actually a backup. Multiple times.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

It would be good if folks could stop looking for reasons for him to fail.  

This is EXACTLY what we (and more importantly, JD and Co.) should be looking at. 

We have enough fluffers, homers and hype hounds as it is.