Darnold to the Panthers

43 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sounds right.  You have to trade Bridgewater now cause he would easily beat Darnold out.  

right. 

cause nobody uses that much draft capital on a QB to have him in a QB competition. 

Minshew will be trade soon too

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JN Poster 2018:  Sam is a surefire #1 pick, the generational elite QB, he's a can't miss, **** you Warfish for having any doubts about him, why do you hate everything, clearly Sam is gonna be a stud!  Anyone who disagrees, like you Warfish, you should leave the Board!

JN Poster 2019:  Sam is amazing, the best, people like Warfish who had doubts are clearly stupid assholes.  The wins will come.  If you can't wait Warfish, you should leave the Board!

JN Poster 2020:  Sam is fine, just needs time, and weapons.  Doubters like Warfish should just quit the board, stupid haters!  

JN Poster Now:  Yay, Sam is gone, best deal like ever!  Sam was the worst, we all knew it, but Wilson, HE is the real deal!  What's wrong Warfish, you probably liked Sam, stupid you, we all knew Sam sucked, lol, great WIN for the Jets to trade him away!  Why do you hate everything, you should leave the Board!

Yeah, you wonder why I have issues with some of you 'big mouthed always wrong' types? Lol.

You sad sad people, today is your big win.  The day they trade away the guy you spent three years blowing, lol.  

But sure, the problem with the Jets is me.  Cynicism causes NFL teams to lose, doncha know.

How can you call anyone else a sad person? You are literally the most sad sack of you know what I've seen on these boards. Yes the jets are an awful franchise. Yes, they failed Sam. Yes its a seemingly endless cycle. Yes they got back cents on the dollar compared to the capital they wasted to get Sam. But what the hell else do you want? They have a new guy who needs to focus on building for the future and move on. And some of us look forward to seeing if he can break the endless cycle of ineptitude

But if you feel that the Jets are forever doomed and will never get it right, then go find another hobby that fills you with joy. I will never understand how you can be so miserable and continue to follow the Jets, it doesn't seem healthy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No he was not.  

Pennington was a lot better than Favre was with the Jets, and he beat the Jets and Favre the last game of the season to win the division title, so I don't get your point.  The Favre signing was a failure.  Favre used the Jets to get to the Vikings and the Jets obliged and people lost their jobs because of it.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, genot said:

I'd feel more comfortable with Trey Lance, with the expectation that he sits behind a veteran for the year.

1AA prospect who only played 1 game this year and had a 50% comp, 149 yds passing and 1 int against Central Arkansas. No thank you. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Literally the same guy who said he was considering switching his allegiance to Washington, a team that don’t even have a f*cking name and he has the audacity to sh*t all over Jets fans for liking what most round the NFL consider a good move.

Absolutely laughable stuff. A genuine meltdown.

Can only pray switches message boards, too.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right, because Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith went on to great success elsewhere. 

The Jets front office didn't "fail" Sam Darnold.  The front office failed at talent evaluation.  Mike Maccagnan failed to pick a good QB as well as other good players.  Why is it surprising that yet another one of Macc's picks was a sucky bust?  He's the same guy who drafted Christian Hackenberg, the 2nd round pick who never played an NFL down and even sucked in the AAF.  

We will see....  Sam was thrown to the wolves.  Mahommes couldn’t win with our offense. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Very much doubt that. One, yes. Two, only if the draft falls just so. 

Expect CB + G/C/RT + TE. Order depends on who's on the board but that's what I'm expecting after a QB. But even that presumes he's not trading back further. 

If he takes a second offensive lineman, which won't surprise me, it'll be with a later pick. He didn't keep Lewis + GVR + Edoga, plus Clark from last year, plus further add Feeney, to then draft two OL picks by pick #66.

The plan it seems was to draft a QB and - unless he absolutely needs to sit - to play him sooner rather than later. Doesn't seem likely his plan was to have two rookie linemen blocking for a rookie QB. 

I don't agree with this premise. I think he kept those guys as insurance in case he can't draft the lineman he wants to draft. Just watching how JD deals with contracts I'm going to assume he'd rather not keep under performing, veteran, bloated contracts on the roster if he doesn't have to. I do think you could see 2 rookie interior lineman starting. I think they'd hope they could get 2 within the first 5 picks. 

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

1AA prospect who only played 1 game this year and had a 50% comp, 149 yds passing and 1 int against Central Arkansas. No thank you. 

He's going to be a top 5 selection. He's got tremendous upside, and good size, Your right though. He's a raw prospect. Would have to sit for a year. I wouldn't take him at #2 either.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Add Darnold to the list:

Quinton Coples

Dee Milliner

leonard williams

jamal adams

lavean bell

It would be easier to name a success.... be a shorter list.  We haven’t drafted a top player from 2009 to 2018, years..... save the last 2 as we have some real promise but jury still out.  

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Bittersweet!!!

Sam is going to kill it with Rhule, McCaffrey, Anderson.

This move was financial and to appease all the naysayers in the fan base. You can bet your ass Sam will play better than whoever we draft this year.

Just heard on the Kaye show that Cimini doesn't like the move either. Claims the Jets gave up a winning lottery ticket.

When has Cimini been right about anything? This is the guy who blasted the Jets for getting rid of players like David Harris, who went on to do.......nothing.  I get it. He liked Darnold, but he doesn't have a clue about how to build a football team.  He wouldn't know an NLF lottery ticket if it was in his pocket.

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Pennington was a lot better than Favre was with the Jets, and he beat the Jets and Favre the last game of the season to win the division title, so I don't get your point.  The Favre signing was a failure.  Favre used the Jets to get to the Vikings and the Jets obliged and people lost their jobs because of it.  

If Favre didn't get hurt the Jets might have won the SB. They were 8-3 and he had thrown 20 tds and 12 int.  They went 1-4 and he threw 2 tds and 8 int after he tore his triceps. 

• Sympathy 1

I have no ill will towards Darnold and hope he has a good career any time he is not playing the Jets. He seems like a good guy who tried and either isn't cut out for the NFL or didn't have a good opportunity here--we'll find out which is true in Carolina. 

This is a pretty good trade for somebody most here thought was worth a single third or fourth round pick. Sure, the trade favors next year's draft but these three picks are better than a single mid-round pick this year. The criticism about getting picks in the following year just doesn't land. If Douglas can flip players he doesn't want on the roster for multiple picks year over year as he has (Adams, Darnold) then the team has a long term opportunity to build through the draft which hasn't happened in more than a decade. Douglas seems capable of getting himself the opportunity to build through the draft but we'll have to see where we are at the end of the month to assess whether he can execute on that plan. 

For the rest of the month we have plenty of unanswered questions. Will Douglas draft a QB? Who? Is Watson definitely off the table now that the seat is empty? Who will be the backup QB? Will Douglas bring in a vet or run with Morgan as the #2?

54 minutes ago, jetsrule1969 said:

Where are all the clowns who said trade him for a 3rd and the bigger clowns who would do it for a 4th!!! Thank God Joe is running this team. He's a boss!!!

Mike Drop.jpg

Clowns? That's uncalled for.

I wasn't one of these people you speak of, but tbh this is in the ballpark of that trade value you're mocking, depending on the 3rd rounder we'd have gotten this year.

If a trade for a 3rd rounder this year would still have been with Carolina, then 3(9) or #73 overall in 2021 may be higher value than 2022's 2nd+4th depending on their slot. In terms of trade value, the 4th rounder just pushes the 2nd up a handful of slots, except we don't know where that original slot will be.

Figure they'll be at around pick 48 +/-10 because it's so far in advance, with the return of their best player, whether it's Darnold or Teddy starting the majority of games. The 4th rounder bumps that up to pick ~43-44 and also add another slot or two higher for the 6th rounder this year = ~#42 +/-10. Trade value equivalent to a round later this year, which is...pick 74. Carolina's 3rd rounder this year is pick 73. Split hairs if you want in guessing where they'll pick next year but I picked a median number. The difference is insignificant.

Maybe next year the two together will be the equivalent of pick 63; maybe pick 85; regardless, it's in the same ballpark as Carolina's 3rd rounder this year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It would be easier to name a success.... be a shorter list.  We haven’t drafted a top player from 2009 to 2018, years..... save the last 2 as we have some real promise but jury still out.  

That was the list of players i bought a jersey for. Wait! I forgot kyle wilson, but maybe I can recycle that one.

thank god i got them cheap.

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I will root for Sam harder than I ever have for a former player.  Go kill it kid.  Shame it didn’t work out here.

Problem is, without Mccaffrey, thier roster on offense isn't any better than ours, after losing Samuel. They got Elffein as the starter at LG. He's a turnstyle. Hope they add some good pieces to that offense.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Fair enough. And I agree and I look for JD to definitely grab a CB and a G/C/T at the least with 23/34/66.  Was watching NFL network and one analyst was raving about the talent at WR in this draft. The Penn State TE would be nice to have as well. ? There’s a surplus of talent on the OL. JD could go CB/  G-T-C/ TE -WR then grab another OL in round 3. GVR, Edoga, Lewis are perennial backups. We could get a steal in round 3 at OL. 

Too early to tell what anyone is or what they'll do. I've seen lower-ranked talents than Edoga become starters as something just wakes up. No I don't expect it, nor do I expect him to get a major look at anything more than being Fant's backup (if he even makes it past the final roster cutdowns). 

Lewis is the frontrunner to land one of the starting guard spots. He's the highest paid guard on the team by a comfortable margin. If the Jets truly expected him to be the backup then Lewis would have been cut already.

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Bittersweet!!!

Sam is going to kill it with Rhule, McCaffrey, Anderson.

This move was financial and to appease all the naysayers in the fan base. You can bet your ass Sam will play better than whoever we draft this year.

Just heard on the Kaye show that Cimini doesn't like the move either. Claims the Jets gave up a winning lottery ticket.

Darnold may end up killing it in Carolina, and I do expect him to be an above average starting QB there, but who actually cares what Cimini the hack has got to say?

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If Favre didn't get hurt the Jets might have won the SB. They were 8-3 and he had thrown 20 tds and 12 int.  They went 1-4 and he threw 2 tds and 8 int after he tore his triceps. 

I'm not reliving this or debating this again. Favre wouldn't sit when/if he got hurt so he could keep his beloved streak alive, and other than good games against NE, Tenn, and Ariz, he stunk.  Pennington outplayed him and it's not even close. And why didn't Favre stay another season or two?  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I am 1000000% in favor of this.

The teams offensive talent is low.  He is moving to the NY area.   He is learning a new offense.  Maybe, just maybe they should bring him along a little bit slowly so he doesn't get over whelmed and crushed.

Also going from playing against bottom tier college defenses to NFL defenses. Its tough enough for rookie QBs to get thrown out there week 1, even when they have a history of playing against elite college talent. This kid is looking at a massive leap in terms of what he's playing against.

• Upvote 1