Running back...

I know it tends to be a back burner subject, but with a young QB we are going to have to run the ball very well to give him a chance. Coleman was an oft-injured complimentary back in his prime...so i expect a that at best here. The other guys on the roster...i wouldn’t go into the season relying on.

anyone left in FA? Sounds like no one worthwhile.

draft? I am a big Harris fan, but understand not drafting a RB early. One of the NC dudes?

feels like we need a difference making back thats not here right now.

Just now, slats said:

This system makes stars out of nobodies. Watch Ty Johnson rush for 1000 this season. It’s both crazy and well within the realm of possibility. 

Maybe maybe not...but this type of thinking is the thing that got us into shipping darnold out of town. We need at least 1 sure thing at RB?

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

This!!!  The scheme makes the RB, SF had Breida, Mostert and Coleman (no names) and went to the SB

I know the 49ers did it, but most of the other people who run the same system have name backs...so i dont know how much of a rule this is.

A top level offensive line can't make a bad QB good, but it can turn a mediocre RB into a pro-bowler. Let's finally get this wall built and then we can start loading up on skill position players. We have enough picks to both build a wall, and fill in some holes. I am not mad at all if two of the first three picks are OL.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

A top level offensive line can't make a bad QB good, but it can turn a mediocre RB into a pro-bowler. Let's finally get this wall built and then we can start loading up on skill position players. We have enough picks to both build a wall, and fill in some holes. I am not mad at all if two of the first three picks are OL.

Many times when qbs have time in the pocket they can work wonders and pick defenses apart

I'm surprised how many people there are who don't seem to know about how the Shanahan system makes RB's. The system is very well proven and we really shouldn't be spending high draft picks on a RB.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700461-how-does-mike-shanahan-always-churn-out-rb-success

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2020/1/22/21077312/kyle-mike-shanahan-zone-blocking-raheem-mostert-running-backs

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2014/07/09/kyle-shanahans-history-running-back-use/

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Walls work.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

i wouldn't be upset it we had Johnson and Adams as our 2 RBs. there ypc was really good in the little amount Gase played them

I would not sleep on Coleman either.  His biggest issue has been health.  He looked decent in limited action and know this style of offense.  he also is a very good receiver out of the back field and has not lost any of his speed.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Far more of a rule that top CBs are only found in the first two rounds (and overwhelmingly round 1 at that) than RBs. 

I was looking it up the other day at the last 3 seasons' all pro and pro bowl CBs -- there were 14 different players.  12 of the 14 were 1st & 2nd round picks (mostly 1st round at that). The only two exceptions entered the league back in 2011 (Sherman and Harris Jr).

In today's league, a high draft pick RB is a finishing touch, not a building block. Really, how often does a team use a 1st round pick on a RB and then go on to win the SB with that back? Hardly ever, and only once in the last 14 seasons.

Here are the last three:

1. 2018 Patriots* with Sony Michel (and they were kind of winning SBs without him)
  2. 2006 Indy with Joseph Addai
  3. 2000 Baltimore with Jamal Lewis

Winning teams (if not SB-winning teams) can do RBBC with non-omg RBs and keep them fresh by rotating them. Rarely is a SB winner all about one Superman RB the team drafted in round 1. 

• Tampa was loaded everywhere, so it's hard to use them as an example by just pointing to a RB. Anyway Jacksonville not Tampa is the one who drafted Fournette early in their rebuild process; a lot of good it did them.
  • 49ers and Chiefs both from 2019: SF was minutes away from winning a SB with nobodies...against KC, who themselves paired an undrafted 3rd down back with a has-been in his 30s who'd averaged 3.2ypc the prior season. 
  • Eagles 2017: Blount (FA/undrafted), Clement, and Ajayi -- I think the highest-drafted among them was Ajayi in round 5
  • Patriots* in 2016: Blount, White, & Lewis. Again, no day 1 or day 2 draft picks.
  • Denver in 2015: Hillman (round 3) and CJ Anderson (undrafted)
  • Patriots* in 2014: Blount, Vereen (3rd down back, drafted in late round 2), Ridley (round 3), Gray (undrafted)
  • Seattle 2013: Lynch was a 1st round pick, but not by the Seahawks, who used a 4th round pick to get him in a trade (on top of finding their FQB in round 3), allowing them to devote their high picks to other positions. Lynch is probably the most recent Superman-type RB of whom you could truly say without him there's no Super Bowl for his team.

I stopped here. Keep going back if you like, but I think you get the point: burning a 1st round pick on some Superman super-stud RB is not the way to get to the Super Bowl. It's disproportionately the exception not the rule. 

i love your posts. 

you did alot of research for this. to back up your opinions with facts. very good read, thanks

i think 23 is a CB. its a huge need. i dont think anybody wants to go into the season with Hall Austin and Guidry as the top 3 guys. plus the biggest reason is he didnt touch CB at all in FA. unless you wanna count resigning Guidry.

alot of guys here arent going to want to here this but JD sign 2 guys for the OL. im sure he didnt sign them if he thought they suck. with that said i dont think JD thinks the #1 need is the line. probably he will get one with 34

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, doitny said:

i love your posts. 

you did alot of research for this. to back up your opinions with facts. very good read, thanks

i think 23 is a CB. its a huge need. i dont think anybody wants to go into the season with Hall Austin and Guidry as the top 3 guys. plus the biggest reason is he didnt touch CB at all in FA. unless you wanna count resigning Guidry.

alot of guys here arent going to want to here this but JD sign 2 guys for the OL. im sure he didnt sign them if he thought they suck. with that said i dont think JD thinks the #1 need is the line. probably he will get one with 34

I agree 1000% on taking RBs early, especially in the system they're gonna be running, but I wonder how much of a priority they're putting on CB in the draft. Seems to me that there are still a few decent or better CBs out there in free agency, while the OL cupboard is essentially bare. First round is gonna be your best shot at an elite Edge, too, which JD and Saleh obviously focused on in free agency, but you have to wonder if they're done there. I think Saleh can make the CBs work provided he has a consistent pass rush. 

• Upvote 1

If Etienne falls to our 2nd round pick, take him. Otherwise get someone like Gainwell in the 3rd.

While the system is friendly on one cut and go RBs, having a high end one cut and go RB would be in even better. Especially one that can explode for a 70 yard TD.

A strong running game will go a long way in helping Zach transition to the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1