My thoughts on the Jets draft

Maxman

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 - qb zach wilson

23 - OT tevin jenkins

34 - wr terrence marshall

66 - rb kenneth gainwell

86 - te tommy tremble

I understand why people want noting but offence with our premium picks but on the flip side of that if our defence is terrible we are playing from behind every week and putting our rookie QB in a situation where he has to force balls to make things happen and obvious passing situations, we don't want that to happen early in his carrier.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Travis Etienne is the RB I wanted on this team for a long time. 

I understand it's a luxury position and many feel the pick could be used better elsewhere or traded. 

But I think there's a chance at #23 he is the pick which will only immediately improve this offense in the passing and running game. 

The NFL is about scoring points and winning. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, adobolo2 said:

I understand why people want noting but offence with our premium picks but on the flip side of that if our defence is terrible we are playing from behind every week and putting our rookie QB in a situation where he has to force balls to make things happen and obvious passing situations, we don't want that to happen early in his carrier.

u cant fail our rookie qb like sam was failed-i would argue the entire draft jets should go offense only-get wilson a playmaker with the second pick-pipe dream is trade up and grab pitts but realistically grab the top rb available at 23 then with the 3rd pick best online guy on the board, 4th pick best wr on the board, 5th pick best oline guy on the board

worry about defense in next years draft and free agency

if wilson fails joe fails 

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

u cant fail our rookie qb like sam was failed-i would argue the entire draft jets should go offense only-get wilson a playmaker with the second pick-pipe dream is trade up and grab pitts but realistically grab the top rb available at 23 then with the 3rd pick best online guy on the board, 4th pick best wr on the board, 5th pick best oline guy on the board

How is it failing him by giving him a good team on both sides of the ball, last year we were blown out game after game and Sam was trying and failing to make things happen, when the defense eventually showed up against the Rams Sam played a steady and decent game where he was productive and we won. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I agree that JD needs to put the player grades to the side somewhat and overdraft offense.  He can make up for it by signing Steven Nelson to play CB.

If he actually picked offense with his draft 4 picks or so, and then found CBs, and LBs with his next 4 picks, and then a kicker, and could also work.

But the offense needs a big boost here, and that is also where cap savings can come.  He can cut Lewis, Van Roten and Crowder, saving an enormous amount of money, if he found their replacements in the draft.   There is no one to replace on defense like that.  

55 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Hell everyone else does it so I might as well.

#2 overall. Zach Wilson. This isn't even close imo. The coaching staff has the perfect system for him. The receivers are big and his down field accuracy will come in handy with receivers like this. They are going to stretch the field a bit.

#23 -  think this pick is going to get traded.  Maybe they love a player here but I see Douglas turning this pick into two players.

Other than that get a Guard and Cornerback in here with the next two picks and let's have some fun!

Personally I love the thought of Travis Ettiene at 23. But I don't see them doing it. Running backs seem to be more plug and play in this system. But i'd be fore Travis, he is explosive and can catch as well. Would be a great weapon for a rookie QB to have.

Are you just trying to put a nail in the coffin prior to surgery or what lol. Honestly though, we have the right receivers to pair with him. As much as I'm nervous about the Jets offensive line/ability to protect a rookie QB, I'm really excited for Wilson-to-Mims. I have a feeling those two are going to establish quite the connection. 

If the Jets do trade down from #23, the Chiefs are the team that many people think will look to move up for an OL. I think the Jets can trade down, but I only see them doing it if the guys they want there are gone. I feel a lot more confident in them moving down from 34. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Travis Etienne is the RB I wanted on this team for a long time. 

I understand it's a luxury position and many feel the pick could be used better elsewhere or traded. 

But I think there's a chance at #23 he is the pick which will only immediately improve this offense in the passing and running game. 

The NFL is about scoring points and winning. 

I have to say that I agree with this. The main reason is many "Experts", which I am not, think Etienne is most comparable to Alvin Kamara. So that makes me think, would I have traded that safety we used to have for Alvin Kamara and an additional first round pick, I most definitely would. If it is true that OL is deep this year, as is WR,, why not take our second first round pick and choose as close to a sure thing on offense as possible. We will see in a few weeks what JD thinks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Hell everyone else does it so I might as well.

#2 overall. Zach Wilson. This isn't even close imo. The coaching staff has the perfect system for him. The receivers are big and his down field accuracy will come in handy with receivers like this. They are going to stretch the field a bit.

#23 -  think this pick is going to get traded.  Maybe they love a player here but I see Douglas turning this pick into two players.

Other than that get a Guard and Cornerback in here with the next two picks and let's have some fun!

Personally I love the thought of Travis Ettiene at 23. But I don't see them doing it. Running backs seem to be more plug and play in this system. But i'd be fore Travis, he is explosive and can catch as well. Would be a great weapon for a rookie QB to have.

#2 has been a conversation vacuum, but the real intrigue now lies at #23... I don't think there's "an easy" pick there... I'm going to speculate the OT they want will be gone... the sweet spot for IOL and CB is in rounds 2/3 (the separation of talent isn't significant between the DBs in rnd 1 and in round 2.... even round 3 a degree as well. 

They have trade back, unless they fall in love with a LB or WR, but both are luxury picks for us/value. 

Gun to head - LSU's Terrace Marshall Jr (WR) or their top rated Pass Rusher/DE

Not just playing from behind, but also playing with poor field position a lot of the time. A competent defense can be beneficial to a young QB in a number of ways. I'm certainly not going to freak out if we draft defense early (though hopefully not more than once). In fact I'd be surprised if we don't.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think it is very likely that JD moves up from 23. If reports are true, he would have been willing to package Darnold and a pick to move up.  He can't package Darnold any more, but he can move the 2 they got for him last week and maybe get into the mid teens, if soemone he likes drops.  Then I can see him turning 34 into two picks, especially if he gets a guy he targeted by moving up from 23.

I am HIGHLY against the trade up option from 23. Watching it unfold in the mock draft with all the great players that have been taken in rounds 2 and 3 with the Jets not having the picks to really rebuild their roster has really cemented it for me. 

We have to build a legitimate oline before getting cute:

2. Obviously has to be ZW at this point

23. Jenkins or Vera Tucker

34. Wyatt Davis or Humphrey

then take BPA value players at RB, WR, TE, LB, EDGE and CB after that as they drop

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Not just playing from behind, but also playing with poor field position a lot of the time. A competent defense can be beneficial to a young QB in a number of ways. I'm certainly not going to freak out if we draft defense early (though hopefully not more than once). In fact I'd be surprised if we don't.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'm not going to freak out with any player we draft, we should take the best player available to us except defensive tackle or a safety. I believe Joe thinks highly of our o line as is but will pick players to improve it, our wide receivers have improved greatly with the addition of the two free agents and if we select one early it may mean the end of crowder for cap purpose so that will not be beneficial Thai year, our pass rush is looking good with curry and Lawson added to it. We have arguably the worst corner back group in the NFL right now and our line backers need a lot of work. 

• Upvote 1

This off season doesn't end with the draft. Positions we don't fill in the draft will become supplemented in trades or cuts from other teams, depending on what holes they've filled. So maybe one position or two might be addressed by trading a low level pick before or after training camp for viable vets that might be shaking loose on other teams, due to their drafting cheaper replacements or changes in schemes.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

I am HIGHLY against the trade up option from 23. Watching it unfold in the mock draft with all the great players that have been taken in rounds 2 and 3 with the Jets not having the picks to really rebuild their roster has really cemented it for me. 

then take BPA value players at RB, WR, TE, LB, EDGE and CB after that as they drop

Bingo.

2 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

I've wavered on this, but am now in the same boat as you, on basically not wanting to trade up.

Where it gets a little tricky if is Jenkins and Vera Tucker are off the board at 23, which is 70:30 likely. What is our contingency plan then? 'Reach' a little for Humphrey or Davis, or a more talented defensive player? 

At that point, I'm looking to trade down and take the IOL, but it takes two to tango, and we need anotehr team to move up. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I agree that JD needs to put the player grades to the side somewhat and overdraft offense.  He can make up for it by signing Steven Nelson to play CB.

If he actually picked offense with his draft 4 picks or so, and then found CBs, and LBs with his next 4 picks, and then a kicker, and could also work.

But the offense needs a big boost here, and that is also where cap savings can come.  He can cut Lewis, Van Roten and Crowder, saving an enormous amount of money, if he found their replacements in the draft.   There is no one to replace on defense like that.  

Agreed. Listen, I won't be mad if JD took a defensive pick in the first 4, but I won't be crying if he went O all 4 picks either. We know the O needs heavy investment. The switch to a 4-3 also needs pieces, but honestly not as many. Do they need a #1 CB sure, but the guys we have can be good enough for zone, but lacking in depth. Signing someone post draft like Nelson can be big if they can't address it. 

Jets also need LBs. I still wont mind punting that until the 4-5th round too. Get some depth and see what Mosely and Davis can do as patch work for now. Again, I wont cry if they take a Werner or Cox, etc. earlier than that either.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who thinks they're not going to focus on the OL during day one and two hasn't been paying attention. Douglas has clearly said he thinks the keys to a team are the QB and the trenches (OL and DL). He attacked the DL extra hard during free agency. He's drafting a QB #2. What the hell do you think he's going to focus on after that? Expect two offensive linemen to be drafted in rounds 1-3, and at least three OL for the draft overall. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I would love to pump all three top picks into offense but I'd be okay with this too.

#2 QB

#23 CB/EDGE

#34 IOL

Round 3+ its hard to gauge whats available but hopefully some good WR/OL prospects stick around since its a deep class

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, adobolo2 said:

It's a 53 man roster.  And it needs to have some balance to it.  And our new HC NYJ comes from the defensive side.  Ya gotta throw him some bones on defense in this upcoming draft.

I've been drafting in my mock simulations at least one each of  CB-Edge-LB.  Then maybe go BPA for an additional CB as best I can.  Like this one I just now finished and will post in the draft section... 

image.png

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JazzyJet said:

I am not usually a trade up guy but with 5 QBs almost definitely going in the Top 10., it will push down elite players within striking distance of 23  and allows the Jets to get a Top 5 player possibly on their board. There are realistic scenarios where some of the elite players drop pretty far, so I can see it happening.

In terms of draft

2- Wilson

23- No CB here. OG or OT or trade up

34 OL RB WR or TE

Third round OL RB WR TE CB or LB