The difference between Saleh and Bellichick.....

NYJ1

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

What does this mean?

A lot of stupid sh*t gets said around here, including thinking there's anything noteworthy about the fact that our HC doesn't look like a 6 time super bowl winning coach who will likely be widely considered the greatest ever, in his first game.

But, for years - as long as I've posted here - people say we've "come out flat" and "been unprepared."  It's one of JN's dumbest memes.  Jet Nation rarely, if ever, accepts that we lost a game on merit, we simply "weren't ready to play."

So far as I can tell... It doesn't actually mean anything.  It's just words.

We are a bad football team.  The Panthers are better than us.  They have better players.  That's why we lost.  Not because of made up nonsense.

That's certainly part of it. There is a talent gap between the Jets and just about every team in the NFL.

50 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

First of all, I must admit how hard it is for me to be saying this. My hope is this thread sheds light on Saleh and what he needs to be a better HC. Also, some may feel this is premature or unfair of me to say. If so, my hope is our HC can prove my criticisms untrue.

Everyone saw what this young Jets team had to offer last Sunday. It wasn't much. Honestly, it looked like many of the positional groups, especially OL, had not ever worked together. It was obvious to me as I was watching that most of the OL has no idea what their responsibilities were? There were so many times where rushers came in unblocked. It appeared as though nobody had ever told them, " This is your job. These are your responsibilities".

Meanwhile, the patsies have a lot of new faces on their roster and while most of them are experienced veterans, the one thing that was abundantly clear to me while I was watching the patsies lose to the Dolphins, was how much more ready they were to play than the Jets.

This is what I see as the big difference Saleh and Bellichick.

You can rest assured on Sunday the patsies will be ready to play, rookie and all. The Jets are a sloppy, raw, unfinished mess and who knows when they will actually get their act together? Will they EVER get their act together with this current compliment of players? 

Saleh and the coaching staff could put so much more focus on strategizing to beat teams if only the players had a clear, concise laid out job descriptions.

Now, sure some of this definitely had to do with what little time this new group had to work together. Becton and AVT were both injured during TC and never got the opportunity to work together extensively. But even still when BB is faced with the same problem the transition is always much smoother.......

I watched the game also and they did look composed and efficient. BB is a super bowl winning coach who is not trying to coach the youngest team in the league. I don’t think it’s even a fair comparison at this point. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

What does this mean?

A lot of stupid sh*t gets said around here, including thinking there's anything noteworthy about the fact that our HC doesn't look like a 6 time super bowl winning coach who will likely be widely considered the greatest ever, in his first game.

But, for years - as long as I've posted here - people say we've "come out flat" and "been unprepared."  It's one of JN's dumbest memes.  Jet Nation rarely, if ever, accepts that we lost a game on merit, we simply "weren't ready to play."

We are a bad football team.  The Panthers are better than us.  They have better players.  That's why we lost.  Not because of made up nonsense.

Last Sunday, prior to our game, I stood in front of my bedroom mirror (fully clothed lest some would suggest otherwise) and said these words: "Although I wish Sam Darnold would skip happily into a large, industrial threshing machine, I believe our team sucks and will, most likely, lose today.  So, I will go into the kitchen, start cooking, open a nice Bordeaux , and just accept it."  Surprisingly, I was not that pissed off when my mantra came true.  We're not that good all around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

That's certainly part of it. There is a talent gap between the Jets and just about every team in the NFL.

Yes.  It's why we're bad.

What I don't understand is why, and I'll just go to recent history, it's all Todd Bowles fault, it's all Adam Gase's fault, and now, after one week, it's Robert Saleh (and in another thread, Mike LaFleur's) fault.

It's been Schotty's fault, it's been Herm's fault, it's been Hackett's fault, it's been Rex's fault, it's been Heimerdinger's fault, and so and and so forth.

A million offensive coordinators and coaches and the exact same outcome, and still people want to blame the guys who don't touch the field.

We suck.  We suck because we don't draft well.  If this weren't true, our bad players would be going on to play well elsewhere.  That doesn't happen.  We have, what, 3 players left from the Maccagnan era?  That should be the core of our team.  Douglas's first draft isn't seeing the field either.

The coach doesn't matter right now.  We have very few NFL football players.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

23 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

What does this mean?

It’s fair to say the oline was not prepared to play. Don’t recall the Jets ever missing that many blocking assignments.

Saleh doesn’t strike me as stubborn so I believe he is taking this in and will adjust moving forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Well Saul, if it isn't Saleh and the CS that is to blame for not having the Jets prepared to play on Sunday, then who is? Is it Joe Douglas? Is it Woody Johnson? Maybe it's the Easter Bunny? 

it is 100% the CS fault for not having them ready to play on Sunday. And I'm not being a prick about this, just saying there's a lot of room for improvement. That's fair.

There is a difference between fault and responsibility. 

The coaches (and franchise) have chosen a route that maximizes player development at the expense of maximizing wins.  So JD and the coaches built a roster that they hope develops over time rather than bring aged or journeyman veterans who would show better in game 1 but cannot contribute to a better Jet future.

You might disagree with the philosophy, but that doesn't make the franchise wrong.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

First of all, I must admit how hard it is for me to be saying this. My hope is this thread sheds light on Saleh and what he needs to be a better HC. Also, some may feel this is premature or unfair of me to say. If so, my hope is our HC can prove my criticisms untrue.

Everyone saw what this young Jets team had to offer last Sunday. It wasn't much. Honestly, it looked like many of the positional groups, especially OL, had not ever worked together. It was obvious to me as I was watching that most of the OL has no idea what their responsibilities were? There were so many times where rushers came in unblocked. It appeared as though nobody had ever told them, " This is your job. These are your responsibilities".

Meanwhile, the patsies have a lot of new faces on their roster and while most of them are experienced veterans, the one thing that was abundantly clear to me while I was watching the patsies lose to the Dolphins, was how much more ready they were to play than the Jets.

You can rest assured on Sunday the patsies will be ready to play, rookie and all. The Jets are a sloppy, raw, unfinished mess and who knows when they will actually get their act together? Will they EVER get their act together with this current compliment of players? 

Saleh and the coaching staff could put so much more focus on strategizing to beat teams if only the players had a clear, concise laid out job descriptions.

Now, sure some of this definitely had to do with what little time this new group had to work together. Becton and AVT were both injured during TC and never got the opportunity to work together extensively. But even still when BB is faced with the same problem the transition is always much smoother.......

So please tell us what did they miss in the team meetings that you attended. I'm very interested.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

Yes.  It's why we're bad.
What I don't understand is why, and I'll just go to recent history, it's all Todd Bowles fault, it's all Adam Gase's fault, and now, after one week, it's Robert Saleh (and in another thread, Mike LaFleur's) fault.
It's been Schotty's fault, it's been Herm's fault, it's been Hackett's fault, it's been Rex's fault, it's been Heimerdinger's fault, and so and and so forth.
A million offensive coordinators and coaches and the exact same outcome, and still people want to blame the guys who don't touch the field.
We suck.  We suck because we don't draft well.  If this weren't true, our bad players would be going on to play well elsewhere.  That doesn't happen.  We have, what, 3 players left from the Maccagnan era?  That should be the core of our team.  Douglas's first draft isn't seeing the field either.
The coach doesn't matter right now.  We have very few NFL football players.
Obviously, you're speaking to the wrong person. I'm not one of those HC blamers. If you have read my posts of the past you'd know I've been the first to defend Bowles and Rex. Not Gase for obvious reasons, but the other two I have defended saying if they had more talent they would have won more. I've been blaming Poor drafting for years. I've called Tanny, Idzik, and Mac everything but white men for their piss poor drafting.

I'm not saying anything about Douglas specifically because I believe the Jets have finally hired a winner. I believe in JD. We'll just have to see how well he does developing this team's talent base, but I already think he's on the right path.

I also think after this offseason that talent gap is NOT as wide as it's typically been. I think they have should have played better last Sunday. I knew they'd lose I just thought they would look a lot better than they did. It was kind of shocking how bad they were. JMO

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

The Oline play was an effing disgrace. I dont want to hear about AVT missing preseason, it's just an excuse. The entire Oline was bad, not just him. They missed blocking assignments against a 4 man defensive line. Multiple times a defensive end was untouched/unblocked with a straight path towards the QB. Stop making excuses. Wilson was 10 lbs away from having a concussion. Think about that. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barton said:

The Oline play was an effing disgrace. I dont want to hear about AVT missing preseason, it's just an excuse. The entire Oline was bad, not just him. They missed blocking assignments against a 4 man defensive line. Multiple times a defensive end was untouched/unblocked with a straight path towards the QB. Stop making excuses. Wilson was 10 lbs away from having a concussion. Think about that. 

Please explain the 10 lbs reference, I don’t understand it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flightattendant said:

You want to hear something the two have in common?

They both lost their first game.

Interestingly, they both lost their first game (with their current teams) by 5 points to an NFC South team. And they each had their QB get sacked 6 times.

Spooky ... ;-)  

Even more spooky ... the Week 2 fixture that year was Pats @ Jets.   

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Interestingly, they both lost their first game (with their current teams) by 5 points to an NFC South team. And they each had their QB get sacked 6 times.

Spooky ... ;-)  

So convince someone to sign Mo Lewis, start Mike White and hope for a miracle?

13 minutes ago, Barton said:

If the Dlineman who fell on Wilson was another 10lbs heavier, Wilson probably has a concussion. Instead he just layed their motionless for 2-3 seconds.

It was a joke. 

Got it, thanks.  I was having a brain fart and it didn’t sink in.

57 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, I dont have much to add that hasnt been said but I was going to bring up the tape piece.  For a unit that hasnt played together and learning a new system, getting live reps on tape is huge.  It's week 1, everyone always overreacts to week 1.  Every year week 1 proves that you can not derive anything from it but every year, it happens.  They'll get better.

That said, it might be next week.  lol  BB isnt exactly the ideal "get right" match up.  He's going to confuse them and give them all sorts of looks but it will be another good test to put on tape and improve.  Which they will. 

True that.  This is when we need to have the alumni pay some Div 2 school a million dollars to get their ass kicked.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

One is going to have the league championship trophy renamed after him.

I had never considered that and now I know it will happen with certainty and everyone will cheer when the *gag* Beli~yarch~puke~chek Trophy is won by the Jets the year they name it that.  So we never get a(nother) Lombardi, just a Beli...

One thing I will say about Saleh is he definitely went into this job with a positive mindset where he expected everyone to be "all gas, no brake" and I think that's the right way to start any position. But with training camp becoming so much shorter you have to identify the guys dogging it faster (and even more so in the predraft process).

There's way less facetime with players now. Less practice, less time at the facility. It's cliche but self-starters are a must. Mims is falling into this category me thinks. The Jets have failed to identify these guys in the draft process and this spans across the last three GM's including Douglas last year.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

You wonder when the Jets will get their act together? I wondering when people on this board will get their takes together. Good lord, Some of yall need some Mary Jane. 

• Haha 1

I’m shoehorning this question here because it’s an active thread with our coach mentioned.

How do you pronounce Saleh again?  I thought I had it this spring and now watched a video and am confused again.  I think/though it it was Sal-uh(2nd syllable rhymes with/sound like up).

Then I just heard a video that said Sal-aaaaay(rhymes with day).

Which is it?  I can’t be sounding like some country bumpkin Iowa rube if I have to start swearing at the tv later this season.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’m shoehorning this question here because it’s an active thread with our coach mentioned.

How do you pronounce Saleh again?  I thought I had it this spring and now watched a video and am confused again.  I think/though it it was Sal-uh(2nd syllable rhymes with/sound like up).

Then I just heard a video that said Sal-aaaaay(rhymes with day).

Which is it?  I can’t be sounding like some country bumpkin Iowa rube if I have to start swearing at the tv later this season.

Most of the time I just refer to the Jets coach as mother****er.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1