Driver, 22, who veered into bike lane and struck NFL coach Greg Knapp won't be charged in his death

TokyoJetsFan

The driver who veered into a bike lane and hit NFL coach Greg Knapp, who died five days later, won't be charged in his death because there's not enough evidence of negligence, prosecutors say.

The San Ramon Police Department confirmed that the Contra Costa County District Attorney declined to charge the 22-year-old driver on Thursday. His name isn't being released as a matter of 'privacy.'

....would think veering into a bike lane and killing someone would be considered negligence.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10027141/Driver-22-veered-bike-lane-hit-NFL-coach-Greg-Knap-not-charged-death.html

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

Young people looking at their phones while driving is an epidemic in itself

Not just young people. Here in Texas, pretty much everyone seems to text and drive. It's unbelievable. You can sense it by how far a gap they leave between their car and the car in front. It's so frustrating. Not only are they putting other people in danger, they are also causing unnecessary traffic. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s a tragedy all around. This young person will have to deal with the fact that he accidentally killed someone for the rest of his life. What positive result can come from incarcerating the kid? It certainly won’t bring anyone back. 

I agree that probably wouldn't accomplish anything. Taking away his driver's license for some time may impress upon him, the great responsibility operating a motor vehicle is. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

The driver who veered into a bike lane and hit NFL coach Greg Knapp, who died five days later, won't be charged in his death because there's not enough evidence of negligence, prosecutors say.

The San Ramon Police Department confirmed that the Contra Costa County District Attorney declined to charge the 22-year-old driver on Thursday. His name isn't being released as a matter of 'privacy.'

....would think veering into a bike lane and killing someone would be considered negligence.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10027141/Driver-22-veered-bike-lane-hit-NFL-coach-Greg-Knap-not-charged-death.html

Nope, the perma-banned DWC felt it was the cyclist's fault for riding his bike on the road where it's allowed. 

Shame, as this will continue ad nauseum as long as they are deemed "accidents."

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s a tragedy all around. This young person will have to deal with the fact that he accidentally killed someone for the rest of his life. What positive result can come from incarcerating the kid? It certainly won’t bring anyone back. 

some people just want to throw people in jail no matter what

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

If your car is hitting someone in the bike lane that is not a tragic no fault accident.
Seems like you were there .... evidently the judge thought differently.

I live in a town where cyclists are dangerously oblivious to traffic.... not saying this was the case with Greg at all ... im just saying there are many ways in which this very well could have ben an accident.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

This.

I am surprised by the lack of sympathy for the kid too.  We have all, ALL, had a momentary lapse in judgement behind the wheel.

A brain fart where you cut somebody off badly.  Turned a stale yellow into an early red.   Changing lanes while not seeing someone in the blind spot only to have a horn snap you back.  Not seeing a motorcycle in the midst of traffic.    A pedestrian in the dark without a light.  Maybe drove over the legal alcohol limit a time or two?

We have all, ALL, had a close call with disaster.   

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Its an absolute tragedy and heartbreaking, but we don’t know all of the facts.

Look, Coach Knapp (rest in peace) could have been your father, brother, friend etc. 

But that 22 year could easily be your son. What if it truly was an honest mistake? A slip of the wheel, looking at the other lane because a car there creeped up too close, blinding sun, etc.

We don’t know…its horrible but we shouldn’t be quick to drop the “lock him away” chants, especially with our limited knowledge of the situation.

I feel for Coach Knapp’s family, and I feel for this kid/his family as well. They have to live with this now.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do a sh*tload of biking around Connecticut and I’ve learned the hard way that being in a “bike lane” guarantees you absolutely nothing in terms of safety, and you have to be ready for evasive maneuvers every second of your trip. Knapp’s deal was a tragedy all around, but I agree with slats that ending the kid’s life over it wouldn’t help matters. 

I live in CT too and most bikers I've come across this week are close to the middle of the road and make no attempt to move over. 

• Upvote 2

Few basic points:

Accidents happen, and even in cases of accidents there should be consequences, especially in instances where loss of life is involved. 

Most cyclists are not blissfully unaware; many bicyclists are. If you don't know the difference take the time to understand as it will make you a better driver. 

Cyclists in most states can "take the lane" in the interest of safety. Cyclists in most states cannot ride on the sidewalk.

Sometimes it is advantageous (and safer) for both cyclists AND vehicles for cyclists to slow-roll stops/red lights/yields. 

Sometimes cyclists see things on the road you don't, or don't care about. If I take the time to take a hand off a handlebar at speed and point/signal, appreciate the heads-up and recognize half the drivers you encounter can't be bothered to use a turn signal.

Lastly, some of my MAMIL brethren are tools of the highest order. That said, they are still meat-encased water bags on 20 pounds or less of carbon/metal traveling at most 20-30 MPH, so exercise some extra caution when your box of steel zips passed. Perspective is everything, thanks in advance.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I think its just called an accident.  Sometimes they happen. 

But I wouldn't want to have to live with the memory of killing someone, accident or not the rest of my life.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yeah, some people want to throw people in jail for killing someone. Go figure. 

you don't know the details. the USA has the most people in jail per capita than every other country in the world, by a significant margin. the others close to us are places like el salvador, turkmenistan and cuba. it's a joke really. i mean we have for profit prisons. prison should not be making people money (excluding people who work there like guards). the system is broken

• Upvote 1