Is Ryan Leaf Psychic?

2 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

3 things stand out:

1) Looking back, it was malpractice for Douglas not to address RG and Center.  He needed to overpay to make something happen there.  I and many others knew it at the time and we were right.

2)  It was also a bad idea to hire a rookie 33 year old OC who looks in over his head at the moment.

3)  Finally, what was the downside to bringing in a veteran backup QB who can guide this kid when he makes a mistake and comes back to the sideline?

DING DING DING....Agreed

The problem is those 3 things are VERY BIG MISTAKES. 

Number 3 is still the most head scratching one of all 3 bad decisions. 

In fairness, a little of 2 is on Saleh, who was able to pick his own staff but someone shoulda stepped in and said "We surreee this a good idea?"

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I think "what more could they have done to help Zach in his rookie year"?'

3 things stand out:

1) Looking back, it was malpractice for Douglas not to address RG and Center.  He needed to overpay to make something happen there.  I and many others knew it at the time and we were right.

2)  It was also a bad idea to hire a rookie 33 year old OC who looks in over his head at the moment.

3)  Finally, what was the downside to bringing in a veteran backup QB who can guide this kid when he makes a mistake and comes back to the sideline?

I have posted that the Jets should have drafted Cushenberry or Biadasz instead of playing McGovern.  

On paper, McGovern is not a bad center.  The problems are actually GVT and oftentimes Moses (for pass blocking).  Moses is good enough.  I think if any OL person is not functional, it drags down the entire line.  On a good OL, everyone is functional, some are good, and some are very good/great.  The problem with the Jets is that GVR is not functional.   JD thought Lewis or Clark would be functional, but when that collapsed he either needed to find a RG or a QB to play instead of Wilson.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

3 things stand out:

All good points. My only thought is if Greg Knapp (RIP) was still here, number 3 wouldn’t be necessary.

1 hour ago, Albaniajet said:

People are downvoting this, but in another thread I’m reading that both the OC and the rookie QB are powerless to improve because the QB coach died in a bike accident a few months ago and we have to wait until the offseason to find a new Yoda-like svengali QB coach to help out the baby OC and young QB, and also they might sign Josh McCown at some point, because that’ll fix everything

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

People are downvoting this, but in another thread I’m reading that both the OC and the rookie QB are powerless to improve because the QB coach died in a bike accident a few months ago and we have to wait until the offseason to find a new Yoda-like svengali QB coach to help out the baby OC and young QB, and also they might sign Josh McCown at some point, because that’ll fix everything

I think people are downvoting the poster, and rightfully so.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

3 things stand out:

1) I will agree that JD could have done more for the OL, but he didn't expect Alex Lewis to retire and Cam Clark's spinal cord injury. He could have accidentally drafted a RG who would have played better than Van Roten. Which RG were we overpaying? It's not like he ignored the OL. He traded up for AVT, and that is looking good so far. He also signed Moses as a hedge for if/when Becton got injured. 

2) He does not look like he is in over his head at the moment. His rookie QB is missing high percentage short throws, and the right side of the OL is not helping which circles back to JD. That has nothing to do with the play calling. Do I think that LaFleur is doing a bang up job? No, he has a long way to go, but I do not see him being over his head.

3) He could have brought in a veteran back up QB, but not sure what difference that would have made. Darnold had McCown and Flacco, and that really didn't make much of a difference. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Like we did for Sam?

What tangible difference would having say, Brian Hoyer, on the roster today have on Wilson?

Are we 2-3 instead of 1-4 if we'd have done that?  

Are we ranked 20th on Offense instead of 32nd?

What say you?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yea and this guru knew zach for almost a full month. You just cant bounce back over night. Takes time

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

3 things stand out:

What are you talking about? I had 3 other posters on the board calling me an idiot for suggesting the same thing. 

3 things stand out:
1) I will agree that JD could have done more for the OL, but he didn't expect Alex Lewis to retire and Cam Clark's spinal cord injury. He could have accidentally drafted a RG who would have played better than Van Roten. Which RG were we overpaying? It's not like he ignored the OL. He traded up for AVT, and that is looking good so far. He also signed Moses as a hedge for if/when Becton got injured. 
2) He does not look like he is in over his head at the moment. His rookie QB is missing high percentage short throws, and the right side of the OL is not helping which circles back to JD. That has nothing to do with the play calling. Do I think that LaFleur is doing a bang up job? No, he has a long way to go, but I do not see him being over his head.
3) He could have brought in a veteran back up QB, but not sure what difference that would have made. Darnold had McCown and Flacco, and that really didn't make much of a difference. 

3 things stand out:

Can't disagree with any of that.

I don't know, I look at NE and McDaniel spoon-feeding Mac Jones with some success, at least in terms of getting accustomed to the pro game without having a fire drill 40 times a game. They call plays they let him get I to a rhythm - I don't see the high percentage short throws to TE and RB that you're seeing, at least not in the 1st Q or even half.