Henry Ruggs involved in serious car crash

I think Arnette was always known as a bit of a problem child in college, so not as surprised about him having issues now he is a pro.

The Ruggs one is much more surprising to me just because of his back story with his friend who died in a car crash. 

Money, fame and entitlement can do scary things to people.

18 hours ago, Hex said:

This is what happens when you move to Vegas

12 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Crazy people in every sport.

Vegas isn't the problem. 

Aaron Hernandez was a  prime example.

Easily could’ve been Chris Herndon who was driving 100mph drunk and smashed into another car. Same off season a Jets LB was popped driving drunk the wrong way through the Lincoln tunnel. It was dumb, blind luck neither of those resulted in fatalities.

When stuff like this happens isn’t not the time to try to make a point that “our players are good boys while team X has a rotten culture.” Stupidity doesn’t care about the color of your jersey. Every team is filled with young, rich, somewhat entitled athletes with prefrontal cortexes still under development.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/4/2021 at 4:57 PM, HighPitch said:

And assuming he was smart enough to protect his assets, this clown will probably only do 5 years max. When he comes out, he will be a late 20’s millionaire. The mom and dad? They will still be in therapy.

I can just see it now: 2026. Dateline NBC. Interview. The Henry Ruggs foundation. Created by a repentant Ruggs while he was in prison to bring awareness to drunk driving. Sobbing...”I was young, I didnt know how to handle the fame and money....I felt invincible”

” See I told you he has a soul...”...gastieau lives

meanwhile theres a coffin with a burnt girl in it and parents still in therapy

The math won't work out that way.  His four year deal was worth $16 mil.  About $9 mil of that was guaranteed signing bonus.   In theory, between 1.5 years comp and signing bonus, he earned about $11 mil.  BUT, the Raiders will  likely seek to void the fully guaranted signing bonus (possible when the person receiving the bonus does something morally repugnant and illegal).  His total comp for his 1.5 years in the league, if the bonus guarantee is voided, will be about $6 mil.   He'll have to pay back the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus, assuming he has it.

Factor in:  Agent fees, federal and state taxes.  That's easily 50% of the gross.  

Unknown:  Cost of legal fees to represent him in this case.  

Unknown: Income from endorsement deals (now dead, too).

Unknown: What investments he might have made since the signing.

Also unknown:  How much $$$ he gave away or blew on things like Corvettes, jewelry, vacations, etc.

My guess is, if he's lucky, his girlfriend, daughter and mom will have enough money to be comfortable for a few years, and Mr. Ruggs will then be broke.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, jgb said:

Easily could’ve been Chris Herndon who was driving 100mph drunk and smashed into another car. Same off season a Jets LB was popped driving drunk the wrong way through the Lincoln tunnel. It was dumb, blind luck neither of those resulted in fatalities.

When stuff like this happens isn’t not the time to try to make a point that “our players are good boys while team X has a rotten culture.” Stupidity doesn’t care about the color of your jersey. Every team is filled with young, rich, somewhat entitled athletes with prefrontal cortexes still under development.

It was Dylan Donahue who entered the wrong way at the Lincoln Tunnel.   Herndon had the 5 AM DWI accident on Rte 80 East in Rockaway Township  right at the Rockaway mall exit.   

Couple of major jerks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It was Dylan Donahue who entered the wrong way at the Lincoln Tunnel.   Herndon had the 5 AM DWI accident on Rte 80 East in Rockaway Township  right at the Rockaway mall exit.   

Couple of major jerks.

I really don't get it. I've driven before after a couple. I'm sure once or twice I was over the limit. And I drove like a grandma. Complete stops. 5 miles under the limit. 5 car lengths back. Etc.

Not justifying it at all but what is with combining the booze with the reckless driving?

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:14 AM, mrcoops said:

I think Arnette was always known as a bit of a problem child in college, so not as surprised about him having issues now he is a pro.

The Ruggs one is much more surprising to me just because of his back story with his friend who died in a car crash. 

Money, fame and entitlement can do scary things to people.

Money, fame and entitlement can do scary things to *fools*

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

I really don't get it. I've driven before after a couple. I'm sure once or twice I was over the limit. And I drove like a grandma. Complete stops. 5 miles under the limit. 5 car lengths back. Etc.

Not justifying it at all but what is with combining the booze with the reckless driving?

Makes me think they drive that way all the time. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Probably because you were right at the legal limit of .08 (in most states) which for most people is an impairment, but only a slight impairment, so you still had enough sense to realize I shouldn't be driving but since I am, I'm going to be extra extra careful.

Now....at .18 (or whatever Ruggs was at) the idea of, hey check out how fast I can go in my suped up car, seems like a really fun idea.  That's because you're so impaired, not only are things like reflexes, awareness etc. impaired, but so is your thought process.  Add on the idea that this is a young athlete who's ego makes him thinks he's on top of the world, and disaster strikes. 

Years and years ago, when I was a DUI prosecutor, I would have so many cases with people who were just at or above the legal limit.  Many times they got pulled over, not for issues like swerving or rolling through stops signs, but things like having the little white light that illuminates the license plate out, or other real simple things.  But not "driving like a drunk".

This is why you've seen a ton of commericals in the past few years re: Buzzed driving is Drunk driving.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Probably because you were right at the legal limit of .08 (in most states) which for most people is an impairment, but only a slight impairment, so you still had enough sense to realize I shouldn't be driving but since I am, I'm going to be extra extra careful.

Now....at .18 (or whatever Ruggs was at) the idea of, hey check out how fast I can go in my suped up car, seems like a really fun idea.  That's because you're so impaired, not only are things like reflexes, awareness etc. impaired, but so is your thought process.  Add on the idea that this is a young athlete who's ego makes him thinks he's on top of the world, and disaster strikes. 

Years and years ago, when I was a DUI prosecutor, I would have so many cases with people who were just at or above the legal limit.  Many times they got pulled over, not for issues like swerving or rolling through stops signs, but things like having the little white light that illuminates the license plate out, or other real simple things.  But not "driving like a drunk".

This is why you've seen a ton of commericals in the past few years re: Buzzed driving is Drunk driving.

Thanks IJ. Makes sense. I wonder if the ubiquity of ride-hailing apps has reduced drunk driver arrests/accidents. Not that there was ever an excuse -- any bar in the world would call you a cab and let you leave your ride in the parking lot until the next morning, one bar in my hometown the owner would drive you home himself if you were bombed -- but now it's barely even an inconvenience.

I'm sure they have them but bars should have lockers on time lock for you to lock up your keys that can't be opened until the next day.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Thanks IJ. Makes sense. I wonder if the ubiquity of ride-hailing apps has reduced drunk driver arrests/accidents. Not that there was ever an excuse -- any bar in the world would call you a cab and let you leave your ride in the parking lot until the next morning, one bar in my hometown the owner would drive you home himself if you were bombed -- but now it's barely even an inconvenience.

I'm sure they have them but bars should have lockers on time lock for you to lock up your keys that can't be opened until the next day.

Keyshawn said it best... Something along the lines of, 'I always felt like more of a baller when I stepped out of a big black SUV that someone else was driving - they get out and open the door for me.  I don't get why any of these kids drive themselves anywhere.'

Not only is at super easy to not have this issue, it's actually much cooler.

That much money, I'm letting some dude drive me around in the back of a Mercedes G Wagon - no question.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

26 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Since you were a DUI prosecutor thought you'd appreciate this story. Once at UNC I was the designated driver. We were athletes so we took it seriously because 1 offense and you were off the team (no second chances for non-revenue sport athletes lol). 2am, bar closes, the other dudes are bombed and I'm stone sober. We get to my teammate's car... it's a manual... I had driven one maybe twice not to mention I am a horrendous driver in any case.

So I start driving. Bucking, stalling, screeching tires, the whole 9 yards. We get pulled on suspicion of my driving drunk because I was so terrible. I explain the situation to the cop. He looks at the Passenger (car owner).

Cop: "This your car?"

P: "Yep." *hiccup*

Cop: "So you can drive a stick?"

P: "Of courze."

Cop: "You all going to the same place?"

P: "Yezzir."

Cop: "How far?"

P: "'Bout a mile."

Cop gives it a think.

Cop: "OK, willing to wager you drunk is less dangerous than your buddy sober. You drive, I follow. One mile over the limit I'm taking you to jail."

Ah the good ol' days.

• Haha 4

On 11/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Story about the guy (Damon Arnette) the Raiders drafted 7 picks after they took Ruggs.

image.png.b183d8bf32bafeebb1ffbabdb46fe588.png

https://dailysnark.com/2021/11/05/raiders-cb-damon-arnette-posts-video-waving-guns-around-threatening-to-kill-someone/

They just released Arnette...talk about a bad draft class...

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:39 PM, DetroitRed said:

Ruggs is a POS.  Million $ athlete who has no excuse to drive drunk.  

In the year 2021, why can't we make every car produced , drunk driver proof?

it's only a matter of time until all vehicles require a breathalyzer to be cleared before the engine turns over.  

Behaviorally, these tragic stories are not dissuading 20 something year olds - in large part due to cognitive impairment.  When you're plastered, entire sections of your brain go on standby. It's like asking someone who sleepwalked -- "Why did you eat all the ham, Charlie?!.."

25 years from now, when any motorized machine requires proof of sobriety, we'll look back on these DUI-times like we do now on those days before seatbelts.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

it's only a matter of time until all vehicles require a breathalyzer to be cleared before the engine turns over.  

Behaviorally, these tragic stories are not dissuading 20 something year olds - in large part due to cognitive impairment.  When  plastered, entire sections of your brain go on standby. It's like asking someone who sleep-walked -- "Why did you eat all the ham, Charlie?!.."

25 years from now, when any motorized machine requires proof of sobriety, we'll look back on this times like those days before seatbelts.

I would sign up for this today. I cringe thinking about some drunk coming through a light and killing my wife or kid.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, rbstern said:

The math won't work out that way.  His four year deal was worth $16 mil.  About $9 mil of that was guaranteed signing bonus.   In theory, between 1.5 years comp and signing bonus, he earned about $11 mil.  BUT, the Raiders will  likely seek to void the fully guaranted signing bonus (possible when the person receiving the bonus does something morally repugnant and illegal).  His total comp for his 1.5 years in the league, if the bonus guarantee is voided, will be about $6 mil.   He'll have to pay back the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus, assuming he has it.

Factor in:  Agent fees, federal and state taxes.  That's easily 50% of the gross.  

Unknown:  Cost of legal fees to represent him in this case.  

Unknown: Income from endorsement deals (now dead, too).

Unknown: What investments he might have made since the signing.

Also unknown:  How much $$$ he gave away or blew on things like Corvettes, jewelry, vacations, etc.

My guess is, if he's lucky, his girlfriend, daughter and mom will have enough money to be comfortable for a few years, and Mr. Ruggs will then be broke.

No state income tax in NV, which is where he received his signing bonus. 

But yeah the Raiders are going to get a portion of that back - or at least seek it - and if they do that'll probably get done before any lawsuit settlement, leaving the decedent's family SOL unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I would sign up for this today. I cringe thinking about some drunk coming through a light and killing my wife or kid.

Agreed. 100%

I don't have the research to back it up -- but i would comfortably assume that all the "awareness" campaigns, DUI-mitigating services, and law-enforcement efforts have plateaued in terms of curbing incident rates...

In other words, those who were going to respond to that type of intervention - have. No amount of slogans, threats of incarceration, and easy to use driver services was going to stop guys like Ruggs from thinking he was ready for the quarter mile that night. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

"The Mayock 7"

Mayock acknowledged there was "significant concern" regarding Arnette before the draft. "Obviously, we missed. That is 100 percent on me," he said, per ESPN.com.

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-releasing-former-first-round-cb-damon-arnette

His career in Vegas will end after just 13 games played and three total passes defensed over two seasons.

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Keyshawn said it best... Something along the lines of, 'I always felt like more of a baller when I stepped out of a big black SUV that someone else was driving - they get out and open the door for me.  I don't get why any of these kids drive themselves anywhere.'

Not only is at super easy to not have this issue, it's actually much cooler.

That much money, I'm letting some dude drive me around in the back of a Mercedes G Wagon - no question.

I’d go with the back of a different food truck each time but 100% agree! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2021 at 4:45 PM, Dcat said:

Wow, have we descended to the lowest  level of us telling each other what we are allowed or not allowed to feel after a tragedy?    How about no?

Took the words right out of my mouth.  It is possible to feel bad for both without needing to pass judgement.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1