Henry Ruggs involved in serious car crash

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What a selfish ****ing scumbag.

He should get out after she's not dead anymore.

I agree. 

Never once in this thread did I say he shouldn't be punished. 

I just think maybe trying to figure out where this attitude came from so that hopefully we can prevent other incidents like this instead of just calling people human garbage and other meaningless gestures of emotional incontinence and posturing.

• Upvote 1

The fastest I ever drove in a car was my '94 T Bird driving from Fresno to Sacramento.  Was going maybe 105 just north of Madera.  A septic tank truck passed me maybe going 120

True story.  Sort of humbling.  I don't mean to minimize the tragedy and stupidity of the Ruggs crash, though.  Sorry.

15 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Smashed into the back of a car at 127 MPH and able to walk away.  Unbelievable.

I'm guessing if her car was in motion, say at 40 mph, and he rearends her, it softens the blow a bit vs. if it was stationary?  Still, awful.

I hope he gets max time...no plea bargain.  What strategy can his defense attorneys use to fight this?

Sadly, crap like this happens all the time.  A college girl was killed nearby on her way to school when a drugged up guy swerved over into her lane and killed her. He'd already sideswiped another car a short time earlier and just kept on going. Sickening.

18 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I agree. 

I just think maybe trying to figure out where this attitude came from so that hopefully we can prevent other incidents like this instead of just calling people human garbage and other meaningless gestures of emotional incontinence and posturing.

I wasn't talking to you

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What a selfish ****ing scumbag.

Driving 156 mph

BAC twice the legal limit

And it's not like it was even on the freeway, bad as that would still be. But this was in a residential area with traffic lights, sidewalks, and bus stops. Pulling it up on Google Maps, the intersection crosses two streets with 45 and 25 mph speed limits (because it's by homes where people walk on the side of the road). 

The loaded handgun just makes the optics worse, though it had nothing to do with the incident (as far as we know, unless he was speeding away from some altercation where he brandished or even used it).

Then reading here how this girl in her 20s (and her doggy) died, by burning alive in her car?

He should get out after she's not dead anymore.

There are two charges against him and they don't have to be served concurrently, whereby the second offense (reckless driving resulting in death) he gets to have committed without punishment. So it looks like his max is 26 years so far, not 20, and even that's not counting any upcoming gun charges.

He's through. As well he should be. Redemption for him is serving his time, and giving up a chunk of his life, to the victims and their families who have suffered because of similar acts.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I agree. 

One way to avoid something like this happening again is to shout from the goddamn rooftops about how much of a scumbag piece of human garbage Henry Ruggs is for being selfish and murdering an innocent woman and her dog. If people see how much of a scumbag piece of human garbage Henry Ruggs is, they will want to avoid being known as a scumbag piece of human garbage and not drive drunk, and not drive 156 mph while drunk.

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

My guess would be a breach of the fuel line or gas tank, and the spilled fuel caught fire.

Thats what I'm thinking.

Gas line got snapped off in her car and the fuel pump (with key still on) kept pumping gas onto the hot manifold till it caught fire. Pretty common on the race track.

R.I.P. to the girl and dog.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

A lost life is tragic, make no mistake. 
The situation involved here, and the whole trapped in fire part makes it even more so. 

But we don’t know the full story.  

If an innocent bystander was killed by an illegal street race vs. a willing participant who died while street racing vs. someone who decided to get hit by a car for (millionaire) insurance money, it all triggers different degrees of empathy… because of their degree of participation and understanding the risks they were taking. 

so someone is gonna do an insurance fraud at 3:45 AM with a drunk driver?

this is one of the wierdiest comments on this sad situation.

• Upvote 4

Meanwhile, Hart told police, Ruggs was hanging from the driver’s side door of his Corvette, with his feet on the floorboard and “his body laying on the road.”

When police arrived at the crash site, Ruggs refused to participate in a field sobriety test, according to the report. Instead, two blood draws were taken at the hospital.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/woman-killed-in-crash-with-henry-ruggs-identified-2471162/

So apparently it looks like Ruggs didn't stay at the scene to cooperate, it appears that he was just to hurt/drunk to run.

He refused field sobriety so anyone who thinks he stayed at the scene because he realized what an awful thing he had just done is wrong.

• Upvote 3

Just heard he was driving at a speed of 156 MPH with twice the legal alcohol content.  Rammed into a car and killed its passenger, a woman.  So terrible on every level.  In my experience, the younger generation has been much more responsible when it comes to drinking and driving.  My generation was terrible and it's a miracle that there were not more fatalities, particularly since we never wore seat belts.  One life snuffed out and another life with so much promise destroyed.  I hope someone learns from this tragedy.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Thats what I'm thinking.

Gas line got snapped off in her car and the fuel pump (with key still on) kept pumping gas onto the hot manifold till it caught fire. Pretty common on the race track.

R.I.P. to the girl and dog.

Front end of that 'vette completely undercut the back bumper of the Rav4 and ripped open the gas tank/smashed the rear diff/sparked immediate explosion.  Scary to think about for Corvettes, at least C8's.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

I doubt this very much.

I think he's going to be made an example of.  Maybe I'm being naive, but I think he's going to go to prison, and for some time.

Guilty plea for a lesser sentence, if I'm reaching for a guess.  But, would shock me if he doesn't get 5 years, and he's 100% never playing another snap.  Maybe 10 years ago, but not today.

I hope you're right, if he is indeed guilty.  Due process first, of course.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

so someone is gonna do an insurance fraud at 3:45 AM with a drunk driver?

this is one of the wierdiest comments on this sad situation.

Yeah, as more details continue to get released since I posted that (18 hours ago) this speculated scenario doesn’t seem likely. 

At the time, my comment was to get more info before passing judgement. 
Since then, we’ve learned his BAC, his speed at collision, her dog being present, and his inability to leave the scene.  

You faulting me for speculation on a message board is probably more misplaced than believing weird sh*t doesn’t happen in Vegas at 3:40 am. 

It’s a tragic story; I’m not the villain here.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You know when women are inebriated to a certain degree, they are no longer responsible, sexually, for their actions, legally. 

Perhaps the dumbest comment I have read on this board. You mean they are incapable of giving consent. I would suggest that if the roles were reversed and you were dead drunk and a woman tried to shove a fence post up your nether parts, you would not be "responsible" for your "actions" either, "sexually." :

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I keep thinking about the poor woman who was trapped and incinerated in her car.  If that's your mother, wife, sister, aunt, cousin, or friend, how do you ever let it go?   

People worried about poor Henry Ruggs. The guy ruined how many lives with his stupidity. 

• Upvote 3