Cimini questions Saleh about team progress

Rhg1084

17 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That and $5 gets you a cup of coffee.  So what does that answer actually accomplish?  How does it make the team better?  I'm sure Saleh knows its been a bad year,  but his job isn't to make you feel better.  

It got me a cup of coffee

With his answer, he has unwittingly opened the door ...each week he will get the same question, perhaps asked a different way...he better realize and recognize that and have an answer..you only get to shut down the question once..every reporter smells blood now...they all have group think and will be looking for him to stumble...the frog is in the pot and the water is starting to rise to a slow boil.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Yeah but the Jets can at least pursue them. When they got rid of Bowles I really wanted Jim Caldwell. Some don't like him, and he's just an example, but there's a guy with a track record of at least winning football games in this league. We can pick apart his resume, or someone else's, but I'm just always tired of the same old approach with this team.

It's always the up and coming defensive coordinator. Always. 

How do you know they don't pursue them? You can go back and see that the Jets are rumored to express interest in candidates who won't even take the interview or decline further interest after the interview. 

The Jets interviewed Caldwell before hiring Gase. In Caldwell's case none of the teams where he interviewed pursued him and he ended up as a coordinator. Not sure how much you can blame the Jets for making the same decision as the Packers. None of the teams wanted him as a head coach and still don't.

Outside of Gase, yes, it's always defensive coordinators. That comes back to available options. Experienced head coaches want to go to a team where wins are likely. This hasn't been it outside of when they hired Sexy Rexy. Offensive coordinators with success usually have a FQB and a solid roster. They don't have a lot of incentive to go from an ideal situation as an OC to a terrible situation as HC. DCs are generally not married to the defensive staff so they can try their hand at HC and if it fails, like Bowles, there's usually a team looking for a DC. 

59 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I hear Jets fans say stuff like this, but just to be clear most of the top head coaches in this league:

A) Are on their first stint as an NFL Head Coach (Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Sean McVay, Sean McDermott, etc.)

B) Were fired in their first stint as an NFL HC for failing. (Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll)

There aren't many guys who are proven winners who are available. Andy Reid to the Chiefs is the only one I can think of in twenty years... And those guys can usually pick their gig. They don't want to come to a team that has a history of losing, is in the same division as Belichick and is 2nd in their own city.

If the Jets ever nail the HC hire it's going to be because we finally hit a HR with a first year HC. 

Fair. But you could also be the team that gives a guy a second chance after he learned (hopefully) somewhere else. Obviously Gase technically fits that, but I'm talking more about a guy who was a HC, maybe he had some success, but for whatever reason it didn't work out, he goes back to being a coordinator, and then gets a second chance. I'd love for us to be that team once. 

There are guys throughout this league who are coordinators right now who have been a HC at this level before. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Fair. But you could also be the team that gives a guy a second chance after he learned (hopefully) somewhere else. Obviously Gase technically fits that, but I'm talking more about a guy who was a HC, maybe he had some success, but for whatever reason it didn't work out, he goes back to being a coordinator, and then gets a second chance. I'd love for us to be that team once. 

There are guys throughout this league who are coordinators right now who have been a HC at this level before. 

Look, I get it. I'd hop to overpay to land the next Parcells type too.

There just usually isn't the option.

• Upvote 2

Lets take a look maybe our hero, Mr. C. was off,...

Car - Game over first half
NE1- Game over first half
Den - Shut out, game over 1Q
Tn- Win
Atl- Game was essentially over first half but close at the end
Bye which they obviously lost because...
NE - gave up 54, game was over before it kicked off
Cin - win
Indy - Game over first half
Buf - Game over first half
Mia - Lost to Tua LOL
Phl - Had this as an auto loss because we have never, nor will ever beat them
No - We were never in this game at all

Going forward
Mia - expect another non competitive loss
Jax - Don't know what to expect, would not be shocked if this is the breakout game for Trevor Lawrence, our d is the cure for all that ills and is so bad it is comical at times
TB - LOL
Buf - LOL

3-14

Lack of talent is one thing. Being totally unprepared and out hustled is another. This team has not come to play football 10 out of 13 times this season so far. What reason could anyone possibly have for saying this CS is going to improve and turn things around? They've already botched the backup QB thing, botched the Mims thing in the early season, and have looked like they have no idea what they are doing on most game days. For some unknown reason, their players are injured more than any other NFL team. Sad thing is we cannot fire a HC after 1 season, that would look ridiculous so we are stuck with Salala through at least next year.

Himmmmmmmm, seems Mr C had a point!

How exactly do people think he would have answered the question?

Yeah, guys we picked up off the streets to replace players who weren't even on the team two weeks ago, those players should be showing growth in the 2nd half of the season.  Even if they weren't here in the 1st half.  And the ones here in the beginning, they just suck

• Upvote 2

what else can saleh say at this point.  should he get on mims for not knowing where he's supposed to line up?  ty johnson for dropping 2 or 3 bunny passes from wilson?  wilson for not placing the ball where a receivers can easily catch it?  it's clear this team still needed upgrades at a few positions and then the injuries took away players who were actually playing pretty well.  my view on injuries is that seems to have a positive effect on injuries.  they need a win and then they need a bunch of wins.

16 minutes ago, rangerous said:

what else can saleh say at this point.  should he get on mims for not knowing where he's supposed to line up?  ty johnson for dropping 2 or 3 bunny passes from wilson?  wilson for not placing the ball where a receivers can easily catch it?  it's clear this team still needed upgrades at a few positions and then the injuries took away players who were actually playing pretty well.  my view on injuries is that seems to have a positive effect on injuries.  they need a win and then they need a bunch of wins.

The coach is responsible for the all of this. I’ve questioned Saleh’s commitment to hard coaching, hard practices etc from the get go. Training camp being as soft as it was was a huge flag. Wilson didn’t get nearly enough reps in the preseason of the plan was to start him from week 1. For example Mac Jones threw 52 passes in preseason while Wilson threw 20. Just absurd. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Saleh better be very careful with his answers.   It’s cool to be able to say how everyone is young and in their first year and yada, yada, yada.   What’s his answer going to be next year when expectations ramp up even more than they are now.    It’s easy to be dismissive of people asking about the lack of improvement right now and act like he knows more and has everything under control.   He has 4 more games of these excuses and then he’s going to have to come up different excuses.   

Disagree. He has 14 starters out - beyond ridiculous. How the hell can any company improve when so many of their valuable assets aren't there. It's BS to think people can improve when the situation is much worse now than before. Why isn't Zach completing throws down the field when no-one is gaining separation, etc. It's a black and white way of thinking in a sport that is far from black and white. Worst part of football is injuries. Cimini is being a tool again and he knows it. 

3 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Disagree. He has 14 starters out - beyond ridiculous. How the hell can any company improve when so many of their valuable assets aren't there. It's BS to think people can improve when the situation is much worse now than before. Why isn't Zach completing throws down the field when no-one is gaining separation, etc. It's a black and white way of thinking in a sport that is far from black and white. Worst part of football is injuries. Cimini is being a tool again and he knows it. 

I think fans should be more mad at the Jets then reporters but that’s just me 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

So it was a bad question?   So since there wasn’t much progress this year, what is the mantra for Saleh next year?  He was able to play the whole “we’re just really young and wins and losses don’t matter” card this year.  What are we to expect next season?   When can we expect progress and wins?  Tell me when I’m allowed to expect to win football games?  And when is it reasonable to be able to ask the coach about the progress of the team?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Tell me when I’m allowed to expect to win football games?

Been asking this for a long time. 

I’m also growing tired of Jet fans after every loss the last 3 years saying “what did ya expect” 

Call me old school but wins Still matter to me? Why are you watching a game if you don’t care the outcome 

Boggles my mind 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I think fans should be more mad at the Jets then reporters but that’s just me 

but this is what we all thought would happen. except for Zach but lets be fair he missed 4 games and is now working without his top weapons . hasnt has Carter in 4 weeks. 

the defense is worst than we thought but we all thought it would be pretty bad.

look pal next year is a different story. im not going to kill them this year since i wasnt expecting much and im surprised if anyone did.

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Been asking this for a long time. 

I’m also growing tired of Jet fans after every loss the last 3 years saying “what did ya expect” 

Call me old school but wins Still matter to me? Why are you watching a game if you don’t care the outcome 

Boggles my mind 

Atlanta with a rookie coach and less talent in a tougher division has 6 wins and still in contention. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

When was the last time the Jets hired a Head Coach with previous success in this league? And Gase doesn't count.

Parcells lol. It's ridiculous that this team constantly trots out rookie HC after rookie HC and never considers giving somebody with proven success in this league a chance.

And no, I don't want to fire Robert Saleh right now. But for once I would love to see this team hire a guy with a decent track record. 

Honestly, how many of those guys were available to hire? Parcells and Shanahan are closer to moving into Sunrise Assisted Living than they are to roaming a sideline at this stage. 

The only 2 guys with success that I could think of that were available were Jim Harbaugh (who many of you refused to even consider) and Doug Pederson (who many of you also hated). 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So it was a bad question?   So since there wasn’t much progress this year, what is the mantra for Saleh next year?  He was able to play the whole “we’re just really young and wins and losses don’t matter” card this year.  What are we to expect next season?   When can we expect progress and wins?  Tell me when I’m allowed to expect to win football games?  And when is it reasonable to be able to ask the coach about the progress of the team?  

Harry Potter GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The coach is responsible for the all of this. I’ve questioned Saleh’s commitment to hard coaching, hard practices etc from the get go. Training camp being as soft as it was was a huge flag. Wilson didn’t get nearly enough reps in the preseason of the plan was to start him from week 1. For example Mac Jones threw 52 passes in preseason while Wilson threw 20. Just absurd. 

Okay that’s fair. Parcells went 3-13 his first year r and said he wouldn’t let that happen again.

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Is it really that hard to understand what Saleh said and didn't want to say?  Not only was this team young and inexperienced in August, but now in December, it is decimated by injuries.   The team that took the field in September was already missing key pieces from the team that opened camp in July, and the team that took the field yesterday did not even resemble the team that opened the season in July, or September.  He started to say that players that played yesterday were getting first time NFL experience, but just stopped. Anybody looking to measure this team with wins and losses at this point is showing lack of knowledge.  And Cimini is just being his name - Dick.  

yeah, this was a 3-4 win team in the beginning of the season. we are there. also, wins and losses are based on your team and the other teams you play. We beat one team we shouldn't have, and beat another team that is as bad as us. The growth and progress was about players being comfortable in the system, etc.

While Zack has his ups and downs, he has made some progress (not on the short throws :-) ); Moore was making tremendous progress before getting injured. The OL, while looking a bit shaky yesterday is significantly better than at the beginning of the year. I think the D is either worse, exposed, or was just playing over their head in the first few games.

Cimini knows this (or he is dummy than we thought) - he wanted to either smack Saleh around or get him to throw someone under the bus. Glad it didn't work. However, he could have said what I stated above - parts of the team are getting better and are better, it just isn't translating into wins..

• Upvote 1