It’s not supposed to be like this

Green Ghost

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

The last few years have been really bad, but for some reason this year is different.  I’m sick of watching this mess. 

I I took a perverse pleasure out of watching the Saints turn what was a close game into a blowout. Instead of rooting for the Jets to come back I found myself hoping/wanting to see a beat down. 

I can’t figure out if the Jets have made me hate them

I’m the only one who feels this way. It doesn’t make sense 

This would seem a lot more threatening if you used cut out letters from a variety of source material.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I can't disagree with the OP. I think as Jet fans we're starving for something positive. We keep getting our hopes up only to get dropped on our heads over and over. It really starts to wear on you after a while.

We shouldn't be surviving on a few flashes per game, it's ridiculous. Like I said in another post I'm watching the other teams highlights on the NFL Network and our team doesn't look anything like that LOL.

We just re-did everything from top to bottom. The front office, the president, the gm, head coach, QB you name it. WTF!?

I think Zach Wilson is blind in one eye. That's all I can come up with-

Parcells and belicheat met woody once and got the hell out of town. 

I stopped following the knicks 10 years ago 

big difference is the ritual of lazy football sundays. 

I know I’ll never stop watching but yes I don’t care much or expect anything and yes many an evil laugh has been directed at this clown car this year. 

• Upvote 2

I've laughed at how comically bad the team has been especially as the season has gone on. I haven't been watching the games intently and even yesterday I was at a bar showing all the games and barely watched the second half once the Saints started pulling away. Football is entertainment and if not entertained there's no point in suffering because you're supposed to or whatever. There are too many better ways to spend a Sunday afternoon. 

No point to rooting for losses unless it makes you feel good to do it. The coaching staff and roster will substantially remain in place even if the team is blown out the remaining games. 

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve been watching this team longer than most of you. I go back to just before the ‘64 season. I remember being excited when the Jets took both Namath and John Huarte in that year’s draft. Both my dad and grandfather were Giant fans, but I decided to switch to the Jets… big move for a young boy, lol.

We all know the history of this team. Like a lot of you I held season tickets for years back when they played in Shea and then Giants Stadium (I still hate calling it that).

The last few years have been really bad, but for some reason this year is different. Maybe it’s because of what we just went through with Darnold, but I have no patience left for this team and Zach Wilson. I’m sick of watching this mess. The names change, the results don’t.

I watched yesterday, and to be completely honest, I took a perverse pleasure out of watching the Saints turn what was a close game into a blowout. Instead of rooting for the Jets to come back I found myself hoping/wanting to see a beat down. I’m not trying to be a d**k here, and this isn’t another “I’ve had it with this team” threads, I’m not going anywhere.
I can’t figure out if the Jets have made me hate them, or if I’m just not happy with the way they’re trying to rebuild?

I’m curious if I’m the only one who feels this way. It doesn’t make sense to turn on a game involving the team you rooted for all your life and wanting to see them get embarrassed. Like my thread title says, “it’s not supposed to be like this”, but for me it is. 

i feel your pain.  it does feel kind of different.  i can't put my finger on it.  maybe it's because they don't have any identity.  at least with rex, we could count on him keeping the excitement up whether he was coaching the team to the afce champ game or just saying stupid things in pressers.  saleh and douglas both seem to be very corporate and are trying to execute a plan that maybe we aren't privy too.  i hope it works.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I can't disagree with the OP. I think as Jet fans we're starving for something positive. We keep getting our hopes up only to get dropped on our heads over and over. It really starts to wear on you after a while.

We shouldn't be surviving on a few flashes per game, it's ridiculous. Like I said in another post I'm watching the other teams highlights on the NFL Network and our team doesn't look anything like that LOL.

We just re-did everything from top to bottom. The front office, the president, the gm, head coach, QB you name it. WTF!?

I think Zach Wilson is blind in one eye. That's all I can come up with-

There are no flash plays for NFL QBs. Just flash games. Being able to make a couple really nice passes a game is the bare minimum job requirement.

4 hours ago, rtnelson said:

This happened a few years back with my college team.  Take a step away from "caring" for a while.  Maybe watch the draft, but other then that don't read up on the team and just come in next season with a clean slate.

I think they'll be better next year, and while probably not a playoff team there will be some fun games.  It's a game, just relax and check out for a while.

I stopped watching, I kind of scoreboard watch on my phone, that's about it.

I love this place, I love the draft, I honestly think I might make a better GM then most of the people they have hired.   Just out of pure common sense

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i feel your pain.  it does feel kind of different.  i can't put my finger on it.  maybe it's because they don't have any identity.  at least with rex, we could count on him keeping the excitement up whether he was coaching the team to the afce champ game or just saying stupid things in pressers.  saleh and douglas both seem to be very corporate and are trying to execute a plan that maybe we aren't privy too.  i hope it works.

Because, what young players do you say, "This guy could really make a difference"?

We always said, "When Brady is done."   He is done, and the Pats are #1 seed again with a new QB, and our guy (taken 13 spots earlier) can't throw a completion to his running back. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Because, what young players do you say, "This guy could really make a difference"?

We always said, "When Brady is done."   He is done, and the Pats are #1 seed again with a new QB, and our guy (taken 13 spots earlier) can't throw a completion to his running back. 

Yep. Foreseeable and indeed foreseen by those not blinded by media hyperbole.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, chirorob said:

well i guess we can look forward and say right now moore, carter, hall, becton, williams, myers, avt can all make a difference.  this is more than the team had during all of mac's era.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, rangerous said:

well i guess we can look forward and say right now moore, carter, hall, becton, williams, myers, avt can all make a difference.  this is more than the team had during all of mac's era.

Becton, his fault or not, can not stay on the field.

AVT has been decent, but if you trade up for a guard he better be pretty good by year 2.  

Zach, I hope he works out, I'm not a hater, but he has been rough with the accuracy from everything I have read.

5 hours ago, jbt said:

i have lost interest in football over the past 10 years thanks to this crappy franchise.  they have taken the fun out of it. 

um, but you are still posting to a Jets site? you may have numbed yourself to the loosing and drama, but i think we can say that you are still interested - sorry...

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

um, but you are still posting to a Jets site? you may have numbed yourself to the loosing and drama, but i think we can say that you are still interested - sorry...

Not necessarily I’ve gone entire seasons without watching Jets but I can’t abandon my flock here and deny them the good word.

18 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve been watching this team longer than most of you. I go back to just before the ‘64 season. I remember being excited when the Jets took both Namath and John Huarte in that year’s draft. Both my dad and grandfather were Giant fans, but I decided to switch to the Jets… big move for a young boy, lol.

We all know the history of this team. Like a lot of you I held season tickets for years back when they played in Shea and then Giants Stadium (I still hate calling it that).

The last few years have been really bad, but for some reason this year is different. Maybe it’s because of what we just went through with Darnold, but I have no patience left for this team and Zach Wilson. I’m sick of watching this mess. The names change, the results don’t.

I watched yesterday, and to be completely honest, I took a perverse pleasure out of watching the Saints turn what was a close game into a blowout. Instead of rooting for the Jets to come back I found myself hoping/wanting to see a beat down. I’m not trying to be a d**k here, and this isn’t another “I’ve had it with this team” threads, I’m not going anywhere.
I can’t figure out if the Jets have made me hate them, or if I’m just not happy with the way they’re trying to rebuild?

I’m curious if I’m the only one who feels this way. It doesn’t make sense to turn on a game involving the team you rooted for all your life and wanting to see them get embarrassed. Like my thread title says, “it’s not supposed to be like this”, but for me it is. 

Nice post.
I also go back to the 1960’s with this team. I have a different take. Even though  I was frustrated and left this game with about 5:00 minutes left, I think this is the first true rebuild in the sense that JD purged players like Adams and Darnold for draft picks. For once they didn’t play it half way and truly are rebuilding from scratch. Because of that I am patient with them this season. However, that said, I will feel like you next season if I don’t see tangible progress. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You're in good company with this one...

There's a very good portion of this board that have been hoping for Wilson to fail from the very beginning.  It's very nice to see you being honest about it.  I wish more would follow...

If you read what the poster wrote, he never mentioned Zach once. He is tired of the team being an utter mess. This goes beyond the QB. This more points to this team being in constant rebuild mode. To your point though, nobody really wants to see our QB play badly no matter what you might think. We watch the Jets for entertainment.  Lately  we have been watching the Jets with hope of seeing something functional.  The team is a total mess on both sides of the ball. I honestly can't  figure out how our D got so bad in one season. I understand they are mostly first year or second  year guys with very little vet leadership but this is a total failure. You can't  tell me that they put this D together  knowing they were going to give up 30 points a game and put tremendous  pressure  on the O to keep up with a rookie QB.  This is what we are all sick of and probably for some of us want to see the team crash and burn, not Zach.

• Sympathy 1

On 12/13/2021 at 1:23 PM, GangGreened said:

Watching games definitely isn’t fun anymore. It’s more for the comedic value in it at this point. 

I am shamed for watching the Jets by those around me. I almost have to hide it, or apologize for it. My bro-in-law Packer fan asks why would you follow the Jets? They’re losers. Implying, if you follow them, you’re a loser too. I feel guilty for spending too much time reading about them and being here in JN. So much wasted time … and yet … here I am. As someone else expressed in this thread (paraphrasing) I sometimes find myself hoping they get creamed once they fall behind too far. There’s some perverse joy in the absolute futility of it. Weird. The Jets are a bad drug. I need J.A. 

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2021 at 12:01 PM, jgb said:

This is a very valid coping mechanism. When the team is a total joke, why not laugh along with it? Gallows humor is a well-known human reaction to hopeless situations.

Based on the reactions of each Gallows message, it seems like Gallows humor is pretty popular

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Nice post.
I also go back to the 1960’s with this team. I have a different take. Even though  I was frustrated and left this game with about 5:00 minutes left, I think this is the first true rebuild in the sense that JD purged players like Adams and Darnold for draft picks. For once they didn’t play it half way and truly are rebuilding from scratch. Because of that I am patient with them this season. However, that said, I will feel like you next season if I don’t see tangible progress. 

Im with you.  I cant remember all the times my friends and I have called for a complete rebuild. top to bottom.  They finally seem to be committed to this, as long as JD drafts like he did this year it will work.  Pretty much everyone was on board, realizing that its setting up the roster and depth over wins.  Its hard to stick with a plan like that because fans on a whole wind up going back to Ws & Ls

• Upvote 2

On 12/13/2021 at 1:17 PM, Green Ghost said:

I was getting my booster shot Monday when this was posted by you and just read it now. Excellent post Green Ghost. I find myself sick of the way Joe Douglas has been "rebuilding" our Jets. You're right the GM, head coach, and starting quarterback names change but the Jets continue to field a very bad football team without much hope for the future. The one common denominator is the Jets ownership.

Imagine if Woody Johnson owned the Cardinals. He would have made the Cardinals fans endure at least 3 seasons of Josh Rosen and Steve Wilks and passed on Kyler Murray.

Bottom line I've have reached the point were I'm apathetic towards the Jets. I find myself turning the channel and watching real football teams who are better prepared and have more exciting players, which is a result of having better talent evaluators and better ownership.

Thank you Woody, thank you. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2021 at 1:17 PM, Green Ghost said:

I think like you I've been watching for a long time as well, back since 68. I got excited when we drafted Darnold, even though I was hoping we'd take Allen. Then I was sucked in again when we drafted Wilson. I take steps back every now and then and don't let myself get caught up. I'm giving this team until 2023 to get better, if by then I don't see it, then I'll probably step away again for a bit. I've done that throughout the years and it has given me some sanity.

• Upvote 2

On the contrary, given everything we know over the past decade, this is exactly how it’s supposed to be.

Might be why I’ve only watched a handful of Jets games over the past 5 years. I already know exactly what to expect and don’t care for it, so I use that time to enjoy beautiful New England autumns with my wife and young children.

I’m still a fan. I still follow JN and check all the metrics after every game. I skim some articles and follow a variety of Jets handles on Instagram which quickly get me up to speed on whatever I missed. I also still love football and have caught many big NFL and College games including all of the playoffs. So I’m not saying farewell to any of it. It’s just that the Jets haven’t made it worth my while, and until they do, I’d rather spend my time, money, and emotions elsewhere.

People don't even appreciate how bad we've been.

5o6knokami581.jpg

The above graph shows that we're barely ahead of the Texans in overall point differential but they give up most of their points late. The Jets are killed early and often and are by far the least competitive team in the league. We're a genuine disgrace and this is the second year Douglas has overseen such a debacle. Everyone is on the hot seat next year. This incompetence at all levels cannot be allowed to continue. @SAR I often compares us to an expansion team but the last few expansion sides significantly outplayed this group. We're a travesty.