Davante Adams lookinhttps://forums.jetnation.com/topic/164605-davante-adams-looking-for-30m-a-year/g for $30m a year

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Guy’s a stud. That’s for sure. He wants to play for a playoff ready ream now. Jets aren’t there. 

So far all we know is that his priority is to get paid. All things being equal he probably chooses playoff ready team over not, but we don't know what is going into his decision.

Maybe he really likes the LaFleur offense and wants to get paid $30mm/year in it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So far all we know is that his priority is to get paid. All things being equal he probably chooses playoff ready team over not, but we don't know what is going into his decision.

Maybe he really likes the LaFleur offense and wants to get paid $30mm/year in it.

I like it. I don’t buy it, but let’s hope. 

Adams for 30 mill or Mike Evans & Robert Woods for 32mill ?

I'll take Mike Evan AND Robert Woods for for 32 mill please.

Yes I am being facetious and know that would not be their asking price(32 mill is the sum of their current salaries) ... but it has to be noted that for 30mill you can sign two very good players.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean if you put Adams Moore and Davis on the field together that’s a serious problem for the defense no matter who the QB is. Heck even Darnold would put up sick numbers with that supporting cast 

Then draft 2 TEs from this class and have the versatility to run them out there as well.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

Not saying not to pay him that.  Just wondering what type of cap space is out there for possible landing spots.

Ah..

Yeah.  There are a handful of teams that have more space than the Jets and - there is ALWAYS ways to make room.  Realistically if just about any team really wants him they can find a way to pay him.  

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh. 
it’s a Jets chat board in the off season.  While it’s highly unlikely it happens, the Jets do have a lot of money and in desperate reed of a  WR.  It’s a fun discussion.  
Which of the top threads on this board do you prefer?

Dudes hand sizes?

or 

What’s your name?

@JTJet in shambles 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you don't want to sign Adams offer 22.5/year. The market is set. He will get $30mm/year or damn close to it from someone.

i dont think he will get that much.

when Jamal Adams got his contract to make him the highest paid safety, he only beat the 2nd guy by maybe a million.

Amari Cooper is tops now at 22 mil. i dont think the owners will let Adams move the market that much. he wants 8 million more than the top guy now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh. 
it’s a Jets chat board in the off season.  While it’s highly unlikely it happens, the Jets do have a lot of money and in desperate reed of a  WR.  It’s a fun discussion.  
Which of the top threads on this board do you prefer?

Dudes hand sizes?

or 

What’s your name?

It’s gotta be the Berries thread. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, doitny said:

i dont think he will get that much.

when Jamal Adams got his contract to make him the highest paid safety, he only beat the 2nd guy by maybe a million.

Amari Cooper is tops now at 22 mil. i dont think the owners will let Adams move the market that much. he wants 8 million more than the top guy now.

DeAndre Hopkins makes over 27m/year. 30m isn't far off what the next highest paid WR will be getting. 

https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208/

55 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Trade Fant?  Hasn’t he proven pretty solid?  

Yes, Fant has been really good on the left side.  Unfortunately if the draft lines up with us taking a tackle (Cross/Ike) with one of our first round picks, then I'd trade him for another position of need.  

*Unless they plan on using Ike as a guard.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

DeAndre Hopkins makes over 27m/year. 30m isn't far off what the next highest paid WR will be getting. 

https://overthecap.com/player/deandre-hopkins/2208/

Hopkins is an outlier.  Do you pay a landscaper the highest possible salary because he is very good ? Or do you look at average landscaping costs and decide where fair market value is ?

I think mindset on this is .. one guy 1/6 of your salary cap or not. Especially if he is not a QB.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Hopkins is an outlier.  Do you pay a landscaper the highest possible salary because he is very good ? Or do you look at average landscaping costs and decide where fair market value is ?

We should ask the Cardinals how their Hopkins investment worked out, and if they will be able to support him after they pay Kyle Murray.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Sign Adams and a RG and the offense is complete. Then you can focus on the draft for defense 

Your heart is in the right place, but the offense is not complete. Who is playing TE? Who is your other RB? WR/TE/OL depth as our guys get injured often, and may get tired occasionally. The team has a lot of needs to be addressed in a hurry which means a large volume of quality bodies coming in this year as opposed to a crown jewel, and some touch up. If they don't win at least 8 or more games this year the drum beat will start for regime change. Signing a WR for 30 mill is going to limit what you can do quite a bit. What happens if the dude gets hurt? That's a lot of coin that could have gone to multiple players that would probably help the team more in a sum of the parts game...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

It's a fair question.  Hopkins is a clear outlier at $27M AAV vs. the next three at $22M (Julio), $20.25M (Keenan Allen) and $20M (Amari Cooper).  ARI created a real problem there but they had just traded for him and I guess he held them up for all that.

Problem is though, that Adams *is* the best WR in the league right now, but that's built on a foundation of catching passes from Rodgers.  Is he going to be the best WR in the NFL in his next team?  Maybe.  Hopkins is still killing it, but his TDs are down.  Is he worth $27M in ARI?  I guess looking at where they ended up, you might think not.  Is Adams going to turn into the WR version of Trumaine Johnson and just blame the QB for not being Rodgers?  Dunno.

If we were talking $25M, that would seem much more realistic.  Ignore the outlier and give  him 10%+ more than the next highest paid guy.  But clearly, Adams and his agent aren't settling for second-best.

So I think I'd kick the tires, make an offer and let someone else blow up their cap on him.  The two teams at the top of the salary cap list right now are MIA and JAX, both of whom should be heavily interested.  CIN - no chance.  Chargers?  Maybe as that would be a great investment for Herbert.  Then there's NYJ.  I'm not sure any other team really has the cap to do it without a major amount of restructuring.  My money is on JAX with MIA as a close second.  But it *should* be LAC if they let Mike Williams walk.  

• Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, Untouchable said:

It’s possible, and like I said, I’d be all for it.

He’s arguably the best WR in the league and probably has at least 2-3 elite tier seasons left.

I just can’t see the powers that be going for it.

But I’d be glad to be proven wrong.

Yeah, this is how I view it too. Just doesn't seem like JD would make a move like that. At least not right now. But who knows. I would love to see it happen. I would also give JD some added flexibility in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's a fair question.  Hopkins is a clear outlier at $27M AAV vs. the next three at $22M (Julio), $20.25M (Keenan Allen) and $20M (Amari Cooper).  ARI created a real problem there but they had just traded for him and I guess he held them up for all that.

Problem is though, that Adams *is* the best WR in the league right now, but that's built on a foundation of catching passes from Rodgers.  Is he going to be the best WR in the NFL in his next team?  Maybe.  Hopkins is still killing it, but his TDs are down.  Is he worth $27M in ARI?  I guess looking at where they ended up, you might think not.  Is Adams going to turn into the WR version of Trumaine Johnson and just blame the QB for not being Rodgers?  Dunno.

If we were talking $25M, that would seem much more realistic.  Ignore the outlier and give  him 10%+ more than the next highest paid guy.  But clearly, Adams and his agent aren't settling for second-best.

So I think I'd kick the tires, make an offer and let someone else blow up their cap on him.  The two teams at the top of the salary cap list right now are MIA and JAX, both of whom should be heavily interested.  CIN - no chance.  Chargers?  Maybe as that would be a great investment for Herbert.  Then there's NYJ.  I'm not sure any other team really has the cap to do it without a major amount of restructuring.  My money is on JAX with MIA as a close second.  But it *should* be LAC if they let Mike Williams walk.  

all true ... but i agree with an earlier  poster ... you HAVE to discount his value based on playing with a Talent such as Rogers. Would he be the same player on the Jets ? I am hoping  and thinking that Joe D knows better than to bid against himself.

Edited by Dunnie

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

all true ... but i agree with an earlier  poster ... you HAVE to discount his value based on playing with a Talent such as Rogers. Would he be the same player on the Jets ?

Re-read my 2nd paragraph.  I fully agree with that.  A surfboard might be worth $500 in Los Angeles but what is it worth in Kansas City?  Value isn't absolute.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yes, Fant has been really good on the left side.  Unfortunately if the draft lines up with us taking a tackle (Cross/Ike) with one of our first round picks, then I'd trade him for another position of need.  

*Unless they plan on using Ike as a guard.

thats a bad plan.

Fant had one great year and is a FA after the season. your not getting much for him. 

your playing musical chairs with the LT position. your replacing one good guy who has proven he can play in the NFL with a hopefully good guy. in exchange for what? maybe a 3rd rd pick? or a player who wont be better than anyone we can draft and probably also be a FA after the year.

even if this draft isnt as good as others we at 4 and 10 will have the pick of the litter at a handful of positions of need.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans hate mike mccagnan, yet want joe Douglas to act just like him.

We will draft a receiver at 10 and not give one single thought to Adams, Ridley, Michael thomas etc.

And Jet fans will continue to ignore what coach and gm have told them 1 million times about building through the draft and keep opening threads of things that have 0 chances of happening.

I believe this to be partly false. The Jets will trade for Ridley or bring in a vet because it's important they know what they have in Zach and a rookie will delay the process. A lot of insiders feel as though a trade will happen for that reason alone and that there is no receiver as good as Ridley in this draft. I also believe they will draft a receiver, but not in the first round unless perhaps they move back or a deal can't be worked out for a vet in FA.

While Adams is a supremely talented WR, paying him $30M per year is insanity for the Jets.   You would be paying him for his past production on a Super Bowl caliber team with one of the best QB’s in league history.  You won’t be getting that kind of production from him with the Jets.  These type of signings rarely work out.  As much as I love having an alpha boundary receiver, I would take a hard pass at giving Adams that kind of money. 

Obviously you’re right, Zach isn’t going to combine for nearly the results a competent QB would with him. But the problem there wouldn’t be Adams….

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

While Adams is a supremely talented WR, paying him $30M per year is insanity for the Jets.   You would be paying him for his past production on a Super Bowl caliber team with one of the best QB’s in league history.  You won’t be getting that kind of production from him with the Jets.  These type of signings rarely work out.  As much as I love having an alpha boundary receiver, I would take a hard pass at giving Adams that kind of money. 

I know where you are coming from but recent history has shown guys thought of as 'iffy' qb prospects suddenly looked all world after their teams made bold moves to get them a true #1 guy.  Diggs and Hopkins made all he difference in the world to allen and murray.

With our fa history i'd rather over pay for a guy like adams that i really think is a total A grade player than paying for the type of guys we have shelved out money to in the past 5 years or so.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Franchise tag puts them at 68 million over the cap with 42 players under contract. 

I bet they tag him, he stays and and they get under the cap.

People need to stop with the dreaded cap. Any decent GM can maneuver out of a bad situation with a few moves and restructures.

37 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I believe this to be partly false. The Jets will trade for Ridley or bring in a vet because it's important they know what they have in Zach and a rookie will delay the process. A lot of insiders feel as though a trade will happen for that reason alone and that there is no receiver as good as Ridley in this draft. I also believe they will draft a receiver, but not in the first round unless perhaps they move back or a deal can't be worked out for a vet in FA.

i wouldn't touch Ridley. he left his team last year, whats to say it doesnt happen again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

I bet they tag him, he stays and and they get under the cap.

People need to stop with the dreaded cap. Any decent GM can maneuver out of a bad situation with a few moves and restructures.

We'll see. They just lost their first playoff game with Rodgers and Adams on the team. They may be starting a rebuild this year. Not sure you start that by franchise tagging a WR but they could.

I think you're underestimating the cap situation they're in.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I know where you are coming from but recent history has shown guys thought of as 'iffy' qb prospects suddenly looked all world after their teams made bold moves to get them a true #1 guy.  Diggs and Hopkins made all he difference in the world to allen and murray.

With our fa history i'd rather over pay for a guy like adams that i really think is a total A grade player than paying for the type of guys we have shelved out money to in the past 5 years or so.

The biggest issue would be is if Adams is willing to accept being on a bad team and trying to develop a very young QB.  Is he going to be all in with the development and being happy with games where he only has 3 receptions for 40 yards?   He’s going to have other options where he doesn’t have to break in a young QB and can win immediately.