Justified or no?

The point is why are there so many holes if JD was brought here as an expert team builder and obviously you address many of them in the draft. 

not going to go anywhere churning  unproven risks and letting proven players walk. 

that model essentially makes you a minor league farm team 

you take on the risk, develop players, and let the good ones move onto well run teams 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

The point is why are there so many holes if JD was brought here as an expert team builder and obviously you address many of them in the draft. 

Remember, it's a 10 year plan. You won't be so critical in 2030 when they move up to 3rd in the AFC East

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

not going to go anywhere churning  unproven risks and letting proven players walk. 

Hughes just said it. There’s still fallout from flushing down six years of draft from Macs years. You should have key depth pieces still here. Hit on a few that are your core starters. There’s none of that. 

• Sympathy 1

Connor Hughes is sh*t. The teams projected rookie class pool is actually around $19 million instead of $14 million.

Joe Douglas better have something good in mind otherwise what the hell has really separated him from Macc or Idzik thus far?

And people can say what they want about Woody, but at least he’s back with a proven track record of spending money to improve the team unlike his penny penching, totally incompetent brother.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

The front office definitely gave him this bs to put out. Jets will clear another $6mil in cap when they cut GVR and Griffen, cutting Rankins saves $6mil alone as well.  Lets just say they only cut GVR and Griffen we're at $55mil. $14mil to the rookies (I think that's wrong), $20mil for Cooper leaves them $21 mil to spend in free agency.  $21 mil would be enough to add some mid tier guys and we'd still have the our picks in the top 40. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Larz said:

JD invested a lot in Becton, Lawson and Mims and here we are considering investing in OT, Esge and WR. 

Fails to extend Berrios, Foley and Q.  

Q is the next one out the door, traded for the magical draft capital and cap space 

Hamster Running GIF

Becton and Lawson are TBD. I admit the first draft is rough. But Mac got 5 years and we have nothing to show for it. 

Lol not extending Berrios and Foley is upsetting? Extending average players to big deals because they’re the only thing that stands out on a poor roster gets you no where. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Becton and Lawson are TBD. I admit the first draft is rough. But Mac got 5 years and we have nothing to show for it. 

Lol not extending Berrios and Foley is upsetting? Extending average players to big deals because they’re the only thing that stands out on a poor roster gets you no where. 

Not upset. Just don’t want to be a farm team anymore 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

The front office definitely gave him this bs to put out. Jets will clear another $6mil in cap when they cut GVR and Griffen, cutting Rankins saves $6mil alone as well.  Lets just say they only cut GVR and Griffen we're at $55mil. $14mil to the rookies (I think that's wrong), $20mil for Cooper leaves them $21 mil to spend in free agency.  $21 mil would be enough to add some mid tier guys and we'd still have the our picks in the top 40. 

its 19 mil for the rookies but OTC has adjusted it to 14 mil to account for the guys they replace. 

i think 21 mil is not enough. we only have one QB on the roster. Flacco i guess would cost about 5 mil even though some of you want a better one that would cost more. and we need a 3rd one. do you want a scrub for the league min at 825k ? i think a 3rd one could cost us about 2-3 mil. so QB2 and QB3 will cost us around 8 mil. i dont think Mike White comes back for anything less then 2-3 mil if thats what we want for QB3.

you just cut our only TE. so now we need 3. we have no Kicker on the roster either. Fant needs and extension that might cost us 2-3 mil more and thats being generous.

the cap money will go fast.  

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

JD invested a lot in Becton, Lawson and Mims and here we are considering investing in OT, Esge and WR. 

Q is the next one out the door, traded for the magical draft capital and cap space 

Hamster Running GIF

They will re-sign Q.  Foley isn't a fit for this defense, letting him walk is the best option at this point since they didn't trade him last year.

I hope they sign Berrios, going to be pissed if they don't.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

its 19 mil for the rookies but OTC has adjusted it to 14 mil to account for the guys they replace. 

i think 21 mil is not enough. we only have one QB on the roster. Flacco i guess would cost about 5 mil even though some of you want a better one that would cost more. and we need a 3rd one. do you want a scrub for the league min at 825k ? i think a 3rd one could cost us about 2-3 mil. so QB2 and QB3 will cost us around 8 mil. i dont think Mike White comes back for anything less then 2-3 mil if thats what we want for QB3.

you just cut our only TE. so now we need 3. we have no Kicker on the roster either. Fant needs and extension that might cost us 2-3 mil more and thats being generous.

the cap money will go fast.  

Facts.

Cutting the only te on the team and rankins with no replacements lol I think in that case if jfm moves to dt then it’s only Q, JFM, and Marshall on the roster for dts. some real cap wizards we got here plus cutting gvr. Who are the TEs? Who are the dts? Who’s  the starting and backup guards? Who’s the backup qbs? Safeties? Linebackers??

Not a huge fan of Connor, but he’s right. All those mid round picks from previous years should be depth pieces, but they all sucked 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

Seriously, like it's any sort of "Hey our back's to the wall" requirement to retain the trio of GVR, Griffin, and Rankins at $12MM. GVR was signed to that money when he was in a competition for the starting job. He's only still here until his replacement is signed, whether that's LDT or Tomlinson or whomever. Citing LDT without acknowledging this is like counting the same cap hit twice. I'm concerned they may keep Rankins at that money, but even if they do it's a self-inflicted wound. 

Next, that 9-rookie pool may add $14MM but they'll simultaneously bump 9 players off the salary cap, which he's ignoring or he doesn't understand that's what happens. Even if they're all making the minimum, and no rookies bump anyone who makes any more than that, it's still at least another $8MM. They don't add $14MM in rookies and still keep everybody; the Jets don't carry a roster that's 9 players more than all the other teams. Adding 9 rookies deletes 9 others from the roster (and their 9 salaries with them). That'd make the net rookie pool $6MM, not $14MM.

Also still on the projected 2022 roster = the likes of Clark, Edoga, Perine, Ty Johnson, and Mims. Hardly far-fetched that zero of them will make the cut, and that's another $5MM+.

Hughes is either endeavoring into an area of football that's simply over his head, talking about things he doesn't understand; or he's participating a shell game, trading future access by doing the bidding of a GM who wants a public excuse if he doesn't sign this or that veteran this month. So just from the rookie pool to easy departures, he's already off by as much as some $20-25MM in terms of what the team's actually locked into. Not exactly a rounding error.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Facts.

Cutting the only te on the team and rankins with no replacements lol I think in that case if jfm moves to dt then it’s only Q, JFM, and Marshall on the roster for dts. some real cap wizards we got here plus cutting gvr. Who are the TEs? Who are the dts? Who’s  the starting and backup guards? Who’s the backup qbs? Safeties? Linebackers??

Not a huge fan of Connor, but he’s right. All those mid round picks from previous years should be depth pieces, but they all sucked 

He's not right. He's counting the same money twice.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Hamster Running GIF

Q hasn’t lived up to expectations, taking up the 5th year option is a good move and allows us to trade him next year.

Your right current we are like a minor league feeder team. Until we actually draft players of note, game changers we will just spin that wheel.

8 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

No. Not justified.

Nobody is saying we have fill all of those holes with free agents.

A 5th this year and a 6th next year for a 20 mil receiver that will instantly become the best weapon on the team is not 'irresponsible'.

With four picks in the top 38, you can knock out four of those needs right there, have traded for Cooper, signed a starting vet RG and a bunch of depth players.

I'm not even a huge Cooper fan, but after seeing the price, I'm pissed. Royally pissed

You think they’re going to go 4 for 4 on the first 4 picks and all of them will be good starters? They’d be lucky to get 2. Chances are they’ll get 1 good player, a jag and 2 bums. 

Hughes is right, we have holes all over the roster. 

But we don't need to bring in a top player for every position. It's ok to carry mediocre players in less valuable positions. Every successful team does that. And we don't need to address every need this year. It's ok to accept some positions may only be addressed next year. 

Realistically, we can probably sign two top players in free agency and we have four high draft picks in April. There's six starters that should come in and improve the team. I'd split those six players into three on offense and three on defense.

Which positions on offense do we need help the most? I'd say WR, RG and TE. When and how we address those position is largely irrevlant to me. At wide receiver, either sign Robinson or draft a guy at number 10. I don't care which. Either sign Scherff or Daniels or draft Ekwonu or Zion Johnson. We can't sign a TE or we'll need to draft one. 

Do the same with defense. Pick three positons you feel we need immediate help the most. We have more than three, so something will have to wait until next year. Edge? Sign Landry or draft your guy at 4 or 10. Corner? Carlton Davis or Sauce. Safety? Williams or a second round pick. 

If by the start of May we've added say, James Daniels, Garrett Wilson, Jeremy Ruckett, Quandre Diggs, Sauce Gardner and Boye Mafe (or similar type of players, names are interchangable really) to the roster then that is a successful off-season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Hughes’ tweet is gonna be hysterical when Douglas turns around and gives Brandon Scherff $18 million per for six games.

This 

These JD fanboys will believe any lie coming from the Jets propaganda machine. JD and Saleh are trying to build this team with last generations approach. It’s all about the QB now in this league and this dinosaur GM is completely clueless 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1