2022 Jets FA signings (Merged)

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Would like to see the details on the deal, but he's not a legit weapon.

Certainly an upgrade over what we had, but we still need weapons.

This guy with TE at 35/38 will be fine....

I think we will draft a TE in Round 2 or 3 

A young quarterback needs a reliable TE to provide that security blanket. Uzomah fits the bill for the Jets. On the flipside, Douglas has taken a few swings at veteran tight ends over the past couple of seasons and missed on each of them (apart from a cup of coffee from Ryan Griffin a couple of seasons ago). Hopefully Uzomah lives up to the contract.

Like Vacchiano said, all the top potential FA TEs got tagged... so Uzomah is as good as you were going to get this week.  He's apparently well respected in the locker room in Cincy, and had career highs in catches, yards and TDs last season.

You'd have all killed for a TE last season to basically go 50 catches / 500 yards with 5 TDs.  He'd have been tied for 1st in TDs and 2nd in yards for the Jets last season. 

Now draft one - or two - of the better TEs in the draft, and they may have themselves a TE corps.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't know a lot about him.  I assume we're paying him for his blocking ability.  Running game is clearly a focus for JD.

I think the Jets are absolutely prioritizing the rushing attack this year.  It's all about supporting the growth of Zach Wilson and helping Michael Carter reach his potential.  A Pro Bowl RG, a solid blocking TE, a familiar pass catcher in Berrios for Zach.  These are decent building blocks IMO.

Based on the money being thrown around with WRs in FA today I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets now pivot to the Draft to try to get a really talented WR.  There will be at least one (and possibly ALL) of the top WR prospects on the board at #10.  I think the Jets will add a middle-of-road veteran WR in free agency but probably not a splash guy.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

Uzomah finally got his chance to shine this season, but he failed to make the most out of his targets. The fifth-round pick out of Auburn earned just a 54.9 receiving grade and averaged only 1.00 yards per route run, which ranks 34th out of 40 qualifying tight ends. Uzomah has also struggled with drops throughout his young career, ranking inside the top-ten in drop rate each of the last three seasons. Uzomah has been decent as run blocker, earning a grade of 60.0 or higher in the last three years, but the former Auburn Tiger will likely be signed by a team looking to add depth behind their starter at the tight end position.

Pretty big contract for a depth guy with drop issues but hey he’s not Engram so there’s that 

This is not encouraging.

Let's see the contract details though.  Hopefully it's a one year guaranteed deal.  So whoever we take in the 2nd can take over as the full time starter.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the Jets are absolutely prioritizing the rushing attack this year.  It's all about supporting the growth of Zach Wilson and helping Michael Carter reach his potential.  A Pro Bowl RG, a solid blocking TE, a familiar pass catcher in Berrios for Zach.  These are decent building blocks IMO.

Based on the money being thrown around with WRs in FA today I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets now pivot to the Draft to try to get a really talented WR.  There will be at least one (and possibly ALL) of the top WR prospects on the board at #10.  I think the Jets will add a middle-of-road veteran WR in free agency but probably not a splash guy.

Yeah, as disappointed as I am in missing out on a top WR - it's not happening. And I get it.

Bringing back all the WR's in year two in the system, better running game, better ZW...Rookie WR and TE's to learn.  I'm good with the O right now.

I think we will make one more splash signing of a  CB/S and that'll be it.  Probably a couple of mid-level LB's (shore up the run D) and some role players.

27 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Connor hasn’t missed yet. But dudes swear he don’t know nothing. Douglas mouthpiece has been spot on.

IMO - They're going to go big on a DB and then they'll be done with the Splashes...I think Connor seems to share this sentiment from what I've seen from him.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Young TE’s are notoriously slow at adapting to the NFL.

Even if the Jets take a guy like McBride at the top of Round 2, I still doubt that he would overtake Uzomah as the Day 1 starter.

I like McBride, but this fanbase has duped themselves into thinking that he’s the next Jason Witten or something.

I think Uzomah would be an excellent complement to Ruckert as Ruckert is a high level blocker with athletic upside while Uzomah seems like more of a downfield WR. 

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Young TE’s are notoriously slow at adapting to the NFL.

Even if the Jets take a guy like McBride at the top of Round 2, I still doubt that he would overtake Uzomah as the Day 1 starter.

I like McBride, but this fanbase has duped themselves into thinking that he’s the next Jason Witten or something.

Yup...which is why this move makes total sense.

Fans seem to love McBride but there are a number of quality TE's in this draft - many "experts" have a couple of them ranked higher than McBride.  They'll probably all be there at 38.

• Upvote 2

Hard to get excited about this until you think about all the seasons of trash we have had at TE.

It is going to be nice to see an NFL calibre player suiting up for us at TE. I hope he is an ascending player but I think it is more realistic that he is what he is and that is not all that bad. Just having someone competent is going to help the offense by not being a drag to everyone else. Def will have to cover him, and he shake rattle roll some plays no doubt.

I like the signing. 

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

First 2 playoff games 6-64 with a TD and 7 for 71. 

He then sprained his MCL in the first half of the AFC championship game (0 catches) but gutted it out and played in the SB (2 catches).  

Disappeared??????

oh damn stats!!! haha 

in all seriousness, he is def NFL talented, and much better than what some teams field.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

Pay for potential not past performance. Same thought process with Berrios. 

Today was a good day for the Jets and the fans. 

Or just “pay for a good role player but don’t expect him to be that much more than that.”

• Upvote 3

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yup...which is why this move makes total sense.

Fans seem to love McBride but there are a number of quality TE's in this draft - many "experts" have a couple of them ranked higher than McBride.  They'll probably all be there at 38.

Agreed

It’s a very deep, rock solid class at the position but none of these dudes are 1st round worthy.

After reading the bengals Reddit about him they all praised his leadership and said he’s a fantastic culture guy. They love him as a person. Saleh and joe have said many times they want  great people in the building and this fits that mold. Should be a good influence on Zach and all of the other young guys. 

TEs generally aren’t great on their rookie contract for some reason. I think he’ll be a solid 1-2 punch with someone else 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Or just “pay for a good role player but don’t expect him to be that much more than that.”

Exactly

Uzomah is a solid inline blocker and a decent, big bodied target in the short/intermediate passing game.

As long as you’re not expecting 800 yards and 6-8 TD’s, you shouldn’t be disappointed.

But he’s in no way some sort of cornerstone piece of the future.

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Uzomah is a decent body that fills a hole on the roster. Based upon his past performance, I don't expect him to be a difference maker, so hopefully the team continues to look to upgrade the position. 

There are like 4/5 difference makers at tight end.  That was never going to happen for us in free agency. 

And once the cowboys decided to tag Schultz the next best option was a guy like Uzomah who is still a huge upgrade over every tight end we've had the last decade .

And I still think they draft a guy on the hopes of finding that rare difference maker. 

• Upvote 3