Running Back

BCJet

None of us were surprised to see JD pass on spending money in FA on a RB like Conner (good 2021 season, awful contract) but we also didnt bring in a veteran like Ronald Jones or a scheme fit guy like Mostert which was a bit surprising.  We also didnt wind up with a Coradelle Patterson type WR/RB nor do I see us paying Melvin Gordon or antoher vett. As it stands now our RB room is:

• Carter - starting RB, great find in the 4th round
  • Tevin Coleman - ok as the 3rd RB, cant be counted on for more then 150 touches and 12ish games
  • Ty Johnson - pretty much a disappointment last year and not good enough to be your 2nd RB
  • Austin Walter - unproven at best
  • Perrine - wont be on the team

As much as I dont think we spend a 2nd on someone like Spiller, I think its clear JD is going to be looking to the draft for a RB to pair with Carter.  Whether that is another higher round pick in the 3rd or a late 5th/6th there are going to be good RBs available in those rounds.

Personally I like Brian Robinson as he has little wear and tear, came from a pro-level program and can catch and pass protect but we really need to find someone to complement Carter as we dont want to be one injury away from Ty Johnson playing a prominent role on a regular basis.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Breece Hall is 6ft, 220lbs and runs in the 4.3s.  If he is there in round 2 and we pass on him Joe Douglas needs to have his head examined.

I personally prefer either James Cook or Isaiah Spiller but with RB's you never know. 

• Upvote 1

Melvin Gordon is 29 years old and remains unsigned. I doubt he breaks the bank. I’d very happily bring him or Sony Michel in before the draft to solidify the RB room. I also like Tevin Coleman better than most here (he’s the back I wanted when Mac signed Bell). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

I bet one of the top 5 picks the Jets have is on a RB

We needed a RB even more last year and still waited until the 4th round to take Carter. I do think the Jets will target RB in the draft, but I am guessing it will be around the same time as last year with one of our 2 picks in the 4th.  If Breece Hall falls to us in the 2nd round it may be too tempting to pass up, but after the first couple of guys there are a bunch of guys that could be there in the 4th that have the ability to compliment Carter. 

My personal favorite is Rachaad White. But he likely goes much earlier. Guys like Allgeier/Pierce and a bunch of others are solid gambles in that range. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Breece Hall is 6ft, 220lbs and runs in the 4.3s.  If he is there in round 2 and we pass on him Joe Douglas needs to have his head examined.

LOL I love Breece Hall but we are not taking a RB in the second round. We DESPERATELY needed a RB last year and we took one in Rd. 4. Now we just need a depth guy and we DEFINITELY won't be taking one early. Barring a trade down where we garner a bunch of extra picks, I would not be surprised at all if we pass on a RB in the draft and look to sign an UDFA instead. 

• Upvote 2

Guys I would favor is Rashaad White and Tyler Allgeier if they were to fall to the 4th round. Hall in the 2nd is tempting but it depends how the board falls. 

I like Robinson from Bama, however don't think he'll fit the system. 

Melvin Gordon would be a solid acquisition as he excels in inside zone plays (not so much outside). 

Jets were last in rushing attempts in 2021 with 385 carries. Meanwhile we're built like the Titans with lineman who are better suited as run blocking then pass blockers (except Fant). SF on the other hand finishes out as a top 5 run team.

32 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

I hope Jets draft Breece Hall in the 2nd round.  An athletic big back with 4.39 speed and very good receiving ability.  He would be an excellent complement to Michael Carter.  Jets would have a relentless 1-2 punch to help establish a strong running attack.  With Tevin Coleman as the solid #3 back.    

With the signings of TEs Uzomah-Conklin...and OG Laken Tomlinson...you can establish 12 man formations to run-pass with.  Taking pressure off of ZW.  And allowing him to utilize play action more effectively. 

Agreed!  Jet fans are crazy for receivers but if you have Hall/Carter running behind this offensive line, you dont need many receivers.  Davis, Moore and Berrios will be wide open all day with defenses trying to stop that running attack.

It would be a major mistake to pass on Breece Hall if he is there in the 2nd round.

• Upvote 2

jets have to draft a rb if they are going to be a "run first " team

coleman is beyond washed

Joe's guy perrine wont be on the roster

Carter has potential to be a complimentary back- but I dont think he can be a bell cow type of back and coleman is a waste of space

• Upvote 3

The best way that the Jets can add some wins over 4 is to establish a dominant running game.  Best running back at 3/4A probably does it.  The bigger backs tend to go earlier than the smaller quicker ones, which is why MC1 was available in the 4th.  I would not count on a complement being available there-I think we need to reach up a bit. 

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

1-cut and downhill. Shanny style.

We can find this type of player between rounds 3-7. Relax.

love how everybody thinks because our coach ran the niners d for a short period of time that we can duplicate their offense which is silly

* Shanny is not our coach

*we dont have 3 guys like the 9ers do with 1000+ receiving yards like they do in kittle BA and Deebo

*our defense is poor as well and we are often down big early so running our way back into games is not happening 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, varjet said:

The best way that the Jets can add some wins over 4 is to establish a dominant running game.  Best running back at 3/4A probably does it.  The bigger backs tend to go earlier than the smaller quicker ones, which is why MC1 was available in the 4th.  I would not count on a complement being available there-I think we need to reach up a bit. 

I think the overall premise of  your post could have its own thread.  Everyone is talking about the AFC arms race, getting WRs trying to keep pace with Russ, Herbert, Mahomes, etc and I think that is the wrong way to go about this.  Lets get another good RB to complement Carter and take advantage of our really good OL and draft to improve the defense and play with a lead for once in Zach's career.  

Rogers is an amazign QB but GB will be able to remain competitive even without their top WRs because of how good Aaron Jones is and they backed him up with a bruising RB to handle december and january carries once the weather turns.  Id love to see us pair a guy like Robinson with carter to be able to play smash mouth in December.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, varjet said:

This 100%?

• Upvote 1

maybe they draft an rb.  i just hope it's round 3 or later.  find more oline beef for depth or future replacement of soon to be expiring contracts.  the jets have been pretty successful pulling in running backs like ivory.  there may be some decent free agents out there.

18 hours ago, kmnj said:

love how everybody thinks because our coach ran the niners d for a short period of time that we can duplicate their offense which is silly

Even sillier since we're modeled more like the Green Bay-LaFleur offense, the 12 with a lot of two TE sets.  

But changes nothing given we need a RB either way.

I've seen Breece mocked to us in the 3rd and one in the 4th.  That would be a no brainer.  I would jump on him in the 3rd

On 3/29/2022 at 3:32 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think he has to have his head examined if he uses anything other than a day 3 pick on a RB.

Go watch Hall’s highlights.  He’s absurd.  if he’s there at 36 you run to the podium to take him.   He won’t be. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Go watch Hall’s highlights.  He’s absurd.  if he’s there at 36 you run to the podium to take him.   He won’t be. 

He will.

imo he’s wildly overrated by the “draft community”. Needs momentum to get going. He’s at best Leonard Fournette; the nfl version, not LSU. I doubt he sees a second contract with the team that drafts him. 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

How many top teams have RBs that were drafted early by that team and contributed to the team's success ?  How many recent SB winners have RBs that were drafted early by that team and contributed to the team's success?  It might be none.  It is not a winning formula in today's NFL.  

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Even sillier since we're modeled more like the Green Bay-LaFleur offense, the 12 with a lot of two TE sets.  

But changes nothing given we need a RB either way.

I've seen Breece mocked to us in the 3rd and one in the 4th.  That would be a no brainer.  I would jump on him in the 3rd

Agree.  Green Bay, Bengals, and Rams all value the RB position… not to mention teams that rely on similar principles.  If we can get a Aaron Jones/Dalvin Cook/ Joe Mixon/ Jonathan Taylor type player you do it… 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How many top teams have RBs that were drafted early by that team and contributed to the team's success ?  How many recent SB winners have RBs that were drafted early by that team and contributed to the team's success?  It might be none.  It is not a winning formula in today's NFL.  

Most of the playoff teams had a stud rb taken in the first two - three rounds of draft.  Helps you get to the playoffs, and helps the other parts of the offense gel for playoff runs.  49ers are more the exception than the rule.