Well this is disturbing if you want Pickens

Dcat

I was all in for Pickens in rd 2.  Just read this in the Athletic:

Which WR is the most boom-or-bust guy?

Scout 2: George Pickens. There’s a lot of upside, but he can’t get out of his own way. He’s been enabled his whole life.

WR Coach 3: Pickens. You love his game, but there’s some issues. Do you want to work with him? He’s a top-6 talent-wise, but it’s impossible not to add those other things. He has the size, has really good range. He positions his body on deep throws. He consistently beats press coverage. Has good start-stops with some AI (Allen Iverson) crossover in his game. A lot of the stuff in (Todd Monken’s) system translates to the NFL. But I wouldn’t touch him.

WR Coach 5 on Pickens: On tape, he is probably a top-5 wide receiver but there’s just so many red flags, and they’re big red flags. He’s got a lot of growing up to do. If he goes to the right place with a room full of veterans that help him go the right way, I think he’ll have a chance.”

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Overblown, and feels a little manufactured. WR coaches don't (in my experience,) typically take a stake in such issues. Pickens is an immature hot head -- that's not a secret. But there's no reports of him running purple syrup drug rings in the hood, credit card fraught, or brandishing mac-10s in the club. A strong locker room with a mentor - I would take a run at him if it made sense. 

• Upvote 3

I was really high on Pickens at the top of Round 2 vs WR at 10.  But taking him would almost certainly mean the end of Mims.  No way the CS is going to support having two WR projects to deal with.  And I'm not sure JD is prepared to cut Mims or trade him for a Round 7 lottery ticket quite yet.  If no trade for a proven talent, suspect he goes for a lower risk, higher floor guy IMO.

1 hour ago, slats said:

It wasn’t a problem for him in college, but the guy has tiny, 8 1/2” hands. That concerns me for a guy I’d want to be a big, reliable northeast WR. Jets can’t afford to draft a guy like this when they’re already trying to get Mims with the program. Any WR they bring in needs to be as clean as possible. I’m sure that’s a big reason why JD’s trying to get that done via trade. 

Agree.  And no one handed highlight catches likely to happen for sure.

23 minutes ago, slats said:

It wasn’t a problem for him in college, but the guy has tiny, 8 1/2” hands. That concerns me for a guy I’d want to be a big, reliable northeast WR. Jets can’t afford to draft a guy like this when they’re already trying to get Mims with the program. Any WR they bring in needs to be as clean as possible. I’m sure that’s a big reason why JD’s trying to get that done via trade. 

Drafting based on what Mims needs should be the last strategy. 

1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

Drafting based on what Mims needs should be the last strategy. 

It’s far more about Wilson’s needs. Mims becoming a contributor only helps him. Any WR brought in is here to help him, and help the entire WR room. 

33 minutes ago, slats said:

His hands are not concern for me.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

I've been polluting the universe with such clips and takes of Pickens being in the top 3 convo for a while -- but even i have to admit that the bad taste Mims left in Joe's mouth could definitely impact his appetite for another "high needs" WR. I think it's overblown, like i said, but why beg the situation is possibly the Jets stance on this one.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Probably why I said, “it wasn’t a problem for him in college, but… “ 

NFL football is a little bigger, too. I’m not taking him the board because of them, but it’s a factor. Also, playing in NJ in December is a little different than playing in Georgia in November. If he goes on to be successful as an NFL WR, he’ll be an outlier with those hands which are probably in the > 10th percentile range for the position. 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

"If he goes to the right place with a room full of veterans that help him go the right way, I think he’ll have a chance.”

If we draft him, Mims can show him where to buy a dog. 

adopt, don't purchase!

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

From Bob McGinn’s annual draft report this year on Go Long

9. GEORGE PICKENS, Georgia (6-3, 200, 4.51, 2-3): Third-year junior led the team in receiving as a freshman non-starter. Finished with 90 catches for 1,347 (15.0) and 14 TDs. “He’s not a speed guy like Olave but he does have enough speed to run the full route tree,” one scout said. “He make catches at the high point. He can develop into a No. 3 rotational starter. Kind of a boom-or-bust prospect. A lot of his issues come off the field. Work habits, how he’s going to fit on a team. His talent level is up there with guys in the second and third round but a lot of people have him further down because of his football makeup and personal character.” Was thrown out of one game and suspended. Removed from one team’s draft board because of off-field issues. “Very talented,” a second scout said. “There’s some boom or bust with him. The injury, and being sort of coddled at Georgia … there’s maybe some football character concerns.” Suffered a torn ACL in 2021 spring practice and missed the first 11 games of the Bulldogs’ title season. “He’s got great ball skills,” a third scout said. “I wouldn’t take him in the second. He’s got a big ego. He’s not a bad guy.” A fourth scout said Pickens was his top-rated receiver coming off 2020 tape. “I kind of squashed him a little bit,” said a fifth scout. “He’s got talent, a sh*tload of talent. But Georgia receivers never pan out.” From Hoover, Ala.

53 minutes ago, C Mart said:

“I kind of squashed him a little bit,” said a fifth scout. “He’s got talent, a sh*tload of talent. But Georgia receivers never pan out.” From Hoover, Ala.

AJ Green.  Mecole Hardiman.  Isaiah McKenzie.  Chris Conley.  And Hines Ward waving from the sidelines.

Pickens red flags are very much real.  The immaturity was a problem for the Bulldogs on several occassions.  

The one thing I will say is he was very quiet during his rehab.  

Personally, would love to see him in green and white, but I worry that NY is the wrong market for him.  Bright lights, big city + immaturity = high risk of problems.

• Upvote 2