Ravens @ Jets week 1

So who is our "cover the TE" guy?  We used to have Antonio Allen who always seemed to shut down the best opposing TE.  Do we have that guy on this team?  Joyner and Whitehead are small.  Davis is 6'1" but...well...he's Davis.  Maybe one of the tweener LBs?

19 hours ago, slimjasi said:

You gotta let Adam go, fam

he was never going to work out here. 

Saleh sucking has nothing to do with Gase sucking. 

Blasphemy 

I always said if JD and zach turn into dudes then Gase is a NYJ legend because without him we wouldn’t have either 

JD so far has shown to be a dude and I believe in Zach so, so far Gase is goated in my book ?‍♂️

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, Jetlife33 said:

Ravens strength is the run game, which happens to be the Jets weakness. Add in Lamar and Baltimore’s defense and this is a tough week 1 draw. With that said we are home and the stadium will be rocking. Regardless of the outcome it will be a good test to see where we are, play a competitive game. 

Last year's weakness. This isn't the 2021 schedule. New year, new team...better team. 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:28 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Ravens are very easy to game plan against.  Load the box to stop the run and cover Mark Andrews.

Do that and they can barely move the ball.

This right here is why BAL is the most overrated team in the league. If Saleh can't coach his defense to do this, then he isn't worth his salt. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

This right here is why BAL is the most overrated team in the league. If Saleh can't coach his defense to do this, then he isn't worth his salt. 

Some comments in the thread seem to suggest that not having good WRs is a positive 

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Their WR room doesn’t have that deep threat now that Hollywood is gone and Bateman is now their #1. Meh!

The Ravens OL has taken a step back in the last 2 years. Staley coming off an injury, Skura, Bozeman and Brown gone. Short armed rookie Linderman at Center ( OK Q, time to step up with JFM and Rankins & dominate)

Dobbins and Edwards coming back from injury. 
Defense has improved with Hamilton and T. Jones as depth  LB corp plus Campbell is formidable  and top notch DB players  

Our run game will need to grind out yards as the box will be stacked . 12 personnel / max protect formations to get us started. Zach will need to make some early completions to open up the run game  

I know we’ll be heavy underdogs but if Jackson can be kept in the pocket, and pressure up the gut,  then our chances improve greatly  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/bal

Main issue will be containing Jackson. If the defense does’t it may be a long game.

36 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah it’s really amazing how anyone can doubt the Jets given how dominant they’ve been for the last decade.

So I'll put you in the camp that thinks the order of the games is significant enough to whine about on the internet.  The whining in this thread is excessive...  all about the order in which the 17 games we will play.  

Yes that just screams an evaluation based on Jets past domination or lack thereof.    But hey... enjoy the thread.  It's a perfect fit for SOJF.

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So I'll put you in the camp that thinks the order of the games is significant enough to whine about on the internet.  The whining in this thread is excessive...  all about the order in which the 17 games we will play.  

Yes that just screams an evaluation based on Jets past domination or lack thereof.    But hey... enjoy the thread.  It's a perfect fit for SOJF.

Whining lol. Stop being so dramatic.

People having a less blindly optimistic view of the season to you isn’t whining. The Jets have a tough start to the season.

It could be rough viewing and based on everything we’ve seen on the field in the last 10 years there’s not a lot to suggest it wont be.

32 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Whining lol. Stop being so dramatic.

People having a less blindly optimistic view of the season to you isn’t whining. The Jets have a tough start to the season.

It could be rough viewing and based on everything we’ve seen on the field in the last 10 years there’s not a lot to suggest it wont be.

"Waaah".. " I don't like the schedule"  

And as for your daily redundant negativity (without any added humor, mind you): it is both predictable and boring.  

Waaaaah.... I don't like the schedule....  it's too hard.....  rearrange the 17 games.... waaaaaah

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

IMO, the real concern with playing Baltimore right out of the gate is that they’re an unbelievably physical team that leaves every roster they play against beaten and bloodied with multiple guys going on IR afterward. This Jets team desperately needs a confidence building game, and the Ravens are the wrong team to play in Week One if you’re looking for that. Look at their season opener recent history::

2018: Crushed the Bills 47-3

2019: Eviscerated the Dolphins 59-10

2020: Clowned the Browns 38-6

2021: Got nicked by the Raiders in OT 27-33 (in that weird game where the Raiders scored three TDs in the fourth and Daniel Carlson nailed a 55 yarder to send it to OT, where the Ravens left Zay Jones wide open for the winning TD)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the real concern with playing Baltimore right out of the gate is that they’re an unbelievably physical team that leaves every roster they play against beaten and bloodied with multiple guys going on IR afterward. This Jets team desperately needs a confidence building game, and the Ravens are the wrong team to play in Week One if you’re looking for that. Look at their season opener recent history::

2021: Got nicked by the Raiders in OT 27-33 (in that weird game where the Raiders scored three TDs in the fourth and Daniel Carlson nailed a 55 yarder to send it to OT, where the Ravens left Zay Jones wide open for the winning TD)

sorry, the worst one was opening day at MetLife in 2010.  10-9  They beat the snot out of the Jets offense.  Time to stop.  Saleh has the weapons to win. If they cant do it to a receiverless team with hobbled RBs coming off injury, then we don't deserve playoffs. 

Fact: The 2018 Ravens were better  (roster-wise) than they are now.  
Fact: The 2018 Bills sucked.  6-10
Fact: The 2019 Ravens were elite. 14-2. The current team is a fragment of that.
Fact: The 2019 Dolphins were worse than the Jets, a  very bad 5-11, last place team.
Fact: The 2020 Ravens were better than the current team.  Good win against Baker in week 1, there.
And here is the most important Fact: The 2021 Ravens finished in last place in their division, behind the Browns Steelers and Bengals.  They were only a shadow of what they were in 2019.  

Fact: Fear of the overrated Ravens in this thread is as pussyish as it gets. I admire your attempt to perpetuate it. Knock yourself out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

This is a game where it basically depends if Zach improves his quick throw accuracy by a wide margin. Moore and Berrios should be the vocal points with 4 wr sets or 3 wrs and 1 te. Short shifty wr's against taller cb's and safetys (Moore 5 10, Berrios 5 9, Cb's for Ravens: Peters 6 0,  Humphrey 6 0, Clark 6 0, Hamilton 6 4, Jefferson 5 11). 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Why is that weird?  Is it weird when the Jets give up 3 in the fourth?  I think that’s called shetting the bed. 

That game was on the road , where this one will be.  

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

sorry, the worst one was opening day at MetLife in 2010.  10-9  They beat the snot out of the Jets offense.  Time to stop.  Saleh has the weapons to win. If they cant do it to a receiverless team with hobbled RBs coming off injury, then we don't deserve playoffs. 

Fact: The 2018 Ravens were better  (roster-wise) than they are now.  
Fact: The 2018 Bills sucked.  6-10
Fact: The 2019 Ravens were elite. 14-2. The current team is a fragment of that.
Fact: The 2019 Dolphins were worse than the Jets, a  very bad 5-11, last place team.
Fact: The 2020 Ravens were better than the current team.  Good win against Baker in week 1, there.
And here is the most important Fact: The 2021 Ravens finished in last place in their division, behind the Browns Steelers and Bengals.  They were only a shadow of what they were in 2019.  

Fact: Fear of the overrated Ravens in this thread is as pussyish as it gets. I admire your attempt to perpetuate it. Knock yourself out. 

You  missed one.

Fact: Lamar Jackson is not the same QB he was in 2019, performance deteriorating each of the last two years.  QB rating was 23rd in the league last year.  Int % was 3rd highest.  Sack % 4th highest.  He was very good late in games, with 4 4th quarter game winning drives, so he is still dangerous, but not nearly the same guy who won the MVP in 2019.  He can be beaten.

image.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Don't worry I'm hoping I'm dead wrong. Sadly, I'm probably not.

JetNation has become a home for pusses.  Ravens finished in LAST PLACE in the AFC North last year, ending the season with six straight losses. 

You vastly overrate this Ravens team.  They are tough, but they are from NFL elite.  Dobbins and Bus Edwards are coming off serious injury (so they signed Mike Davis and drafted a late round RB).  Oooooh so scary.  :rolleyes: We have a much better WR group than they do.  Lamar Jackson can throw only to Mark Andrews and possibly Bateman... everyone else stinks. Jackson running around and Andrews are basically their only offensive weapons.  The OL has had a step backwards over the past couple of seasons.    They may be better than the Jets, but this game is no slam dunk as you all claim.  It's a matter of containing Jackson and not letting him toss TDs to Mark Andrews.  

On the other side of the ball, the Ravens defense is pretty good, but in no way elite.  They are defeatable.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

JetNation has become a home for pusses.  Ravens finished in LAST PLACE in the AFC North last year, ending the season with six straight losses. 

You vastly overrate this Ravens team.  They are tough, but they are from NFL elite.  Dobbins and Bus Edwards are coming off serious injury (so they signed Mike Davis and drafted a late round RB).  Oooooh so scary.  :rolleyes: We have a much better WR group than they do.  Lamar Jackson can throw only to Mark Andrews and possibly Bateman... everyone else stinks. Jackson running around and Andrews are basically their only offensive weapons.  The OL has had a step backwards over the past couple of seasons.    They may be better than the Jets, but this game is no slam dunk as you all claim.  It's a matter of containing Jackson and not letting him toss TDs to Mark Andrews.  

On the other side of the ball, the Ravens defense is pretty good, but in no way elite.  They are defeatable.  

All good points. The Ravens are not in good shape at this point, although their draft was solid and will position them better with time. They're a more mature team re coaching and comfort with schemes, which cannot be dismissed. The stats on LJ posted above are alarming. He is indeed on a burnout course. But the Jets, while much improved in talent, are a very young team still adjusting to a fairly new system. Can they beat the Ravens? Absolutely. Will they? Odds slightly favor the Ravens, IMHO, but not due to relative talent of rosters. If the Jets come out with a conservative game plan (i.e., over-reliance on the run game) they will likely lose. They have to be aggressive and avoid a predictable one-dimensional game plan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Not for anything, but this is the type of game the Jets have to start winning. The Ravens are a yearly contender who are in decline. I believe the Jets have the horses to win, but I think it will ultimately come down to Harbaugh vs Saleh. 

The time has come to start beating beatable or slightly-unbeatable teams. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/15/2022 at 1:35 AM, Dcat said:

"Waaah".. " I don't like the schedule"  

And as for your daily redundant negativity (without any added humor, mind you): it is both predictable and boring.  

Waaaaah.... I don't like the schedule....  it's too hard.....  rearrange the 17 games.... waaaaaah

I literally laughed out loud reading this.

Go do something else my guy. You take the internet too seriously. 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Said it before, and once again.   If Wilson turns out to be anything approximating a franchise QB, the Jets can and should win this game and will win as many as 10 games in 2022.

If Wilson flops, the Jets will win win 6 games tops. 

The Jets offensive manpower is very well appointed now.  Especially, if Becton's demise was BS.  

The defensive roster is not studly, but they do have the horses to keep most every offense to 21 points.   Given that, if Wilson works out, they can outscore most teams.

2022 is all Wilson.  wilson, Wilson, WILSON.  

Good QB = Good team regardless.   Lame QB = Lame team regardless.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:16 PM, nycdan said:

So who is our "cover the TE" guy?  We used to have Antonio Allen who always seemed to shut down the best opposing TE.  Do we have that guy on this team?  Joyner and Whitehead are small.  Davis is 6'1" but...well...he's Davis.  Maybe one of the tweener LBs?

I was thinking of that.. Don't the Ravens have that great TE that Lamar loves to throw to? We never stop the tight end.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:16 PM, nycdan said:

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

I was thinking of that.. Don't the Ravens have that great TE that Lamar loves to throw to? We never stop the tight end.

Literally the entire defense is designed for that.  We have a completely different defense.  Antonio Allen was three DCs ago.  I guess he played 8 snaps for Bowles D in 2016, but he missed 2015 and in 2014 he played CB.  They haven't extensively played that matching up thing in years.  When they had Antonio Allen is when the D couldn't stop the TE.  Last year they didn't stop anybody.  They added some bodies, but literally the entire D is packed with guys that should be able to fill that role.