JOE IS IN!!!: Klecko is 1 of 3 Sr Nominees for the Hall

Lith

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He lives by my sisters place in NJ, I’ve seen him shopping at the Italian Deli close by and he’s extremely nice

I met him ages ago, during his playing days.  At his bar, Klecko's in Rockville Centre.  Friend of mine was a bartender there.  We were hanging out one night when Joe was there and my buddy introduced us.  He was a really nice guy.  Great player on the field and a nice guy off of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I know Joe De Lamelliure, Bills lineman personally, was invited to his HOF ceremony.  I have thanked him countless lo for his very vocal support of Joe Klecko!!!!!

Sadly, Joe D. is apparently suffering from dementia/suspected CTE. Hope he can still understand Joe is getting in and can attend. He was always a strong supporter of Joe K. getting inducted.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Sadly, Joe D. is apparently suffering from dementia/suspected CTE. Hope he can still understand Joe is getting in and can attend. He was always a strong supporter of Joe K. getting inducted.

I saw him just a few months ago and would tell you while he is a HUGE advocate of CTE, speaks out about it, he still carries himself well although he suffers from CTE.  He spoke well and seemed fine. But yes, what you say is fairly accurate and sad.  Him getting in the HOF changed his life. He gets speaking engagements, is flown up to Bills games and speaks to groups and of course is paid etc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I still remember Joe's breakout game as a rookie in 1977. Those were the Shea Stadium years when the Jets were beyond terrible and never sold out games, and all their home games were blacked out on TV. It was radio only, but at least Marty Glickman was a great radio announcer. I don't remember who they were playing in this particular game, but all I remember is the Jets getting a sack and Glickman needing a few moments to figure out did it (probably because the Jets never sacked anyone). He finally figured out it was this backup named Joe Klecko. Then, a few plays later, the Jets sacked the QB again. "It's Joe Klecko!" Glickman yelled. A star was born. Like Jets stars of later generations, he was betrayed by the team's lack of a QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

I met him ages ago, during his playing days.  At his bar, Klecko's in Rockville Centre.  Friend of mine was a bartender there.  We were hanging out one night when Joe was there and my buddy introduced us.  He was a really nice guy.  Great player on the field and a nice guy off of it.

I saw him once in the stands attending a Jets game at the old Giants Stadium. I said hi Joe and he smiled waved and said hello. Was very nice and pleasant unlike most of the star jerks these days. 

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I know Joe De Lamelliure, Bills lineman personally, was invited to his HOF ceremony.  I have thanked him countlessy for his very vocal support of Joe Klecko!!!!! I Play golf with his son in law on occasion. We are members of same club.

As great as De Lamelliure was I’ll go you one better, maybe the greatest LT of All Time John Hannah had this to say about Joe Klecko, which makes one understand that shutting Klecko out of the Hall of Fame for ALL these years was beyond criminal.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, AZSOJ said:

The SACK Exchange... whomever saw it will never forget the ferocity and strength of Joe, Marks uncanny speed, Salam and Lyons clogging the middle... it was a work of ART!

Joe should have been in years ago... 

I remember when they went to Wall streat to ring the opening bell.  It was great PR for the team.  Great nickname I still call the NY Stock exchange the NY Sack exchange in honor of my stock portfolio, Lyons, Gastineau, Klecko and the Soldier of Peace, Abdul Salaam   

• Upvote 3

On 8/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, billo83 said:

I saw him once in the stands attending a Jets game at the old Giants Stadium. I said hi Joe and he smiled waved and said hello. Was very nice and pleasant unlike most of the star jerks these days. 

There was a game in the late 90's when he was sitting with his buddies in my section, 123, in the East endzone.  I was in row 24 and he was about 8 rows behind.  Here's what's left of my unwashed Jets sweatshirt he signed there:

klecko.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

There was a game in the late 90's when he was sitting with his buddies in my section, 123, in the East endzone.  I was in row 24 and he was about 8 rows behind.  Here's what's left of my unwashed Jets sweatshirt he signed there:

klecko.jpg

Lol, cool!

So about 11 years ago my daughter married a Giants fan and i made a gag video for them.  I showed my GF simply to put in context how important Klecko was for fans over 50….  I chose him to use in this video.  It’s a funny video  to watch the whole thing but FF to 1:30 to hear my Klecko reference.  I could have used any Jet but chose Klecko. Crotchety reference was because  my daughter went to NC State right after Cotch left and she has his jersey.