Mims requested a Trade

2 hours ago, jgb said:

If you can't build it, buy it. FQBs are switching teams more and more. If BYU busts, we need a 2-prong approach. Play the draft lottery if you feel good about someone, but also bring in a legitimate veteran.

This does have to be the next move...except I think the ideal course of action would be to trade away big time assets to get the best QB they can.  Another QB lottery ticket may have to wait a year.

If you can grab a FA sure, but - IMO - what you hope for is one of these disgruntled - already FQB's -that you can trade a couple of 1's for.

I honestly don't know who that is but that would be ideal.  

I think the Jets have enough talent right now (at least on paper) to attract either a quality FA or top tradable QB on the market.

Lastly, I will say, I think if you don't feel really confident Wilson's the guy after this year you have to make a move.

This team has a window right now with the young talent on first contracts.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im not ready to say 2022 is a bust.  BUT we as fans have set the mark at what??? 6-7 wins??  Name ONE organization that is successful that believes 6-7 wins is a success.  The acceptance of less than mediocrity by this fan base is numbing.

Look at all the kool aid drinkers who bought Darnold jerseys, Wilson jerseys before they even through a pass. 

They are just simple passionate fans and they down vote guys like us who see the reality.  We are a bottom 3 team. It's VERY simple.

Woody is the constant.

Every winning organization in year 2 of their ground up rebuild would think that is a successful season.  I mean, have some awareness about where we are as an organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

“Studies have shown”?

Which ones?

Yeah, I'm also skeptical but I let it go, perhaps uncharacteristically.

The problem is that the QB is so unbelievably important to a team's offense that changing QBs can make the entire offense look and feel completely different. Bad can become good, good can become bad, and everything in between. 

Many (most?) of us here feel that the Jets have amassed at minimum an NFL-acceptable level of talent on the offensive side of the ball. To be brutally-honest, we won't know what we have until we see competent QB play. If you have a chance to get a FQB in his prime at a reasonable cost relative to his expected impact, you do it. You don't wait for everything to be perfectly aligned which, again, is a bit of a Catch-22 because it's very difficult to evaluate an offense and judge it “ready for a FQB,” with bottom-league QB play.

Put another way, GB has, by many accounts a very bad receiving corps this year. How many people really think that Aaron Rodgers is going to look like a bad (or even mediocre) QB this year? Sure his numbers will almost certainly drop (although Watson’s WENT UP when Bill O’Brien stripped the Texans around him) but he's not going to throw for 3,400 yards 14 TDs/12 INTs all the sudden.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

A true businessman would NEVER have turned a 4-5 billion dollar asset over to his unaccomplished brother.

Saleh looks shaky.... JD looks average at best until we turn the corner.

Do you know what the ownership details are? I'm sure there is language in the agreement dealing with survivorship, and incapacitation, etc. I would think that there is something in place allowing Chris to take control if Woody is not able to. I can't blame Woody for taking a once in a lifetime opportunity to become an ambassador. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, billo83 said:

Do you know what the ownership details are? I'm sure there is language in the agreement dealing with survivorship, and incapacitation, etc. I would think that there is something in place allowing Chris to take control if Woody is not able to. I can't blame Woody for taking a once in a lifetime opportunity to become an ambassador. 

I agree. Also let’s be honest, from a business/profit perspective, NFL teams basically run themselves. It’s impossible to lose. Winning football games? Different story but there was zero risk of the Jets depreciating because of anything Chris did or did not do.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No he wont.  Joe D told told Mimsy team he will not be released.  Mimsy is wr5 or will be traded.  Those are the only 2 options.

JD also told Jamal he had no plans to trade him and he was definatly in the Jets future.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I have no problem with people drinking the kool aid. It's their pack-like takedown of those who don't that is ridiculous since the evidence is plainly, indisputably on our side.

Just on JD.

While JD's first draft is an unmitigated disaster (there's really no way to see it otherwise) he has shown competence.   While that eventually might not be enough, it's far better than we've had in a long time.

He has a plan, has mostly brought in quality free agents, with smart contracts (not being locked up for big money long term) and his s

He seems to get value in the draft etc.  

I think moving on from JD would be a mistake.  The draft is a crap shoot, but his strategy seems sound.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Just on JD.

While JD's first draft is an unmitigated disaster (there's really no way to see it otherwise) he has shown competence.   While that eventually might not be enough, it's far better than we've had in a long time.

He has a plan, has mostly brought in quality free agents, with smart contracts (not being locked up for big money long term) and his s

He seems to get value in the draft etc.  

I think moving on from JD would be a mistake.  The draft is a crap shoot, but his strategy seems sound.  

I’ve been harsh on JD in the past but I also agree. He had some rookie mistakes but seems to have largely learned from them. Saleh’s turn.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Trotter said:

JD also told Jamal he had no plans to trade him and he was definatly in the Jets future.

2 different situations.  Mimsy has value.  They are not going to release him.  Joe D could be conducting a bidding war for Mimsy behind the scenes for all we know.  You dont cut guys that have trade value.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 different situations.  Mimsy has value.  They are not going to release him.  Joe D could be conducting a bidding war for Mimsy behind the scenes for all we know.  You dont cut guys that have trade value.

Thank you sir.

You provided me a laugh that I really needed this morning.

32 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Why request a trade? You’ll be a FA next week. 

He requested that they trade or release him.  Seems like a very reasonable request.  The Jets staff hasn't been able to develop him and clearly don't like that he hasn't bought into camp positive vibes after working like a dog to get himself ready to play as both a WR and on special teams.  If the Jets are going to put him on the shelf it's a low class act.  Either trade him or release him..

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No he wont.  Joe D told told Mimsy team he will not be released.  Mimsy is wr5 or will be traded.  Those are the only 2 options.

I don't agree with you on this.  In my company, Mims would be viewed as "an onboard terrorist".  That is what we called someone who is capable of doing his or her job very well, but is a cancer in that they spew negativism throughout the company, and try to destroy morale within the company.  

Mims played with no heart last year, and in my opinion didn't put forth the effort to succeed.  I think he was thinking that the team would just let him go.  Mims came to this year thinking that if he shows something and works hard, maybe he will be traded, or if let go, will be able to attach himself to another NFL organization. 

I think that was his goal before the preseason even started.  The Jets want players with positive attitudes, trying to build something here.  Forcibly holding onto Mims would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face.  No-one will trade for Mims, unless it's a 7th round pick if anything.  He will either be traded, or he will be let go.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He doesn’t have much value.  He’s going into year 3 and couldn’t crack the rotation on a team that has had a bottom 5 wr corps.  He was very raw coming out of college and hasn’t made the transition to the nfl.  If someone wants to try to turn it around with him, let them.  Take the draft pick.  He’s not playing for the jets. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, varjet said:

The most disturbing part about the trade request is the statement that JD said he would not release him.    So we are going to cut someone good to keep Mims to save face?

Just auction him off.  We can’t Have him end up on the Ravens or Browns and have Mims beat us.  JD would get fired.  That is why you trade him.  That is why the 49ers are trying to trade JG-so he does not end up on the Seahawks too early. 

You are right, JD should say - we are cutting this guy so don't bother trading for him. Even if plans on showing him the door, he would say that.

Also, I know a lot of people hate this kid, but he still has potential. Is it likely he will realize it especially here, I doubt it, but he is cheap and has been improving. He isn't a good fit, but what if we lost a couple of players to injury (I sure hope not). JD could feel that unless he gets something a value, might as well hold on to him for insurance. He is cheap and is now playing special teams.

My guess is that he is gone, but I can see holding on to him. Fans on this board have a way of over valuing some players (could we put other WRs on practice squad safely?) and under valuing the ones they dislike. Maybe JD is either posturing for a trade or actually values him more than other WRs. He has released other draft picks before, maybe it isn't about saving face.

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He doesn’t have much value.  He’s going into year 3 and couldn’t crack the rotation on a team that has had a bottom 5 wr corps.  He was very raw coming out of college and hasn’t made the transition to the nfl.  If someone wants to try to turn it around with him, let them.  Take the draft pick.  He’s not playing for the jets. 

4th for Herndon who didn't have the measurables and had a little promise and got worse over time. While Mims has slid down the WR depth chart, he has the measurables, and has been putting in the work. The reason he continues to slide down the depth chart is that the WR corp has gotten better. Some teams may be willing to trade for a #4/5 WR that can play special teams.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, maury77 said:

We need to start seeing signs soon that this won't be the case. Wilson needs to show us something legitimate this year. I'd like to get to a point where most of us on the board are confident that we have a very good qb instead of the debates we engage in here on a daily basis. This gets old.  

Agreed. I’m afraid Wilson is going to better this year, but not to the point that we’re all confident he’s our guy. Salah has said multiple times that you have to give a player up to three years to see what he is.

Meaning, we’re all going to be in Zach Wilson Unknown Hell into next season.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Every winning organization in year 2 of their ground up rebuild would think that is a successful season.  I mean, have some awareness about where we are as an organization.

4-13

2-14

7-9

This is at least year three of the rebuild.  Yeah 2 AG. (after gase).

If this team wins less than 8 games this is a failure.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't agree with you on this.  In my company, Mims would be viewed as "an onboard terrorist".  That is what we called someone who is capable of doing his or her job very well, but is a cancer in that they spew negativism throughout the company, and try to destroy morale within the company.  

Mims played with no heart last year, and in my opinion didn't put forth the effort to succeed.  I think he was thinking that the team would just let him go.  Mims came to this year thinking that if he shows something and works hard, maybe he will be traded, or if let go, will be able to attach himself to another NFL organization. 

I think that was his goal before the preseason even started.  The Jets want players with positive attitudes, trying to build something here.  Forcibly holding onto Mims would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face.  No-one will trade for Mims, unless it's a 7th round pick if anything.  He will either be traded, or he will be let go.

I think this is exactly it.  In the modern NFL, the players have more power-even the bad ones.  

I think Mims has been gaming this situation all year, if not all last year.  He is a bad apple.  He looked like a bad apple on his draft call.   I think we are better off keeping a player like Charles and/or Cager than Mims.  JD is trying to avoid looking bad by just cutting him (particularly if he turns out to be a good player).  I think he should take a 7th round pick from any team not on the Jets’ schedule in 2022.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Alka said:

Except like 99% of people have options if they are miserable at a job because they don’t have a fixed-term employment contract. The only way these guys can get out is to convince their employer to let them out.

3 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

No but it shows that the Jets organization doesn't have consistency and they have fired many HCs that have won the superbowl after being on the jets... Hence giving up on them too soon... 

It exactly relates to your point but you do you

"many?"

Pete Carroll? Who else?

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Great organizations aren't great because they don't fire people. They are great because they hire the right people to begin with.

You are conflating correlation and causation.

I’m not confused.  Great orgs find someone to be their HC and recognize that in his first season they had absolutely nothing to work with and no one would have done anything with the roster.  They don’t make the HC a scape goat and fire him immediately.  

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Also, Slavin said all the right things here. Fresh to hear an agent sound like a professional instead of Bennie from Quenns screaming that the Yankees need to fire Boone.

Yes, the agent did say all the right things, but I wonder if it was sincere or if this was just a giant plot to get Mims out of Florham Park.  

28 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Agreed. I’m afraid Wilson is going to better this year, but not to the point that we’re all confident he’s our guy. Salah has said multiple times that you have to give a player up to three years to see what he is.

Meaning, we’re all going to be in Zach Wilson Unknown Hell into next season.  

Brian Billick said it takes 36 games before you really know what you have in a QB. But many here want to jettison Zach now. It is flatly idiotic.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think this is exactly it.  In the modern NFL, the players have more power-even the bad ones.  

I think Mims has been gaming this situation all year, if not all last year.  He is a bad apple.  He looked like a bad apple on his draft call.   I think we are better off keeping a player like Charles and/or Cager than Mims.  JD is trying to avoid looking bad by just cutting him (particularly if he turns out to be a good player).  I think he should take a 7th round pick from any team not on the Jets’ schedule in 2022.

if a team offers up a pick I think you are correct with a 7th rounder. Outside chance that it is a 6th.

Now JD is the wildcard here - if he pulls off magic beyond this - then i raise my shot glass and salute Don JD. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

There are numerous companies that have talented people where management doesn't have the time or inclination to develop the talent and instead of recoginizing they can't train people at low pay and pay people who can already do the job they blame the employee.   The fault usually falls on management who make excuses like they weren't positive enough or can't get along or blah, blah, blah.

NFL GM's don't draft players in a vacuum.  Companies don't hire employees in a vacuum. They have reems of data, interviews, combines, HR departments, background checks, coaches to speak with, etc., etc., etc.  NFL teams will have players with all kinds of personalalities which management has to deal with and turn into a winning team.  

These excuses of blaming a young player or employee of destroying the organization is in most casses ass backwards.