Mitchell will be back this year

Lurker89

• I was thinking before the game yesterday that Mitchell would never hold up this entire season.  The knock on him was that he needed more time to physically develop.  
  • But here we go again with the Jets' doctors.  Return in a few weeks after a knee dislocation?
  • Sympathy 1

If he goes on IR, we could see Duane Brown being activated as the corresponding move.  If Brown isn't ready, they might add Grant Hermanns who is out of "free" practice squad call up or add someone at another position and use their game day practice squad activation on Mike Remmers

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

AVT being a swiss army knife has bailed us out so far. Maybe Brown back this week for some reinforcements?

Yeah,  got the sense that he will be good to go this week. They made it seem as if they were being extra cautious with the ir move..... or maybe just wishful thinking

Id imagine he gets moved to IR and Duane Brown is activated.  This gives us a few options for OL on Sunday.

1.  Brown is healthy enough to start at LT.  We move AVT back to RG and use Cedric Ogbuehi at RT. 

(Ogbuehi has been mostly a RT the past few seasons, is athletic and better in the run game then as a pass protector.  He isnt very strong and is very succeptible to bull rushes.  Miami runs a 3-4 with Jaelen Phillips and Melvin Ingram as the outside rushers, both of whom are more fast then strong.  Personally I think he is a better option at RT then McDermott or Hermanns, he has pro experience and if he is a decent run blocker, we do want to be establishing the run and he can help us there.

2. Brown is active but not ready to start.   Then we keep AVT at LT, Ogbuehi at RT and Herbig at RG.

3.  Brown is healthy enough to start at LT.  We move AVT to RT and keep Herbig at RG.  This again is likely our best 5 but you dont want to move AVT TOO much.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Id imagine he gets moved to IR and Duane Brown is activated.  This gives us a few options for OL on Sunday.

1.  Brown is healthy enough to start at LT.  We move AVT back to RG and use Cedric Ogbuehi at RT. 

(Ogbuehi has been mostly a RT the past few seasons, is athletic and better in the run game then as a pass protector.  He isnt very strong and is very succeptible to bull rushes.  Miami runs a 3-4 with Jaelen Phillips and Melvin Ingram as the outside rushers, both of whom are more fast then strong.  Personally I think he is a better option at RT then McDermott or Hermanns, he has pro experience and if he is a decent run blocker, we do want to be establishing the run and he can help us there.

2. Brown is active but not ready to start.   Then we keep AVT at LT, Ogbuehi at RT and Herbig at RG.

3.  Brown is healthy enough to start at LT.  We move AVT to RT and keep Herbig at RG.  This again is likely our best 5 but you dont want to move AVT TOO much.

I think option 3 is the most likely - if I had to guess.

I also think given how well he played....NYJ should just transition to LT or RT long term. Dude's versatility is off the charts. He will command a big payday, so get the best bang for our buck and re-sign this beast as a (RT I'd say) long term in another year or so.

When Fant and Brown are both activated again - then you can have AVT at Guard to finish out the season but next offseason I'd dedicate a permanent switch for AVT to tackle.

Becton is done ski - Brown won't be back - Fant might be back but at LT at a reasonable $ and we'll probably be looking to draft a longterm solution at LT next draft.

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

I sure hope this is true, but last year didn't we hear that early on about Becton....and he ended up missing nearly the entire year?  Knee injuries can take frustratingly long to full heal. I'm going through that myself right now.

Mitchell is not Becton. They just play the same position. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I sure hope this is true, but last year didn't we hear that early on about Becton....and he ended up missing nearly the entire year?  Knee injuries can take frustratingly long to full heal. I'm going through that myself right now.

The difference between Becton & Mitchell is that Becton is a lazy bum.

He stops moving his feet and relies on his long arms to shove the rusher away

Mitchell's feet and arms are active and he uses them in coordination

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, vtbx said:

Did anyone see the injury? Seems as if the broadcast never showed a replay for Mitchell and Quincy from last week.

I didn't see it but someone told me it looked like a DL from Pittsburgh went right at his legs. But I can't confirm.