Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is upbeat because it may not disqualify some of the younger guys like a Johnson or Petulo who haven’t called plays yet. Sounds like MLF was shown the door because he’s a socially inept Dick, not because he was young or not qualified.

Wilson said he let mistakes go in practice, had no plan for practice, and late in the year defenses knew what they were doing, a poster here did an analysis on his opening drives , they were predictable trash, and the 1st quarter scoring was 31st. He got too cute in the red zone, abandoned the FB position after Bawden got hurt after using it all summer. 

He’s a crap teacher, crap coach, crap coordinator. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

Wilson said he let mistakes go in practice, had no plan for practice, and late in the year defenses knew what they were doing, a poster here did an analysis on his opening drives , they were predictable trash, and the 1st quarter scoring was 31st. He got too cute in the red zone, abandoned the FB position after Bawden got hurt after using it all summer. 

He’s a crap teacher, crap coach, crap coordinator. 

He is the worst OC we have ever had. And Saleh enabled him. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

It would never happen, but a Greg Roman, Justin Fields combo would be interesting. With Chicago having the #1 pick, it's possible they take the more traditional Bryce Young. Although, they'll get a boat load in a trade down scenario. 

If there is some team that will pay a lot for Fields I'd do that in heart beat if I was the Bears.  Oh they would get eviscerated by fans an media but it would be the smart thing to do.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

The firing of MLF is not black and white. It wasn't solely due to Zach's development, it wasn't solely due to offensive production, it wasn't solely due to a present disconnect with the players. Many times coaches are fired as a scapegoat, but I don't think this is one of those times. Good coaches get fired- it happens. Kyle Shanahan has been fired as an OC. The problem with LaFleur really came down to his inability to clearly communicate. Is he articulate? Yes. Intellegent? Yes. Ethical? Yes. Transparent? No. Confrontational? No. 

It's one thing to be confrontational in an abrasive way, another to be confrontational in a positive way. One is a means to push people in a way to incite a conflict, the other is a means to challenge people in a way to solve collective problems. If you can't be clear and concise with people who work with and for you (from players, to staff, to head coach, to front office), it's going to be very hard to identity and resolve problems collectively. Mike LaFleur lacked these aspects of his personality/approach. He said the right things in the media and behind closed doors that made him sound like a leader (i.e. "its on me"), but actions speak louder than words. It was something that was clear last offseason, with MLF and Saleh agreeing that he needed to be a better leader and a better communicator. Unfortunately he didn't take those strides. 

Whoever they add as the OC is going to be someone they feel can be the opposite of what MLF was from a personality standpoint. Communication and leadership traits will be key. 

which is all the more shocking that they hired him in the firstplace when Saleh and JD are so big on communication and leadership themselves. Its not like Saleh didn't know who MLF was beforehand...

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think his personality issues were a factor but just like @football guy's recent post, it is a multitude of things.  My crude approach to LaFleur is still that he was put in the wrong role, in the wrong place ant the wrong time.  He's young enough to make a big comeback if he makes an effort to fix some of his leadership issues, namely relationships and communication with his guys,  

Yes and don't get me wrong, I think people read comments about him and see the "tough love" statement that Steve Young made and confuse that with MLF being an a$$hole. Couldn't be further from the opposite. If anything, he wasn't an a$$hole enough. He was not able to play the "good cop, bad cop" game at all. He didn't challenge the players man-to-man. He wouldn't criticize them when they needed to be. The guy doesn't even curse. On the flip side, he didn't get close with players and was somewhat reserved. That's not good either.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Yes and don't get me wrong, I think people read comments about him and see the "tough love" statement that Steve Young made and confuse that with MLF being an a$$hole. Couldn't be further from the opposite. If anything, he wasn't an a$$hole enough. He was not able to play the "good cop, bad cop" game at all. He didn't challenge the players man-to-man. He wouldn't criticize them when they needed to be. The guy doesn't even curse. On the flip side, he didn't get close with players and was somewhat reserved. That's not good either.

He was very critical of Becton that 1st summer and made some surprising comments during pressers.  I have not heard he be critical of any other player like that since...maybe Mims a little bit but not much.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol after Bill Callahan said no, it's like they said "fuk- anyone else over there want to do this?"

I have no idea if Chad O'Shea could be a decent OC for us  But I would really hate to see us go from one WR Coach/passing game coordinator right to another.  On the other hand, at least O'Shea did spend a year as an OC in Miami under Brian Flores.  

Hoping we can do better.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have no idea if Chad O'Shea could be a decent OC for us  But I would really hate to see us go from one WR Coach/passing game coordinator right to another.  On the other hand, at least O'Shea did spend a year as an OC in Miami under Brian Flores.  

Hoping we can do better.

Agreed. But I'd like to see them figure out a way to pair Roman w/a good passing game coordinator.

38 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets already had a preliminary conversation with Reich. If he doesn’t land a HC job sounds like he’ll be open to an official interview 

You want Balsy?If Reich would keep Ulbrich, offer him the HC job today. Woody’s Hess moment.And it probably gets you Johnson and Petulo.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Hoping we can do better.

He also spent a few yrs with the Vikes when Brad Childress was the HC..Perhaps Childress could be the Senior offensive assistant (he spent 2019 w/the Bears in that role)...Childress is from the Andy Reid tree