Josina Anderson: Jets Potentially Considering Quarterbacks "who are not necessarily known to be available"

Here is the article the tweet links to:

1. Prediction: The Packers are finished with Aaron Rodgers and will trade him.

The way the 2022 season unraveled for Green Bay affirms that the Packers might have been best off trading Rodgers last offseason instead of entering into a market-setting contract extension with him. That extension does give the team all offseason to find a trading partner before a $58.3 million option bonus is due in Week 1.

“I think the Packers are done with him,” a longtime NFL team executive said on the condition of anonymity for competitive reasons. “The time to jump off was last year. They missed the ability to maximize their compensation. And they missed the playoffs. When they moved Davante (Adams), they should have moved Aaron and said, ‘We are starting over and we have all these picks.’ They could have sent him to Denver.”

The jumping-off point is even more obvious now. Rodgers’ weekly pontifications through The Pat McAfee Show have included suggestions the team should re-sign declining veteran players who are Rodgers’ friends, while questioning whether the Packers will provide the best opportunity for him to win additional MVP awards

“I think he showed his true colors last offseason when he held them hostage and took $50 million a year,” another exec said. “He knew he could get his best deal from the Packers, and now that he has it, now that he has secured the bag, he is open to leaving.”

The Jets have been rumored as a logical landing spot for Rodgers based on their need at the position and the presence of new offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, who coached Rodgers in Green Bay. Execs have pointed to Tennessee as an intriguing potential landing spot. The Packers might not trade Rodgers to an NFC contender such as San Francisco even if the 49ers were interested in absorbing the contractual ramifications.

“Tennessee is a great spot for him,” the first exec said. “I could totally see that,” the second exec said. What about the Jets? “I just don’t know that he is going to want to be in New York,” the first exec said. “Mike Vrabel and Tennessee seem more his pace. Whether Vrabel wants to put up with his s—, who knows? But Matt LaFleur was the offensive coordinator with Vrabel, so Vrabel could pick his brain. Robert Saleh and LaFleur are close. Those teams all have ties.”

The Raiders are also in the market for a quarterback pending Carr’s expected departure from the team.

“Vegas would be fine for him,” the first exec said. “It just seems like a weird fit, Rodgers’ personality and Josh McDaniels. I think Josh would probably rather develop his own guy than have Rodgers, and I think he’d rather have (Jimmy) Garoppolo than Rodgers.”

Quite a few other teams need quarterbacks and could be in the mix, depending on factors that include Rodgers’ interest in those markets. The bottom line is that NFL execs think the Packers are more likely to trade Rodgers than to hold onto him.

“Who are these guys?” a veteran coach countered. “I’d love to be the hypothetical owner in Green Bay listening to the GM and president present the trade case to me so I could reply, ‘OK, in summary, you want to trade an MVP-caliber player who still creates 2-3 wins per season, so we can attempt to solidify our evaluation of our third-year drafted quarterback while he is throwing to sub-average weaponry? It sounds like we are patterning ourselves after our rivals. Which one, Chicago?

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Execs have pointed to Tennessee as an intriguing potential landing spot. The Packers might not trade Rodgers to an NFC contender such as San Francisco even if the 49ers were interested in absorbing the contractual ramifications.

“Tennessee is a great spot for him,” the first exec said. “I could totally see that,” the second exec said. What about the Jets? “I just don’t know that he is going to want to be in New York,” the first exec said. “Mike Vrabel and Tennessee seem more his pace. Whether Vrabel wants to put up with his s—, who knows? But Matt LaFleur was the offensive coordinator with Vrabel, so Vrabel could pick his brain. Robert Saleh and LaFleur are close. Those teams all have ties.”

Tennessee: Robert Woods & Treylon Burkes are WR #1 and #2. Yes you have D. Henry but when teams shut him down, the results are ugly. They can trade Tannehil for a 3rd or 4th but give that pick right back to GB.

Jets have OROY Garrett Wilson and Hall and Becton & AVT

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

WENTZZZZZ

Even though he’s terrible he’d be the best QB in the room but if you have to give up anything I’d hold my nose and get Mayfield as he only costs money and no draft picks. Neither options are all that exciting (both options suck) but at least will give us some semblance of a QB 

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, T0mShane said:

Tannehill probably. Huge cap number, but Vrabel insists they’re hanging on to him.

We be in playoffs with tanny. Hell we win 12 games last year with him. He feed Garret like AJ brown all day. Tanny is a good qb. Literally essence of a decent to good qb every wr on the te would love him. He can make progression s and throw guys open. I be all about tanny for a year or two

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Seriously 

The same goofs who say adding Rodgers is going to be a disaster are the same slapdicks who want to add Gardner Minshew or retain Mike White and hope against all odds that they turn out to be anything more than career backups.

This is the most delusional, dickless approach that I can fathom.

Go big or go home.

”Oh no, Rodgers might leave us after a year or two and we’ll be back to square whatever the f*ck we’ve been for the last 12 years”

Jeepers…

Of we sign Minshew I'm going to find out where @Jetsfan80lives and fight him

• Haha 1