Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

18 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Curiouis to know why you would argue that Hackett is the worst OC when his play calling and coaching lead to 2 MVP seasons for his QB

You're confusing cause and effect.  Rodgers had 2 MVP seasons before Hackett had anything to do with him.  The better argument is Hackett got a HC gig as a result of Aaron Rodgers and once he got the opportunity shat  himself.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Or maybe instead of whining about everything, people are just hoping for the best, even if they don't 100% think it will work out, because not everything is about us and being right. We don't know sh*t. We can only hope it works out, and if you think there are no positives, you're out of your mind. But as long as the Jets don't win a Super Bowl, which is likely, you can say you're right. Which is all that matters to you

I like be right that's true 

But hope, faith, these things should be earned 

It's automatic that we get our hopes up every offseason 

You guys are worried about my mental health. I'm worried about yours 

Any concerns that if this trade goes through the NFL front offices, teams, and media feel so embarassed and betrayed by Rogers playing them for fools over the last several weeks that they fully turn on Rogers and it effects the Jets on the field? (refs/coverage by media, ect) I'm starting to.....

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Today is the 1 year anniversary of his last restructured contract, players can only restructure once per year. This could be the deadline Rodgers referred to. JD may have convinced the Packers to eat some salary.

Could be. 

Good on the salary front, but that'd surely be a give & take (they eat salary in exchange for higher draft pick compensation). Depends how much salary, and in exchange for how much higher/more pick(s), but I doubt we'll be privy to both scenarios (with & without them eating salary).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You're confusing cause and effect.  Rodgers had 2 MVP seasons before Hackett had anything to do with him.  The better argument is Hackett got a HC gig as a result of Aaron Rodgers and once he got the opportunity shat  himself.

He owes his career to Rodgers as he has failed everywhere else 

17 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

the last 2 seasons he was an OC, his QB won the MVP 

This stat everyone keeps quoting about Rodgers back to back mvp is about as relevant as the stat that mark Sanchez is the team leader in playoff wins 

It's technically true but nothing to feel good about. 

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

Any concerns that if this trade goes through the NFL front offices, teams, and media feel so embarassed and betrayed by Rogers playing them for fools over the last several weeks that they fully turn on Rogers and it effects the Jets on the field (refs/coverage by media, ect) I'm starting to.....

Soothbringer: The Trial of the Righteous

7 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Any concerns that if this trade goes through the NFL front offices, teams, and media feel so embarassed and betrayed by Rogers playing them for fools over the last several weeks that they fully turn on Rogers and it effects the Jets on the field? (refs/coverage by media, ect) I'm starting to.....

Not like refs and media coverage were favorable for the Jets to begin with.

I may be in the minority here, but I see the Jets with a good, and improving, roster, but not a great one.  Brining in Rodgers and basically mortgaging 2025+ for a chance to get Rodgers and some other players to make a deep playoff run seems like slightly irresponsible fun.  But if the draft pick price for Rodgers is too high such that it would further cripple both the future and plan to make a go for it with Rodgers (i.e. the 2023 picks), I would be good with building the roster up, rolling with Mayfield or someone who can be traded for (like Tannehill), maybe taking a chance in the draft, and roll forward.  With Mayfield or Tannehill last year, we make the playoffs.  The Jets should only be desperate if Woody is desperate or Saleh/JD are worrying about being fired.  Woody should not care about the later.

If the Packers don't offload Rodgers' contract, they are completely screwed.  They will not be able to afford Love or anyone else for that matter.  they will get stuck with him in 2024.  They should be desperate to move this forward.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, football guy said:

There's a lot coming out from Schefter about the Packers wanting two 1st round picks. That's what they wanted very early on in the process. It has come down since. I've maintained that it will ultimately cost something like a 1st and a 2nd round pick compensation. I do think it will ultimately wind up being our 2023 2nd + a conditional 2024 selection that has a high likelihood of becoming a 1st + Corey Davis. Anything less is a massive win. 

What I don't know: would the Packers eat a large chunk of the money in exchange for the 1st round pick? 

that's a big overpay (first rounder next year being high likelyhood).  

1 minute ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

IM TELLING YOU HES NOT GONNA SAY ANYTHING SPECIFIC

He might go on and say...

1) I'm coming back to play football

2) I want to play for the NY Jets

3) This hold up is the Jets and GB coming to trade price

I can't see anything else he would announce unless it's a done deal.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This stat everyone keeps quoting about Rodgers back to back mvp is about as relevant as the stat that mark Sanchez is the team leader in playoff wins 

It's technically true but nothing to feel good about. 

He didn't deserve his last MVP Josh Allen did.

Rodgers played a game against Brady that year both throwing multiple ints.

Brady put together one good drive to win the game.  Mahomes didn't

deserve the MVPs they gave him for the season & Super Bowl, Hurts

deserved both. PM should have won Offensive player of the year

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

maintain a top 5 defense

upgrade to a top 10 offense with potential to be top 5

That's a superbowl contender all day every day. Jets fans are scarred to the point they fear taking a shot.

Too many Jets fans have unknowingly grown comfortable seeing the Jets play in obscurity, hiding our shame in the Sunday 1pm window in front of regional audiences.

The fan base in full of emotional shut-ins afraid of sunlight.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You obnoxiously told us for 2 weeks there was no way Rodgers was coming to the Jets and we were all stupid for believe he might. Typing in all caps now doesn't change the fact that no one will ever listen to you again.

You listened to him before? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's a sliding scale of poetry from "let me compare thee to a summer's day" all the way to bukowski 

Bukowski is real and the masses hate him.

Right now this board is in pure sonnet mode. 

Actually, I'd go with "How do I Love Thee? Let Me Count the Ways" (Sonnet 43 by Elizabeth Barret Browning) as an analogy for some Jets' fans love affair with Rodgers. Her sonnet is probably the ultimate example of pure unadulterated love in poetry. IMHO, of course.

Now, if the Jets do end up giving up a couple of first rounders for Rodgers, and the Jets crash and burn this season, perhaps we should be citing "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg or some T.S. Eliot stuff... "The Hollow Men" is about as bleak as it gets.

:-)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

41 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

you are working under the assumption the basic terms of the trade haven't been agreed upon.  perhaps there is some fine tuning still going on on picking up money (or maybe not), but i doubt at the 11th hour GB suddenly and dramatically increased the ask.

JD's track record on trades is pretty freakin good.  i'm not worried he's going to lose a game of chicken with a team looking to off-load a $60 million payment obligation whose team president has effectively stated publicly they don't want rodgers back.  

We have no idea when the terms were negotiated or if they have changed at any point in time.

Douglas is really good with trades as long as he can be patient or tell the other team no thanks.

The Jets cant tell the other team no thanks they have gone all in on Rodgers long ago.

We shall see what he cost is.  If the Packers have no leverage and if Douglas is still the master negotiator we should be getting Rodgers dirt cheap.