Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

Don't have an issue with Lazard think he is better WR then Davis issue I have is signing Randall Cobb Beckham both WRs past their prime means Moore and  Mims are goners and Garrett Wilson will shifted to the side. At what cost is this to the Jets future they are bleeding through the salary cap damaging the core roster and for what a 1 to 2 yrs when Rogers leave this roster will be dicimated. Where are they getting the money to sign all these guys when they have holes in OL and at LB and are losing 3 DT to free agency. WR was the strongest point of this team they don't need 2 over the hill WRs 

3 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

Don't have an issue with Lazard think he is better WR then Davis issue I have is signing Randall Cobb Beckham both WRs past their prime means Moore and  Mims are goners and Garrett Wilson will shifted to the side. At what cost is this to the Jets future they are bleeding through the salary cap damaging the core roster and for what a 1 to 2 yrs when Rogers leave this roster will be dicimated. Where are they getting the money to sign all these guys when they have holes in OL and at LB and are losing 3 DT to free agency. WR was the strongest point of this team they don't need 2 over the hill WRs 

LOL. "Garrett Wilson will be shifted to the side".  Good lord.  Get a grip. Take a pill.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

So, again, you have no issue as long as they agree with you. Got it 

wut?  You made your argument.  Well done. Pat on the ol' back.  Now repeat it to everyone a hundred more times. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm crying over getting trash players because they are buddies with Rodgers and that combo failed last year in green bay and on top of it comes the compensatory pick issue.

The Packers love the jets right now love love love us, we are taking an over priced qb off their hands they want nothing to do with.  We are taking old and jag players off their hands and giving them additions to the comp formula and we do not even know what we are giving to them in the trade.

As of right now the packers 2nd fav team in the league is the NY Jets

Once AR signs this will be the best top to bottom Jets team in 20 years.  Impossible to argue otherwise. ‘09 and ‘10 don’t come close because Mark Sanchez was the QB.

If you get that why are you being so negative?

You scared when AR leaves we won’t make the playoffs, like the last 12 years without AR

95% of the fans seem to be in support of the transformation that’s happening as we speak. Similar to the Brady Bucs I’d imagine.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, derp said:

It’s funny, you’re ragging on people calling it a big drop off and I’m ragging on those calling it a big upgrade. Pretty neutral. Favors who stays on the field, which if it tracks with recent history is better for Lazard but is ultimately TBD.

Agree with this, it's entirely on health and for the past two years, Lazard has been more durable. 

It’s a big deal if Rodgers wanted Lazard on board. He knows him pretty well. My opinion of him is that he was ok but not much above average. But I think he was improving. But overall imo Corey Davis is a better receiver. For a while he was Zach’s go-to guy. I didn’t see the entire contract but 4-44 is a lot of money for him. 

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the other element that people forget is that comp picks require a team to lose a greater number of Qualified UFAs than they acquire.  That's what actually gets you in the door to get any comp picks and then the $$$ value of the contracts of the lost UFAs leads you to the  specific round.  A team with a greater number of acquisitions of Qualified UFAs than losses is not likely to get any comp picks regardless of contract size of the losses.  In addition, you now have the comp picks for minority advancement within the coaching ranks, as peculiar as it is, for teams that lose guys like Saleh.  The team that loses a Saleh gets a pick if he qualifies as a minority.  Not sure of the terminology, but its paying off for some teams like the 49ers.

So as long a GB loses more UFAs then they sign and the value of contracts those UFAs sign for is more than GB signs guys for, they would be in for compensatory picks, correct?

If true, then we could potentially be helping them get 2024 compensatory picks by signing their UFAs as long as GB doesn't sign more than they lose for more $$$

Just now, Rangers9 said:

It’s a big deal if Rodgers wanted Lazard on board. He knows him pretty well. My opinion of him is that he was ok but not much above average. But I think he was improving. But overall imo Corey Davis is a better receiver. For a while he was Zach’s go-to guy. I didn’t see the entire contract but 4-44 is a lot of money for him. 

It's essentially a 2/22 deal from what I see.

46 minutes ago, bd71 said:

I’d rather have the player (Lazard) that gets the QB here.  Plus the team didn’t break the bank to get him.  

We're making a commitment to Aaron Rogers, and we're all in. Let's surround him with everything (within reason) he thinks he needs that can get the Jets to the SB. 

You cant halfway this crap. You got to go all in. 

All the great ones know this. Whether it's a coach or a QB, they know what it takes, even though there are no guarantees. There never is. But if you want it, you have to go all in. 

We have crossed the Rubicon, folks. The die is cast. 

This is our shot at glory. You may as well get on board with the program, because we can't go back. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Only 22 million guaranteed. Without knowing SB, that could easily be a 6-8 million cap hit for the first 2 years and a way out in year 3 or 4 with some dead money.

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

So as long a GB loses more UFAs then they sign and the value of contracts those UFAs sign for is more than GB signs guys for, they would be in for compensatory picks, correct?

If true, then we could potentially be helping them get 2024 compensatory picks by signing their UFAs as long as GB doesn't sign more than they lose for more $$$

Exactly.  But if you think about it, Packers have to be selective with any UFA's they sign so as not to acquire more than they lose. And make sure the value of the contracts is to their advantage. That's a tall order and it could severely handicap them during free agency.  Me? I'd rather get whatever UFAs I want for my team right now and not worry all that much about getting 2024 comp picks.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Never underestimate Lazard's intangibles. Rodgers know him. He knows he'll do the dirty jobs to make a play work. 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Exactly.  But if you think about it, Packers have to be selective with any UFA's they sign so as not to acquire more than they lose. And make sure the value of the contracts is to their advantage. That's a tall order and it could severely handicap them during free agency.  Me? I'd rather get whatever UFAs I want for my team right now and not worry all that much about getting 2024 comp picks.

Agree. All true. Unless they are committed to a 1 or 2 year rebuild thru the draft and UDFAs

earlier said i was "meh" with lazard and after seeing the contract (at least totals, not specifics), i'll move from "meh" to "fine"

big possession WR that's a good blocker, knows the scheme, and (assumedly) is wanted by the (assumed) QB

i liked the davis signing couple years back, but he's disappointed.  if it's a 1-for-1 swap, then i have no problem here.

fortunately the WR market seems to have corrected some.  i feared a christian kirk like contract for WRs like lazard.  this isn't a cap breaker and seems fair market value for a #2 type FA WR.

47 minutes ago, derp said:

Davis’ stats after four years when he signed here were better than Lazard’s after four years at signing here. We’ll see how it progresses going forward. Hopefully Lazard going forward is better than Davis’ last two years.

It's a few years later after the receiver market blew up.  

11 million today is like 7 million three years ago. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I love that he’s a good blocking receiver.  My recall is that he’s not a highly skilled receiver, he’s ok, average. I think for 11 a year you want someone who makes more plays. I hope we don’t sign everyone on Rodger’s list. 

14tds in 2 years is making some plays. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tezza said:

I know #13 is available but how soon do they assign jersey numbers to FA acquisitions? 

Do we need to wait until after pre season OR does a team assign a number so they can start cashing in on those jersey sales?

#13 isn't available, it's retired for Don Maynard.

I'd guess Lazard may go with the #5 just vacated by Mike White - Lazard wore that number in college.

1 hour ago, nyjets1969 said:

Garrett Wilson is not being shifted down man he's the #1 receiver